Running Bear's April 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Supposed to get up to +39 degrees today with periods of Rain and Snow; but, with no accumulation. It is spring after all.

Flo I'll have Biscuits and Gravy this morning and keep the Coffee flowing.

Greetings from the Garden State. 28° and sunny, (so far). So, where is everyone this morning?

Tom: Those were good bargains from the show.

Boris

Good morning all, 30 and sunny. Looking forward to some warming this week.

I am hungry for waffles today, will take 2 and a couple eggs.

Got some more work done on the 4-4-0 last night, also assembling another Roundhouse box car. This one they included what looks like staples for the ladders. Curious how that is going to turn out. They must have evolved their cars over time, 3 of the ones I purchased recently have many similarities but also differences. Too bad they didn't date their boxes.

Layout shot of the day, my 0-6-0 pulling a gondola. I don't remember taking this one at all.
clear creek 013.JPG

more later, Dave

Good Morning World. 38° and quite clear. Most likely that it will be the last time we see temperatures below 50° until November rolls around. Next ten days we range from 53° to 83°. Hopefully last nights fire in the heater is the last one of the season. Per the Weather Underground, we have winds from the south with gusts of 1 mph. Wind chimes are silent this morning in my yard. While the calendar shows spring and Mark posts that it is spring, it's really not spring here until the local snakes emerge from their winter quarters, usually when temperatures consistently stay above 65°.
Had to change a drive belt on the mower deck yesterday after shredding the old one last week. Then I spent over two hours catching up, a task not yet complete. I need to install three new blades, but I cannot remember where I stored them. Either that or Murphy came by and moved them. Best way to find them is to order a new set and they will show up as UPS pulls into the driveway. Another task yesterday was to trim trees on the other side (south) of our road. Many branches have reached all the way to the road now. Besides making it impossible for either me or a neighbor to mow along that side, they now hit (and scratch) the side of cars passing by. The landowner leases it to a farmer who doesn't care and the county doesn't maintain it either, not a county road. 40' done with another 80' to go, some of which will require the chainsaw.

Thanks to all for the comments and likes regarding the fire department yesterday, Chet, Joe, Sherrel, Dave, Phil, Mark, Johnny, Garry, Tom,
I must give some credit to Walther's for the kit to begin with. Nice kit with the usual vague and crappy instructions.
Today, a sort of in progress shot of the area that I am currently scenicking with SD40-2 #5164 barrelling down the main. Note that it has been recently shopped to move the headlamp from above the windshield to the nose. This was done at the request of ATSF engineers who pointed out the glare into the cab would be reduced.
04-02-19 010.JPG

Scene is not yet complete, field grass and weeds are next followed by scrub trees.

Slow short day in the train shed yesterday. Just a bit of ground cover. Cut short by going out to supper to celebrate my wife's getting two $100 tips in the same day!:)

Joe - I'm over here, just a bit long-winded this morning.
The Fallout shelter sign and the Civil Defense Logo give depth to the scene.
It's details like that which I like to add that to me at least, really makes scenes more like scenes than like models. Those folks inside are actually sitting at desks which cannot be seen
Chet - I have a large expanse of space within a 62" single track turnback loop at the end of a peninsula on the lower level, so large structures fit well in it. On the upper level, I have a partially completed industrial switching district. While I don't do passenger trains, I like your station except that it is just too clean. I know that I have kidded you about that before, but just maybe a bit of rust on the drainpipes. ;)
Justin - Great to read the good news regarding your daughter's recovery.
Dana - Nice to see you in the Coffee Shop. Congratulations to your grandson. Makes the whole family proud.
Tom - Looks like you scored big at the train show.

Outta here. Everybody have a great day.

Good morning. 28 degrees with clear skies. We have been getting into the upper 40's and the glaciers are slowly receding, but it will take a while for the snow back by the pine trees to melt down as they are shaded by the trees.

thumbnail_20190402_072741.jpg

Beady
- I completely have to agree with you about the recovery on a rotator cuff surgery. I also had mine done orthoscopically. It was a battle every night having to wear the sling while sleeping. I didn't get much sleep, and neither did my wife. I was told that the recovery on the reverse shoulder replacement should be a bit easier. No sling at night. The reason for the reverse shoulder replacement was because the rotator cuff tendon for the most part was trashed and could not be used. For now I find that trying to get into a comfortable position to sleep is the biggest challenge, but it is getting better. Look, No more staples. The doctor said that I could use the arm and not to wear the sling unless I want to for comfort while away from home. She said that I would know the limitations. She was right. It is still slightly tender but not a problem. Good luck. Make sure that the wife keeps up with the refills.

thumbnail_20190402_061858.jpg

Mike
- Nice shot of the BNSF units. They aren't common there. We see them all of the time needless to say. Took this shot last summer when leaving the model railroad club in Livingston, MT. A westbound waiting to head out over Bozeman Pass. Saw an eastbound descending into the yard as I was heading over the pass.

thumbnail_20180726_154758.jpg

Justin
- Enjoy those photos. Don't get to see coal mines like that out here as most of the coal is stripped mined out here.

Curt
- Having your wife being able to retrieve your photos is great news. I keep mine on an external hard drive.

Dana
- Congrats for your sons graduation. I'm sure you're proud. You should be.

Tom - Great deal on the freight cars. Like the B&O box car.

Dave
- Like the little steamer. I can remember a few photos of it you posted from your old layout. I had thought about getting something like that, but for me, steam is on it's way out and I have enough diesel switchers.

Willie
- Another nice photo. I wish I had more room on my layout for structures, but no more 1/87 real estate left.

Here's my layout photo for today. A few box cars at the Logan Freight station.

thumbnail_20190329_083335.jpg

Time to head down to the train room.

Later

Hiya gang!

Yes, I'm still around, just been busier than a one legged man in a butt kicking contest! So busy I am going to have to skip the Timonium show this weekend, but I will be attending the NMRA South Mountain Division Mini-Con on the 13.

Willie, Chet,Dave, and any others I may have missed, Just a quick scan showed many nice Pics, I wish I had time to comment on each one, but I am having trouble believing that Willie had nothing to do with that one wreck pic! ;)

I did run into a woman in WalMart the other day with March Madness teeth............she was down to the final 4! :D

Sorry I cant share any rotator cuff stories or pics, but I do have some interesting X rays that show all the plates and screws in my neck! I have more screws in my neck than Frankenstein!

Good morning everyone. 43 and sunny. Got down to 32 last night. I'm officially naming this "The winter that wouldn't end. :confused:

Garry, Chet, and anyone else I missed - thanks for the comments on my photo yesterday.
Beady - sorry to hear about some upcoming surgery
Chet - Hope all goes well as you begin PT
Willie - that section of your layout is looking good
Tom - nice haul from the train show. I love going to train shows - always lots of good bargains.

Nothing to report from the train room. Was feeling cruddy last night, so just rested and read a book. Feeling fine this morning, at work.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Day, ALL!
Supposed to be a high of 63 today after the low 80's over the weekend.
Weather guessers say that it will be in the 60's until next Monday when it goes back into the 80's again.
A real YO-YO time - it seems?

Took me over an hour to read all the posts and look at the photos - all great.
Good news CHET, JUSTIN, CURT, DANA, and anyone else I may have overlooked?
NOT so good there, BEADY!

Willie - Are those limbs going to drag on my RV?

Good Morning Everyone...sort of sunny here in Wisconsin.

Just finished my taxes and Chet, I could use some of that liquid medications in your photograph. "I owe, I owe, Its back to work I go"!

Never expected the amount that I underpaid the Feds.

Anyway, lunch and then voting. Maybe some trains later.

Justin: Nice mine photographs. I remember riding our Gold Wing through the coal mine areas and the amount of rail traffic generated by the mines.

Short and sweet for now...

Later.

Greg

###########################

IMG_0294.JPG

Tower in the Omro main line area watching ovr the cross ovr for the reverse loop on the CM&NR. Interior has one LED and the windows have glazing.
An Atlas tower with a few minor changes. -Greg

Last edited:
Just finished my taxes and Chet, I could use some of that liquid medications i your photograph. "I owe, I owe, Its back to work I go"!

Greg

###########################

View attachment 35632

Tower in the Omro main line area watching ovr the cross ovr for the reverse loop on the CM&NR. Interior has one LED and the windows have glazing.
An Atlas tower with a few minor changes. -Greg

Greg. I'm scared to do my taxes this year, been hearing bad things this year about what friends have had to pay. Generally the only things I'm scare of are vampires, mummies and the Holy Ghost.

Hello all,

As I thought in my new member intro, I was a member here when Jeffrey Wimberly was known as Running Bear before he passed on. It's been a couple of years since I was last on, but can't remember my old user name, That's ok, I think I may have been a butt head at the end and promise not to be again.

I am near Wichita, KS where the weather today is supposed to be Sunny and high near 65 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back