Running Bear's April 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning y'all. 41° and sunny. After enjoying 80° on Monday, yesterday the temperature remained in the low 40s. today it goes to the low 60s, and tomorrow morning, frost is predicted.....Spring in Jersey.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ok, yesterday, I had this reply with conversational replies and comments on photos, and I thought that I pushed the post reply button. Needless to say the post is not there, so unless I'm under moderation review, I failed to post it before closing the computer.:oops::oops::oops::oops:

So, to summarize, Garry, Chet, Curt, Justin, Dave and Willie, thanks for sharing your photographs. If I missed someone,I'm sorry.

To top it off, Microsoft keeps updating, every few days, which doesn't help. :(:(:(

Have a Great Day!

Boris

It has definitely given me an idea going forward. I have no shortage of woods to turn to to get some. And the finished product looks just the the wooded areas here. It only makes sense to do it that way.
Hi Justin,

I had to pull a lot of shrubs to find some that looked good. It turned out, if a tractor or bulldozer scraped off some of the top foot of soil, it was pretty easy finding suitable material.

bottom line is, it was harder finding the good roots than I thought.

Dave

Good morning, I see Karl, Terry, and Boris are up and at em,

I am early today, supposed to test some concrete but no one is on the job site. Don't tell me I got up at 5 am for nothing! At least I am getting paid.

They are still up in the air about how much snow we might get tonight. I hope none.

I had lots of time yesterday to keep up so don't have much to add this morning. Still looking for some more old timer NP or Soo Line box cars for the collection. I have notices some of the vintage Roundhouse kits come with staples to make the steps on the box car. This one I bought and another one I saw for sale had this setup:

IMG-0366.JPG

This is how it looks on the tracks. I could have made the steps stick out a little more, I think. Not sure if I will go over the weathering job a little more or not.

Another difference with this kit is it had a nicer brake wheel and wire rod for the brake. Also, the floor/bottom had a suitable coat of paint.

IMG-0378.JPG

No layout photo today, more later Dave

Patrick: If I remember correctly, the Family and Medical Leave Act allows family members to use sick time to care for ill family members.

Greg

You do and I can, but then I don't have perfect attendance.....lol

Morning all, partly cloudy and 68 on its way to 86. Tomorrow overcast and a high of 50. Wind advisories up for both days as that new front brings snow to those up north.

Dave, I loved those old Roundhouse Kits and am going to look for one at the Granite City Train Show on This Saturday, if conditions allow, with the winter storm that's coming! Is that a 40 foot car?

Good Morning All. A particularly warm 67° and partly cloudy skies. Saw 89° for nearly two hours yesterday, expecting the same today with a major drop in barometric pressure, maybe as low as 29.3". Expecting high winds as a result, near 30 mph. Then the cool front, tomorrow and Friday with a high of only 69° and Saturday, only 58°. Back to our normal on Sunday. Had to turn on the A/C in the house and train shed, the earliest in the year that I can ever remember. Repeat today.
Finished mowing the main parts of the yard yesterday, after two hours. Today I tackle some parts that haven't seen the tractor yet this year, areas around my pond that have been too wet to get to, and the drainage swale that runs about 400' x 25' on the west and northwest between the yard and hayfield.

Thanks for the likes and comments on the pictures yesterday; Dave, Chet, Jim, Justin, Joe, Curt, Garry, Phil, and any others that I might have missed.
Here's a few shots of my largest grain elevator.
04-08-12 004.JPG

04-08-12 003.JPG
04-08-12 002.JPG

OK, I didn't get the top of the syructure in either picture, I'll work on my composition skills!:confused:

Didn't do a whole lot in the train shed yesterday, despite spending over two hours out there. Continued adding ground foam and field grass to the current project area and ran trains. Then did some emergency maintenance on a tank car with dragging couplers. Funny that I did an inspection on that car about three months ago!

Chet - Continued best wishes on your therapy. Good progress report so far. Your pictures yesterday gave me an idea that I hadn't thought of, a candy shop. I need one somewhere and I have some structures that need a tenant.

Everybody have a great day.

Morning: Just coffee, Flo, I'll hold off on having breakfast a bit - not quite awake!
Someone left the Northern door open again, and the wind blew in some chilly weather. The high never got above 70 yesterday and into the very low 40's this morning. Think todays high will approach 70 again.

Went to hear "The Valley Winds" band last evening at a private Catholic School not far from here. BOY, some very nice music and a setting about as nice as I have ever been in. I remember when the school was built, and all done with private money - not through the church. ( There is some really BIG money behind it for sure) I know a couple of the band members and mostly they specialize in swing type music. Last evening was a mixture of different styles.

Trying to move some photos from email to the ASUS and can't do it.
It appears that MS or Google has done something to me again!

Good morning. 36 degrees to start off the day. We had all sorts of winter weather advisories posted yesterday expecting 6 to 12 inches of snow. Didn't happen. Intellicast is right on the ball as usual. Had about 10 minutes of snow a few minutes ago which melted when it hit the ground.

As for trains, I am still pretty well limited in what I can do without being able to reach into the layout very far. I did paint some more figures and also worked on the Walthers F-7. It does have a cab interior so figures were added as well as a firecracker antenna. I still need to add winterization hatches which I am out of. Will have to order some. I don't think I will add any more details after this. Did run trains and did a lot of switching.

Curt
- I like that track cleaning car. As soon as I win the lottery I may get one. Until then, dust monkeys will be on trains.

Terry
- Thanks for the post on hump day. Some times I don't know what day of the weeks it is. Retirement is nice.

Dave
- Those old Roundhouse kits are perfect for the era you are modeling. I put a few together, but they are a bit old for the period I am modeling. They couldn't be used in interchange service. They have been retired.

Willie
- Again you have posted some excellent photos. Your layout will have some really nice scenes and have so much for people to look at. Sort of reminds me of my club. One of the members wife is constantly upgrading the scenery and adding little mini scenes which I am still finding.

Here are a few more photos.

Here are some school kids enjoying some outdoor time. I have a fence to put around the back of the school on my procrastination list.

thumbnail_20190407_154341.jpg

Here's that local garage which is a kit bashed Woodland Scenics kit.

thumbnail_20190405_100740.jpg

Need another cup of coffee and an apple turnover.

Later.

Good Morning Everyone....overcast and light snow. We'll see what happens tonight and tomorrow when the bulk of the storm hits us. Sort looks like the main part of the storm will travel north of us, I hope.

Justin: Keep the pictures of the coal mines coming!

No one comments about my New River Coal Mine being in Wisconsin seeing that coal hasn't been found in Wisconsin...a modelers license. We do have a lot of limestone, gravel and sand mining operations in the state. A few miles from my home is Lannon, Wisconsin know for its limestone used in buildings as siding trim and crushed for construction use. The Village has many quarries and the village's structures actual are sitting on the limestone. The town wasn't named for the Lannon stone or which it the Village became famous, but named for the Lannon Indian tribe that lived in the area.

Dave and Mark: Boy, do I remember the Roundhouse kits and have several that I need to build. They were fun kits to assemble and a are a large step or two above the BB kits.

Yesterday, I did find a BB kit box with the original price tag of $2.25.

Sherrel: I love live music and when younger in Wisconsin the beer drinking age was 18 and many of the teen bars had live music and one in particular had named acts all for the $2.00 price of admission. I remember seeing Sha Sha Na, Tony's Tigers, New Colony Six and El Ray and the Night Beats who has the distinction of being the oldest Rock and Roll band in the United States. One place had free beer from 8:00 to 9:00 PM every Saturday night and the live music until Midnight. The 60's, the era of cars, beer, girls and music.

Tried installing the springs back into that sprung Kadee truck. The old eyes didn't help matters and I tried Chet's suggestion of using a sandwich baggie to work in to contain airborne springs. Still I lost several springs anyway. I ended up installing the Kadee wheel sets into another sprung truck frame.

I have a bunch of sprung trucks and I'll use instant rust to make them Junk Yard material or right of way debris.

Later.....

Greg

##################################

steve smith new job.jpg

For all you fellows who are not retired and still working! Happy Hump Day. -Greg

Last edited:
To top it off, Microsoft keeps updating, every few days, which doesn't help. :(:(:(

Have a Great Day!

Boris
I turned off automatic updates a long time ago. Not only are the updates annoyingly frequent, I use the computer so little that I had to sit through several updates every time I wanted to do something.

Just got back from having an MRI done on my shoulder. My next Orthopedic appointment isn't for another week, so it'll be a while before I hear what it shows (although I'm pretty sure I already know).

I've really got to get back down to the basement, but I'm going through another bout of insomnia that keeps me awake until 4 or 5 am, so I sleep until at least noon and l'ennui keeps me from doing anything while I'm awake. I had to be out of bed by 9 this morning, though, so if I can avoid taking a nap I should throw it off, tonight.

Beady - I was wondering where you were. It has been a while. Sure hope you can get the shoulder taken care of. I can understand how it interferes with sleep. I find that all I have to do is move into the wrong position while sleeping and you're awake in an instant. My PT has been going well and the therapist says that I am way ahead of where she expected me to be so shortly after surgery. Just waiting to have everything healed up and being able to get a good nights sleep. Get well soon.

Chet, insomnia is an almost constant problem. To be fair, the wife, god love her, doesn't help: she figures I need my sleep so is always turning off the alarm and refuses wake me up before noon (unless I have an appointment).

But, yeah, finding a comfortable sleeping position can be a real, ahem, pain. And it seems to be getting worse. I'm going to have to have a talk with my GP about pain relief. I already take Tramadol for my back, but my shoulder has increased the usage; I normally get 45 days out of a 28-day supply, but I'll be lucky to go a month, this cycle.

Just got back from grocery shopping with the wife, now I have to find something else to keep active. Maybe I'll go down to the basement and see if this time I can get the toilet unclogged (and only then get back to the trains).

JOE: Seeing the photos posted by Justin reminds me that I was looking at a 1968 MR yesterday and came across an article about (now I can't remember the Line) moving trash from Philadelphia to a strip mine in Pennsylvania.
There would be 7 cars of shredded refuse and 4 cars from the incinerator each day.
Was it the Reading? Are they still doing that?

Well it's only 89° right now with a relative humidity of about 30%. Good news is that the wind chill (25 mph) makes it feel like only 85°. Even better news is that this isn't SOCAL!:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back