Running Bear’s November 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they do away with the coffee shop, where am I going to get my caffeine fix? And how about all the great layout pictures? And all the prototype train pictures?
Then I couldn't tell you that our 16th annual train show at the McWane Science Center in Birmingham, Alabama will begin this Saturday. The Wrecking Crew HO scale, a N scale layout, and the "under construction" On30 layout are now set up and running. The McWane owned O scale Lionel
noisy layout has an outside oval and an elevated figure 8 loop inside that attract kids from 2 to 102. The Hogwarts layout will be on display near the ticket counter.
It has been about 3 years since I took pictures, so I will try to share a few photos later.

Morning all,

55* and clouding up, supposed to get a little rain today through tonight.

Got a little train time last night, and only 1 good picture of the work...
20191119_191910.jpg

The track is done! Now to get it wired. The test Amtrak car flows through everything just fine. Rails aren't quite as straight as I would have liked, but looking down the prototype BNSF in my area, they aren't perfect either (or at least I'm going to keep telling myself that). The wires need to be fed through the table and I need to get the ties replaced where I removed them on the flex track.

On a side note (and sorry for the bad shot), can anyone tell me if these are N or HO scale?
20191119_192352.jpg

20191119_192449.jpg

The bottom has a number 2 and the words made in United States of America. They are about 3 1/2 inches tall and look a little short for HO, but look too big for N. I guess they could be shorter track side poles. They do have the ladder hooks on the sides as well.

Good morning everyone. 47 and sunny out there. Now come two days of rain starting tonight, followed by a sunny weekend in the 50s, and next week starts in the 60s (then it goes downhill for Thanksgiving).

I agree with others about keeping the Coffee Shop as it is. I would think grown men (and any women out there) could police ourselves and refrain from genuinely inflammatory remarks in the area of politics and religion. You all know from previous posts that I have my political views, like everyone else, and I think you all know that I'm a born-again Christian, in fact I'm an ordained minister - - but I don't try to shove my beliefs down anyone's throat. And as important as I think sharing my faith is, I (try to) hold back from going too far on this forum. Since this is, after all, a model train forum, I try keep my contributions to that arena. Besides, like Mikey posted last night, if we change or do away with the Coffee Shop, where will I get my virtual caffeine fix??

Tom, Flip, Patrick, and anyone I may have missed - thanks for the likes and comments.
Mikey - Your Birmingham train show coming up sounds like it will be a good one. Take a few photos and post them. I always take a photo or two of our local train show and the forum folks seem to like them. You planning on buying anything?
Patrick - Nice photos of your layout. Hope all goes well when you wire it up. I remember connecting alligator clips to my first section of track a few years ago and seeing it work. A thrill, especially for a newbie like me. Can't help you on identifying those poles.
Willie - Like Greg said yesterday, I really like your work on the mortar on your structures. It's highly realistic. Wish I could get those kinds of results.

Got some more done on the "bait and tackle" structure, which has a new name now:
Outpost1.jpg

Have a little clean-up to do on that sign, then glue it in place. I have some camping-fishing-hunting advertisements to go on the outside walls. Can't see it at all in this photo, but there's a scene inside the front windows. There will be a light inside, so that will help. I may put a light under the porch roof if it isn't too bright for the scene. I may repaint that porch (it's not glued in place yet) - a lighter wood color, and cement color for the steps. What do you think?

That's it for now.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning Everyone. 61° and cloudy; chance of rain for the next 60 hours with the greatest chance around sunset tomorrow when the next cold front hits us. Humidity is currently near 100%.

What's that Flo? Breakfast perogis? Sausage, egg, cheese, potato and onion. Sounds good, I'll try some. Chet brags on them all the time.

Thanks for the likes and comments on yesterday's post; Chet, Chad, Patrick, Jerome, Johnny, Joe, Greg, Hughie, Phil, Tom, Curt, Rick, Justin.

Not a lot of real progress yesterday in the train shed. Patched a gap in the sidewalk and later painted it.
11-20-19 001.JPG

Added a small bit of fencing to the alleys and broke another drill bit.
11-20-19 002.JPG

Added downspout to rear.
11-20-19 003.JPG

Johnny - I name fictional towns for family members. Besides differentiating structures with colors and signs, I also add or remove shutters and extended loading docks. More urban buildings might also get fire escapes.
Greg - I hope that your banishment went well! Regarding the number of structures on my layout, it's just a tad over 300 right now, including the backdrop structures. I am in need of some additional ones though, for several completely undeveloped areas. I still have some left on the shelf from my multi-year buying spree prior to retirement, but I do need some more. I also have about two dozen cardstock cut-outs taped to the wall.
Hughie - I have also begun to take photos of an area to see what I might do to improve it. I also find a lot of dust and cobwebs that I didn't see with the unassisted eye!:(
Curt - There are times that my mortar washes give me fits. I cannot always duplicate them the way that I want. While most of my figures are from those 100+ unpainted sets from Preiser, some of which are cut up and reassembled; I have started using some of the Woodland Scenics sets. They are a bit pricey but they are very well done. Occasionally I find them vastly under priced ($3-$4) at the local Hobby Lobby shortly after Christmas.
Patrick - Those are HO lineside poles, not intended for clearance over tracks. They might also be used for older rural power poles but they are too short for urban use.

Everybody have a great day.

Good Morning Everyone...again a cloudy day in Wisconsin.

First of all please don't even consider removing Running Bear's Coffee Shop from the Forum. This Thread perhaps is the glue that binds the Forum together and keeps everyone up to date on other members activities, both with model railroading, prototypes and personal activities. We must follow the Forum's rules set by the Administrator or face the consequences. However, a personal greeting around the 25th of December should not offend anyone, but an explanation of the reasons behind the holiday tradition(s) or an expression of political views on the Forum is unnecessary and outside the guidelines of this Forum.

Another day at the MD's office. The appointments usually run late and a 10 minute appointment means a 30-45 minute wait afer the appointment time to see the medical staff. After the MD visit we plan on visiting a friend of mine from High School and then go for a pizza and garlic bread. This pizza restaurant relocated from a questionable neighborhood in Milwaukee to the suburbs and I been going to the original restaurant for pizza since High School. This will be our first visit to the new location.

Going to continue working on the Electrical Requirements for the MMR and will send an email today to the NMRA for clarification of several questions I have concerning the requirements.

Mortar: Has anyone tried Roberts Brick Mortar, a paste like, off white material that makes great mortar lines? https://www.southsidetrains.com/RobertsBrickMortar.aspx It an easy product to apply and has great results. But, fellow modelers as your photos attest, whatever mortar process you are using is providing very nice mortar results.

Willie: Yes, I had a good day of banishment to the basement. The carpets required 6-8 hours of drying time, but the carpet did dry faster than expected it being winter time and the air less humid in the house.

Not much more to add.....

Greg

############################

Good morning. We started off at 31 degrees this morning. looks like that may be our high for the next few days. Just an overcast crappy looking day.
Put new brakes on my Buick LeSabre yesterday and rode around the valley to set the brake pads and then met some friends for lunch. My bowling partner and myself had gone to just about every burger joint in the area last summer when I was going to physical therapy and came to the conclusion that a place called Sidewinders was the best place in town. The service is outstanding as was the food and on top of that the company is run by veterans.

I am sorry to see that Louis got his panties in a bunch as I did enjoy seeing his morning posts and photos, but no politics are the rule for the coffee shop. I really enjoy the people here and enjoy keeping up on the projects that people are doing. Would like to keep things as they are.

Ray - You are correct about the start up dates for Montana Rail Link. When they started off, almost everything they ran for power was second handd that they ran through their shops. I can remember seeing old CNW geeps lined up outside the shops waiting their turn to be rebuilt. They do have one excellent operation going on there.

Garry
- Sorry to hear about your wife's mom. We went through the same thing a few years back, but thankfully parents lived locally.

Joe - Nice photo of the UP equipment.

Patrick - The yard is coming along nicely. Keep the photos coming.

Johnny - Waiting to see what you do with your bait shop.

Willie -
Nice photos as usual. I did notice that there were no bodies laying around in them. Thumb up.gif

My daughter who is going through a divorce is in the process of selling their house so I will be busy making some minor repairs and using my truck top help her move. Won't have much train time till the move is over. I did get down to run some trains on Monday. Enjoyed running the little Prairie locomotive. Can't believe how smoothly the little guy runs with the open frame motor. Here it is getting ready to head to the round house.

thumbnail_20191116_144547.jpg

thumbnail_20191116_144657.jpg

Later

Good morning all. Oatmeal please. Well summer has slipped in a day, 80 degrees. Not a lot of progress on D&AR. I'm waiting on some wiring and then will work my my under the table for some added track power points and 2 switches. I find I'am not as pliable as I once was. So I wait until I have enough work need under the layout to justify wiggling and squirming, not to mention head knocks. Tomorrow has rain predicted so maybe I'll get something done on the layout, then again maybe I'll do some switching or maybe pour a scotch and just watch the trains in my little world>

Afternoon All,

Just doing more cleaning today. The wife found 3 cabinets with rusty hinges so she is out getting new ones and I took the old ones off and now waiting. I actually think I'm coming to the end of the list except for the last minute things (unless the wife finds more to do:().

Tom- I won't have any since the critters will knock the train off the track.

Joe- Seems strange to see you posting a UP photo.

Mikey- Sounds like a fun time.

Patrick- Almost time to start running trains:).

Johnny- That's going to be a nice looking building.

Chet- Sorry to hear about your daughter. Excellent layout shots and I really like the industrial orange.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Joe- Seems strange to see you posting a UP photo.
Curt: It was the Butte Special, a rather obscure Branchline connection no less ;) The attraction is that the train is a perfect Pike Sized train, more suited to my layout. Most PRR/PC passenger train photos are either 14 cars long or just a single unit and single car. Just substitute PRR equipment and instant Pennsylvania Pike Sized train. :cool:.

Good Morning Everyone. 61° and cloudy; chance of rain for the next 60 hours with the greatest chance around sunset tomorrow when the next cold front hits us. Humidity is currently near 100%.

What's that Flo? Breakfast perogis? Sausage, egg, cheese, potato and onion. Sounds good, I'll try some. Chet brags on them all the time.

Thanks for the likes and comments on yesterday's post; Chet, Chad, Patrick, Jerome, Johnny, Joe, Greg, Hughie, Phil, Tom, Curt, Rick, Justin.

Not a lot of real progress yesterday in the train shed. Patched a gap in the sidewalk and later painted it.
View attachment 41642
Added a small bit of fencing to the alleys and broke another drill bit.
View attachment 41643
Added downspout to rear.
View attachment 41644

Johnny - I name fictional towns for family members. Besides differentiating structures with colors and signs, I also add or remove shutters and extended loading docks. More urban buildings might also get fire escapes.
Greg - I hope that your banishment went well! Regarding the number of structures on my layout, it's just a tad over 300 right now, including the backdrop structures. I am in need of some additional ones though, for several completely undeveloped areas. I still have some left on the shelf from my multi-year buying spree prior to retirement, but I do need some more. I also have about two dozen cardstock cut-outs taped to the wall.
Hughie - I have also begun to take photos of an area to see what I might do to improve it. I also find a lot of dust and cobwebs that I didn't see with the unassisted eye!:(
Curt - There are times that my mortar washes give me fits. I cannot always duplicate them the way that I want. While most of my figures are from those 100+ unpainted sets from Preiser, some of which are cut up and reassembled; I have started using some of the Woodland Scenics sets. They are a bit pricey but they are very well done. Occasionally I find them vastly under priced ($3-$4) at the local Hobby Lobby shortly after Christmas.
Patrick - Those are HO lineside poles, not intended for clearance over tracks. They might also be used for older rural power poles but they are too short for urban use.

Everybody have a great day.
It's funny how you don't see the grass or earth in the roadway, or the spray bottle, car off the track until you take what you thought was going to be a prize photo.

I see nobody listens.

"NO POLITICS. NO RELIGION".

Posts were again removed.

I see someone has stepped in the proverbial dog do do again. I haven't been here much lately, but I have lurked from time to time, and I also have had discussions (If you want to call them that) with Louis on FB. There are plenty of other venues for that. Here we talk about our trains (and family members, aches and pains,,life events, etc.)
Willie ,I concur with your assessment that the next Lionel commemorative car may bring Louis back into the shop. If it does. great!

As far as it goes here, life is good! The Mrs has now been the Mrs. for a month now, and we haven't killed each other yet. We are still blending households and emptying her house, so it may be a few more weeks before normal is achieved, but we are making progress.

beware of Bob.jpg

Please remember, whose sandbox we are playing in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back