Running Bear's December 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning Everyone....again overcast.

Have to have bunch with the family tribe!!!

Here's a match to Toot's photo...

PSMRE2.jpg

A club in the Pacific Northwest....

Have to run.

Greg

###################

Good morning. 19 degrees to start the day off with a forecast high in the mid 30's.

Been busy the past few days helping my cousin get his pole barn built. Got all of the poles set on Wednesday and got started of the forms for the concrete floor. Yesterday we got all of th prep work done for the concrete and got the floor poured. Now the rest is up to him. (I hope)

Got some checks in the mail yesterday for our tournament last weekend. My partner Tanya and I get to split $600 for first place for the weekend and my wife and Tanya's husband Dave got to split $350 for 4th place for the weekend. Tanya and I also got to split $500 for 4th place overall for the three week tournament. Money for beer (and maybe trains). It's nice to get your poop in a group in a tournament.

Have some catching up to do on the last few days posts.

Ray - I do like that photo with the NP passenger train. Nice.

Dave - I have always just soldered feeder wires to a rail joiner to supply power. Save yourself some $$. Good luck laying the track. Just take your time and make sure everything is smooth.

Greg - You'll have top post some photos of the mine area. Sounds interesting. Like the NP freight photo also.

David - Nice photo of the box car. I have a number of the old Silver Streak cars and although they can be a bit of work, the details are excellent.

Willie - Drooping couplers cn be quite a problem. Not good.

Garry - Thanks for the information along I-10. I have some friends who live in the panhandle that were lucky enough to have gotten through the storm, but have also mentioned all of the damage that has yet to be cleaned up. It's going to be a long rebuilding process.

Here's a rail picture for today.

e19e66085a3f49e9b2143fb2825aa222.jpg

Kater

Last edited:
Speaking of Jeffery, he had started his own forum called "Rails of the World", that I was a member of. While not too extensive by the time of his passing, there was some interesting stuff there. It seems that the site is still out there but my user name/password no longer works. Anyone out there know a trick to enter? Resetting my password didn't work.
We closed that forum a year or so after his passing.

"bnsf971 said:
Mark, everybody on the forum is a winner!

I second that.

Willie
Still the same ol' buzzard"

I guess I'm going to have to be a bit clearer with my jokes!

Afternoon All,

Did some chores then drove son down to HD to pick up his motorcycle that was in for repair. That seemed to take forever.

I miss Jeffrey also. He definitely was one of kind and that was a good thing.:)

Toot- That's a great photo and modeling.

CA Dave- All these skunks are descented (raised to be pets). In fact, when they are properly cared for they have no scent at all even if you stick your nose on their fur. I believe (not sure) that their fur is hypo-allergenic also.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Yo! Still waiting for the rain to start. :rolleyes:. Not for nothing, but it sure looks threatening out there. I decided to finish with the leaves in the yard. Total of 12, 55 gallon bags full of leaves to go to the town dump early next week. That doesn't count the leaves raked to the curb for pick-up by Public Works. Did I say I hate trees?

Johnny: It's good that your wife's recovery is coming along very well.

Eric: Next Wednesday isn't that far off. ;)

Chet: It's always nice when a recreational activity pays off ;). The daily track photo is nice, looks familiar.

Garry: Good that you're home safely.

Jeffrey was refreshing character who enjoyed our hobby for what it is, a way to having fun. he managed to do this even though he had meager resources and had to deal with the effects of a debilitating disease. I still miss his comments and postings. RIP Jeffrey!

Boris

Good afternoon guys, I woke up with a worse cold than I had last night. Thanks for all the comments, I'll get back to everyone later. Now it's feed the fireplace and then sleep.

David, that's the track that came with that set O36 (36" circle measured from center rail to center rail)

In all RTR sets, that I know of O36 is the size. The old track was O27, nine inches makes a difference! Especially with Traditional O (sub-scale) rolling stock and locomotives that comes in most sets.

Your eye for detail is spot on, as always!

I'm working on my train room! I have Lionel O96, O84, O72, O60, O48 in addition to O36 to use up there. I'll post some pictures when I get trains running up here.

The new Lionel Scale O (true scale) requires bigger tracks.

Louis: Thanks, an easy observation, glad to see they have upgraded things.

Well, the Cyclone, up north is passing over the Cape at Cat2, the storms, rain and flash flooding is continuing to batter the south. There has been heavy rain and a few thunderstorms just to my north during the night, but so far, not much of consequence. Overcast today, yesterday was cloudy but still sunny. All will depend on whether the upper and lower systems decide to meet up, like they did a couple of years ago.

I know the feeling, but my wood-burner heater will normally last 10-12 hours if loaded correctly by MOH!

Willie: Hi, I started to post to you around 4:30 p.m. if I'm correct and realized I needed to add more wood to my fireplace as well as go out and get more wood which fortunately I have plenty of due to a good friend Joe who has me well supplied. So I'm late in getting back to you but I'm here now after having a sandwich also.

My fireplace as a 42 inch opening to it as well as being about 30 in in height and it's a heatilator and as a result it can and does consume a fair amount of wood at least times. So quite often I wind up putting wood on at least once an hour but at least it keeps the living room area at about 60 degrees which is not too bad, so you got her relatively easy if you only have to add more wood every 10 to 12 hours. Earlier I loaded up the green garden cart to keep by the back door for easy access.

Good Morning All. 41° and cloudy with rain nearby but not here at this time. Wind has abated somewhat with gusts at only 15 mph. Not expected to get above 45° today, but a return to the 60's for at least the next eight days starting tomorrow. All of the "sky is falling" predictions of the weather gurus fell through yesterday, at least here as I recorded only .25" of rain in the gauge. There's a lot of rain/snow about 30 miles west, but it is moving in a counter-clockwise direction with me at the center!
Prior to the wind and occasional rain yesterday, I was able to do a little more garden prep for spring planting. Ugggh! Since my wife is out of town, I had to pick up the slack in household duties also. As far as the bathroom remodel, she did paint the walls allowing me to complete the "shiplap" portion, now I am on hold until she does the heavy painting before I can move the vanity in place and purchase/install the new toilet.
Out in the train shed, I had hoped to get back into the scenery mode, but only partly. Spread a little more ground foam and glued some lichen in place. Yes, I still use lichen in places for variety in vines. I have had a little frustration over the last few weeks while running trains, with drooping couplers at grade crossings and switches. All of the freight cars were fine when I inspected them prior to being placed on the layout? Ooops! that was 5-6 years ago. Rather than wait for an issue, I re-inspected about 25 cars yesterday, finding 8 that had drooped due to various reasons. Some might have given me trouble real soon. Most were Walther's car kits that had the old "press-fit" coupler box cover. The rest were Athearn clips that had worked loose. During the process, I also found cars that were missing components (usually brake related), or broken grabs/ladders, as well as one of the wayward cars with plastic wheels. All were duly repaired, most of the Walther's covers were shaved, drilled and replaced with a screw. Looks like it's time to reinspect the entire fleet. Let's see, 25/day and 800 cars makes over a month of this, with holidays thrown in, maybe by the end of January?

David -

The metal in the car and the ground both give up heat more rapidly than the air, hence the frost when the air temperature is above freezing. Air temperature is also taken between 4' and 5' above the ground level and can be warmer than that lower down, or around metal objects. Along the same lines, it can snow when the air temperature is as high as 42°.
Is that Central Valley car one that you had assembled? It looks really good.

Everyone have a wonderful day.

Willie: About the dropping coupler's at the grade crossings. If there is a blunt edge on the center piece that the uncoupling arm catches on, which I suspect is the problem, how about chamfering that edge so it it has bevel to it slightly so the uncoupling arm will ride up an over it ?

Thanks for your comment on the Central Valley car, yes I assembled it from there kit a fair number of years ago as I recall. If you notice the one corner oh the roof, I believe on the end where the brake wheel is on the end of the car, the lower corner of the roof is slightly bent and light looking. Let's do to the fact the car took a tumble off the layout I believe and landed on the corner of the roof acid hit the floor. Luckily that's all that happened to it. Actually that car what is labeled mobile and Ohio. But as I am not modeling anything that far back east I change the name to read mobile Oil.

View attachment 32536
I need to go to a meeting, maybe a sponsor would help. I should be avoiding other addicts.

Louis: Reminds me of the joke about an Irishman, we'll call him Patty Murphy who couldn't pass by a bar without stopping in to have a drink ! So finely Patty realized he had a drinking problem and he was going to use self-restraint so the next day as he was out walking when he passed by bars he'd say to himself, 'NopeI'm not going to stop and have a drink . So is walking down the street and he sees the bar and he says Nope I'm not going in there', and so he just keeps on walking and goes right by it and after he gets about 25 to 30 ft pass the bar he stops and says to himself, 'you see, I knew I could do it and to reward me self, I'm going to go back and have a drink !! LOL

Last edited:
Good morning ....

We returned from our trip to FL late Wednesday night. ...... We traveled with our friends from Illinois. They are still here, and so I'm still busy.

In Florida, our travels included about a section of about 75 miles Interstate 10 which is still affected by the major hurricane of several weeks ago. The destruction is amazing. We saw entire forests that had been knocked to the ground along with billboards and highway signs. There were many locations with a lane closed allowing workers with heavy equipment to remove broken trees.

See you later.

Garry: Glad you and Shelly are back safe, sounds as though it was a very risky area to be in!

Am I am I correct that it's been three years since Jeffrey passed on?

David Trussrod ... Thank you for reminding us about the anniversary of Jeffrey’s passing away. Actually it was 4 years ago. It seems like it just happened.

Temperature is 27 right now. Giving up on wind, sky cover and barometer as no one else seems to think they are necessary.
Trussrod I have quite a few Central Valley Stock Cars, these are the newer plastic cars and they are very nice!

Say NP: I used to post the wind speed as well as the barometer so it's interesting to know you also watch those conditions.

Regarding the newer Central Valley Stock cars, I'm sure they are very nice. I've purchased the CV, code 70, Branch line tie strips and the detail is excellent including tie plates and properly spaced to pre gauge the rail.

Good morning. 19 degrees to start the day off with a forecast high in the mid 30's.

Been busy the past few days helping my cousin get his pole barn built. Got all of the poles set on Wednesday and got started of the forms for the concrete floor. Yesterday we got all of th prep work done for the concrete and got the floor poured. Now the rest is up to him. (I hope)

Got some checks in the mail yesterday for our tournament last weekend. My partner Tanya and I get to split $600 for first place for the weekend and my wife and Tanya's husband Dave got to split $350 for 4th place for the weekend. Tanya and I also got to split $500 for 4th place overall for the three week tournament. Money for beer (and maybe trains). It's nice to get your poop in a group in a tournament.

Have some catching up to do on the last few days posts.

Ray - I do like that photo with the NP passenger train. Nice.

Dave - I have always just soldered feeder wires to a rail joiner to supply power. Save yourself some $$. Good luck laying the track. Just take your time and make sure everything is smooth.

Greg - You'll have top post some photos of the mine area. Sounds interesting. Like the NP freight photo also.

David - Nice photo of the box car. I have a number of the old Silver Streak cars and although they can be a bit of work, the details are excellent.

Willie - Drooping couplers cn be quite a problem. Not good.

Garry - Thanks for the information along I-10. I have some friends who live in the panhandle that were lucky enough to have gotten through the storm, but have also mentioned all of the damage that has yet to be cleaned up. It's going to be a long rebuilding process.

Here's a rail picture for today.

View attachment 32550

Kater

Chet: I don't think I ever assembled a silver streak kit? I'm wondering who those kits are made by, but they were very nice kits too from what I have seen.

I again like your I again like your real photo you have some interesting shot to post.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back