Running Bear's February 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
While visiting my wife today she said, I guess because of my condition you'll be getting a new woman soon. I said, don't you think I had enough women in my life without getting a new one.
Swal
Thats hard to choose an emote. Its in between sad and fun...but being a woman I think it is sad.
Man, you folks have a lot of the bad site of life. I feel I do am lucky. All I can say is, keep on loving the ones that you are close to. Enjoy whatever you see or do every day and do others no harm.

While visiting my wife today she said, I guess because of my condition you'll be getting a new woman soon. I said, don't you think I had enough women in my life without getting a new one.
Swal
Swal….you should have said…You’ll always be the woman of my heart, why would I want another one

she probably wants reassurance, because being parted from you is scary, anything new is, Maybe she thinks you won’t visit, if very regular visiting is not easy (not knowing your circumstances) do try to give her a schedule she can look forward to, ask her if she wants the picture framed so she has a reminder of days when you were both healthier, or tell her you found it, and thought it loverly she had made a big copy.

Life as we get older is scary, now more than anything do not promise things that will be hard, offer reassurances of doable commitments, and before you throw everything away ask her if a momento or two would be appropriate to bring in, or at least keep a small shoebox full you can take into her as reminders of happier time, pictures tell a thousand words.

I know one woman was pushed to reassure her own mother that she was the daughter by taking in photos and showing them to her mother, she said it made engaging with her mother faster and less stressful.

By the way, really sorry that she could no longer stay at home, but there reaches a point that coping at home cannot be done any longer, and hopefully you will not feel quilty, age and health is not in our favour, best wishes, as I suspect part of tidying is to be reminded all the time by her absence. Hopefully this will allow you to take care of your own health, I know looking after my own dad at times was like being a hamster on a spinning wheel. My husband and I have a ground floor bedroom and en-suite so hopefully we will not end up in your position. plus paying someone to come in for an hour or so (if lucky not loads more) will inevitably be cheaper than a care home, and as many find care homes can lack the caring element, A friend has to nag to get her mother in law decent care, while they seek planning permission to bring her home.

Last edited:
Today's train show and for those who like British steam:
IMG_20240224_103405961.jpg

Bing.
I don't know what this one is, but i've seen pictures of real ones:
IMG_20240224_103413677~2.jpg

Both 0 gauge. I have scored, and i mean scored an All Nation 4-6-2 in pieces for $60, pictures at home when i get back.

George, before my wife passed away, there were more times than I like to think about I should have done or said (or not said) things to my wife. By the time it reached the point of her passing, I was physically and emotionally exhausted from caring for her, it was all I could do to just put one foot in front of the other at times.
I know you know, but I'll say it anyway. Take a couple of minutes to make a positive comment, or bring her a favorite snack. We all think, "I'll do *X* tomorrow", then suddenly there are no more tomorrows. No need to ask how I know this.

George, before my wife passed away, there were more times than I like to think about I should have done or said (or not said) things to my wife. By the time it reached the point of her passing, I was physically and emotionally exhausted from caring for her, it was all I could do to just put one foot in front of the other at times.
I know you know, but I'll say it anyway. Take a couple of minutes to make a positive comment, or bring her a favorite snack. We all think, "I'll do *X* tomorrow", then suddenly there are no more tomorrows. No need to ask how I know this.
I think we know you went the extra mile, your feelings at her slipping through your fingers was sad to see, I am only glad you had people to share with.
some people find it hard to share the bad times, but I think if you do (at least here) a (in my experience) sympathetic audience will understand share and offer a metaphoric hug.
One of the reasons I was glad to find my way back, because people here tend to offer support to others on many levels not just modelling, for so many who get older, or shelter with poor health, or have an unsympathetic family a coffee shop adds a touch of humanity even though we type not sit in the same room.

I honestly admire you, because you have had a number of bad hits in the last couple of years and you soldier on, that is serious gumption

Morning all,

Currently 40° and sunny. high of 66° later. Been working on laundry this morning.

Yesterday started the spring lawn work. Had to trim the apple tree due to black mold getting started and found my good sprayer needed work, so I got the part and will be fixing the sprayer shortly. I sprayed the beginning round of weed killer on the early dandelions and henbit. I also got the hollyhocks cut back along with the tall phlox. The tall phlox is already starting to come back.

Got to get the limbs out to the limb yard and get the trees sprayed before ethe start blooming.

Alan: Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Willie: When we started looking at Medicare and all the options, it occurred to me that by looking, some of the plans don't cover what basic Medicare would cover by default. Fortunately she can stay on my insurance from work.
Thanks Patrick. On Medicare: Get a G plan supplement. That's what I have, and I pay my deductible, about $223.00 per year, and very little else, and I'm a cancer patient. Some of the part D drug plans have a large deductible, but this can depend on what your prescription list looks like. I have found Medicare covers much more than most any work insurance unless you're a government worker or a railroader. Stay the hell away from Medicare Advantage!

Last edited:
he engineer forgot about the bulletin he read to slow down at Woodbridge NJ because of the temporary track & bridge that was installed for of the construction of NJ Turnpike 1951
That was an ugly wreck. The train was carrying an above average travel, because of a work stoppage on the CNJ, which of course made things worse. Having run over the W&PA, (Woodbridge and Perth Amboy), as well as driving underneath on the Turnpike, The only possible answer was that the engineer forgot about the flyby, and failed to reduce speed. Granted I'm looking at it some 40 years after the fact, but the railroad is still about the same, the turnpike significantly wider. I'll have to watch the video, tomorrow. The Broker, unlike most PRR NY&LB trains did not change power at Souh Amboy or Rahway, (GRAW), because it went to Exchange Place Station in Jersey City, where passengers transferred to the H&M, (PATH). the other trains went to Penn Station NY, so the engine crew worked Bay Head to Jersey City, then to their power to the meadows EH, in Karney. The crew reversed their run in the evening, Meadows to JC to Bayhead.

That was an ugly wreck. The train was carrying an above average travel, because of a work stoppage on the CNJ, which of course made things worse. Having run over the W&PA, (Woodbridge and Perth Amboy), as well as driving underneath on the Turnpike, The only possible answer was that the engineer forgot about the flyby, and failed to reduce speed. Granted I'm looking at it some 40 years after the fact, but the railroad is still about the same, the turnpike significantly wider. I'll have to watch the video, tomorrow. The Broker, unlike most PRR NY&LB trains did not change power at Souh Amboy or Rahway, (GRAW), because it went to Exchange Place Station in Jersey City, where passengers transferred to the H&M, (PATH). the other trains went to Penn Station NY, so the engine crew worked Bay Head to Jersey City, then to their power to the meadows EH, in Karney. The crew reversed their run in the evening, Meadows to JC to Bayhead.
As you know Boris you can't forget about a bulletin you have to read before starting your run to reduce speed at a certain mile post. If you due there's going to be trouble. Big trouble. When you're on vacation you have to read all the bulletin orders posted while you were away. Speed reduction and single tracking bulletins where at a certain mile post you would have to pick up a train order permitting you to run against traffic etc. Other than the claim that the tender that was built I guess in 1923 or so had rodded wood baffles casing the water to shift on the turn the engineer was the blame.
Reminds me when I was a fireman and we approached Katona, NY station on a yellow approach signal. Something happened back in the train and the conductor came up to the head to let the engineer know there was an unruly passenger and to call ahead for Penn Central Police. With all that happening the engineer forgot about the yellow approach signal we were still on the being prepared to stop at the next automatic block signal around the corner. He said, to me, now we have to make up some time. I said we're running on a yellow approach single. He said, with all the stuff going on I forgot. I didn't. This is how accidents happen. It said in the documentary the engineer's wife just had a heart attack days before the accident. His mind wasn't where it should have been.
Swal

Good morning, Everybody!

I cooked a turkey and now I'm making turkey stock for soup, the downstairs kitchen smells great!

My grandson and I watched the Orioles yesterday. It looks like they are picking up where they left off last year. Go O's!

Sherrel, Alan, and anyone else struggling with health and other problems, our thoughts and prayers are with you all!
I have had my share of health and other problems. I aways find comfort in this.
Isaiah 41:10 Fear not, for I am with you, be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my victorious right hand.

God Bless Us Everyone!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back