Running Bear's December 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning All. Partly cloudy and 64°, won't see that at this time of day for a couple of months. Beautiful day yesterday at 72°, which will change drastically around noon today. 15 mph north winds, falling temperatures and rain around midnight. Below freezing tomorrow night.

Eggs over easy and ham this morning Flo.

Thanks for the comments and likes yesterday; Alan, Jerome, Justin, Sherrel, Phil, Curt, Ken, Jim, Johnny.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I (almost) finished up painting the trim and started adding the doors and windows the the Hardware Supply store.
12-09-19 003.JPG

Terry - As Chad suggested, pay the $2.95 and let them spend their money trying to get the $.15. Been there before many years ago.
Greg -
I don't know how Willie and Company can paint the HO figures and details that come with the craftsmanship kits.
A pair of these for the eyes.
12-09-19 001.JPG

And some of these for the wrists.
12-09-19 002.JPG

Curt -
I thought I had figured out how to save the layout but the wife pointed out they are going to replace part of the sub floor. Crap!
I cannot remember if I ever saw an overall shot of your layout, but I thought that at least some was attached to the walls. It might be possible to add some long wall to wall supports (2"x6") and remove the legs of the layout, replacing them when all is done. It would be similar to moving a house. Good luck.
Hughie - Great rabbit story. Did you ever 'fess up?

Everyone have an awesome week. Not long before Christmas.

Goodness - Guess I will open the door and turn on the lights this morning. Aother short night, they are getting worse; maybe after the coffee is brewed, I will lay down again.
Had a brief but heavy shower again yesterday and some drizzle during the remainder of the day adding another almost 1/2 inch to our season. We seriously need a couple days of sunshine - my back yard is mushy.
48 degrees to start with and a 65 number for a high - partly sunny with 70% chance of a shower in the AM. The record high this date was 81 and the record low was 42.

OK ... coffee is made - waiting on patrons?
I know the feeling; I went to bed twice last night, didn't sleep a wink. Got up and killed the time by making sure all my user IDs and passwords were up to date for the web sites I'll need for tax filing (SSI, pensions, retirement accounts, etc). I'd go down and work on the layout but, paradoxically, I feel too tired. The really weird part about that is that, if I were to lie down right now, I would start thinking about the layout too hard to sleep. Drugs; I need drugs.

45 degrees right now. It's supposed to get above 50 and rain turning to snow, then tomorrow it's not supposed to make it to 20; should be a hell of a wind storm in-between.

This week is going to be truly strange; there's not a single thing on either of our schedules. Hmm... I just looked and there's absolutely nothing for either of us until two weeks from tomorrow. Then all hell breaks loose and we'll be up to our ass in relatives.

Morning all,

Coffee and one of Sherrel's garbage omelets. That sounds good.....

Got some train time over the weekend. Wired up all the blocks, mostly for testing. They are all live at the same time, but run well.

I also cleared up 3 spots on the outer loop that appeared to be the bulk of my derail issues and even found bent rail joiners.

20191206_154927.jpg
20191206_154940.jpg
20191206_155015.jpg

These are my after shots using my new work phone. It takes the pictures quicker and clearer...yeah!
I use one of the grandson's Thomas engines 0-6-0 and it quit having issues at these three points. The rails were too tight and required clipping to correct. The gap in the second picture doesn't affect rail ops, the trains don't even make a click as the go over. They also required additional track nails as the end points didn't have the predrilled holes at the end points. They still look a little funny in the pictures, but run a lot smoother.

Howdy everyone!

Thanks to all who liked my last post!

Flo - I'll have a bacon & cheese omelet, home fries, wheat toast and coffee.

Ken - The grass looks real, almost to the point that it needs mowed. Nice job!
Johnny - Nice shots of the layout. The outpost looks good, like it belongs there.
Patrick - Good that you got the derail problems fixed. Your grandson will appreciate it.

I have to pick up a few things at the grocery store, then back home to work on the layout.
Last week my "smart phone" started acting-up. I couldn't send e-mails to my desk top. It was
sending for a long time, then it showed sending failed. I have to figure that out, as I have pictures
of railfanning and of my layout. In the meantime, I'll use my old digital camera.

Flo - Donuts for everyone - put it on my tab.

Have a good day!

YBSsKXi.jpg

Huh . . . ?
2SHTsEq.jpg

Good Morning Everyone....over cast and raining this morning. Cold coming soon...just for a couple of days. Below zero at night is likely.

Trains after lunch and clean up the layout room. Then fine tune some of the layout details and add some figures working by the junk yard in Waupaca. I'll run a train while in the room. Had a SOO caboose derail. It had been running for over eight hours without a problem. It does have a Dust Monkey on one of the trucks.

Jim: Nice fire department's Standard Operating Procedure with the hose protectors on the crossing. I need a tunnel/building like that in the photo for where the mainline goes to the yard expansion area through the wall.

Willie: I think I'll need to get one of those Optic-Vision headsets for my work bench. A friend of mine has over 100 figures to paint as passengers in to install in several passenger cars he has on his layout.

The G&D box car will makes it debut on the layout by Wednesday. I like the touch of John Allen influenece on the layout with a modern box car decaled for the G&D as if John were alive today. The weathering expert Steve did the work on the car.

Looking for a Erie Mining GP38-2. Really like the color scheme of the locomotive. It will become a leased locomotive on the CM&N.

Tomorrow, blood testing for INR which lately has ben all over the board, when lunch at Cracker Barrel.

That's all for now.................

Greg

######################################

2E589431-E598-4495-A06F-E7DF8FF8A41C(1).jpeg

Steve does suburb work on weathering projects he undertakes. I wish I had his talent!-Greg

Here are a couple more LG&W pictures.
Here is a movie production of "HOLDUP AT GUNN POINTE" shooting at a tunnel.
An informal fish camp scene, a pickup backed down the ramp to far and the boat floated away (far right corner).
Up from the fish camp is the ROAD KILL CAFE (where Flo had her first waitressing job). In the parking lot, the red pickup ran over a motorcycle and two guys are fighting as people look on.

Attachments

• H 031 a1 - Copy.JPG
    H 031 a1 - Copy.JPG
    186.9 KB · Views: 151
  • H 047a - Copy.JPG
    H 047a - Copy.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 162
  • H 048a - Copy.JPG
    H 048a - Copy.JPG
    179.7 KB · Views: 157
Good morning all. After I finished laughing, I knew I had to copy the email story about the rabbit and glad you all enjoyed it. I did get a little train room time the other day at the request of my great granddaughter to "see woo woo". I thought to tell her it was a steam locomotive, that they took coal from the tender, threw it in the firebox, which heated the water in the boiler to make steam, releasing the steam to the cylinders which in turn pushed the rods that turned the wheels, that it was a 4-8-4. Then I thought, she 18 months old, probably doesn't understand numbers.
Going to go mow and edge, hopefully for the last time till Spring next year. Later

Here are a couple more LG&W pictures.
Here is a movie production of "HOLDUP AT GUNN POINTE" shooting at a tunnel.
An informal fish camp scene, a pickup backed down the ramp to far and the boat floated away (far right corner).
Up from the fish camp is the ROAD KILL CAFE (where Flo had her first waitressing job). In the parking lot, the red pickup ran over a motorcycle and two guys are fighting as people look on.
There actually was a restaurant chain called the Road Kill Cafe, maybe 20 years ago. Don't know if they're still in business. Part of their motif was that the waitstaff would insult you, sit down at your booth or table while taking your order, that kind of thing. The subtitle on their menu was, "Where the food used to speak for itself."

It's 1 pm and I still haven't been able to sleep. 24+ hours, now.

Afternoon All,

Waiting impatiently for the dryer parts that are "out for delivery" so I can put the dryer back together again. I had to drive about an hour away this morning to get the electrical connector I need (that I broke) on assembly. Driving up to see Jon and Phil on Thursday.

Greg- That is really nice weathering on the box car.

Tex- That's funny.

Sherrel- The woman's bowling score is not right...just saying.:)

Max- Our's is about 10 years old, but this is the second heating coil replacement in 3 years. Interesting 1:1 photo.

Willie- Nice job on the build. Unfortunately my layout is all free standing.

Patrick- I'm glad you were able to fix you're track issues.

I hope everyone has a good night.

So it was Christmas 1949, and Santa brought the Little Hobo a Marx electric train. Hobo was 3. I didn't know how to play with the trains so my mother told Santa to take them back to the North Pole. Some 9 or 10 years later I got a nice Lionel set for Christmas, Dad even build a table to put them on. Would you believe Santa brought back the Marx trains that same Christmas.

So it was Christmas 1949, and Santa brought the Little Hobo a Marx electric train. Hobo was 3. I didn't know how to play with the trains so my mother told Santa to take them back to the North Pole. Some 9 or 10 years later I got a nice Lionel set for Christmas, Dad even build a table to put them on. Would you believe Santa brought back the Marx trains that same Christmas.
No, no I wouldn't.

Good Morning Everyone....over cast and raining this morning. Cold coming soon...just for a couple of days. Below zero at night is likely.

Trains after lunch and clean up the layout room. Then fine tune some of the layout details and add some figures working by the junk yard in Waupaca. I'll run a train while in the room. Had a SOO caboose derail. It had been running for over eight hours without a problem. It does have a Dust Monkey on one of the trucks.

Jim: Nice fire department's Standard Operating Procedure with the hose protectors on the crossing. I need a tunnel/building like that in the photo for where the mainline goes to the yard expansion area through the wall.

Willie: I think I'll need to get one of those Optic-Vision headsets for my work bench. A friend of mine has over 100 figures to paint as passengers in to install in several passenger cars he has on his layout.

The G&D box car will makes it debut on the layout by Wednesday. I like the touch of John Allen influenece on the layout with a modern box car decaled for the G&D as if John were alive today. The weathering expert Steve did the work on the car.

Looking for a Erie Mining GP38-2. Really like the color scheme of the locomotive. It will become a leased locomotive on the CM&N.

Tomorrow, blood testing for INR which lately has ben all over the board, when lunch at Cracker Barrel.

That's all for now.................

Greg

######################################

View attachment 42190
Steve does suburb work on weathering projects he undertakes. I wish I had his talent!-Greg
Greg:once again, great photo! The boxcar looks excellent! But that switcher!! A well used scrappy engine. Love it.

Santa must have been a Marx fan.

Sigh. It's been 30+ hours since I've slept. I've been in and out of bed several times, but nothing. Thank god I'm retired. Another reason I'm glad I don't work is that the weather turns to crap tonight; it's been raining all day, turning to sleet and snow tonight and lasting for two or three days. Otoh, the forecast for Wednesday has improved; the forecast temp has gone from 19 to 21.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back