Running Bear's March 2019 Coffee Shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Willie: I like your structures. Where do find the figures like the guy at the mailbox?
The guy at the mailbox came in a bag of 120+ figures from China that my son gave me for Christmas. I did a bit of work on him. I used a jeweler's file and razor blade to remove his coat and repainted him with "Americanized" colors. Original figure on the left, my version on the right.
03-07-19 004.001.JPG
03-07-19 006.001.JPG

Unfortunately most of these figures have a crappy paint job, but I don't mind fixing them. I don't look a gift horse in the mouth!

Managed to find both an iPhone 7 plus and an 8 plus speaker from local suppliers (found out the 8 plus is supposed to be 25% louder) to try out on something. Finding the measurements proved to be un-fruitful though. I imagine if the 8+ can be used, it will only be in longer framed locos.

If daylight matters to someone, they should just adjust their schedules accordingly, rather than the rest of us being forced to do so.

There is no real advantage to DST, unless one is in the construction business, or something else that benefits from longer periods of daylight during normal waking hours.

Boris

There is no real advantage to DST, unless one is in the construction business, or something else that benefits from longer periods of daylight during normal waking hours.

Boris
In which case, it should be up to the employer to get his workers to the job at an appropriate time.

Good evening ... ... I also do not like DST. It is dumb and costly for millions of people to change their clocks twice a year.

Dave LASM .... That is a very nice urban scene.

CCoffran .... Good t see you in the Coffee Shop.... The video of the large scale layout is amazing.

Greg ... I have been enjoying your photos with ore cares in them.

Speaking of ore cars, I operate ore trains on my layout. They are pulled by EMD F-units or EMD SD units. The destination is the blast furnace at my steel mill.

Below are pictures of my ore trains and some ore cars at the steel mills.

35542767343_598583d727_b.jpg

36382469620_4ca0e9efe2_b.jpg

35965542773_b79f052b75_k.jpg

35017656313_213e7531cb_b.jpg

Here is a video of a large scale model railroad. There are a lot of nice details.

Hi CCoffran: Thanks for posting that video, it's fantastic. That's the time period I model too so I found the equipment very interesting although it is narrow gauge I believe where most of mine is standard gauge. I'm not sure who's layout that is but it's got lost of details and interesting action. I imagine it's 'On3'. Really great !

About DST, it's assine ! Change the clock 1 hour ahead or 1 hour back, absolutely ridiculous. Move it only 30 minutes, one way or the other and you'd be right all year around !! According to Paul Harvey it was a social experment by two senators(?) to see if they could get the Lemmings, You & Me, to adjust our clocks cause someone in government said we needed too ! Just another manipulation to get people to quit thinking for themselves and be led around by there noses and a ring ! Time to wake-up !! If you want too ?

Good morning Everybody,

Time is still short for me so I have to be brief.

Thank you everybody for your concern and prayers. I'm healing at an accelerated pace, even for me, thank God.

Thanks for all the great pictures as well!

I think daylight savings time is long past it's usefulness. We have electric light, even when we need to work outside. If you ask me it's not worth the trouble it causes for payroll departments and scheduling. We are for the most part a 24 hour society. Like most things, we are slow to make changes.

Have a great day Everybody!

If I'm the Mark referred to above by CambriaArea 51 I live where we enjoy Daylight Savings Time, like everyone else and "Oh for Joy", it starts Saturday night here in Minnesota, which where I live is slated to receive 5-8 inches of snow.!

Good morning gang!

Warmer today , 24°, but there is precip on the horizon. What it's gonna be, who knows.:rolleyes:

Still not getting notifications when folks post to the forum like I used to. I checked the settings last night, and I am still set to receive them. o_O

DST, let's keep it at the summer setting all year.

Garry I didn't know you had a steel mill too!

L8ter gang,, need coffee!

About DST:
I have been suggesting the idea of setting our clocks to midway between DST and Standard time. So, it would be 1/2 hour later than Standard time, and leave them alone all year.

Good morning. Happy Friday. 20° and sunny.

DST: First used year 'round during WW1, Brought back year 'round during the Roosevelt Years, reverted to summer only until the Jimmy Carter era, where it became year 'round to conserve energy. DST was legislated for the entire country with legislated exceptions in 1964,(Uniform Time Act), and finally adopted by the railroad Industry in 1967, (the year I hired). It is favored by environmentalists and lobbied for by resort operators. To a politician, money talks. Like everything else, changing the clocks is an inconvenience, and otherwise meaningless to the individual. They should choose one or the other and keep it there, but then there would be no need for public service announcements, etc. Personally, I don't care one way or the other. I can't do anything about it in any case. I am tired of winter.

Louis: Hope you're feeling better...take care!

Garry: Nice steel mill.

Boris

Good Morning All. 57° and cloudy. Weather-guessers missed on yesterday's high, forecast was 68° but it made it to 72°. OK by me!:cool: More of the same today and tomorrow, then rain and cooler Sunday and Monday. I'm headed for the dentist late this morning for the permanent crown to replace the one that broke recently. Shouldn't take long.
Thanks for the comments and likes for yesterday's photos, Garry, Dave, Chet, Sherrel, Joe, Greg, Tom, David, Curt, and anyone that I may have missed.

DST - I also could care less about it, I just think that we should settle on one or the other and use it year-round. It is random BS that makes no sense. Why does it start two weeks before the Spring Equinox, but end six weeks after the Fall Equinox? Where is the daylight that we are saving? We're certainly not using it to stretch winter days!o_O The energy conservation is bunk from environmentalists and politicians. We use the lights less because the daylight is longer, thanks to Mother Nature! NOT because we changed the damn clocks. Just another way for government to interfere with and control our lives. Rant over.

Out in the train shed yesterday, I didn't do much except run trains. Time was too limited to get too involved with projects. I did install some Atlas picket fencing to separate Bruckner Woodworking from an adjoining home that I decided recently to add to the scene.

Dave - Like downtown Grovemont.
Chet - I'm surprised that adding weight didn't help the SD9. I meant to comment yesterday on your posting regarding Woodland Scenics figures. I also like them and agree that they are a bit pricey. My LHS does price them at 20% off list which helps. They do provide some variety to my over 700 Preiser figures.

Everybody have an awesome Friday.

If I'm the Mark referred to above by CambriaArea 51 I live where we enjoy Daylight Savings Time, like everyone else and "Oh for Joy", it starts Saturday night here in Minnesota, which where I live is slated to receive 5-8 inches of snow.!
Hi Mark,

We are supposed to get a foot! They still haven't made a dent in the other couple feet on the ground and 6' snowbanks at every intersection. It has been soo cold nothing melts, either.

Good morning now that I have caught up with the posts. Thanks for the comments on Grovemont.

Garry--nice photos of your steel mill

Willie-- interesting project with the chinese

Louis-- always good to hear prayers are working

Here is my layout photo of the day, a couple engines getting ready at dawn (my railroad does not work nights):

(my train, my rules!)

contest4.4 002.JPG

I love the backdrop in this photo, at this location it actually goes around a corner (I used hardboard and curved it around a radius)

have a good day all...Dave

Good morning. 27 degrees with snow flurries to start off the day.

Garry - Those are some really nice photos. Love seeing your layout.

Willie - I have also repainted some of the Chineese figures. A little bit of work on them helps. I did change where the weights were in the SD-9 shell. I too a half ounce from the very rear and crammed them into the inside of the short hood. I did gain one, possible two more cars on the grade. Reminds me of trying to balance steam locomotives to improve traction.

Dave - Nice photo of the NP geep.

Mentioning figures. I did add some more and will bore you with the photos.

Here are some kids playing ball in their back yard. I do have a laser cut kit for a garage where the car is parked. It is sitting on my "round tuit" shelf.

thumbnail_20190307_104216.jpg

Looking down main street.

thumbnail_20190307_104156.jpg

A closer photo of the ladies getting ready to walk to town. You can see the kid watering the plants on the porch and behind the woman going down the stairs is an old codger sitting in a rocking chair.

thumbnail_20190307_104416.jpg

Added a few figures on the side street.

thumbnail_20190307_104249.jpg

Added a few figures carrying luggage on their way to the station.

thumbnail_20190307_104324.jpg

Here passengers are waiting to board a train.

20181024_142247.jpg

A couple of shots looking down Main Street.

thumbnail_20190307_104853.jpg

thumbnail_20190307_104756.jpg

thumbnail_20190307_134930.jpg

Added a few more by the freight station.

thumbnail_20190307_104546.jpg

Can only post 10 photos in a post so I'll add a few more in the next post.

Here are a few more photos. At the other end of town a couple of folks are sitting on the park bench.

thumbnail_20190307_104647.jpg

Some more passengers were added to the station platforms. In the second shot, I had no passengers at all.

thumbnail_20190307_133334.jpg

thumbnail_20190307_133301.jpg

thumbnail_20190308_095057.jpg

thumbnail_20190308_092507.jpg

thumbnail_20190308_091320.jpg

Here's a rail photo for today.

train-tracks1.jpg

I have run out of fully painted figures but have a lot of unpainted or partially painted ones in a parts bin. Time to head down to the train room.

Later.

Last edited:
Good morning everyone. 37 and cloudy. Tomorrow is reserved for a major storm to blow through - high winds, heavy rain for a while. Always on weekends!!

Willie, Dave, and Chet - you guys have been posting some great photos of your layouts. Very inspiring. Lots of detail. They really help me see what things to focus on.

As promised, here are some photos of the logging camp area I have been working on.
LoggingCamp#1_3_19.jpgLoggingCamp#1-3_19.jpgLoggingCamp#2_3_19.jpg

Lots of work yet to do, but it's a start - - I need a mess hall and bunkhouse for the loggers. I also need a gravel road in/out. I need to add some grassy areas so it's not all dirt, and I need to cut the limbs off a couple of trees to create piles. I also don't have a crane in place yet to lift the logs onto the log cars. I am working on a wooden retaining wall between the mainline and the edge of the camp. I think the first photo is a little out of focus - I'll re-shoot over the weekend and post again.

Have a good day everyone.

Here are a few more photos. At the other end of town a couple of folks are sitting on the park bench.

View attachment 34995

Some more passengers were added to the station platforms. In the second shot, I had no passengers at all.

View attachment 34996

View attachment 34997

Here's a rail photo for today.

View attachment 34998

I have run out of fully painted figures but have a lot of unpainted or partially painted ones in a parts bin. Time to head down to the train room.

Later.
I hate you. I hate you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back