Track Planning for Realistic Operation book!

I use it for looking up wierd technical stuff, mostly where either I don't want to spend the $ on a manual as it mostly 'curiosity', or just need 'a bit' of information..
some times it's a bit frustrating as they randomly have pages that are not viewable. otherwise how do they get you to buy the book...:)
sometimes a good part is shown, and the next three pages ...uh nope.. gotta buy the book...:)

Thank you for pointing out that this is just a sample of the book. I thought it was complete.:mad:

I realised something was wrong when I couldn't right click to save pages or pictures.:confused:

I have purchased the book used from Alibris.com.:D

Now I can use the book to help me build a double-ended ladder yard amonst other things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Indeed, that's the "bible" for most of us and well worth the price. Mine is dogeared with the pages stapeled in and I still use it frequently. I think you may have your term backward, though. It's usually called a yard ladder, e.g., the track that all the other tracks in the yard use as a lead. Having a double ended yard is only a dream for me since I don't have the space but it will make operations on your railroad a lot more fun and interesting.

yes... my original plan for my layout called for a double-ended yard but i quickly realized i didn't have the space.
and that is a great book. looked small when i first got it but it has all i needed to know and more

curious, what did your book cost you on Alibris??
I looked a bit on the google book preview as well, and did a buy it now on ebay for $13.59 plus around $6 shipping....
wish I would have had this book before I started my first layout...but at least I didn't do 'quite everything' wrong, just most...:)

glad this is 'just a hobby' and don't have to try and justify the time and expense..:0

enjoy..

The book cost $15.00 with $3.99 shipping for a total of $17.99. There was a slightly cheaper copy, but the description said it was beat up.

I almost did a "Buy it now" on Amazon, but I had a coupon for Alibris.:cool:

Since I am going to tear my layout apart and basically start over, this book will be invaluable.

Last edited by a moderator:
... Since I am going to tear my layout apart and basically start over, this book will be invaluable.

I built my existing layout before I bought and read the Armstrong Book, and afterward I found a half-dozen places that I had screwed up. Luckily I didn't have to tear the whole thing down, but I did redo the track work in several areas.

Back