Running Bear's February 2024 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening. I gave my Centerline a work out, and I still had to use other means to complete the cleaning of the last track, which really was dirty.

The P2K GP7 finally made a 5MPH run end to end without a stall. That was the test.

I also did some more work on the Scott Shipping background building. More planned for tomorrow. If it stays nice, I may get to paint the exterior this coming week.

Currently 29° clear with a calm wind. Going to 27° overnight. Was sunny and 48° during the day...Nice! More of the same, but slightly cooler tomorrow.

Totally forgot this was the weekend of the Timonium (MD) Scale Train Show at the Fairgrounds. At least they had a nice weekend this year.

OK, I admit to no longer being too interested in pro football since prima-donnas took over in the late 90's, but I was certainly surprised when earlier today, I walked in on my wife watching the Pro Bowl. They were playing flag football! o_O When did this become a thing???
Willie I haven't watched pro football since they started kneeling. I was watching a lot of ASX TV but on January 1 Verizon discontinued the channel. No more rock concerts aired. We were paying $232.00 for cable but when they canceled ASX I canceled Verizon. I bought a Roku stick for $40.00. Now I pay nothing. I found you can watch a lot of music concerts on Roku using the Youtube app. If you pay $139.00 a year you can watch anything on Youtube add free, You can also watch FoxNews an hour or so after it aired on YouTube ad free. I think the $139.00 a year is a good deal.
Swal

They were playing flag football! o_O When did this become a thing???
That was the first NFL flag football Pro Bowl. It's not much different really. The Pro Bowl rules didn't allow the lineman to go full out. Might as well play flag football. The game still highlights the "skill" players.

Skill is a 300lb man that can run the 40-yard dash in under 4.5 seconds and the 300lb man who must block him. That's what I call skill! The real game can still be won or lost in the trenches.

I haven't watched the Pro Bowl since they moved it to the week before the Super Bowl.

Last edited:
Surprise this morning, got to work and found my bus missing, seems my boss loaned it out to another company, now driving a coach for the day or two.... maybe.
Second surprise, left my phone at home so had to take the coach to my house to pick it up, neighbours were not impressed as I blocked the road, tough :)

1707125580118.png

Good morning!
1707125698676.png

Good morning all. Flo, a large coffee. I'll join Karl in the corner.

Dawn had a good night's sleep and is up and about. A. good day for her.
A busy start to the day with parcel deliveries etc.

Collecting granddaughter from school this afternoon, then do the Brownie run.

I mentioned last week about youngest grandson, Thomas (9 years old) worried at having a sleepover at his 'girlfriend's' house with another girl?
Apparently he had a great time!!!
I was never so lucky. 🤣

Back later.

Morning all,

Chilly 35° and cloudy with a high of 57° later.

Flo: Give me a breakfast blue plate with bacon. And put everyone's beverages on me today. Thanks.

I feel like I got a bit done on the RR scene yesterday. After lunch I did another section of track ballasting and continued my rebuild of the latest boxcar. Even got the F7 running and rear couplers hooked up.

20240204_145828[1].jpg

An action shot. You can also see some of my ballasting drying as well. I paid $55 for that little loco, which I think was a fair deal. Also while I'm here, what do these "extra" parts connect to?
20240204_143611[1].jpg

They were in the F7 box and I know they are still on their spars, but there were no instructions as to their location on the loco.

The rest of my pictures will be posted to my layout thread.

BBL

I'm pretty sure you'll be seeing rain today. It's raining pretty heavily here on the West coast, and it's moving East-ish across the state.
Terry, we could see rain clouds Sunday but never thankfully got a drop. The radar says today’s chances of rain during our golfing hours is around 15%. The temperatures will be low 60’s and the winds around around 5mph. Much better then the 20f degrees home in Wisconsin is at.

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 51°, probably won't get above 60° since the clouds will be here all day. Mid to upper 60's the rest of this week. Chilly tonight and tomorrow night so I will have to start a fire each night. I dislike doing that since letting it smolder and nearly go out adds to the creosote build-up inside the stovepipe.

Slowish day around here yesterday. I drove to the mailbox and back (1.25 miles away) to kill the boredom. Yard is so saturated that I left mushy footprints even in the grassy areas. It was a good day to burn the burn trash though, although I didn't have much. I did spend a little time cleaning and organizing the storage room out in the train shed building.

I also did spend time in the actual train shed itself. I added another coat of paint to the cemetery fencing since it really soaked in the first coat. I first drilled all of the fence post holes. No installation yet because I painted after I measured for the holes. After that I inspected and cleaned a few more freight cars. One of them required a major repair. It was missing three of the four stirrups, which I had not found on the layout anywhere. I dug out the package of A-Line stirrups and bent and test fitted them. Install will be today.
Once again, from the archives:
View attachment 180734
View attachment 180735
Tom O - That is interesting that your son discovered your weathered cars in Austin. Vulture abatement, that's unusual. They usually don't present much of a problem around my place, and I have a pair (or their offspring) that have lived in my barn loft for many many years. They never go after live meals, preferring to let someone else make the kill.
Here's the family in 2021 just after cutting my fieldView attachment 180724
Willie he does a lot of Vulture abatement in downtown Austin high rises, he says almost as much as bats. Also, the 3 Amazon distribution centers outside of Austin seem to be vulture magnets. He says it’s something about those tilt-up warehouses going up all over. He has been to Denton a few times in the past year for all those new warehouses. Mainly it‘s a non-lethal chemical disk and spike thing for the Vultures. Residences are rare but this guy uses Brian’s company at one of the downtown hotels and since they live in the hills of Westlake, they have $$$! The wife is paranoid about them and of course they don’t look good for her social standings. Bri says the guy is my age with a 40 year old trophy wife. He says they do crap a lot but this group of 5 leave the bones of the carrion pretty much in the driveway and one patio.

Good Morning!

I haven't stepped into the shop for a-bit. Walked past the front window quite a few times, but, with all that's going on, didn't bother stepping in for a coffee. I don't much like to carry-on about hard luck family issues, and intend to keep it quiet and local.

There has been some travel involved, and just yesterday, we got back home from a trip into the Rockies.
We went down to Lake Louise to do some cross-country skiing and witness an ice-sculpture event. Problem was, there was no snow in the mountains ,and the ice sculptures had all melted away before the event could get started. So, it became a sight-seeing event for a few days.

We did pass through no-snow Jasper, where I discovered that Elk and railroads seem to get along just fine!
View attachment 180728
View attachment 180729
I have more snow on my front lawn, than there is in the Rocky Mountains; and my town don't have much snow. If this keeps up, we'll lose the 'Great White' title that we so cherish. I'll need to purchase colourful, tropical type shorts and flip-flops.

The place we were supposed to go skiing had a bunch of Bighorn Sheep relaxing and catching a few rays:
View attachment 180730

Sherrel - I have also prayed for you're recovery and well-being.
Ever since I met you, when I see an airplane, you come to mind for some reason. I begin to wonder if Sherrel has flown one of that type. Suppose it's because you mentioned you flew over my home town long ago, and knew where it was.
Stand tall, my friend, and work through this. I believe you have greater strength than you might know.

Before I go about my business, I'm going to drop down another railroad photo. I can't remember if this was already posted, but, locomotive photos never get old, anyway.
View attachment 180732

And one more for the road! That's my wife out there, checking out a non-existent ski area.
View attachment 180733

There seems to be some new faces in here! I'm very happy to see that!
Have a wonderful day everyone!!!
Guy don’t be a stranger! Love your pictures as always. Now I have to check Miniprints.ca to see how much his elk cost as we do have Elk in Wisconsin and the CN!
Be well

They were playing flag football! o_O When did this become a thing
I saw that. ESPN+ had the live feed on as I scrolled by...Weird! ...I think the actual game was played in prime time last night, but I don't care enough to look. The NHL all star game, was Saturday, and as much as I like hockey,I didn't waste my time with the game or events leading up to the game.
All these ideas are hatched by people who have no knowledge of the game, but are trying to catch the casual viewer attracted to shiny objects .

Morning all,

Chilly 35° and cloudy with a high of 57° later.

Flo: Give me a breakfast blue plate with bacon. And put everyone's beverages on me today. Thanks.

I feel like I got a bit done on the RR scene yesterday. After lunch I did another section of track ballasting and continued my rebuild of the latest boxcar. Even got the F7 running and rear couplers hooked up.

View attachment 180790

An action shot. You can also see some of my ballasting drying as well. I paid $55 for that little loco, which I think was a fair deal. Also while I'm here, what do these "extra" parts connect to? View attachment 180791

They were in the F7 box and I know they are still on their spars, but there were no instructions as to their location on the loco.

The rest of my pictures will be posted to my layout thread.

BBL
Those are coupler cut levers, one for front and rear, and the square hole thing goes in the front pilot around the coupler.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back