Running Bear's Coffee Shop September 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey gang,
The great dog name debate continues on. Last nigh for about 2 hours (it felt like 6) we got to hear from GF, Her Son, her daughter, her daughters kids and husband on what the dogs name should be. Someone floated the name Axel, her daughter threw a hissyfit because it sounds like A$$hol when you yell it, like when you are calling the dog. But then she turned around and floated the name Tucker out for consideration and wondered why I hit the floor laughing. Before I could respond about what that sounded like GF's 4 year old grandson said "Tucker poops in his pants" . It was that kind of evening.

Terry, Sharp looking locos. I can't believe that management made a mistake like that!!

Good Morning All. 66° and cloudy right now. It hasn't been this cool since March! Looks like the meager rainfall has stopped. The on-again, off-again sprinkles (never really made it to the drizzle stage) left .25" in the rain gauge in five days. Still don't expect to see the sun until Tuesday, yuck! The cool night with the windows opened was spoiled around 4:00 this morning when a nearby skunk announced it's presence. Thankfully I was already up and closed them all before it permeated the house too much. It was probably about 250 yards away by my estimation.
Today is our 46th wedding anniversary. My dad told me that it wouldn't last over three years, but he lived to see us celebrate 33 years. We'll go out to eat at some fancy place tonight. Definitely not the local BBQ place unfortunately.
Out in the train shed yesterday, I started with the ground foam ground cover in my latest project area. I also worked some more on two other projects. I have nearly completed that P2K PS2/4427 covered hopper kit that I renewed efforts on. I fixed the duplicate number, carefully sculpting a Roman font #9 into a Gothic font #9. I had run out of Gothic 1/8" dry transfers but I have many others. It's a pain but I forgot to purchase more the last time I visited the LHS. It's not the best fix, but I will disguise it with weathering before it hits the rails. My other project is the rehabbed "Gemini Building" that I posted about recently. The original signage had faded and I located another one of the Walther's decal sheets that I could use. First one went OK, but the next two disintegrated. My solution is that I am going to scan and make paper copies of the needed decals to glue on the signs. Not too high tech, but it should work. Since I was set up for decals, I added graffiti decals to an Accurail ACF covered hopper kit as well. I am not a fan of graffiti in real life, but it is a reality in my era, so I do a few cars randomly. It is now on the RIP track waiting for me to clear other stuff off the workbench and bring out the weathering powders.

Sherrel - Did the HOA pay for breakfast? Another freebie?
David - Good to hear from you again. I always enjoyed your thoughtful insight on things.
Louis - Regarding the trivia for morning radio; that would mean getting back on a schedule which I gave up when I retired.:cool: Instead, I have done 2300 or so Wikipedia contributions. It occupies time wen I'm not gardening, mowing or modeling. Rock & Roll history is something that I enjoy since I cannot play any instrument at all, not even "air guitar".
Terry - Thoughts and prayers from me continue for your wife and you.

Today marks another inauspicious anniversary. It was six months ago today when Doyle posted us a message that his big brother Eric, (Big E) had passed away overnight. May he rest in peace. I sincerely miss him here as well as our phone conversations.

Everybody have a great day. It is National Grandparent's Day; remember them or celebrate with your grandkids.

Willie: Thanks, I appreciate your saying so. I don't know that I offer any more than anyone else, we all have a fair amount of information to share.

Karl .. my wife sometimes tell me of her childhood dog named “Nothing”. She said she thought it was embarrassing to shout the dog’s name when calling for him to come home.

I'm back! :)
1537055176860.png

This afternoon, was sunny, with a cloudless blue sky. Seems like the first time since the Labor Day weekend that we had some decent weather.
With my son's help, I finished weeding and mulching the side yard. Having my son here to help was great, he did most of the work, and it went much faster. One solid benefit from TS Florence., as he heeded the evacuation order.

His home apparently fared well, it pays to locate on the high ground.

This past Thursday was the 47th anniversary of the Eyre Park Flood in Chester PA. One firefighter and eleven civilians perished. This was no major named storm, just an extended slow moving rain storm, that caused vast amounts of damage in a concentrated area. No warning, minimal news coverage until after the fact, and ....a Federal investiation.

Boris

Good morning.... Preyers for those affected by the storm.

Louis .... Love the bus photos ... I was a bus driver while attending college..... I recall being a full time bus driver and a full time student at the same time. ... The bus dispatcher gladly fit my bus driving schedule in with my class schedule. .... All I had then was very long days of work and study....

Here is the "City of Memphis" near Jacksonville, TN.

44639129021_eeae4d57bc_b.jpg
I loved the bus as a kid. I rode as many as two a day, each way to school and God knows where else. Once I got my drivers license, I don't think I've been on a bus a dozen times.

Bus drivers were great! I can't remember how old I was, but I would ask for help knowing when to get off to transfer busses or complete my trip. The bus driver never let me down, even if I fell asleep!

I'm glad you like the bus pictures.

JOE - Glad your son is with you - and safe! Fortunately, my SIL, daughter, two kids, and two dogs have his parents in Greer, SC, where they are "weathering" out the rain. I do hope that the Marines don't call him back for awhile. I think it will take many days for the water to subside and to get the roads travelable again.

LOUIS .. Great photo of the streetcar! Between the age of 9-16, I rode the trolleys all over Shreveport .. and like you said, the drivers would tell me what lines to transfer too and even what times. I had a blast going to the baseball field and to hobby shops around town. There were no gangs, or drugs, to contend with .. just an occasional drunk!
It was a good time to grow up.

Good evening. It's 73 with multiple flash flood watches, warnings, areal flood warnings, record river flood warnings, gloom, doom, and the fourth horseman of the apocalypse.
I did get decoders in the last two engines, and now I have enough to play trains again.

A few days ago, I mentioned that the home layout track work was on hold until I could build a rustic barn for the club's new On30 logging layout.
Here are a couple pictures of the beginning where I cut the lumber from a cedar plank. There will be a wing on each side.

Hope I get the pictures correct.
On30 barn1.JPGOn30 barn2.JPG

Ahem...
Management of my model railroad got a little carried away with The Great Motive Power Purge of 2018, and I made the unpleasant discovery I hadn't kept enough engines to cover the assignments on my home layout. So, the official story is, they found a trio of lease engines (Rent-A-Wrecks) to cover until permanent additions to the fleet could be acquired. Unofficially, I took advantage of a sale at MB Klein, and picked up three Athearn SD38s to pull my coal train from mine to dump. All three are sound equipped, with functioning ditch lights front and rear. The only thing I might do later is add windshield wipers. Maybe.
Here are roster shots of the three after being checked out, fueled, and placed in service. They are working on a local freight out of Terminal, and will end up at Standard Loadout, (Upper), for return on the coal run to Terminal. Yes, I use the initials for train designations... :)

View attachment 30469View attachment 30470View attachment 30471

Odd that one has gray undercarraige. It looks so much better. One of the things MRL could have done too, but didn't. They used to use a light gray on some of their rolling stock.

Odd that one has gray undercarraige. It looks so much better. One of the things MRL could have done too, but didn't. They used to use a light gray on some of their rolling stock.
It is odd, all three are from the same source. Norfolk Southern,- former Conrail, former Penn Central. Two have air condioners added, one does not.

Good morning. It's still hurricane-ing, and 71. High wind warnings for today, along with all the rest of the warnings still in effect. Later today, river flood warnings begin.

For anybody interested, I have it on good authority today marks another year Sherrel has been on the right side of the dirt.

Good morning Everybody!

I'm on the road again. I worked yesterday and the day before!
I never paid attention to this song, but now I like it, thanks Terry.

I cut the grass Friday. It was so wet it took me 2 1/2 hours to cut my front and back yard. A capable man can do it in under 1 hour. I can do it in an hour and half, on most days. I had to stop several times to clean out the wet grass.

While making a delivery on Saturday I meet a resident cutting his 12"+ grass. He was embarrassed and joked "the grass is almost as tall as me", he was a little guy, almost everybody is a little guy to me. I told him "don't worry, this summer has been crazy! The grass is growing so fast it needs to be cut 2-3 times a week sometimes, but many are lucky to have the time and energy to cut it once!"

Speaking of cutting the grass. My neighbor across the street. He cuts his grass so low you see more dirt than grass when he is done. It's so low the mower keeps stalling from the blade sticking in the ground! WTF!?

Amazon has added another distribution center, DBA2, It's a bit further from me, but I don't mind. I'm so happy driving to work.

Rant, somebody say rant! It's good for the soul, so long as your honest.

Willie,
I'm with you! People need to pay for their own "freight". I understand some can't, but most can and should!

I got a rant of my own; I went to the new Amazon center. I talk to what appears to be a second or third generation immigrant, like me and like he has no discernable accent. He is an Amazon Flex driver, same Amazon operation I contract for.

He starts bitching, "these blocks (routes) are too far away, it's not worth the money" My only reply "if that is how you feel, why are you here?". Mean while, there are 3 immigrants, from some island in the Caribbean, they have accents! :) They are frantically swiping their phones to refresh the Amazon app. When they find a block (route) they immediately take it! Thank God I don't have to swipe for work, I would never be faster than these young men. I get my work... differently. That's about all I can say about that. Non-disclosure clauses a part of many business contracts.

I can talk about the base Amazon Flex deal, it's a good deal! They pay $18 per hour for a block of 1 or more hours. Take a 4 hour block for example 4hours X $18 = $72 per block. Most blocks can be completed in far less than the allotted time. On average it's about 40% of the time allotted. That works out to about $30 per hour, not great, but not bad if you ask me. Once you gain experience, you can take about half the time allotted. When Amazon has high demand from customers they pay "extended rates" the base program pays as much as $50 per hour. For an experienced man that is $100 per hour, to drop off packages.

A well known politicain posted an Amazon Driver crying
"they only give us 2-3 minutes per stop", aw poor baby. They give you 2-3 minutes extra for most stops!

Yesterday I had 39 stops in my 4 hour block. Keep in mind; I have been sick and I am slow to recover. Even working slow I was finished in under 2.5 hours. That's about 2-3 minutes extra for every stop.

Karl,
I was thinking about you. You would have loved the neighborhood I was in, North Ave/Liberty Heights, all along Druid Hill Park. The nicest people you could want to meet. I meet the coolest little boy. He was about 3-4 years old and was telling me the details to his plans. I need hearing aids, I only heard about half. Smart little boy, like my grandsons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back