Running Bear’s August 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon. It's sunny and 85.
I mentioned this in another place, box office sales and positive critic reviews do not always make a movie great--or even good.
If anybody gets the wild idea of watching "The wandering Earth", go to the end, and watch the last five minutes or so first, then watch the movie from the beginning. It will make so much more sense, and be much less frustrating. It won't make the movie any better, but at least you'll understand what's going on.
Sounds like a candidate for the god-Awful Movies podcast.

All-righty, then.
I know I've mentioned the natural gas fiasco at our house.
The line was installed about three months ago, maybe more.
The gas company did seed and straw the area they dug up, but the grass has never come in there.
Today, I went to Home Depot, and picked up a can of Bermuda grass seed/fertilizer/mulch, and applied it on the area, following the instructions.
I then watered the area, again following the instructions.
We are now experiencing a severe thunderstorm, and I am watching the grass seed I applied less than an hour ago wash into the back yard.
Sigh...

TERRY -- As sad as that is, I could not resist a laugh - damn, I didn't mean too!

Good evening Shop Dwellers; 74*F, clear and calm here in central MD.

We lost our power for ~90 minutes yesterday as a thunderstorm came thru. Though I don't particularly enjoy that type of inconvenience, I got a sense of satisfaction in seeing that the Basement Watchdog battery-backup sump pump that I installed in 2011 was still doing its job. That sump pit fills rapidly whenever we get any heavy rainfall, and without a working pump, our basement would definitely get flooded. I installed that BW thing two days before Hurricane Irene invaded my region, since I remembered having to manually fill-up buckets from the sump pit, run them up the stairs, and dump them off the porch, during a T-storm power outage a few months earlier - didn't want to go thru THAT again!

This ol' bod of mine is still plodding s-l-o-w-l-y back to recovery. At least I'm getting better at managing the 3-month lingering effects of the surgery; I'm confident now that I'll be able to return to the workplace [on Aug 13] and function without attracting any unwanted attention!;) I do appreciate the continued well-wishes and expressions of concern.

Justin - that clunking gear problem with the LifeLike geep is a normal thing, you didn't get ripped off. Popping of the bottoms of the trucks and putting in those Athearn gears that Terry linked to will definitely fix the problem. I've done the gear replacement exercise on every one of the dozen LL GP7, GP9, and GP30 units that I own.

Last edited:
Update on the GP7. Found all four axle gears were cracked. It's wonder the thing even ran at all. The gears practically fell off. Installed Athearn gears and all is good and well with it. No more ca-chunk. However it is quite a coffee grinder.....I made the mistake of not lubricating the gears! I realized my mistake off the jump. So I'll have to pull it again to do a proper lube service and wheel cleaning on it.

Good morning. It's cloudy and 68.
Threatened downpours overnight didn't materialize, so hopefully any remaining grass seed will stay put.

King Toot, I am very familiar with "Maccas" My great friend Rodney of Tasmania through our regular phone conversations has schooled me on much of the Australian vernacular.
1565005418474.png

David, I concur with Willie, I believe that is the "gate way to the west", Saint Louis. I can't say for sure because I found the photo on Bing, but I would be surprised if it were not. Bing does show the origin, but the link to the origin sometimes does not work as it did in this case. I'm glad you liked the photos. Like Ken, I love that era for trains.

I love all eras for trains, but the eras beginning with the late 60 to the present are my favorites.

Willie, I've been hearing the debates described as a "circular firing squad", but I like your description, "cannibalistic" better. Yours is more primal and that fits better in my mind.

Sherell, I agree, the pitchers should bat. The few pitchers that are good hitters should be able to exploit their advantage. The rest that are not so good at hitting should learn to sacrifice bunt with runners on base and look for something down the middle to swing hard at with the bases empty or not swing at all!

Boris, that would be a good model to represent Esskay, but time marches on. Even this guy would understand.
1565005998915.png

That's all for me, time to take my Mom shopping.

Have a great day Everybody, God Bless You All!

Ps forgive me if I missed anybody. I assure you it was unintentional if I did.

Good Morning All. 75° and partly cloudy. That 60% chance of rain yesterday never materialized here, although the Weather Underground station (two of them) 1.25 miles south received .25". My plumber was concerned that he would be working in the rain, but it held off. After admitting that he could have done a better job (slightly differently) previously, he supplied all of the parts and worked 90 minutes on his dime. Afterward I had to clear the sewer line that had clogged due to the lack of flushing. While waiting for him to show up, I managed to finish mowing the SFW estate except for the strip alongside the drainage swale along the west side. Then later, the icemaker froze up and the water kept coming (initially unknown) and I had a solid block of ice in the hopper. In the midst of all this I had to make a run to town for emergency medical supplies for my wife, an enema, so I also stopped by the closest convenience store for more gas for the mower, which made the trip more worthwhile. Had to hold off doing the sheets in the washer just in case.:confused: A busy day doing chores and fighting Murphy all in one. Still managed to hit the pool later with a cold brew.
Just make that bacon and two over-easy eggs this morning Francine.

Thanks for the likes and comments on yesterday's current project posting; Sherrel, Jerome, Justin, Joe, Ken.

Managed to get a little time in the train shed yesterday. I did paint all of the rail and ties with a rattle can of Model Master's Light Earth paint. Next I will highlight random ties with various shades of gray and brown paints, and dry brush some visible rail-sides as well. Might even have time for ballasting a bit. I won't bore anyone with a picture of painted rail, so here is a better shot of the diner in between the lounge and gas station.
08-04-19 004.001.JPG

This is another Walther's kit, Miss Bettie's Diner. Even though they cannot be seen here, I put plates, cups, napkins and other details along with over a dozen figures in this model. Some of this detailing is visible on the layout.

Phil - Thanks for the update on Curt. Glad that it isn't a serious health issue.
Joe - Rehab is coming along nicely. Thank you for asking. First session at the rehab center went well, but insiders tell me that the first one is usually not too stressful. This week we begin the three/week sessions there as well as the daily at home sessions. The swelling is not as severe now and she no longer has ice on it 24/7, now just 2-3 hours at a time 4 times a day.
Interesting aside. The folks at the rehab center asked her what her walkers name was? Apparently people give names to their walkers! After she thought for two days without a result, I named it Hershel Walker. For you youngsters out there, he was the 1982 Heisman trophy winner and three time All American in college football, and went on to a successful 14 year professional football career. My wife is a football fanatic and he played for the Cowboys two different times.
Nice job so far on the Champion Packing build. Like you, my walkway is on the back and I didn't do as much detailing on it.
Ken - Continued best wishes on your recovery.

My sister and her husband live in Dayton OH, about a block from the location of the recent mass shooting. They were awakened in the middle of the night and were able to see a lot of activity from their second floor bedroom window, mainly emergency vehicles coming and people hurriedly leaving the scene. She said that the most gruesome (and sad) part was watching the cascade of red water gushing down their street as the Hazmat team washed the scene Sunday morning. Bad things come in threes, last March the Dayton tornados came within three blocks of their house, what's next? Aliens landing in their yard?

Hmmmh! Today is National Underwear Day. Wear it proudly if you wear any at all.
Everybody have a great day.

Good morning, 72 and muggy this morning. I did have a restful day Sunday, spent the afternoon on the Water Tank, however left the photo card in the camera so pics will be tomorrow maybe.

Willie, more nice buildings! What on earth will you do when the layout if full?

Boris, I like the meatpacking building! That is big.

Justin, read that you are well on the way to fixing your ebay buy

Greg, half done already! That is great.

Took this picture after work Saturday. I have seen many of these Chicago Northwestern covered hoppers, many have the old logo well intact. This one is just a rusty remnant.

IMG_0723.jpg

more later, Dave

Good morning ...

Good to see everybody here. We're home now, and we are busy trying to catch up with routine stuff.

Thanks for all the comments about photos I posted.

Have good Monday, everybody.

I'm not too sure!:) But I'm a long way off. I really like structure building and I have several quite large undeveloped areas left to do. Although some have a few tentative structures in them. There are three 2' x 16' places still to go with many additional smaller parcels. I know what I want to do but time is more limited than I expected. I really don't expect to come close to finishing until 2023 at the earliest, although I have made more progress in 2018-2019 than in the previous 7 years. Much of that previous time was spent on a job, completing the train shed and completing the benchwork. If I really wanted to, I still have an 8' x 20' side room in the train shed that could be used for development.

Hello Diners!
Flo, please tell Mel to get a move on! I'll have my usual - coffee, eggs up with bacon, hash browns, and sourdough toast!
The temp only climbed to 97* yesterday and another 99* is called for today. Last year it was 99* and the record of 103* was in 2000.
Willie - Glad to hear of the progress that Arlene has made ... naming the walker, Hershel, is very fitting - I am amazed that you had that thought - I remember those days as my father was an avid Cowboy fan back then- one of my regrets is not taking him to a game back then - it would have been an easy thing to do.
Sounds as if your day was as hectic as mine was a few back. You did not say where the leak was that the plumber was working on? Sure hope he made a lasting repair this time.
IB Ken - Sure glad to hear that you are on the road to recovery! Please don't try and rush it too much? At this stage in the process - you may be subject to a setback, or two. Not uncommon from all the drugs draining from your system?
Garry - Glad to see you back -- pictures were great from your trip.
Dave - Nice photo of the CNW hopper. Your water tank looks great!

More home chores today..my eggs are here!

You did not say where the leak was that the plumber was working on? Sure hope he made a lasting repair this time.
Right between my cut-off valve (newly installed) at the meter, and it's connection to the water line leading to the house. Since I hadn't filled the hole back in yet, the re-repair was a little easier for him. I also hope that this one lasts as that $350 water bill, after the first broken connection was a hard check to write, that was after the water company granted a $260 leak forgiveness request. The grass will be greener there for a few weeks!:mad:

Good Morning Everyone..............beautiful day in this part of Wisconsin.

Slowly getting better after the tick bite, eating very little and drinking liquids. Sort weak in the knees and legs. I'm half half through the antibiotic treatment. Sleep pattern is way off from what it should be for a normal person.

My model railroading is limited to the web, reading magazines and emails. I received an invitation to visit Seth Puffer's railroad which I'll do next year. It's in Minnesota and I'll take the Hiawatha to get there from Milwaukee.
[/QUOTE]

Greg- the Hiawatha runs between Milwaukee & Chicago. The Empire Builder runs from Milwaukee(via Chicago) to MN & then on to Portland & Seattle.

Thanks Mike, I always get the two mixed up when I watch the Amtrak trains at Du Plainville. I take the Hiawatha when I need to go to Chicago and used it a lot when I was still working, it usre beat driving in Chicago traffic since our meetings always lasted until 4:30 PM.

Greg

Good morning, 72 and muggy this morning. I did have a restful day Sunday, spent the afternoon on the Water Tank, however left the photo card in the camera so pics will be tomorrow maybe.

Boris, I like the meatpacking building! That is big.

Justin, read that you are well on the way to fixing your ebay buy

Greg, half done already! That is great.

Took this picture after work Saturday. I have seen many of these Chicago Northwestern covered hoppers, many have the old logo well intact. This one is just a rusty remnant.

View attachment 38422

more later, Dave
Dave, just for you. ;)
20190710_222906.jpg

Now that I've caught up, it's almost lunch time.

Busy weekend as usual. Got to a train show that wasn't all that. Mostly Lionel and American flyer with a little HO and N tossed in. Finally got the diaphragms for the sprinklers and got the 2 dead zones working again. I was told that when they quit working I was looking at expensive repairs (like in a total redo of the valves which require digging). I found the parts online for about $4.50 each from Home Depot. So I current have $9.00 bucks (and some funds in the swear jar) on a now working again sprinkler system. I did get the parts for all 5 of my zones as I can then repair them without waiting the 2 weeks for parts to get here.

On the train side, I got the track and cork underlay completed on the GS's trains. I started running the wires through the table. Those wires to the switches are pretty thin. At the train show I bought him an old school house with a slide, swing and merry-go-round. I'm waiting to see if he notices....

Got to get a car wash as I hit Pepé LePew this morning, although the car coming at me hit him first, I got 2nd hit and probably most of the smell. At least it's on the outside.

Good afternoon. Had our first t/s around 10 a.m. Sun back out with it's heat and humidity. Waiting for a second round of storms.
Thanks again for all the pixs. Really enjoy seeing the artistry and talent so many of you possess.
Prayers for us in need
Phil

WHEREVER YOU GO THERE YOU ARE. YOUR LUGGAGE IS ANOTHER STORY.

Afternoon fellers. Another awesome day in paradise. The dreaded back to work Monday for me. Took the little man to the doctor this morning for his 9 month check up. He checked out well. Of course he had to have a booster shot which made him crabby for a bit. After some thought on my GP7 and what Ken had posted last night. I don't exactly feel ripped off. I feel lied to I guess you can say? The feller who was selling put in the post it ran fine. Now of course the wording was the same for all his items he was selling so I know he recycled his description. I still scored a P2K locomotive for $50 which is rare for the P2K GP7 and GP9 loco.otives to sell under $90. The fix was free for me as I've stock piled Athearn parts over the years. So I was relieved to find out that the Athearn gears are the fix. I plan on lubricating it tonight and giving the wheels a good cleaning. Anyways moving on I have some more coal country pics for y'all to enjoy. The last one is a good one for modeling coal country yard trackage. I suppose I'll save it for a reference guide on how my yard should look.
f39363896624f8efef41430f68a793a3.jpg

4co6031crossingwestforktrestlenearkitekywithwbebvshifter-asf.jpg

13coeastendofyardandengineterminalatmartinky-asf.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back