Running Bear's Coffee Shop August 2018

Howdy ...

Willie .... When cutting rails, make sure you have eye protection. I was cutting rail with a Xuron rail cutter. One of its two blades broke and flew the length of the train room. It could damage an eye if it went into one. ..... Dremel tools can also be hazardous to eyes.

Chet .... Interesting photos. ..... Have fun at the club. .....

Louis ... Nice hot dog steamer. ..... I'll have mine with mustard, red;ish, and onion, please.

Good Morning everyone....sunny and less humid here in Wisconsin. Off to the landfill with branches that I cut down this morning. Yard work is never ending.

Willie: I agree with Sherrel that the Dremel tool with a cut off wheel would be the best way to cut the rail. Just wear eye protection of some type.

Ran some trains yesterday and took several pics and a did a few movies. Couldn't upload anything since I can't find my USB cable that fits my camera. I think its up north with the drone tool kit and drone spare parts. Had a derailment with the ore train as I was backing it up. Those short ore cars can run a long time with a wheel off the tracks and then finally derail completely.

Louis: I'll PM you with the smoker info.

That's all for now.

Greg

###############

Louis - Looks like you're "Back in the Saddle Again". Cue up Gene Autry or Aerosmith.

Aerosmith for me please, thank you! One of hundreds of songs on my music player. That reminds me, I need to add more.

Speaking of music players, what do you think of digital music? Personally I love it for the convivence. I plug it in, hit random play and get surprised by what pops up. It's great for when I am working or having parties or when I just want to listen to music. My ears are not what they use to be, I can't hear the difference. Front row for Black Sabbath and or Motorhead one to many times maybe?

Add to that a life spent working on machines with internal combustion engines and or other loud mechanisms. I made a small fortune to pay my medical bills and never had to take a hand out. I can't complain. Just the opposite, I thank God I had the skills.

I still have hundreds of LPs and 3 big stereo systems. Now they collect dust and my speakers have dry rotted.

At home I use Bluetooth speakers, no wires needed!
Here is my newest one. I love it and I got a great deal on it, $169.99. It was an Amazon "Deal of the Day" I stumbled on it by accident, God loves me ;) or as I often say "better to be luck than good" I like to believe God loves me :)
1535105923435.png

"Living like I want to don't come easy, but I'm trying. Sorting out what's true and what are lies, it's wise"

"Shut up, you talk too loud,
You don't fit in with the crowd,
I can't believe you exist,
I've crossed you right off my list,
Too much, too soon,
You're way out of tune,
No Class, No Class"

If you Know me you can easily guess what politician this reminds me of. Even if you don't know me, if you are like 56% of Americans you know who I refer to. How is that for skirting being political? :)

Louis - Like the hot dog steamer. Never got to try that beer though. I was stationed in Maryland briefly for electronics school when I was in the Navy, but never tried that one.

Chet, I love the steamer too.

National Boh is an interesting story. It was at one time the most popular beer in Baltimore. If fell out of favor with my generation, but not me and my old friends. The National Brewing company ran into finical difficulties and sold out to G Heilmann Brewery. They closed the original southeast Baltimore brewery and moved the brewing of National beer to their southwest Baltimore brewery. Sales continued to decline and the brewery closed as well. It was then brewed in Milwaukee and then Houston. I don't know where it is brewed today. Now it has had a resurgence and is the "cool" beer for the millennials bring it back to being one of the best selling beers in Baltimore. It still tastes the same to me as it always has. I think its the best light beer you can buy and is great to quench my thirst on a hot day when I'm working outside at home. Send me your address, I'll be happy to send you a six pack. Is it legal to send beer through the mail?

If I am just relaxing having a beer I prefer National Premium. It's now brewed on the Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake here in Maryland by an independent brewery who acquired the original recipe. That is another interesting story, but I'll leave them to tell you about it if you are interested. http://www.nationalpremiumbeer.com/the-story/

1535109540483.png

Guinness just built a new brewery here in Baltimore County and they are brewing "Guinness Gold" and maybe others. I can't wait to try it. I don't care for their dark beer.
http://www.baltimoresun.com/enterta...e-guinness-brewery-august-20180627-story.html

I love beer and whiskey. It's a good thing I learned about moderation, but I seem to slip a bit on the 4th of July :) oh well it's only once a year and it's my home!

I ordered the Coca-Cola hotdog roller grill yesterday. I'll let you know how good it works when I get it. I have some beef hotdogs ready to go as soon as It arrives!

1535108440511.png

Good morning Everybody!

Another cool morning in southeast Baltimore, but the heat and humidity are forecasted to return Sunday.

I worked for less than 1 hour yesterday and got paid for 3. I love being a contractor for Amazon.

I took it easy the rest of the day so I am going to work another 3 hours today, probably less, but I'll get paid for 3 :)

My wife spoils me and worries about me way too much. When my health problems resurfaced earlier this year she bought for a me a special edition PlayStation 4 and the baseball game MLB the show. Her way of thinking was it might keep me on the couch. Yesterday I received the new Madden football game in the email. Of course she ordered it.

I asked her why a new PlayStation, we already have 2 PlayStation 4 systems, PlayStation 3 and 3 Xbox systems? My grandsons seldom play the PlayStation, they love Xbox. She said she knew I would not put one of the other systems in my train room, the boys play them sometimes. She knew I prefer PlayStation and I would like the special edition. She said now I have no excuses.

I set the new system up in the living room. The new TV for my train room is still in the box. I should call it my box room.

I play with them maybe once a week. That is a pretty expensive cost/hour. I have to admit I enjoy playing the against the youngsters online. I may not have the dexterity in my hands like they do, but I know the game and I win more than I lose!

I had one kid get so made at me, he said "you cheated, you never throw strikes!" my reply "why should I, you swing at everything" I beat him 1-0

Last night I was no so lucky, I lost the football game by 4 points. The kid intercepted my pass on what I was hoping would be a game ending, winning drive. The youngster played a good game. Oh well, you win some you lose some and I had fun :)

Have a great day Everybody!!!

Good Morning all,

Rainy and damp here this morning. Supposed to have rain from now till Sunday. If this happens then I can hopefully paint my background sky. I’ve watched lots of videos on the process it still don’t know if I can pull it off. I have zero artistic talent.

Happy Friday all,

Louis ... Nice hot dog steamer. ..... I'll have mine with mustard, relish, and onion, please.

Holy Mackerel Andy! Forgive me Garry, I missed your post the first time, good thing I had time to come back.

You are more than welcome to come by anytime and have a hotdog or what ever else you want. Id be happy and honored to make you anything and my wife would be as well.

For future reference; is that sweet or dill relish? I have sweet relish, my God mother loves it on her hotdog. I'll be happy to pick up dill relish, I need some anyway. I like dill relish in my chicken salad.

There's Funder and Lighterining outside @ 10:18 tonite. AND rain. Darn, I'll have to cut the grass again.
Went to our local electronics shop for somemore resistors and shrink tubing today. Got 2 packs and 2 long lengths of tubing. Walked out of the shop with them all in my hand to the car, opened the trunk and put them in loose. Walked about 25' inside the shop and 30' in the carpark. As I was about to shut the lid I saw there was only 1 pkt of resistors. Hunted around the trunk floor, nowhere to be seen. Looked around the carpark both under and around my and other cars. Traced my steps back to the counter (I knew I had picked everything up). Also nowhere to be found. I can only assume I dropped the pkt, maybe when opening the shop's door and the wind, which was blowing, had carried it away. Must've taken it a long way, couldn't find it.

Good morning everyone. 67 and cloudy. Heat wave returns this weekend with highs in the mid 90s.

Bruette - speaking of music, I am a big fan of "hair bands" of the 80's-90's - Fire House, Cinderella, Whitesnake, Alias, Journey, Sheriff, Steelheart, Bad English, REO Speedwagon, Foreigner, Tesla - - on and on they go. In my opinion that was the golden age of rock music. I also am heavy into Christian rock groups like Petra, Stryper, Rez Band, White Heart, Allies, etc. Have not gone to that many concerts in my life, but was in a number of groups earlier in my life either as drummer or guitarist/singer, and I think that did as much damage to my hearing as a hundred rock concerts, although my hearing is not bad at all - just ask my wife!!;)

The other day a bunch of us here at work were discussing, of all things, organizational planning. We brought up this video, of an old cartoon called Wallace and Gromit. Some of you may be familiar with this one. Organizations that are going as fast as they can without looking where they're going, right?

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...607988812441325508&selectedIndex=0&ajaxhist=0

I especially love the unending box of track. :D

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. 78° and clear. Clouds rolled in yesterday keeping the temperature well below the forecast high of 100°, maybe we'll get that lucky again today. Otherwise, we're looking at upper 90's to lower 100's for at least the next ten days. Grocery/beer trek went well yesterday, Kroger had the Samuel Adams "Octoberfest" seasonal beer in stock, which is my second favorite beer after Heineken. It's a Märzen style lager traditionally served at Octoberfest. Duh!
Out in the train shed yesterday, I spent time cleaning up the recent construction zone and putting away tools that I will have to search for next time that I need them. Ran a few more freight trains back and forth on both tracks on the newly installed bridge, all without incident. In the process, I found a ground throw at a crossover leading up to the bridge that just barely rubbed the lower sides of well cars passing through that crossover. Clearances are tight there with an industry spur on the other side of the tracks, which precludes moving it over to that side. I will therefore replace it with an "N" scale throw which I have on hand. In reality, my operating scheme normally doesn't require expedited container trains to take a siding, but I will exchange it anyway. I also added some more fascia to the upper level.
I experimented cutting track with the Dremel on some scrap flex track as Sherrel and Greg suggested, but I didn't like the resulting width of the gap. It would probably work and was easy to do, but it looks ugly. I'll experiment with the hacksaw today. There's enough room at each end of the bridge to temporarily screw guide blocks in place if I go that route.
Garry/Greg - After spending most of 43 years in factory management, with several periods as acting Safety Manager, I would be absolutely remiss if I didn't have the proper safety gear on. We had dozens of saws cutting aluminum window parts all day and I certainly saw my share of eye injuries. I have safety glasses all over the place here, and use them anytime that I am using a motor (electric or gas) to cut or grind anything. Weedeater, tractor mower, hand saw, Dremel etc. Well except for the blender in the kitchen!
Louis - I liked the hot dog steamer also. I can't hear you on the music. I'm 40% deaf in both ears as a result of front row seats at too many Deep Purple, ACDC, or any number of other bands. I love the convenience of digital music. I have 75,000 mp3's, approximately 35,000 are on my IPod which I play through a docking station with speakers in the train shed...the ear buds only worsen my condition and the cord gets in the way. Hearing aids were the best purchase that I have made in the last ten years.
Mike - No artistic talent needed for sky, just blue paint. It's the clouds that throw me.:(

Have a great day everyone, Karl says that it's Friday.

Johnny and Willie, I'm short on time so I can't reply in depth as I often do, But I will say this

Hard Rock or no Rock for me, with the exception of a very few other songs like these;

(a long story goes with this one)

I like music that speaks to me. Saying that in I have throw this one in "beat the world"

Now I have to get ready for work or shold I say "a ride on the gravy train"?

Have a great day Everybody!!!

God Bless us Everyone!

Good morning ...

Karl's video of bad track was entertaining.

Louis ... I had many Ball Park franks when I lived in Detroit area. .... I prefer sweet relish.

Willie ... I should have known you already had eye protection.... I hope others also are careful....

Back