Some pics of my progressing HO layout

Here are four photos of my progressing HO scale layout. I tried to get all four angles to show as much of the entire layout as I could:

IjOEmEv.jpg

Link to very large photo

cu8tRaC.jpg

Link to very large photo

zklsQvQ.jpg

Link to very large photo

u6NsJWy.jpg

Link to very large photo

The layout is based on the Santa Fe Railway in Southern California during the late 1950s. We're trying to get a wide aspect of California from orange groves to the Mojave desert.

The plywood boards, curtains, and most of the track design date back to 1973 when my dad first started this layout. Of course things have changed since then; converting to DCC, new sound locos, new rolling stock, etc...but surprisingly the track hasn't changed all that much. Still mostly the original Atlas code 100 flex track. The only things I've done to the track are ease a few curves where I could and replaced the turnouts to PECO. In the last few years I have been rehabilitating the town sections and roads, adding scenery, and ballasting the track.

As you can see there is still a lot to do, but it sure is fun work.

Awesome - I think you've nailed it!:cool: My favorite scene on there is the suburban neighborhood in the top photo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all.

Yes the buildings are all lit. Although right now the power isn't hooked up. I'm simplifying the wiring.

The signals also operate. Not automatically, but I can change the signal color via rotary switches. Maybe one day I'll get an operating signal system. I'd have to do some research into what type of signaling the Santa Fe had. Probably ABS at that time.

Matt, You may have work to do but that layout looks 'complete' not finished but complete in the sense there is no look of the Plywood Pacific' to it. Very nicely done.

Well executed. I like havig a decent size town in a layout. It give a feeling of a community besides having just trains. Like it.

Very nice! Do you know what radius you have on your curves with the flex track? Some of the curves look a little tight. Other than that, looks AWESOME!!!

Very nice! Do you know what radius you have on your curves with the flex track? Some of the curves look a little tight. Other than that, looks AWESOME!!!

They are pretty tight. I believe the inner track is tighter then 18" in some spots. So this obviously limits what I can run.

I had to re-truck the Hi-Levels (passenger cars) with truck mounted couplers so they could navigate the layout. If you look close you might notice the trucks are black plastic. I still have to paint them silver.

Really nice! What is the size/dimensions?

I'll grab my tape measure and get the dimensions for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW Matt, just checked out all your scale railroads and your G scale youtube video. Impressive stuff!!! cool. lasm

Ha Ha. That poor bus driver is still stuck up there.

Lately I've been working on an HO scale Los Angeles Union Station diorama, so haven't had much time for work on the HO layout. And during the summer I spent most of my time working on the outdoor G scale layout.

OZdrpWS.jpg

Link to Large Image

OcdN2eF.jpg

Link to Large Image

At least the orange grove trees have leaves (flocking) since those last photos I posted here. Though no oranges yet. Well there is one orange I did for a test. See if you can spot it...might have to see the large version of the photo though to see it.

pXVk0TE.jpg

Link to Large Image

Back