Running Bear's December 2018 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning everyone, as Willy says I am a night owl but not always by choice, someones got to keep the fire burning to keep the place warm, I get elected cuz I'm the only one here.
I know the feeling, but my wood-burner heater will normally last 10-12 hours if loaded correctly by MOH!

Saw this pic trekking across the top of the page and had to have a closer look. I know Mark and Chet will like it too
1544787028677.png

There are 5 in the set by member (past?) FoamersNW. Eagle Gorge-Stampede Line. 1 to the left and 3 to the right. I don't think I've seen such a perfect representation of water over a fall, a weir in this case for a small hydroelectric station. Most modelers don't take the clear water over the edge and down the drop as well as this, before the water starts to aerate.

Hope you all have a great day. Tomorrow, Saturday, 12-15-2018 markes the third year of Jefferies passing.
Speaking of Jeffery, he had started his own forum called "Rails of the World", that I was a member of. While not too extensive by the time of his passing, there was some interesting stuff there. It seems that the site is still out there but my user name/password no longer works. Anyone out there know a trick to enter? Resetting my password didn't work.

I think it has something to do with the backwards installation of the rear cylinder set
It looks like an adaption of the "Fairlie" locos, in the early British steam era. Might have been OK for a small engine, but not one the size of that one.
image[2].jpg

This one was used in NZ and is preserved at Otago in the south island. I have seen later examples on Y/tube, in use on tourist lines.

When I first joined this forum Jeffery was one of the few who enthusiastically helped me restore my Tyco train set.

God Bless Jeffery, we became good friends and I miss you dearly. I loved your daily pictures.
These are for you!
1544788540976.png

Ive been trying to find the Pathmark Tyco locomotive Jeffery had on his layout, with no luck.
1544788724324.png

Good Morning All. 41° and cloudy with rain nearby but not here at this time. Wind has abated somewhat with gusts at only 15 mph. Not expected to get above 45° today, but a return to the 60's for at least the next eight days starting tomorrow. All of the "sky is falling" predictions of the weather gurus fell through yesterday, at least here as I recorded only .25" of rain in the gauge. There's a lot of rain/snow about 30 miles west, but it is moving in a counter-clockwise direction with me at the center!
Prior to the wind and occasional rain yesterday, I was able to do a little more garden prep for spring planting. Ugggh! Since my wife is out of town, I had to pick up the slack in household duties also. As far as the bathroom remodel, she did paint the walls allowing me to complete the "shiplap" portion, now I am on hold until she does the heavy painting before I can move the vanity in place and purchase/install the new toilet.
Out in the train shed, I had hoped to get back into the scenery mode, but only partly. Spread a little more ground foam and glued some lichen in place. Yes, I still use lichen in places for variety in vines. I have had a little frustration over the last few weeks while running trains, with drooping couplers at grade crossings and switches. All of the freight cars were fine when I inspected them prior to being placed on the layout? Ooops! that was 5-6 years ago. Rather than wait for an issue, I re-inspected about 25 cars yesterday, finding 8 that had drooped due to various reasons. Some might have given me trouble real soon. Most were Walther's car kits that had the old "press-fit" coupler box cover. The rest were Athearn clips that had worked loose. During the process, I also found cars that were missing components (usually brake related), or broken grabs/ladders, as well as one of the wayward cars with plastic wheels. All were duly repaired, most of the Walther's covers were shaved, drilled and replaced with a screw. Looks like it's time to reinspect the entire fleet. Let's see, 25/day and 800 cars makes over a month of this, with holidays thrown in, maybe by the end of January?

David -
The weather earlier at 3:18 this morning was very chilly as it was heavy frost on the car! Of course that implies that's the temperature was 32 or below even though the computer app only said it was down 37 degrees so something isn't quite right?
The metal in the car and the ground both give up heat more rapidly than the air, hence the frost when the air temperature is above freezing. Air temperature is also taken between 4' and 5' above the ground level and can be warmer than that lower down, or around metal objects. Along the same lines, it can snow when the air temperature is as high as 42°.
Is that Central Valley car one that you had assembled? It looks really good.
Louis - Nice Lionel pictures, especially the GG-1.
Curt - Take care of yourself.

You all need to quit posting about E-Bay's 15% off. I might have to go to their website!
Today is National Monkey Day. Isn't that every day in DC?
Everyone have a wonderful day.

Another clock face boiler, large firebox, looking quite European. One of a kind and mechanically, a flop.

Karl: Nice photo. The George H Emerson was a "Duplex" design, much like the PRR T1. Like the T1 it was a near complete failure. Unlike the PRR which built a fleet of them, the B&O had the good sense of only building one.

Boris

Good morning, y'all 46° and cloudy. it's moderated from 33° at Midnight, (bed time), to 46° over the last eight hours or so. Looks like it's fixing to rain.
After a few errands, I'm going to put my self into rainy weekend mode.:rolleyes:.

Boris

Good morning everyone. 40 and raining. Having a couple of days of persistent rain - should clear off tomorrow, and then we've got 5 or 6 days of sun and 50's lined up.

Sorry I missed posting yesterday. We had a great breakfast with our daughter and granddaughter Wednesday. Any of you who have ever been to Springfield probably visited the Bass Pro Shops mother ship. They have a restaurant called Hemingway's (yes, named for the author). Great buffets there. I ate so much for breakfast that I didn't need any lunch that day!

Took the day off yesterday to do some Christmas shopping with my wife. She continues to gain strength every day. Follow-up visit with the Doc is next week.

Down in the train room, I continued working on the new logging camp. Decided to build a mountain and tunnel behind it, too. I'm winging this, man - making it up as I go. We'll see how THAT turns out:eek:

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning from SE WI, where it started foggy and will be cloudy all day with temps in the 40s or so.

Coming to the busy end of a busy week. Taught my last class for the semester yesterday, and students' final projects are rolling in. I'll be spending the next week grading them and compiling semester grades. Plus today I have two writing projects of my own to finish. And that's after dental checkup and eye appt.

Combined with busy evenings all this week I've been in severe train withdrawal. Which is why I made that impulse purchase on eBay last weekend! Package arrived yesterday and I put it -- entirely unopened -- in DairyStateMom's study to open and wrap as one of her Christmas presents for me. ;) (She already knew that was the plan, in case you're wondering. :p:rolleyes:)

Pretty much have to stay focused on anything but trains through Wednesday, but then I think I'll have some time to get back to that sawmill project and some other stuff on the layout. (I don't promise not to briefly lurk here, though.... :rolleyes:)

Have a good day and weekend, everyone. And (a day early), Rest in Power, Running Bear.

DSD

Good morning ....

We returned from our trip to FL late Wednesday night. ...... We traveled with our friends from Illinois. They are still here, and so I'm still busy.

In Florida, our travels included about a section of about 75 miles Interstate 10 which is still affected by the major hurricane of several weeks ago. The destruction is amazing. We saw entire forests that had been knocked to the ground along with billboards and highway signs. There were many locations with a lane closed allowing workers with heavy equipment to remove broken trees.

See you later.

Temperature is 27 right now. Giving up on wind, sky cover and barometer as no one else seems to think they are necessary. Might have more to say later, just wanted to attempt to be the winner this time; but, see I'm so late I should just give up! Bruette, I like me Jameson, too! Trussrod I have qute a few Central Valley Stock Cars, these are the newer plastic cars and they are very nice!
Mark, everybody on the forum is a winner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back