Search results

1. E

Can you identify this HO boxcar?

Please identfy this car's maker. Is it old? How much is it worth? It is made of wood with tin pieces overlaid. The walkway and ends of the car are made of brass. The couplers are made of cast potmetal and don't open. Central Georgia road #CG4567. It is put together with tiny brads or staples.
  2. E

For Circus Workers, Home Is Where the Train Is

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/11/nyregion/11metjournal.html?ref=nyregion About 250 people — performers, train crew members, porters, cooks, stagehands — live year round on the train, one of two that crisscross the country carrying elephants, sequined costumes, stage equipment and the cast and...
  3. E

Interesting NY Times Amtrak article

http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/03/08/travel/08amtrak.html?em
  4. E

Great magnifier fluorescent lamp for hobby use - Nice!

Bought one of these nice lamps on eBay for $35.00 + $16.00 UPS shipping. Seller has 7 left on "buy it now". It has a big magnifier window and two lamps. I like it and so will you.:D...
  5. E

Disaster on the East McKeesport & Allegheny Railroad

I was glueing down grass and trees on my layout and the glue bottle blew up. :eek: Here's the result: :mad:
  6. E

Track Planning for Realistic Operation book!

I did a Google search for "ladder yard" and found the entire book Track Planning for Realistic Operation online at the link below...
  7. E

HO layout plan too large for my space

I found an HO scale penninsula layout that I really like, but it's too big for my space. My train room is a one-car garage that measures 12x19, but the useable space is 14x9. Any ideas on resizing and still keeping the 22" & 24"radius curves? :confused: Here's what I have currently. It's two...
  8. E

The US standard railroad gauge?

The US standard railroad gauge (distance between the rails) is 4 feet, 8.5 inches. That is an exceedingly odd number. Why was that gauge used? Because that is the way they built them in England, and English expatriates built the US railroads. ! Why did the English build them like that? ...
  9. E

Saturday photo fun - 1/31/09 - Add yours!

This is how they railroad in China: Measure twice, pour concrete once!
  10. E

Slovakian Tractor Power

When you can't find an engine...:D
  11. E

Pink foam insulation board for layout base

I am thinking of starting from scratch on my layout and use the pink foam insulation board as a base after I add 12" to the outside edge of my 4x8 tables. This will make each table 5x8 and allow me to have 28" radius curves. How does one fasten down track and ground throw switches on foam...
  12. E

DCC & DC on layout

Several of my engines are DCC and my wife bought an NCE Power Cab for my Christmas present. The rest of my engines are DC. I have two main lines and thought I could run one on DCC, and the other one on DC. Has anyone else done this? It'd be cheaper than installing decoders in all of my engines.

Back