Running Bear’s August 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Murphy is alive and well!

Placed the G-Kids on a flight from LAX-IAD Wednesday night. All the driving to Raging Waters, Sea World, Palomar Observatory, Oceanside Beach, swimming at the Mom's house several times ... has worn out this body, not to mention a couple 200 mile RT's to the airport built in.
Daughter stayed here as she has to go to SFO this Sunday for a weeks work there before returning to Washington.
Yesterday morning she rose early and drove to the next door city North of us for an AA meeting - on the return , stop and go morning commute traffic, she rear ended a "jacked-up" P/U truck. No damage to the truck except a scratch on the bumper, however my car just may be totaled! It took a lot of damage to the front and, with it being 13 years old, insurance may decide that it is not worth fixing. We came within 1 thousand when my Spousal Unit did the exact same thing a couple years ago. The remainder of the morning was spent with the insurance company, tow truck, and the auto-body shop.
NEXT - we had not driven our "toad" - the CRV - in a few weeks and it would not start ... second time it has done this; so I removed the battery, took it to O'Riley's down the street, and it failed the test resulting in a new battery at an enormous CALifornia cost. In the meantime, the P/U had a flat tire which had a nail in it from the freeway construction trucks (get them a lot out here)
I was never so happy to see the day come to an end!

Doctor's appointment, blood test, yadda, yadda, this morning.
Gotta Run for now!

Murphy is alive and well!

Placed the G-Kids on a flight from LAX-IAD Wednesday night. All the driving to Raging Waters, Sea World, Palomar Observatory, Oceanside Beach, swimming at the Mom's house several times ... has worn out this body, not to mention a couple 200 mile RT's to the airport built in.
Daughter stayed here as she has to go to SFO this Sunday for a weeks work there before returning to Washington.
Yesterday morning she rose early and drove to the next door city North of us for an AA meeting - on the return , stop and go morning commute traffic, she rear ended a "jacked-up" P/U truck. No damage to the truck except a scratch on the bumper, however my car just may be totaled! It took a lot of damage to the front and, with it being 13 years old, insurance may decide that it is not worth fixing. We came within 1 thousand when my Spousal Unit did the exact same thing a couple years ago. The remainder of the morning was spent with the insurance company, tow truck, and the auto-body shop.
NEXT - we had not driven our "toad" - the CRV - in a few weeks and it would not start ... second time it has done this; so I removed the battery, took it to O'Riley's down the street, and it failed the test resulting in a new battery at an enormous CALifornia cost. In the meantime, the P/U had a flat tire which had a nail in it from the freeway construction trucks (get them a lot out here)
I was never so happy to see the day come to an end!

Doctor's appointment, blood test, yadda, yadda, this morning.
Gotta Run for now!

WOW Sherrel quite a day yesterday. Also goes to prove "when it rains, it pours.

Wishing you a better day today!

Dave

Bruette- I can remember guys like Seaver, Carlton, Forsch routinely pitching 1:40-1:50 ballgames. I remember going to one of those games as a kid with my dad. We took PATCO from near our home in South Jersey & switching to the Broad St Subway to the end of the line at Broad & Pattison to go to the ballgame at the Vet. From the time we left home & back, it was maybe 2.5 hours.
One of the reasons I don’t like the use of the DH, is that you take away the strategy of the double switch. 2 years ago, Paul Molitor, then manager of the Twins, got caught up in a snafu while initiating a double switch in LA. The name he gave the hp umpire(who relayed the same to Doc Roberts of the Dodgers) as the substitution was not the guy who he put on the field. He had intended to bring in a utility infielder to play 2nd, but the spot in the lineup where he said the new pitcher was going was the left fielder. After the first pitch was thrown, the Dodgers challenged the difference in the lineup card. The starting 2B had to come back out on the field & the utility infielder had to go play LF.

Hello, everybody .... Thanks for all of the comments about photos I posted .

This is our last night in Maine. Here is a picture of a lighthouse bear where we are staying.

BDD663C4-DF76-4EF6-BDBD-D0397FAA873B.jpeg

Another day of the 90s for us here in West Virginia. Extended forecast puts us in the 90s until Wednesday of next week. I'll leave some more coal train pics for everyone to enjoy. There does seem to be some fanfare for them. I'll share them as I find them. This round it'll be on the B&O side. The B&O trackage in West Virginia has been torn up or abandoned for the most part. There may still be some old B&O trackage still being used though probably not as much as it once was. As for the yard in Bluefield. I can't remember who without really going back and looking. The Bluefield yard is an empty one. It's definitely a far cry from what it was and has been downsized quite a bit from the early days. As we all know. Coal is a dying thing. It's been dying for years. I just wish the miners here in West Virginia could see that. Anyways! Without further ado. Here are my coal train pics for the day.
3875.1054173660.jpg

26655231412_aa7835927b_b.jpg

We took PATCO from near our home in South Jersey & switching to the Broad St Subway to the end of the line at Broad & Pattison to go to the ballgame at the Vet. From the time we left home & back, it was maybe 2.5 hours.

Mike: Never saw a baseball game at the Vet, last one was around 1966 at Connie Mack (Shibe Park) @ 21st and Lehigh. Did see numerous Eagles games at the Vet though, in fact I had midfield 600 level seats for several years in the '80s - until relocating to Baltimore. For that matter, I haven't seen a MLB game since I took my oldest boy to Memorial Statium to see the Birds play Toronto and Cleveland in 1985 (I think). In 2005, I went to several Senators Thursday Matinee games while on layover in Harrisburg. Actually watched some nationals Stars at that (AA), stage of their development.

The DH has been around for a very long time now, so I'm surprised that there is still discussion about retaining it. Personally, I used to like it, but now that I watch more NL games, I'm inclined to want it dropped. At the very least, the rule DH or no DH should be the same in both leagues.

Justin: Thanks for posting the photos. I especially like the B&O. Garry: the lighthouse photo just screams Maine.

Sherrel: These days do happen, but not frequently. Hope the rest of your week is better.

Today was a nice day, never went above 85. The one short trip to target, stop at the MIL's and stop at ShopRite, took all of maybe 90 minutes, but I was exhausted. No further work on the Railroad today.

Boris

Sherrell - WOW, guess that really was a long day! At least your daughter wasn't hurt. Hopefully the transportation issue will be resolved quickly.

The last 24 hours weren't very kind to me either. My daughter got a nasty GI bug during a trip to Tennessee, and I got it later from handling some of her eating utensils [before I realized she was sick]. Luckily I had a ready supply of Pepto-Bismol handy to deal with it before it had a chance to get really bad; but I still had to follow the so-called BRAT diet [Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast]. Didn't have any of the first three food types in the house, so all I ate today was Sun Chips and Gatorade. As a result of the malnutrition, I couldn't even read my 1968-vintage TRAINS magazines without getting a headache. Finally at 7pm I got a steak-n-cheese from Subway and now I feel almost normal again.

Hope the rest of you are doing ok!

Here is the local that services the lumber mill on the south side of Livingston. Just pulled into the yard when I arrived.

View attachment 38385

MRL keeps their locos too clean, don't they. There was some speculation/rumors a short time ago, on a MRL FB page that the Livingston mill of RY Timber was closing down, because the yard was being cleared of loads. Hopefully this photo disproves that.

Willie, I don't know how to best describe the debates, I have avoided watching them for the most part. The candidate I like has plenty of track record in his many years of experience, I don't need to hear any more. In the past I would have watched each debates, but this year all that matters to me is fielding a candidate that can win the general election.
I also like the BBC, but I failed to mention them.

David, don't worry, I know you are not a big sports fan, nothing wrong with that. I don't comment much on model railroading for the same reason you avoid sports.

Bruette- I can remember guys like Seaver, Carlton, Forsch routinely pitching 1:40-1:50 ballgames. I remember going to one of those games as a kid with my dad. We took PATCO from near our home in South Jersey & switching to the Broad St Subway to the end of the line at Broad & Pattison to go to the ballgame at the Vet. From the time we left home & back, it was maybe 2.5 hours.
One of the reasons I don’t like the use of the DH, is that you take away the strategy of the double switch. 2 years ago, Paul Molitor, then manager of the Twins, got caught up in a snafu while initiating a double switch in LA. The name he gave the hp umpire(who relayed the same to Doc Roberts of the Dodgers) as the substitution was not the guy who he put on the field. He had intended to bring in a utility infielder to play 2nd, but the spot in the lineup where he said the new pitcher was going was the left fielder. After the first pitch was thrown, the Dodgers challenged the difference in the lineup card. The starting 2B had to come back out on the field & the utility infielder had to go play LF.

Opps! :) we all make mistakes, but the rules are the rules! Maybe Molitor spent too much time in the American league?

I liked the DH rule at first. I'm sure you remember scoring runs was not so easy in the late 60s and early 70s. I wish they would have announced they were going to use the DH rule sooner. Earl Weaver said "we would have never traded Frank (Robinson) if we had known the DH was coming". It was good to see Hank Arron with the Brewers, Tommy Davis with the Orioles and others, but there are not many players like that anymore. Not to mention American league teams now routinely score 5+ runs. The DH has outlived it's purpose.

I remember working at Memorial stadium, we never talked about pitchers that worked fast, it was normal. Working fast was what most good pitchers did. When Dennis Martinez came up from the minors we all talked about how slow he worked! That reminds me of one of Mike Hargrove's nick names "the human rain delay" he would step of the box, fix his batting gloves, take a few practice swings with every pitch, then take "forever" to get back in the box. Now it seems like every player does that!

Good morning Everybody!

I wanted to come back yesterday, but life happens. My daughter's new car was hit at a traffic light. No injuries and not much damage, but she still wanted daddy to come to the scene. The good news is the guy that hit her accepted full responsibility and has insurance to boot!

Now my little princess is very upset "I'm done with accidents!" she said :) I did not think it was a good time to tell her otherwise. I suppose my kids are spoiled and I accept responsibility for that. We can take care of almost everything when they are young and make problems go away. The trouble is; as they grow up and I can't make every problem go away any more.

Good morning. It's cloudy and 70.
I'm going to deal with a locomotive that is surging while running. I'll need to see if the issue is mechanical or electronic.

Hello, everybody .... Thanks for all of the comments about photos I posted .

This is our last night in Maine. Here is a picture of a lighthouse bear where we are staying.

View attachment 38398
Garry, thank you for sharing all the pictures, I have greatly enjoyed them!

This last one is very pretty I know MT Washington has the worlds worst weather, but I would not want to be at this lighthouse when a Nor'easter comes! I wonder how long that house has been standing?

Thanks again!

Good morning, 70 and partly cloudy.

Super humid, though; had the windows open all night but probably run the air today.

WE are moving about a mile from where we are now "temporarily" residing to a new temporary residence. There was standing water in the basement for the last 3 months and my wife has an ongoing allergic reaction to the mold, the doctor told us to move. Our new lease begins Sep 5 however we pay rent here until Oct 31, so have plenty of time to move.

The new digs is only about .5 mile from the rail yard!

Rent is much higher but the place is very nice, nearly new, won't be any mold. Looks like one more year in the city hopefully start building next spring:)

Louis: I enjoy the train photos, think the arch is St. Loius. They built it in the early to mid 60's, I remember reading about it in elementary school in the Weekly Reader

Chet and Toot: The lumber mills can come and go fast, sometimes close down for a few months or years then reopen.
Back in the early '80s they closed Boise Cascade in International falls so the city could become depressed and then they qualified for lots of cheap money, rebuilt, and went back into production. Took the town much longer to recover, however

Ken-- never heard of the BRAT diet. Interesting. Might not work for me since applesauce gives me the runs.

I will be working on the water tank some more this afternoon (right now am at work, waiting for trucks on a paving job). I ordered a couple Tomar switch stands (even at $10 a piece I still want them on the module) last week and have another building to construct in preparation for the Aug 23 train show.

more later, Dave

Good Morning All. 76° and overcast. My weather rock is wet, as is the back porch. A light shower passed by between 0500 and 0530. Didn't do much good as it hasn't rained since mid-June as I recall. I will go out in a few minutes and light the trash in the burn barrel. On the bright side though, we haven't had a triple digit high temperature yet this summer, which is unusual.
How about sausage patties and an English Muffin this morning Flo.
Wife's first clinical physical therapy session went well yesterday, she emerged with no additional pain. She is also beginning to wean herself from the ice water circulatory thingie. Despite no rain, I still had to do some mowing yesterday, maybe 1.5 acres total. I'll take a break today and tomorrow and maybe get some more done Monday. Having to schedule household/yard duties around the therapy schedule, which is all over the clock! Still picking lots of tomatoes from the garden, irrigated of course.

Thanks for all of the likes and comments yesterday regarding the sign install; Chet, Dave, Patrick, Phil, Jerome, Garry, Ken, Louis.

Still managed to spend a little time in the train shed yesterday. Tidied things up a bit. Decided to hold off on painting the fascia for now, and do some more scenery. I haven't decided which of two areas to tackle first. The leader right now is across the tracks from the Ironworks (pictured on the right) and other buildings, if I get it first then I can do the ground foam and other ground cover on both sides of the tracks at the same time.
08-03-19 001.001.JPG

The other area that I am interested in finishing up is a propane distributor in a corner on the upper deck. I have been avoiding it for some time now because it is harder to get to. But it has to be done eventually. I do switch it already even though it isn't done yet. It is a Walther's Central Gas & Supply kit with their add-on extra tanks kit. I need to do it soon before I forget where all of the piping that goes with it is at.
08-03-19 002.JPG

Everything in front is removable except the fencing which I will probably crush at some point!

Chet - Why does it seem that we are much busier after retirement than before?
Sherrel - Not a good day when all three vehicles go down at the same time.
Garry - Very picturesque lodgings there in Maine. Have a very safe trip home.
Justin - Nice picture of that GP30.
Ken - Get well soon.
Louis -
Willie, I don't know how to best describe the debates,
How about cannibalistic?
Ray - Half Macca is a good description. I believe that it is the Gateway Arch in St Louis MO.

Everybody have a great day and a wonderful weekend. Wow! What a peal of thunder just now outside!

Good morning. 78* , clear and sunny , humid and not a breath of air. Didn't see a leaf move.
More rain due in p.m. probably have a t/s or two with it. Flooding in many areas yesterday.
GARRY- Thanks for all the pix's. Glad you having a good trip
Thanks of course to all others who share their photos.
Prayers for all of us,
Phil

BEER: HELPING UGLY PEOPLE HAVE SEX SINCE 3000 B.C. W.C.FIELDS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back