Running Bear's April 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
FB_IMG_1554335150959.jpg
FB_IMG_1554334915109.jpg
FB_IMG_1553293664404.jpg

It took me a while to figure out the best way to utilize the 2D background structures. Most work best when I scale them down a bit.

Willie: So what do you use as a backing, foam board? On my old layout, I glued some of the edited 2D backgrounds directly to the back drop, while others were glued to foam board and attached to the back drop with double faced tape. In some cases it worked, in other cases it didn't. I haven't got that far on the current build.

This is a background model of Commercial Dye and Ink, built with DPM module sections, with window dressings from City Classics and using black Gatorboard backing. Included is a railroad door designed to sit over a dead end track. It's what I term a foreground background building, with photo background structures glued to the back drop, behind it for an illusion of depth. What's holding me up right now, is the background photo.
Commercial Dye Co. 4-28-2018.jpg

Chet: Very nice scenes. Happy to here your right arm is getting exercise. How's the PT going?

Greg: Again, very nice industrial area.

Beady: You are a piece of work ;) .

Back to work!

Boris

Evening All,

Went to the train show and for a couple of hours at the club. The pickings were slim for the trucks and autos I was looking for (there was a huge amount of N scale). I found a Purina semi with a covered trailer for the feed store, a box truck for the printing business, and 1 auto. I actually got everything for around 50% of retail. I just wish there was more selection available.

Dave- Thank you.

Chet- Thank you. Those are great scenes you posted. The trestle is part of a local Oil/Gas/Coal distributor that is placed in the bottom of the walk in "U" on a siding.

Greg- Nice photo and layout scene.

Beady- Interesting. What's the story behind the flying loco?

I hope everyone has a good night.

Evening fellers. Managed to get down to the train room today. Of course I had to clean my GP35 wheels beforehand. Wanted to do up a lube service for it while I was at it but couldn't find my lubricant anywhere! Oh well I'll get it done when I find it again. Cleaned the wheels on my GP40 as well. However it has more wrong with it than just needing the wheels cleaned. It is really sluggish and lunges in any direction. Almost like one set of wheels is just dragging. I figure it has a bad driveshaft in it. Just don't feel like taking the shell off at the moment. If the shell gets removed I may as well replace the rear lights on it as well as they have long since been burned out. Anyways that's all I have for now.

Good evening, tons of activity today, I see. I had to work, we were in a steel mill today, testing the concrete in one of the furnaces where an upgrade was planned.

managed to snap a photo, it is a little blurry but you may get the point, stuff in there was really beat up.

IMG_0446.jpg

I have to say this job of mine is usually very interesting. We visit lots of different sites and run tests on the materials, sometimes bring samples back to the lab and run the tests there.

Mark-- good luck on the new cabinets!

more tomorrow, Dave

Willie when using the Woodland scenics you have to do it in layers to get the effect your looking for.This ditch (16' long) is about 7 layers.
Tom - Thank you for your input. I know that well from experience. The pictures I've been posting are only progress photos, I estimate 2-3 more weeks before I am finished with that area. The field grass (weeds) take me a long time, because like the photo that you posted, my locale has lots of it along the right of way and beyond. I am just about through layering the ground foam, two different blends and three additional colors for highlights. Still adding the coarse foam and weeds...then it's on to the scrubby trees and finally the full sized ones. Track bumpers can be time-consuming as they are mostly very overgrown. Oh! And then people, animals and vehicles!:) Along the way with this section, I am also making slight upgrades to the four industries as I go, adding safety signs, weathering etc. Only one of the four currently has lights, I intend to add them to the Acme Chemical Warehouse as well.

Howdy.

Just returned from a long day in Nashville. Shelley’s Mom is about the same as last time. We are still hoping she will improve so she can move into assisted living. We visited with other family members in Nashville too.

I’ll catch up on your posts when I can.

Willie,

Mark -

NP2626 said:
I guess we no longer eat here in the in the Club Car/Dinner.

?????

Very few talk about what they'd like for breakfast here in the Mornings; so, I've taken this as a lack of interest. It's nothing of significance.

Between going to a Funeral and running up to Menards in Bemidji yesterday to pick-up the new counter top, I didn't get much done. Today I will focus on removing more of the old cabinets. This all started because a month; or, so ago, our Built in Microwave which has lasted for 35 years died. Allowing a product to last for 35 years is a mistake on the manufacturer's part, now-a-days! Anyway, when it died the wife said "O.K. now we're getting new cabinets!" I guess she'd been planning this for some time! She had a very nice set of cabinets and a lot of them. However the new ones have a bunch of slide out drawers and things much more convenient for us soon to be 70 year olds.

Oh, sorry, the weather, right? The high today might be 54 with rain today and tomorrow. No snow in the forcast!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning....Checked out a new place in town yesterday,a coffee roastery.They have coffee beans from different countries,roast and blend them.Whole bean or they can grind them,they can add a flavor to it if you like.

Sorry didn't know I was getting graded on grammar. I'll try to remember that if I ever post here again. Then you wonder why this forum has a lack of members and post. Keep up the good work you'll only have yourself to talk to soon.

Good Morning All. 59° and foggy, we're under a dense fog advisory right now. When I stand on the porch, I can hear the vehicles passing by on the road 150' away, but cannot see either them or their headlights. Thundershowers yesterday didn't amount to much, .2" in the gauge. Started a lot sooner than predicted so I didn't get a chance to do the planned gardening. Ended up doing too many household tasks instead.:mad: First day off for my wife since last Sunday, so we're doing the grocery/beer trek today after church. Between the two, that will kill half the day, It's an 83 mile/3.5 hour trip to do both in the same run! Hopefully the fog will lift before we have to leave; there's a low area that can be real tricky during the fog about 3 miles north from here.

Thanks to all for the comments and likes for yesterday's post, Chet, Joe, Jim, Phil, Tom, Dave.

I mostly ran trains yesterday and did very little scenery work on the layout. I did however prime the three structures that are part of the Oakleaf Industries kit that I am starting.
04-06-19 001.JPG

This shows a good view of the interior bracing that I use on these laser-cut wood kits.

Chet - I like all of your mini-scenes. I incorporate a lot of them myself, George Selios is my inspiration. Yes I have a lot to photograph, but much of it is still non-photogenic with plywood colored ground, unpainted track etc.
Joe -
Willie: So what do you use as a backing, foam board?
First of all, I print those background structures on 65# paper which is quite heavy, and then I use double-sided tape to hold them in position. I also spray them with Dull Coat first to reduce any issues with fading. Haven't tried foam board yet although I have thought about it. I have several structures like the one that you posted already in other areas. Some have active loading/unloading tracks serving them.

A life lesson; my mother always told me that if you didn't have anything nice to say about someone, don't say anything at all.
Everyone have a great day.

Sorry didn't know I was getting graded on grammar. I'll try to remember that if I ever post here again. Then you wonder why this forum has a lack of members and post. Keep up the good work you'll only have yourself to talk to soon.
Tom, most of us don't care about your grammar, as long as we can figure out what you're trying to say. For the Grammar Police, you can click on the user's name, follow the prompts, and "ignore member". I've found that to be very useful.

Tom: Pay them no mind...they mean nothing, they are nothing. Heck my signature has offended folks, and my grammar is deliberately atrocious at times, but who cares? Life's too short to worry about grammar...

Boris

Good morning, glad I checked in last night because it was way easier this morning.

Willie-- your bracing technique is a great idea. I use JB weld epoxy on everything I put together with the resin products to accomplish the same end.
Ch

Mark
-- it sounds like your wife is a lot like mine.

Chet, the hobo and the back porch photo scenes are very well done!

I will be ordering a caboose kit for my window display. For the NP caboose I am aware of two quality kits, both around $45, that will fit my era. Pretty much wrapping up my locomotive project, getting the last light of dullcote then it is going on the display.

Photo of the day, a couple of GP's:

_MG_5606.jpg

The dead tree just behind 1774 is part of a root of a shrub dried and turned upside down. The little railing is as per OSHA

The grizzly is in this one too

Dave

Attachments

• _MG_5606.jpg
    _MG_5606.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 120
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back