Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning, and Merry Christmas.
Among the things exchanged this morning is a BLMA beer car, and a new keyboard cover for my tablet. I got a smart watch for my wife to use, to encourage her to get more exercise.
We also used one of her previous gifts to check my blood pressure. I'll have to verify it, but currently my BP is 150/101... A little high...

Last edited by a moderator:
DRATS!... No snow. Oh well .. That's the usual Christmas weather where it will be 71 today.

Merry Christmas to all ... Spousal Unit cooked a very nice dinner at the MIL's house last evening. We are off to one daughter's home this morning in a couple hours - then to NEWPORT to spend the remainder of the day with daughter and family there.
Won't be home till tomorrow. Probably won't try to use my phone .. don't like trying to type on it!

DID I SAY -- MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL?

Good morning and Merry Christmas to all.
7 degrees with snow flurries. We do have a white Christmas and things will probably stay white for quite a while.

Hope everyone has a safe holiday.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

xmas.JPGHope ya'll have a great Christmas.

Chet: The sleigh must have been inside the engineroom.

Willie: I itemize, so...well, time will tell.

Garry and others following CSX. Back in the '80s, around when CSX was formed, they pioneered the concept of a complete shutdown of the railroad over Christmas. Not any more. Saw a Syracuse to Massena, (Montreal), freight pass through here Sunday evening. Bah, humbug, did enough of that.

Start home tomorrow morning, after I clean off the truck. Jersey will be cold, but no snow. Once I get away from the Lake shore, there should be clear skies all the way.

Hope everyone,s Christmas was as happy as ours.

Just got back from visiting our daughter and the grand kids. Before leaving, got a call to stop and get batteries for some of the kids present. We were lucky and had some on hand. Weather not the best, still snowing and the roads were crappy. Bah humbug.
705a8ba80380d62af56a73448165493d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Merry Christmas everybody!

I instructed everyone in my family to NOT buy me any train-related stuff, because it would be too tricky trying to explain exactly what I want (other than providing a link to a specific item/vendor, which would spoil the element of surprise). So I let them get me more mundane-type items that I normally need to replace every few years anyway.

However...I did have what might be considered a "Santa Claus" experience: I stumbled upon an easy solution for a LokSound-equipped SW7 that has been dysfunctional for the past 15 months. During an op session in the fall of 2016, one of my guest operators pressed a random button that caused it to emit a continuous, static-sounding white noise that drowned out the sound of the prime mover. None of my local friends knew what it was or how to correct it; the best advice I got was to do a CV8 reset to factory defaults and have somebody with a Lok Programmer reconfigure it. Luckily I never quite got around to doing that.

Fast-forward to yesterday (Dec 24): I was watching a youtube video of James Wright reviewing the Atlas Gold Series Alco S2 which comes with a factory-installed LokSound decoder. He was going thru the list of features and what function keys to press. At one point he said "...and to turn the engine compartment fan on and off, toggle the F4 key." Hmmm... it sure sounded just like the static white noise on my SW7. So I went to the trainroom, powered up my problem SW7, hit the F4 key and sure enough - the unwanted sound dissappeared!:cool: Now my favorite steel mill switcher was finally back in service. [I also disabled the momentum feature which apparently often confuses certain guest operators who end up pushing random buttons trying to make it stop on a dime!]

Hope everybody enjoys what's left of the holiday!

[I also disabled the momentum feature which apparently often confuses certain guest operators who end up pushing random buttons trying to make it stop on a dime!]

Funny how everyone becomes Homer Simpson at the Nuclear power plant when faced with something unusual on a keypad.

Merry Christmas everybody!

I instructed everyone in my family to NOT buy me any train-related stuff, because it would be too tricky trying to explain exactly what I want (other than providing a link to a specific item/vendor, which would spoil the element of surprise). So I let them get me more mundane-type items that I normally need to replace every few years anyway.

However...I did have what might be considered a "Santa Claus" experience: I stumbled upon an easy solution for a LokSound-equipped SW7 that has been dysfunctional for the past 15 months. During an op session in the fall of 2016, one of my guest operators pressed a random button that caused it to emit a continuous, static-sounding white noise that drowned out the sound of the prime mover. None of my local friends knew what it was or how to correct it; the best advice I got was to do a CV8 reset to factory defaults and have somebody with a Lok Programmer reconfigure it. Luckily I never quite got around to doing that.

Fast-forward to yesterday (Dec 24): I was watching a youtube video of James Wright reviewing the Atlas Gold Series Alco S2 which comes with a factory-installed LokSound decoder. He was going thru the list of features and what function keys to press. At one point he said "...and to turn the engine compartment fan on and off, toggle the F4 key." Hmmm... it sure sounded just like the static white noise on my SW7. So I went to the trainroom, powered up my problem SW7, hit the F4 key and sure enough - the unwanted sound dissappeared!:cool: Now my favorite steel mill switcher was finally back in service. [I also disabled the momentum feature which apparently often confuses certain guest operators who end up pushing random buttons trying to make it stop on a dime!]

Hope everybody enjoys what's left of the holiday!

I would think the fan sound is turned up all the way. If you have JMRI Decoder Pro, you could go in and turn that specific sound down so it's just barely audible.

Good evening all,

I hope everyone had a Very Merry Christmas !

Funny how everyone becomes Homer Simpson at the Nuclear power plant when faced with something unusual on a keypad.

Both guys were seasoned modelers with 40+ years of mrr experience, with their own DCC-equipped home layouts. But neither of them were NCE users.

I would think the fan sound is turned up all the way. If you have JMRI Decoder Pro, you could go in and turn that specific sound down so it's just barely audible.

Yeah, maybe I should silence it completely.:rolleyes: Of course, now that I know exactly what causes the noise, fixing it will be as simple as pressing F4 - a second time.

Both guys were seasoned modelers with 40+ years of mrr experience, with their own DCC-equipped home layouts. But neither of them were NCE users.

I've been using mine for a couple of years or so at the club, 3 times a month and still not able to do it without looking at it, so very understandable if you're used to the layout of another brand.

Today is a Tuesday it would be much better suited as a Monday. Locked out of the shop I work in is a good start....senior mechanic forgot to leave me his door key.

Justin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back