Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning Everyone: 41* heading to 69* today - still no clouds to speak of. The forecast shows 20% chance of rain tomorrow.

The fire is slowly coming under control if the wind stays down. Nephew's wife Facebooked last evening that they had fire near both sides of their house, but was able to be stopped! She said that if the wind behaves they may be allowed back in Wed or Thur. That would be a good Christmas for them!

Can't believe that not a single one of you commented on my post late last evening!
Well....so be it!
On my own - again. I'm gonna go fix myself an UMLAUT!

Morn'in Sherrel...I decided I'd keep my mouth shut :)...The only thing I'd be even remotely qualified on would be a Marklin Starter Set...
If I was buying one today I guess I go with one of the 'C' Track Digital Sets...Preferably a nice 'Used' one in good shape off eBay...If you're
even a little curious do an eBay Search for just 'Marklin Starter Set'...That way you'll see both 'M' & 'C' Track / Digital & Analog​...Trig

This is for Sherrel .... ... ;) ... :p

25295974648_fc115cb5e6_k.jpg

Wait til you get older Bruce. You may very well grow to regret that decision. My new layout plan includes a hinged lift span in the plans.
:cool:

I am 54 and have bad knees and a bad back, I DID mention building with an eye for changes. Some time in the next few decades I'll want to change it and I will be able to.

Afternoon All,

Nothing much done today except more Christmas shopping:(.

CA Dave- A friend gave me his father's loco and train related pocket watch because he said I would appreciate them. The loco is all metal and heavy. I believe it is a HO Lionel loco.

20171219_110756.jpg

Eric- I thought you quit working for Larry before because of his drinking among other things?

Justin- A dog bone type track plan would probably work for you. I have a folded version that allows me to walk through the center of the layout. Something that I found invaluable for laying track and especially T/O's is a small level that shows the level of the direction of travel and the side to side level. I bought this one at Lowes for a couple of dollars.

20171218_222353.jpg

Joe- I'm pretty sure Hollywood and everything liberal likes Jane Fonda. I received your card..Thank You.

Sherrel- Ask for a gift certificate from your LHS or where you buy your supplies from then you can get what you need or want.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Hello All...I thought I'd give ya' another look inside my pea-pick'in little brain at what's close to being the final plan...maybe !!!
If things go as planned the Main Board will be in place on Thursday...After that only time will tell...If I can get the Board all
prepped and finished by the middle of January I'll be thrilled but I think that may be overly optimistic...And I'm In No Rush...

The 'Blue' section is Elevated...The 'Yellow' is a Station...3 Main Lines...Bi-Directional
All 3 Main Lines are isolated and powered by their own Transformer
The 8 'Orange' Feeders Power the Mains...The 4 'Gray' Feeders Power the Yards and the Siding
2 Remote Un-Couplers and 1 Control Track...Plus a Speed Controller for the Station
The Sprayed 'Black' dots are the isolation points for the power...The 4 'Gray' Feeders are simple on/off

Between the cleaning and testing of all the parts and pieces I think I'll be occupied for quite a while...And later today or tomorrow
I need whack up a bunch'a 2" cardboard squares to stack for test piers on the elevated section...Keep Me Out'a Trouble !!!...Trig :D

Final1.jpg...Next time there will be something Real​ to look at !!!

Justin, I just bought a pair of Walthers Proto SD45 engines, in DC, in Seaboard System, cheap.They're new in the box, and including shipping to my door, they're $60 each.
Let me know if you think you might want one, or both.

Justin, I just bought a pair of Walthers Proto SD45 engines, in DC, in Seaboard System, cheap.They're new in the box, and including shipping to my door, they're $60 each.
Let me know if you think you might want one, or both.
Seaboard system huh? If I was doing the early CSX merger days I'd be all over them. You wouldn't by chance still have any of those GP9s would you?

Justin

Thanks, CURT ... I have always been a fan of dog bone track plans - makes for a longer run of the main line if one has the room. I have had my eyes on a 5x9 layout with both 18 and 22 inch radius for quite a few years which I was thinking could be expanded to say 6x10 or11 giving it 22/24 radius curves.
I have debated the gift card idea. Nearest RR HS is about 30 miles with no gift card - possibly one near Yorba Linda 45+ miles and I think in Escondido 35 miles south. Maybe a Hobby Lobby which is here - have to see if they have stuff I need right now. There is also a Hobby Haven with full retail on what few HO things they have. Now, if I was a Lionel collector, there is a guy in "old town" who has a store full!. The other part of your statement ... I rally haven't bought any "supplies" for hobbys' in 30 years ... like I said - starting basic from almost scratch!

GARRY Thanks for the Frisco caboose - good to see the Frisco name on anything. Too bad that the ATSF killed their attempt to reach San Francisco!

Are you referring to Kadee #148 couplers? I use those and #146 depending on if I need the extended shaft for long cars.

ERIC The fact that you use them does not answer my question? Are they easy to work with - Do they work well - as compaired to the #5's Terry mentioned.

ERIC The fact that you use them does not answer my question? Are they easy to work with - Do they work well - as compaired to the #5's Terry mentioned.

Sherrel - I have been using the 158 whisker couplers for quite a while and have no problems working with them. They are the closer to scale couplers.

I am here lurking on the phone.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

I'd say they are just about the same thing as the #5. I think the #5 knuckle is a little smaller.

They work well. Good enough I plan to upgrade all of my stuff to them. Easiest hooking couplers I have installed.

Justin

GARRY Thanks for the Frisco caboose - good to see the Frisco name on anything. Too bad that the ATSF killed their attempt to reach San Francisco!

Sherrel. .. in a way, Frisco did eventually get to San Francisco because Frisco and Santa Fe are fallen flags within BNSF .... some of my HO freight cars are a Frisco .

Sherrel - KD #148's are identical to #5's except for the whiskers. A lot easier to install. The #158's are the same thing except smaller, closer to scale as Chet pointed out. I have used both but favor the #148's because they couple with my existing #5's a whole lot better.

Willie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back