Running Bear's Coffee Shop August 2018

Good Morning gang!
72° and sunny, gonna be a hot one today, close to 90° with no rain in the forecast. Today would be a good day for them to fix our a/c here. It is weak on my end of the building, yet I can walk down a 30 foot hallway and feel a 15° drop! :eek: The poor girl in the finance office at the far end has to wear sweaters in August!

Good Morning all,

Going to be a scorcher today and tomorrow with highs in the 90s and some killer humidity. Not looking forward to work the next couple of days, but I guess that’s what pays for my train addiction. A necessary evil I suppose!

Have a great day!

Good Morning All. 80° and clear. I got close to two acres mowed yesterday before deciding to give the tractor a rest. A bit over an acre left to hit today or whenever. It looks pretty ragged and there are mounds of clippings everywhere due to the delay in starting to begin with, and I will have to repeat in another day or so with the grass catcher attached to tidy it all up.
Remodeler was back out yesterday afternoon to tie up loose ends, and my wife showed him something else that she wasn't happy with, something that I hadn't seen and she hadn't told me about. Something about texturing being too thin in one place; so he sanded and applied new texturing but will have to return to paint it next week sometime. I paid him anyway. He'll be back as he really wants me to cut off two acres of hayfield on the north end and sell it to him.
Yesterday was an "odds & ends" day in the train shed. Installed a few more ground throws, cleaned up a few freight cars, admired the job I have done with the fascia so far and pulled out a ziplock bag containing the remnants of a ConCor 48' covered hopper that had become a "floor model" about fifteen years ago. I managed to piece together a number of shards of plastic to reassemble the roof with the exception of a minute corner piece. I rebuilt a stirrup with some scrap plastic replacing a missing support and found some matching paint for it. I added two ounces of glued together pennies to bring it up to NMRA recommendations (not sure if it had a weight to begin with, there was none in the bag), added metal wheels (already had Kadee #5's), and it is now back in service. Then I ran some trains for Felix the remodeler to observe.

Curt - Good to read that the trip is going well, even though it isn't going exactly according to the original plan.
Phil - Great to read your posts, too bad about the water leak though. We found one while the wall was removed for remodeling, which explained some previous dampness that we thought was coming from a leaking toilet.
Karl - Those are some really nice pictures that you posted yesterday. We need more of Howard's layout though.
Ray - Looks like MRL left that plastic shell in the oven for too long.
Louis - In their time, Deep Purple was generally the loudest, with Led Zepplin and Blue Cheer occasionally getting close. I have been told though that Motörhead was indeed louder, but I never saw them.
Terry - Thoughts and prayers for your wife and the whole family. I hope that you get a quick resolution. Dialysis and diabetes can both be managed at the same time, I had a lady who worked for me for over fifteen years who dealt with both. Dialysis three times a week, insulin daily.

Everybody have a great day and a wonderful week ahead.

Karl, Willie and Terry,
First, let me say to Terry, how sorry I am to hear of your wife's deteriorating condition, my wife has diabetes too, but nothing to that extent. I hope you can get something done for her, she must be in a lot of distress.

The MRL SD45 I found the pic of had just returned from Progress Rail in 4/2/12 after it's repaint into the latest scheme. The info I have on it doesn't mention any fires or accidents and it's one of the 5 still listed on the roster as of 3/15 this year. Says it's in storage at that time. It may just be an example of what flat sheet steel really looks like, especially painted with gloss, although it sure looks bad.

Good morning fellers. The heat has returned once again. 90s with a feel of closer to 100° for the next three days. Noticed in my previous post that instead of saying left and right I put down left and left....If that's not a dead give away I'm a veteran I don't know what is. May as well be marching. At any rate thanks to everyone for the insight. I'll leave y'all a military fails video. Some of these would or should have involved my job. Recovery operations. Some of us grease monkeys in the army are trained on recovery. My tour in Iraq found me assigned to a wrecker my whole tour.

Good morning everyone. 74 and sunny out there. Very humid weekend just past. Mowed the entire yard (1.3 acres), trimmed, raked, etc. Yard looks nice - all ready for another rainstorm to mess things up :mad:

Granddaughter #2 turned 2 this weekend. Big party! Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but parties these days are real big deals - themed, lots of preparations and details, lots of activity, a whole meal plus cake/cookies/etc. We gave her several stuffed animals, and her first tricycle. Maybe rushing things a bit on the trike. But it was her favorite gift. Can't quite pedal the thing yet but leans forward like a racing biker and pushes along with feet on the floor. Looks like Grampa will have to teach her some trike skills :D

Over the weekend I got started on another structure build. Did the prime painting on a DPM kit I got from Chet. Thank you, Chet - in a few weeks that structure will take its place on the layout. Didn't do much else except run trains for a while.

Looking forward to our local semiannual train show on Sept 22. I'll be looking for some freight cars, automobiles and trucks for the roads, and anything else my layout can't live without!!

Oops - coffee's ready and my favorite hair band power ballad is playing - Whitesnake's Is This Love. Doesn't get better than this. Have a good day everyone.

Good morning. 48 degrees and rain to start off the day. The expected high isn't supposed to get out of the mid 50's. Guess it's a good day to head down to the train room.

Been MIA for a couple of days. We had some out of state friends visit for a couple of days and we did the tourist things, heading to Virginia City, a town which has kept the 1800's feel. Also went to Bannack, MT an old ghost town and the Lewis & Clark caverns. The altitude got yo my flat land visitors. It's about a half mile hike, up hill to the entrance to the caverns at over 8,000 feet. They had to stop every few minutes, gasping for air.

Talking about MIA, where has Ken D&J been. Must be on a road trip.
Shermanhill - I agree with you on the gray primer color for Justins sidewalks. Nice to see a new face visiting the Coffee Shop. Welcome.gif Don't be a stranger.

Karl - Those are some really impressing photos. Keep them coming. He has one outstanding layout.

Toot - Interesting photo. Looks like it was left out ion the rain too long. laugh.gif

Garry - They leave half of the roof off on that build when the club is open to visitors to show the interior details. If I remember, I'll take a picture the next time I go to the club.

Johnny - Glad that you can use the building. I never would have used it. I have more just sitting around that won't be used.

Willie - Nice to get those little projects taken care of. I have a few cars that have lost the knuckle springs on the couplers. I know I have a bunch of replacements somewhere, but can't remember where I put them. I'll probably just replace the entire couplers as I have a few bulk packs of 158's sitting out on the work bench.

Here's my rail picture for today.

29b4ae9f1bfa5e3e949f28c40154c134.jpg

Heading to the train room. Later.

Good morning .

Terry ........ I'm very, very sad to read about your wife's deteriorating condition ..... Prayers for her.

Curt ...... Continued best wishes for safe travels and also continued prayers for your Sister in Law.

Toot..... Evidently, the SD45 has old age wrinkles.

Karl .... Howard Zane's layout is amazing. Thanks for sharing pictures of it.

Chet ... Looking forward to a photo of the building interior.

Last edited:
Terry, I am so very sorry to hear about your wife. I hope and pray for all the best for you both

We're at the hospital now.
The doctor took a brief look at her, and sent us here for her to be admitted.

Good Morning All. 80° and clear. I got close to two acres mowed yesterday before deciding to give the tractor a rest. A bit over an acre left to hit today or whenever. It looks pretty ragged and there are mounds of clippings everywhere due to the delay in starting to begin with, and I will have to repeat in another day or so with the grass catcher attached to tidy it all up.
Remodeler was back out yesterday afternoon to tie up loose ends, and my wife showed him something else that she wasn't happy with, something that I hadn't seen and she hadn't told me about. Something about texturing being too thin in one place; so he sanded and applied new texturing but will have to return to paint it next week sometime. I paid him anyway. He'll be back as he really wants me to cut off two acres of hayfield on the north end and sell it to him.
Yesterday was an "odds & ends" day in the train shed. Installed a few more ground throws, cleaned up a few freight cars, admired the job I have done with the fascia so far and pulled out a ziplock bag containing the remnants of a ConCor 48' covered hopper that had become a "floor model" about fifteen years ago. I managed to piece together a number of shards of plastic to reassemble the roof with the exception of a minute corner piece. I rebuilt a stirrup with some scrap plastic replacing a missing support and found some matching paint for it. I added two ounces of glued together pennies to bring it up to NMRA recommendations (not sure if it had a weight to begin with, there was none in the bag), added metal wheels (already had Kadee #5's), and it is now back in service. Then I ran some trains for Felix the remodeler to observe.
Willie, how long does it take to cut 2 acres? I have a 50'x100' yard I cut with a 19" electric mulching mower. It takes me about an 1 - 1 1/2 hour to cut it. Depending on how many breaks I take. I usually take 5 or more breaks. No beer today, but it sure was hot enough for one!

Nice work with the restoration. That should help bring down the cost per mile, well done!

Louis - In their time, Deep Purple was generally the loudest, with Led Zepplin and Blue Cheer occasionally getting close. I have been told though that Motörhead was indeed louder, but I never saw them.
Thank you Willie, I had read Deep purple was the loudest way back when I use to read music magazines. I stopped reading them when they reviewed a new band that I heard after it made it's first US tour, Motorhead.

I never saw Zeppelin or Blue Cheer. I did see Deep Purple, but not until the "Perfect Strangers" tour. I sat on the floor of then Capital Center, where the Washington Bullets played. Hard to compare 4 years apart and a mid size arena 5000, maybe? To a 17000 seat arena, even more counting the floor seats. I only know enough about acquits to know that is a big difference.

Motorhead opened for the Blizzard of Ozz. The first time I saw them. The magazine reviewer said "Motorhead maybe the worst band ever!". I laughed and threw out the magazine. I can't even remember which magazine it was. There were several back then.

After seeing the show I immediately went out and bought the LP Ace of Spades and the Cassette "No Sleep 'til Hammersmith". I could not find the LP version, anywhere! Fast Eddie Clark is one of my all-time favorite guitar players. Motorhead was never the same without him, but still damn good!

Motorhead opening for the Blizzard of Ozz has to be the greatest show I have ever seen. I've been a Motorhead fan ever since. Randy Rhoads and Ozzy, and other substances, blew my mind. I was 10th row center on the floor of the Towson Center at Towson University in Baltimore County, just few miles north of Baltimore. In 1980.
They played this song even though it had yet to e released.

And of course they played this one, but I have to post this one too, it's a train forum! ;)
I'm almost certain this is the original lineup. Sharon Osbourne is a bitch.

As you know I am not qualified to be a music critic and or music historian. I just like what I like, but I do enjoy having one to yack with and ask questions of, thank you!

I just wanted to hear this one... hey it's from an all-time great LP!

We're at the hospital now.
The doctor took a brief look at her, and sent us here for her to be admitted.
Thank God for good doctors. I've been lucky to find greet doctors by chance in the hospital. As my Mom would say; I pray Saint Anthony helps you find more.

Still processing her into the hospital.
Louis, with the 46" Cub Crappette, it takes a little under an hour to mow our 1 acre yard.

Back