Running Bear's February 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning ALL!!!
Didn't see Bill when I walked in.
Probably hung up at a crossing?
Anyways, speaking of hung up, Flo your blouse is bunched up in the back.
Yep. Caught in the apron tie.
How can I not watch your backside?
Oh. Yes. A black eye is hard to look through.
Hanging a hard right on a left hand turn, I'd like to go with a 4 stack of rye toast.
And a large black strap please.
Have to get out and about for errands......

Good Morning, folks!
We here in the north are headed into some high pressure sunshine today, and it might even hit 40F. But, 'ol Frosty' wears a two-faced mask, and it will flip over to below zero again next week. So, I hope the wife don't get too excited about more garden projects.

Don't get the wrong impression. My wife is the most important person in my life, and I want to help her out. She's everything to me, and I don't want her hitting her thumb with the hammer. I'll build as many planter boxes and shelves as she wants.

I did find some time later in the day to carve out the rest of my depot walls. Now I've got nearly all the parts to put a building together, minus the roofing.
Since this photo was taken, I have since stuccoed all the walls that need stuccoing:
3rdClass_02-20-2024.JPG

I'll need to hit the hardware before I can start gluing it all together. It's been so long that I've modelled, my glue has dried in the bottle.

Swal - I feel so sorry for you. Since I had some ex-wife court troubles, where I was court ordered to submit five years of financial documents, I don't allow anything but printed documents. Nothing electronic. Then I just pile them into the filing cabinet, and keep them all. To hell with going green when one is up against the system.

Curt - I know you will enjoy that rail-riding holiday. We were hoping to ride the Rocky Mountaineer, but, reconsidered after figuring out the pricey cost of it all.
Jaz - Good idea on the hand-crafted dogs. I might try that.

Yesterday, the wife received a 12pk order of flower seeds, which I'm hoping will keep her happy today. She's got her own grow-op going on here in the house, and will transfer outside when it warms up. As it is, she has grow lights turned on in the front porch 24/7 during winter. At night, the place looks like a carnival house from the street. A neighbour asked me if we are growing weed, which is legal here. - No, we are not.

Well, that's all the yip-yap I have for one day. Gotta go; so have a wonderful day!

Good Morning All. Clear and 54°, again the NWS is forecasting 81° for later; I saw 79° yesterday. Nothing but pleasant weather in the 10 day forecast. No rain anywhere in sight.

Boy! Activity level here in the Coffee Shop and the forum itself has really increased this month. I am not able to keep up with some threads any more.

Yesterday I did get Broccoli and Spinach plants planted in the garden, I also got a full bed of Green Peas planted. That just leaves the lettuce plants and heirloom tomato seeds left for today. I'll also be direct planting some lettuce and spinach seed in the garden which will start maturing about 4-6 weeks after these plants start bearing. I grow loose-leaf Lettuce, so I can start picking just outer leaves and leave the plant/roots to continue to grow. It will be too warm for either by the end of May.

SIL came by yesterday and took our granddog home with him. He's currently unemployed, having been laid off by his employer. He had a team working for him and he was told that he needed to cut back expenses for the team, so he just told them to lay him off instead for starters. Despite a non-compete agreement, he knows that some of his previous clients will follow him to his new job eventually. He also got a generous severance package. Other than that and gardening, it was a pretty mundane day here, I did laundry and a few other yard tasks. I need to pay a little attention to the stock market right now, it seems to have dropped a bit after I made close to record returns in the last 14 weeks. I may have to be a little less aggressive. Last year and so far this year, on paper I have made more than the job that I retired from 9 years ago.

I had a less than stellar time yesterday out in the train shed. While doing some minor repair work on a freight car, I accidentally knocked two parts off and spent an excessive amount of time looking for them on the floor. I did find them both as well as a part to another unknown freight car. Since it is boxcar brown in color, it's going to be tough finding it's owner! I did return to the cemetery project after a few days away. I cut the remaining boards for the front fence but I did not install them yet. I now also have a general idea of the layout of the headstones but I am not placing them until I install the fence first.
More dogs today.
05-11-20 001.JPG

05-11-20 013.JPG

05-12-20 007.JPG

05-13-20 002.JPG

05-13-20 008.JPG
05-13-20 013.JPG

IMG_2201.JPG

Sherrel - So instead of earthquakes shaking off part of your state into the Pacific, mudslides will just wash parts away!
Joe - I agree, I think that McAfee and Norton have their own secret stash of virus's that they unleash on you when you let their subscription expire. Nothing vicious, just annoying.
Grizzled - I posted an error in numbers yesterday regarding the number of dogs on my layout, I actually have 46, but I don't have pictures of all of them. So there might just be a border collie out there somewhere.
Cheri - The prices will probably shock you!
Tom O - I have found that UPS tracking to be extremely accurate, and in some cases almost exact with their delivery time as the truck gets closer out here in the boonies.

Everyone have a great day.

We have differing ideas as to where the economy, the stock and real estate markets are heading. Since we are now going to be home there will be more guessing done today.
I have lost my feel for the stock market and really can no longer out guess the big boys. Considering what's happening to our friend George, and what happened with the MIL, what I really need to know is how to protect ourselves from predators like Nursing homes and assisted living facilities, and social workers. Every attorney you talk to has a different story or different angle.
Real estate...your involvement is at a different level than mine. i do know I need to move on from here, but that makes us dependent on a different predator, the real estate agent, on both ends, and if we leave the state, the notorious Jersey Exit tax.
Investment bankers seem to react based on arbitrary performance goals created by analysts, rather than in dept understanding of their investments. It's becoming investment by analytics, with decisions made by algorithms.

Morning folks, its currently 60 outside, a little chilly but no need for a coat imo.

Update on the lightning-struck oak tree in the yard: My dad and me got all the small stuff piled up outside the yard either to be hauled off or ran through a chipper, the remaining pieces are too big for our chainsaws and we still don't want to bring the tractor into the yard. The roofers will show up today since one limb poked 4 holes into the roof, planning on just doing a patch job.
We did get a lot of firewood out of it. Supposedly wood thats been struck by lightning has magical powers or something, in that case I hope to make some magical briskets with it.😁
You could mill a baseball bat out of it like Robert Redford in the Natural! :D

I have lost my feel for the stock market and really can no longer out guess the big boys. Considering what's happening to our friend George, and what happened with the MIL, what I really need to know is how to protect ourselves from predators like Nursing homes and assisted living facilities, and social workers. Every attorney you talk to has a different story or different angle.
Real estate...your involvement is at a different level than mine. i do know I need to move on from here, but that makes us dependent on a different predator, the real estate agent, on both ends, and if we leave the state, the notorious Jersey Exit tax.
Investment bankers seem to react based on arbitrary performance goals created by analysts, rather than in dept understanding of their investments. It's becoming investment by analytics, with decisions made by algorithms.
I have been pretty good over the years with the trends in real estate. Since 1990 I have stayed away from doing stuff in the stock market and I let Terry handle that. My adventures in the commodities market back in 1989 and 90 almost bankrupted us so that’s why I avoid both. Terry dabbles in commodities but lives for the stock market and overall has done well.

It’s an interesting subject when it comes to financials. Other then Berkshire Hathaway Terry handles our investments and uses Robinhood for the last couple years for ”free” trading.

Went to the NYS motor vehicle and got my wife's car's title clear of any liens and put the car in my name. I should have done this 2 years ago with my wife's first fall. Just being dumb and putting things off. I'm not sure if that does anything because people have told me you can only own one car the other is considered an asset when it comes to Medicaid.
Swal

Went to the NYS motor vehicle and got my wife's car's title clear of any liens and put the car in my name. I should have done this 2 years ago with my wife's first fall. Just being dumb and putting things off. I'm not sure if that does anything because people have told me you can only own one car the other is considered an asset when it comes to Medicaid.
Swal
Stop beating yourself up

There is no manual we can follow on this and that’s a shame. Why because everything before it happens to you was it happened to someone else. Financials, especially marriage assets seem to be a secret. They are not talked about or is rarely talked about. Yesterday when I mentioned what you are going through with my wife her 1st comment was that won’t happen to us. Then a few seconds later after thinking, “we better check that out”.

No one knows what tomorrow will bring because we never really think that tomorrow won’t come.

You are going through hell and the attorneys while doing their due diligence are definitely not helping you. My stroke less than 8 months after I retired came 2 months after my then annual physical and I was good. My blowing out the knee in 2022 the Monday before Thanksgiving was a shock that still has me occasionally waking up sweating at night. We just don’t know what will happen next…

Financially unless you know someone who has discussed end of life financials, qualifying for Medicare and Medicaid, home versus facility care it is a shock to the system and that’s what you are going through.

I don’t think there is anyone on the forum that doesn’t wish you and the wife the best. You will get a handle on this and meanwhile you are educating the group. Don’t stop that as we care for what YOU and what you are experiencing.

We have a trust in place and Terry found out yesterday the way it was written isn’t the best for protecting our marriage assets, business and personal yes, but not the joined stuff. You just never know

MARA you're talking about my old girl's friend's mother. I really wanted to say SHUT THE ***** UP. I'm fully capable of making my own decisions. I don't need you telling me what I should be doing.
Swal
Is this me not understanding it right? I mean my english is good enough to understand most but surely not all.
Are you angry with me!? Not meaning to do any harm.
In Holland there are many jokes about the subject. Its because mothers don't "loose" there children to anyone. So sometimes parents in general are very protective against boy friends and girlfriends. So pls forgive me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back