Search results

1. Southwest Chief

Operating air raid siren

The air raid siren was a resin kit I purchased from Ralph Ratcliffe Models. Unfortunately I just found out they are no longer in business. I used a Walthers motor and a tube within a tube to animate it.
  2. Southwest Chief

Operating air raid siren

Thanks, Most of the military vehicles are by Roco/Herpa. The barracks were from Micro Trains. Unfortunately it appears their HO line of structures is no longer available.
  3. Southwest Chief

Operating air raid siren

Got the air raid siren hooked up and working on my HO scale layout. A necessity for my late 1950s cold war era layout. Here is a YouTube video link to see and hear it in operation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06yY0NIRMyo
  4. Southwest Chief

Some pics of my progressing HO layout

Thanks Lynn, It was pretty easy mapping switches on our layout since there are only 6.
  5. Southwest Chief

Been a long time since I updated this thread. But I finally got the wiring hooked up to my CTC style control box for the HO layout. The track diagram was custom made for us by ControlTrainComponents. The metal shell (ctc box) was custom built by a friend who works with metal fabrication...
  6. Southwest Chief

MEC Double Track Snowplow in the Desert.....

Awesome job on the plow. Just like you in Bahrain, the troops on my HO layout's desert base need a plow for all the sand. Again, nice job on the plow and thank you for your service.
  7. Southwest Chief

Been hooking up more and more structure lights. Here are two pics showing some of the layout lighting:
  8. Southwest Chief

Testing out the Motel "neon" sign and some other lights. Hmmm, hard to capture the "neon" lettering with my camera. Well at least it looks good in person :o
  9. Southwest Chief

Did some work on the motel and the retaining wall.
  10. Southwest Chief

Night time at the market

Thanks for the idea Charles. Gloss blue tiles would look fantastic on the Rexall. I'll definitely do that. And yep it's the City Classics kit. I also have a "neon" sign for it. That's what the two slots over the entrance are for.
  11. Southwest Chief

Night time at the market

Summit Customcuts are a bit too modern for the 50s, but they sure make great looking structure kits. If I ever did a modern era module, Summit kits are on the list. I hear ya on most HO kits having an eastern/midwestern look. If you are looking for 50s - 60s era California style buildings...
  12. Southwest Chief

Night time at the market

Wow Charles. Fantastic super market. The lighting is great. White on black speed sign is interesting. Was that a regional thing or nation wide in 1956? Montanan, Ed's Market is definitely a Suydam kit. Alpine Division Scale Models is the present day company name. Here's my version of...
  13. Southwest Chief

The bridge to nowhere finally goes somewhere :rolleyes: I spent most of the day cutting, shaving, and sculpting foam board to make the embankment for the overpass. My local Home Depot had 2' x 2' squares of 1 inch thick foam board. They call them project panels. It's great that the...
  14. Southwest Chief

Thanks Tony.
  15. Southwest Chief

My bus didn't make the jump. Although there was nothing to jump to. To use one of my favorite quotes from Speed..."Oh Darn" I'm wondering how best to finish the highway approach? Extruded Foam insulation I guess might work. But I've never worked with the stuff before. It has to be...
  16. Southwest Chief

Thanks Ken Yes Backdrop Warehouse. For years we had some old Walthers backdrops. Not great, but they did the job. But what an awesome improvement when we got the new backdrops. It's made up of two of their Goffs, CA backdrops (BG HL 96Aw and BG HL 96Bw). They can be found in the middle of...
  17. Southwest Chief

Ha Ha. That poor bus driver is still stuck up there. Lately I've been working on an HO scale Los Angeles Union Station diorama, so haven't had much time for work on the HO layout. And during the summer I spent most of my time working on the outdoor G scale layout. Link to Large...
  18. Southwest Chief

Lets do it again Favorite photo

I like this one (especially when viewing the full size image...link below) Link to full size image
  19. Southwest Chief

They are pretty tight. I believe the inner track is tighter then 18" in some spots. So this obviously limits what I can run. I had to re-truck the Hi-Levels (passenger cars) with truck mounted couplers so they could navigate the layout. If you look close you might notice the trucks are black...
  20. Southwest Chief

Thanks all. Yes the buildings are all lit. Although right now the power isn't hooked up. I'm simplifying the wiring. The signals also operate. Not automatically, but I can change the signal color via rotary switches. Maybe one day I'll get an operating signal system. I'd have to do...

Back