Running Bear’s November 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon, 36° and cloudy. The weatherman says we should be preparing for heavy snow and wind starting tonight.

I'll have a Denver omelet, Flo.

Here's a shot I took going over the Wisconsin River near Spring Green in '16.
View attachment 41781
Yeah, that’s what they’re calling for Up North. 8-12 inches for places like Rhinelander, Chippewa Falls & Phillips. We’re much closer to the rain/snow line- only supposed to see 2-3 inches of heavy wet snow/sleet.

About the closest would be Australia Day on the 26th of January. The Aboriginals, on the other hand, call it invasion day.
Something similar is happening over here, although I believe the Native Americans (I, personally, prefer the Canadian term First Nations, but I don't get a vote) have a bigger beef with Columbus Day than they do with Thanksgiving. Still, the (largely informal) protests are spilling over from one to the other. Various states are re-designating Columbus Day, October 12 or so, as some variation of Native Americans Day, although the Federal designation remains Columbus Day. Thanksgiving is beginning to see efforts to... umm, "de-Disney-fy" the holiday's observance.

Thanks to all who commented on my market.
I will place the market on a secondary area of my layout where both the front and back of the market are exposed. Thus I don't mind using a Model
Power kit as a background structure. I have a ways to go before I start gluing structures in place. I need to build a couple benches to go outside the market and some other accessories to be named later.
Willie- Your Chinese restaurant inspired me to get Chinese take-out for supper tonight.. My food source did not look nearly as good as your model.
Please keep the pictures coming!

Last edited:
Some pictures from FB's Montana Rail Link Railfan Society. Logan MT. An afternoon shot taken from the west end of the yard with the 5th Sub in the foreground, which heads off via the Jefferson River, a long way past Whitehall, eventually to Pipestone and the ballast quarry. Branches off at Sappington, to Harrison and to Twin Bridges and Alder from Whitehall. The BNSF closed hopper train is leaving W/B on the 2nd Sub, over the Gallatin River, following that up till it meets the Wide Missouri at Trident MT and on to Helena. Bozeman is out the other end of the yard, to the East.

On the propane track sits the remnants of the Jimbo train before disappearing, I think, east to Livingston. Logan is not a big town and is squeezed between I90 to it's north side and Old US Hwy 10, to it's south. The large tanks belong to Circle S Seeds. The Google map shows The Land of Magic and the Weber's Fine Accoustical Instruments, as industries just behind the trees to the right.
1574856681451.png

This signal has been repurposed as guarding entry to the yard from the 5th Sub, which now also does double duty as a long lead for switching in the yard
1574856942880.png

This is the L/M (Logan/Missoula?), using the 5th sub to switch cars in the yard
1574857227495.png

Here it departs across the Gallatin R. Two 'ACe's and 2 GP35's after finishing the switching.
1574857463347.png

Enter the W/B 841 to drop off cars at Logan, The yard is the subject of track rearranging work, more classifying room possibly. In the background a BNSF coal train appears to be waiting.
1574857992579.png

The 841 also pulls onto the 5th Sub's yard lead to do switching
1574858261420.png

GP's #'s 405 & 404, doing the work (Must be a GP35 'thing' today). Looks like it's built up a decent train as well.
1574858505144.png

Just as our photographer departed W/B fro the yard the E/B Logan Local was returning to the yard. Doesn't say on which Sub, but I'm guessing it was the the 2nd
1574859184440.png

In charge were 2 GP35's, probably the ones coming back from Helena on that 2nd Sub. #'s 402 and 403
1574859449569.png

What I did forget to mention, the 5th Sub, is the road that used to go out to Butte MT, via Homestake Pass. Once the track passed White hall it became very windy, culminating in traversing the steep sides of the ranges into Butte. I have posted this one of the NP with AMTRAK locos in charge, Butte in the Background.
4804.1409281392[1].jpg

Good Morning all,

I'll take one of the Denver omelets with hash browns and coffee this morning. It just looked good yesterday.
Supposed to be turning cloudy and a high of 48* today and a wintery mix turning to rain overnight and into tomorrow. Low expected to be just above freezing. High tomorrow 38*. Weather will be turning warmer over the weekend.

I got the storage units constructed, but ran out of time to get stuff in them. I hate being in bed before 9:00 pm as we are up around 4:00 am so the wife can get to work by 6:00 am and me by 6:30 am. I still haven't adjusted to standard time and when I finally do, it will change again.

Yeah, that’s what they’re calling for Up North. 8-12 inches for places like Rhinelander, Chippewa Falls & Phillips. We’re much closer to the rain/snow line- only supposed to see 2-3 inches of heavy wet snow/sleet.

Depending on the route I drive through Chippewa Falls and Rhinelander when I go to the U.P. of Michigan to see the old folks. Funny the always say the kids grow up and leave home, but after us kids left and dad retired, they moved back to Michigan, although a different part of it than where we came from.

The best laid plans of men and mice oft go astray!
No museum layout work tonight. I got an email just before I left to go down to the museum..
There was a water leak at the museum and it was shut down while repairs were made and the water damage cleaned up.
We will have to reschedule our layout work.

I spent the evening finishing a couple details on the market kit.
It turned out fairly well, I think. Dang! Forgot to remove the rubber band on the roof sign.
View attachment 41776View attachment 41776
Interesting kit. Looks like an early Circle K or equivalent. Needs some coke machines outside, and that sort of junk. Is that a phone booth at the left?

Good morning. 16 degrees with a winter weather advisory out until tomorrow evening.

Ray - Really enjoyed the MRL photos. Logan, MT is where my freelance railroad connects to the Northern Pacific. The gun range that I go to (was there a couple of days ago) is just to the left of where these locomotives are. The train is passing over the Gallatin River, one of the three rivers that come together just to the west in Three Forks, MT to become the beginnning of the Missouri River. That train would be heading north to Helena, MT and on to Sand Point, ID on it's way to the west coast. Most of these photos were taken right in my back yard.
1574857463347.png The old NP water tower that stood there for years was finally taken down a few years ago. The mountains in the background of the first photo are the Bridger Mountains. One of our local ski areas, Bridger Bowl, is in the Bridgers. The trestle in the last photo on Homestake Pass where the eastbound North Coast Limited photo was taken is still there and can easily be seen from Interstate 90.

Beady - Waiting to see what you do with the additional space on the left.

Texas Hobo - Like your photos of the SD-40's. Terry gave a pretty good reason for finding foreign power in areas where you wouldn't expect to see it. My club in Livingston, MT is a great place to see foreign power as it is a staging srea for trains heading west over Bozeman Pass. I have seen NW, CSX, UP, CN and many other locomotives pass by.

Greg - I do have a couple of control panels along with some DPDT switches on the fascia.

Karl - I don't blame you for going to driver only status. I was helping my daughter move over the weekend and the realization of getting older was quite apparent. Hope you feel better.

Justin -
A nice assortment of photos.

Mikey - Like that convenience store. It will be a interesting addition to most layouts. Modeling in the summer of 1957, there wouldn't be anything like that on my layout.

Johnny - Like the bait shop. Came out well.

Willie - That Chinese restaurant is interesting.

Garry - Those Burlington E units are sweet. I can remember having them pull the North Coast Limited from the Twin Cities down to Chicago.

Kyle - Excellent photo.

HERE COMES A RANT

Haven't been down in the train room for a few days. went to the shooting range Monday and yesterday had a run in with LG APPLIANCES. Maybe the squeaky wheel does get the oil. When we remodeled our kitchen a few years ago, we purchased new LG appliances. Within a week the ice maker on the refrigerator crapped out. LG did replace it. 14 months after purchase the dish washer crapped put. Out of warranty, the repairs were on me. After 3 service calls and numerous parts being advised by LG, the dish washer went to the dump and was replaced with a Maytag which has been operating perfectly since it was installed. Now the gas range has issues. Last year the igniter for the over needed to be replaced. It went out again last week. Needless to say I was a bit pissed. The service man came out and replaced the igniter but now it needs a burner and a couple of other parts. Also, the knobs to control the burners have the numbers and letters coming off. They wanted $70 for a replacement set.

I don't have much use for facebook and don't use it very much, but I went onto LG's facebook page and put out all of the info stated above. I don't think it was a half hour before I got a private message from them. Without going into a lot of detail, they will be paying for the service calls on the range plus will be sending a new set of knobs for the range.

The service man advises everyone to stay away from both LG and Samsung. They seem to engineer their appliances to the minimum and are a constant source of service calls for them. I don;t know why companies with all of the technology we have today can't engineer appliances to last.
I have a freezer chest in the basement that I bought USED 40 years ago and it is still working fine. Our Kenmore (Whirlpool) washer and dryer have to be at least 30 years old and all I have done is replace a heating element in the dryer. Rant over

I will have to go into the archives again for a photo. Here is an oldie. One of the early custom paint jobs that I did. It has been upgraded with a new can motor and still runs like a champ.

Misc trains 021.JPG

If I don't get on here later, I want to wish every one a very HAPPY THANKSGIVING.

Later

Good morning everyone. 34 and sunny out there. Insane wind came through here most of the night - gusts of almost 60 mph. Kept us awake much of the night. Daylight revealed small limbs down everywhere, but no major damage, no loss of electricity. Some other places, yes, but not our area.

MOH and I ran to motor vehicle office after work to get those new "Real ID" drivers licenses. We had all the documentation they asked for, and in a matter of 10-15 minutes we both had temporary licenses and the new ones will arrive in a few weeks. Pretty painless, if you have all the documents they require.

Wheeler, Willie, Patrick, Tom, Tex, Chet, Max, Clint, Chad, Garry, Flip, Chessie, Boris, Curt, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for the likes and comments on the progress with the "Outpost" structure. Update photos are below.

The "Aaron's Outpost" business is now complete and on the layout. Only things left to do are to add some people to the scene (waiting for an order from ModelTrainStuff) and finish the landscaping around the building (I started it but ran out of time last night).

So what do you think, everyone - - was I successful in distinguishing this from the "Al's Supermarket" structure?
Outpost4.jpg
Outpost6.jpg
Outpost7.jpg

I plan to add a half dozen or so shoppers to the scene - I want it to be a "busy" place. A couple of more cars and pickup trucks to the parking area, too. Should look pretty cool when it's done.

It's probably the building I'm most satisfied with so far. The paint scheme, weathering, imperfections, colors, signs, etc., give it pretty much the "look" I wanted.

Thanksgiving tomorrow, of course - - all the kids and their families will be over, and I'll show off the layout and this new structure - my SIL will enjoy it, since it's named for him.

Have a very happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Good Morning Everyone. A chilly 36° and clear. Only projected to reach the lower 50's today, cooler tomorrow with light rainfall totals. Doesn't look like we'll be "partying on the patio" tomorrow. Sadly, the magnitude of the event in our family is reducing since many of the second generation are moving away or spending time with the other half of their families. In 2017 attendance was 46 , dropping to 36 last year. This year is a meager 32.
Spent most of yesterday running errands. Drove to a suburb of Dallas and picked up not one, but two deep-fried turkeys. Took the extra over to my daughter's house where my granddaughter and SIL were home and dropped it off. Nice visit and my granddaughter noted that it was the first time that she had seen me without Grandma ever. While traffic was not stopped anywhere, it was very crowded on the roads. Stopped at the grocery store on the way home and picked up a bunch of rolls for the family Thanksgiving that was assigned to me. The other half of the assignment is ham which I purchased last week. A stop to fuel up completed the trip. Somewhere in all of the activity, I stopped and had fajita lunch with some old fellow workers.
I'll take Eggs Benedict this morning Flo, with a handful of bacon on the side.

Why can't I get turkey eggs in the grocery store???

Thanks for the likes and comments on the Chinese Take out joint; Justin, Phil, Garry, Joe Jerome, Clint, Jim, Chet, Johnny, Curt, Patrick, Tom Mikey.

Barely made it to the train shed yesterday, well that's where the beer fridge is located so it always gets a visit. I am running late this morning so no archive pictures either, maybe later.

Johnny -
I must have forgotten to hit "Post Reply" after typing my post yesterday. Sorry for the confusion. Maybe just another sign that it's time for me to retire?!?!
Heck! I am already retired and I forget to hit "Post Reply" about once a month.
Curt -
Willie- The restaurant needs some dogs and cats around it!
Well there were some around before opening time!

OK, everybody have a great day and a Happy Thanksgiving to all who may not come by tomorrow.

Raincoat: To me, that sign looks a lot better. I think it has a bit more "realism" to it.

I forgot to add in my first post, "Happy Thanksgiving" to all as I probably won't be on tomorrow. Still thinking about being online over the 4-day weekend. I will have train time as I do have work to do, but will be delayed as I'm waiting for the accountant to order the 215 selector switches I need.

Good morning all. A beautiful day in the making and predicted to last through Thanksgiving.
I did get to the train room yesterday for about an hour and a half. Had a little operating with pick up and leaves at the interchange.
I don't know that I will be able to drop by tomorrow, so I'd like to wish everyone here at the diner a safe and Happy Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving.png

Want to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving from snowy Utah!

Chet: That sucks with the LG stuff. I've tried to avoid the Korean makers personally, but looking at Yale Appliance service and repair stats for various sorts of appliances, both Samsung and LG usually are rated pretty high. Go figure. We've had LG washer and dryer for 12 years without issue. I've heard of all sorts of Samsung problems with their washers. All of the appliance makers today seem to aim for minimum life on their products. Just get you past the warranty.

ETA: Yale Appliance does note that Samsung sells far more than they have the resources to service in terms of service stations etc. and may of the independents don't work on LG or Samsung.

Last edited:
I had to replace our Maytag dryer after three years. The matching washer still works fine, as does the replacement GE dryer.

Howdy everyone!

Thanks to everyone who liked my last post!

Patrick - thanks for the comment on my derail fix
Joe - thanks for the photo comment
Garry - really like your layout photo. it blends very well with the background.
Curt - the derail fix is working very well. I ran trains for 1½ hours with no problems.
Ray - the last group of photos - 2 thumbs up
Chet - I like the photos and the rant. I heard other people having problems with those products. I just replaced my 24
year old Whirlpool washer. Real happy with it. So I bought another Whirlpool. This one is electronic and I don't
have the faith in it as my old mechanical washer. Time will tell.

I'm posting 3 photos, as the set belongs together. But this just goes to prove my age is starting to show. I couldn't remember if I posted these before or not. I had a list of posted photos and looked for it. I couldn't find it. :rolleyes::)

Sitting here eating a piece of pumpkin pie with whipped cream and coffee - I am wishing everyone a . . .
HAPPY THANKSGIVING

The Accident
IorVQZU.jpg

The Cause
bl6ujux.jpg

The Recovery
tKoCPET.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back