Running Bear's October 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning everyone. Cool 50 degrees in the Ozark Foothills. Going to start out with some coffee then some Oatmeal then finish up that Frisco Reefer.

Johnny. Have fun in Branson my wife and the girls have been going the since we’ve been married which the 25th of this month 23 years.

A quick good morning. Having an early breakfast so we can hit the road. It is roughly 815 miles back to the house and I think we'll try to get home tonight. We will lose an hour with the time change but with good weather it should be no problem. All but one car was sold with the last one going on the block today. a 1960 Chevy Impala.

Overall, I am quite satisfied with the results. I had nothing exotic or highly restored and was suprised that they were getting higher prices than late model Mercedes Benz and other high dollar cars. Almost bid on a few, but between there being no merceded dealers for hundreds of miles and the evil eye I was getting from the wife I passed.

I'll have to check the posts when I get home. I am sure that I am either missing or not being able to appreciated the photos on the small phone screen.

Boggity, boggity boggity.

Later

I took this pic yesterday morning at our Yard always like the TTX Rail Boxes

C39D57BA-DFF5-48E6-919A-3B8C31914EF0.jpeg

zkr78 .... Thank you for showing your pictures of the Ogden Museum...... When I was there in May. it was crowded and I could not take a picture without a lot of people.

TrucTrain .... Restoring the old All Nation boxcar looks like fun. ... Speaking of Branson, My wife and I along with two other couples went there last year. We met up with Johnny and his wife, and we all road the Dinner Train together. Johnny and his wife are very good people, and the train ride was wonderful.

Here is a picture I took in Utah in May of vehicles on the highway pacing UP 4014.

46960551565_0a47a0ce73_k.jpg

Here is a for our trip last year...... Johnny and Dena are the couple on the left. My wife, Shelley, and I are the second couple from the left. The third couples Ed and Julie (our neighbors in KY). The far right couple is Reg and May Ann ( friends in IL).

42198163952_e6a2e02ee2_k.jpg

Everybody .... Have a nice Saturday.

Last edited:
Good Morning All. 69° and clear this Saturday morning. Cool spell yesterday ends today with temps back into the 90's before the next one hits Sunday night.

Thanks for the likes and comments on the detailing pictures; Joe, Sherrel, Justin, Patrick, Louis, Garry, Jerome, Chad, Randy, Chet, Tim, Lee, Curt, Tom, Z, Justin.

Slow day yesterday in the train shed. Spent most of the day outdoors, still getting caught up on some leftover yardwork from being on vacation. I inspected and vacuumed about 180' of trackwork. My only visual find was a Kadee coupler spring that I likely wouldn't have found if that part of the layout had scenery on it. I have a small amount left to do before doing some minor cleaning with the Woodland Scenics Tidy Track wand next. Since I have the weathering materials out, I pulled six sugar-hauling covered hoppers off the layout for weathering, just applied Dull Coat yesterday to give the powder something to stick to. On the layout itself, I did more visualizing in the most recent project area. I do need to finalize the track layout for the two industries that are already there and determine what I am going to do with the rest of the blank space on both sides of the tracks through the area.

Patrick - Enjoy that time off. No internet at home?
Johnny - My blood sugar spiked one time and doctor had it retested and it went back to normal (just slightly high). It's been that way ever since, so he did nothing. He and I am not reactionary when it comes to medications unless necessary. An early Happy Birthday for Dena from me. Retirement means getting up in the morning without having to be somewhere most days. I started early at 63, but waited three years before applying for SS. Stock Market took care of income in between!
Joe -
Willie: That sander hose is really misrouted...but the level of detail on those motors is fantastic.
The center axles rotate where appropriate as well. Hopefully it's not too much trouble to re-route that pipe. I have had to do it on some P2K locos before.
Sherrel - Get well soon. You're correct about the posts, they have been increasing lately, all across the forum not just here in the Coffee Shop.
Louis -
Honest Joe has a long and proven track record
Except that he admitted his transgression on video while he was still Veep!. Classic example of "Quid Pro Quo". In my mind, I'm not too sure it should be frowned on!
Randy - The piping on those diesels is indeed jaw-dropping. I was afraid that my pictures wouldn't do it justice.
Terry - They do not work in DC. But I never run trains in the dark, so that feature would be lost on me.
Tom - You will be very happy with the SD40-2's. Mine are excellent except for the plastic proprietary couplers that I replaced immediately. I suspect that they have switched them to metal by now.
David - Good to see you again. How's the shooting hobby working out for you?

Got a few more vacation layout pictures to post. These are from one of the HO layouts at the Mississippi Coast Model Railroad Museum in Gulfport MS. I don't think that I have posted these yet, excuse me if I did.
09-27-19 trip 008.JPG

09-27-19 trip 009.JPG

09-27-19 trip 010.JPG

Everybody have a great day and a wonderful weekend.

Thanks Garry
We rode it one when the first got it going we rode in the Burlington vista car it was a blast I need to do that again wish we were going we’ve never went in the Fall because of the girls sports activities I had one graduate last year and the other one is 14 maybe when the other one graduates we can go in the fall

Thanks all of you for your likes.

Morning from out here!
It's 48* with the record low being 47* in 2009 - been pushing the record lows for the past week.
Supposed to climb up to 86* today with the record high being 97* in 2014.

Lots of very nice photos ... from everyone.
TrucTrain55 - I really like the IHB switcher. Shows what one can do with the Lionel brand. Keep it up!
The trackwork impresses me greatly.

Willie: More good photos from your vacation trip.

Garry: Downright awesome picture of chasing UP4014 - and of the Branson meet.

CHET - Safe trip -815 miles in one day - don't think I want to ride with you! I like to see things along the way.
I would be interested in knowing your route for our trip planning up that direction?

That's all for now - need to reread and see who I may have missed . Don't mean to overlook anyone?

Good morning. The temperature dropped to 45° this morning, and the leaves are starting to drop.

Except that he admitted his transgression on video while he was still Veep!. Classic example of "Quid Pro Quo". In my mind, I'm not too sure it should be frowned on!
Willie: I agree this is a "Quid Pro Quo". (Idle Thought), How many contemporary Journalists, and News Readers even know the meaning of that phrase, or that it's Latin? o_O.
Seriously, no politician would remain in office for the length of time they do, if their income was limited to the advertised salary of their position, or if they had to pay for the loyalty and determination of unpaid volunteer campaign workers driven by strong political feelings.

I've changed all the couplers on my Scale Trains. Plastic just doesn't cut it when pulling long trains.
Tom: You have that right. They even fail in switching scenarios. (Which reminds me, I have to restock my Kadee supply).

Lee: I love the repainted Lionel NW-2. I had one, with a working horn, from a 1957 set. Unfortunately, my mother gave it away, while I was away at college. :(

[QUOTE="MikeInHubCity, post: 464423, member: 6166"]that potential Subway Series would be a continuation(after a 38 year hiatus) of the most frequent Fall Classic matchup, with the Evil Empire winning 8 of the 11 matchups(1955- the sole championship in Brooklyn,[/QUOTE]
Mike: You are right about that. FWIW, It would revive my interest in baseball, especially if da bums, were to win the series.
I clearly understand that MLB is a business first, but I still resent teams relocating. I'm not sure which sports team move bothered me the most, but the Colts from Baltimore, the Dodgers from Brooklyn, and the A's from Philly top my list.

Chet: Excellent result.

David: Good to see you posting. Hope you're feeling better.

This morning, I had difficulty descending the stairs. both knees were acting up. Conclusion, I really need to have knee replacement surgery, and I really need to buy a one story house. :rolleyes:. I tend to put things off. Sometimes, life sucks! Moving right along, my modeling efforts for the weekend, including improving the fit where the meat packing plant is located, plus paint the back drop...Then, I need to finish the freight house.
Sounds easy, eh?

Boris

Thanks Boris mine doesn’t have the horn sound it was a Santa Fe a early one with no sound. I hope your knees get better I feel you pain as well I’ve been a truck driver for 30yrs now and always had arthritis in my knees.
Hope you get some work done on the packing plant take care

Guys
What happened to “Wambat457”
Tony, aka Wombat457, hasn't been seen on this forum since early December. A few weeks ago, someone posted on another thread that they thought that he might return soon as he had started posting again on an N scale forum. I don't remember what they were, but on that forum he had explained some "life" issues with either him or his wife. Even though he was N scale, I always read his posts; he was quite an interesting individual and I miss him.

Beady- I think I remember you saying you were in the CG? I retired last year as an MKC. 22 years total, 6 AD, the rest Reserve. Had a few shipmates deploy to Gitmo. We sailed by it on our Christmas cruise (vacation) in 2017.

Here are a few more pics from my trip. As I curate them I will add more. I even have some video from Promontory when they brought out 119 and Jupiter. Gonna have to figure out the best way to get that on here.
Yup, 72 to 76 and 79 to 82. Got out as HM2. Spent my entire 2nd hitch on Kodiak. Did about a year's airborne medivac duty (because of which I can claim to have survived 3 days on a desert island-although the reality wasn't nearly that dramatic).

We were at Promontory a few months before the anniversary. Didn't go out to the trains; the price seemed a little steep to stand next to a couple of replicas. Otoh, one of the best gift shops I've ever seen.

I believe someone here recently asked about the possibility of vandalism at Promontory. I suppose it's possible, but there isn't a house for miles, and the only other nearby facility is a Grumman-Northrup(?) plant that has its own heavy security. You'd have to be going there solely for the purpose, presumably at night, and would stick out like a sore thumb en route.

Boris, you may only need work on one knee. When Mrs Beady finally got to the doctor, he opined that only one of her knees was bad, which was causing problems for her other knee. And that's the way it turned out. Mind, she still takes the stairs one at a time (both feet on one stair before going to the next), but it's a lot easier than it was.

Also, a one-story house really does help. We got really lucky; we found a place that already had a ramp (for when that time comes) and the laundry had been moved from the basement into the smallest of three bedrooms. And, as a bonus, we paid cash for it out of the equity in our old house.

But to emphasize: when looking for a single-story house at our age, don't forget about the laundry; if it's not already on the same floor as the bedrooms, the conversion should figure into your calculations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back