Inglenook or tuning fork ?

Hello there,
I had planned to build a 4'x6' layout but I discovered an absolutely brilliant idea:

Another Build - 1 ft x 6.5 ft Shelf Layout

I think I'm going to change my plans very soon.
I’m glad you found some inspiration with my shelf layout! What scale are you hoping to work with? The main question comes down to what kind of modeling are you hoping to do? A secondary question is do you want continuous running or point-to-point operations?

I created this shelf layout because of two reasons. The first reason was that I was asked to display a layout at a train show and I needed something portable. The second was that I live in a rather small apartment and in terms of HO scale, this is the best I could do.

Personally, I like micro-layouts and other smaller single industry layouts. This type of shelf layout serves me well because it meets both my space requirements and operational interests.

Many would probably find a layout of this size boring but this gives me about a 30 minute operations session when run prototypically which is another positive attribute for me!

Hope this helps!

What scale are you hoping to work with?
HO
The main question comes down to what kind of modeling are you hoping to do?
Very simple !
A secondary question is do you want continuous running or point-to-point operations?
But I think 4 ft x 6 ft seems very big for my small apartment
Hope this helps!
Of course, it really helps. Thanks.

HO

Very simple !

But I think 4 ft x 6 ft seems very big for my small apartment

Of course, it really helps. Thanks.
Well if you’re looking for simple modeling in HO Scale then perhaps the shelf layout is for you…particularly since you mentioned that the 4’ x 6’ layout felt too big.

My track plan is simply an inglenook with a crossover but you could make your shelf layout a little more complex if you wish, especially if you made the length 8 feet:)

I was hoping to have mine at 8 feet but didn’t quite have enough space. At 6.5 feet, I am limited to shorter wheel base locomotives and 40 foot cars but by increasing the length of your shelf to 8 feet, you could utilize longer rolling stock if you wish. Not to mention, you could also have more space for scenery and structures if wanted.

Ah! The famous Inglenook Sidings layout. Actually the plan was taken from one in 1924. So 100 years old and stood the test of time.

I have a little more space one way and less in another with my Leeds Sovereign Street Station section 4ft by 1ft and a bit which can (and often is) operated by itself.

IMG_2916.JPG

Good news ! We had a family meeting yesterday and we came to a sort of "family agreement" (if you see what I mean - and you probably do). I can permanently have a small switching layout (4'4" x 3'3") in our bedroom. A small layout is always better than no layout at all.

Another very interesting idea IMHO:

Another very interesting idea IMHO:
Basically John Allen's original time saver layout with one additional switchback. That makes it very symmetrical operationally speaking.

I assume you've already discovered the classic website for micro layout design https://www.carendt.com/, maintained in the memory of small layout evangelist Carl Arendt--lots of inspiration for micro layouts to be found there. Those designs inspired my (slightly) larger layout, seen below, which combines a modified "Timesaver" switching layout (with a sharply curved spur to add an "L" and no switchback) industrial area with a compact "Inglenook" yard, in a 3'x6' area. The idea was to allow switching operation from the yard to the industries and back, with a runaround track in the middle. I also became the starting point for a medium-sized layout that has extended from this starting section in both directions, with one end disguised by the overpass on one end. A longer Inglenook with room for more than 2-3 cars has different operating potential, and may be better suited for those who prefer modern equipment and/or longer cars!

I really like the Leeds Sovereign Street Station photo above--it really shows the potential for a detailed mini layout to suggest a much larger space, and it sounds like that also became the starting point for a larger pike. Good luck with your 'Nook!

20231214_145154.jpg

Those designs inspired my (slightly) larger layout, seen below, which combines a modified "Timesaver" switching layout (with a sharply curved spur to add an "L" and no switchback) industrial area with a compact "Inglenook" yard, in a 3'x6' area. The idea was to allow switching operation from the yard to the industries and back, with a runaround track in the middle. It also became the starting point for a medium-sized layout that has extended from this starting section in both directions, with one end disguised by the overpass on one end. A longer Inglenook with room for more than 2-3 cars has different operating potential, and may be better suited for those who prefer modern equipment and/or longer cars!

View attachment 180913
That is a great combination of the three. I always liked the curved track in the roadways. Used to be plenty of those in down town Omaha.

Back