Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sherrel. ...That’s right . Justin wants a wider radius .

Justin. ... can you describe the space available for a layout. ? ... I’m getting another idea altogether. Is there a long wall for a shelf type layout? If so, how long?

I'd disappear that insane traitor commie wench for free. Direct aid and comfort to sworn enemies was actually a punishable offence at one time.

Sherrel. ...That’s right . Justin wants a wider radius .

Justin. ... can you describe the space available for a layout. ? ... I’m getting another idea altogether. Is there a long wall for a shelf type layout? If so, how long?
Garry I'll measure in the morning. Judging by my layout the wall where it is sitting is atleast 10'. The opposite wall....is longer. I haven't measured anything at all really. I'll send measurements in the morning.

Justin

Sherrel is on to it. That was in a way one of my gripes with my 4x8. None....I mean none of my six axles liked my 18" curves. 22" curves they were fine. 18....yeah no. They liked to derail in a hurry on 18" curves

Justin

Justin.... Sounds like you need to decide what area to allocate for a layout first.

Joe. ... any thoughts yet on the cause of the accident ? .. I’m wondering if slack action played a part. Suppose train slowed for the curve which was still ahead of it when it derailed. Lightweight cars between two heavy locomotives could have had an accordion effect .

Trig, that Marklin manual is very interesting. I had the center stud 3 rail track. We had a German fellow in the club who passed on just recently. I remember him "instructing" me on the correct pronunciation.
LOL...Yep...Closest I can get phonetically is May-erk-lynn with just a bit more 'E' in the 'lynn'...I guess :)...And I'm always Happy
when my eBay supplies arrive...New Wire Plugs / New Motor Brushes & 3 New End Bumpers...Or I should say 17 year old un-used !!!

Trig :D

Justin.... Sounds like you need to decide what area to allocate for a layout first.

Joe. ... any thoughts yet on the cause of the accident ? .. I’m wondering if slack action played a part. Suppose train slowed for the curve which was still ahead of it when it derailed. Lightweight cars between two heavy locomotives could have had an accordion effect .
Garry all things considered the very first layout I posted will fit in the space I have now. It would basically take up the space my old layout occupies now. It gives me the ability to add wider curves. That's why I shared it. There are down sides to that plan. I'm not a fan of the one foot wide parts. I feel it'll limit me. I may be wrong. But that's what I'm looking at. My minimum radius with that plan will be 22". I can run 24". Would open the door for bigger locomotives.

Justin

LOL...Yep...Closest I can get phonetically is May-erk-lynn with just a bit more 'E' in the 'lynn'...I guess :)...And I'm always Happy
when my eBay supplies arrive...New Wire Plugs / New Motor Brushes & 3 New End Bumpers...Or I should say 17 year old un-used !!!

I have always called it Mayerkleen.

Probably because the "a" is supposed to be the one with 2 dots over it.
I forget what that's called. It's not umlaut I know.

Justin. I just looked back several pages. Actually that’s a good idea to start with a section of the layout and make it the engine terminal. Months later you can add more to move on to the coal mine and build it. Late go farther toward the power plant.

Amtrak crash : . ... the media are guessing the train was going too fast for a curve. Photos show the train did not get to the curve . It derailed on a bridge before the curve. .

Unbelievable..... the landlord is still here over 3 hours later.
You can either light the pilot/fix the furnace or not!! Good God.
I want to lay down.

The two dots are called an umlaut.

Then I guess I was thinking of circumflex (the hat - shift-6 ^).
What is the O with the diagonal slash through it?
My Danish brother has that in his name. I know how to pronounce it but forget what it's called.

As it stands right now my layout takes up 6'x 10'. Spot on measurements and a good case for leaving the sacred sheet. The plan I initially shared. I'll share again in this post. It should only take up 8'x 9' and open the door for wider radius curves. As I see it too I'll have the space to play with here. Even if I don't pull the power plant coal mine deal I can do external staging as a place to go. Now bear in mind I'm not using the track plan just the table setup. I have my own ideas that will make this layout feel more C&O instead of fly by my pants modeling like my previous layout.
649b1937cced011dd6b2df8f5f2f4beb.jpg

Justin

OK Girls and Guys .... I have been asked by one of the clan as to what they can get me for Christmas!
As most of you know - I am basic starting over with HO. I will need wheel sets, trucks, and couplers. What do I ask for?????
Brand names and numbers, please!

The two dots are called an umlaut.

Then I guess I was thinking of circumflex (the hat - shift-6 ^).
What is the O with the diagonal slash through it?
My Danish brother has that in his name. I know how to pronounce it but forget what it's called.

Umlaut ???...Oh My What Have I Started...But It Sounds Tasty...I have a Umlaut With Grilled Peppers, Mushies, Jack Cheese...
Side Of Hash Brown With Green Onion and Grilled Brats', Coffee And A Bear Claw Too !!!...Almost Breakfast Time...Trig :D

Umlaut ???...Oh My What Have I Started...But It Sounds Tasty...I have a Umlaut With Grilled Peppers, Mushies, Jack Cheese...
Side Of Hash Brown With Green Onion and Grilled Brats', Coffee And A Bear Claw Too !!!...Almost Breakfast Time...Trig :D

Oh man...... that's not fair! I can cook the hell out of omlet like you want. Sure you don't want some ham and cheddar in that umlaut?
Hash browns... would like those scattered and smothered? I prefer the yellow sweet vidalia onions here. I am in Georgia after all.
How do you want those "mushies"? Sauteed, carmalized. fried in butter?

Wish I could eat. All that talk makes me want to walk to the Waffle House. Alas, it would be for naught.
....... sigh.......
E

As it stands right now my layout takes up 6'x 10'. Spot on measurements and a good case for leaving the sacred sheet. The plan I initially shared. I'll share again in this post. It should only take up 8'x 9' and open the door for wider radius curves. As I see it too I'll have the space to play with here. Even if I don't pull the power plant coal mine deal I can do external staging as a place to go. Now bear in mind I'm not using the track plan just the table setup. I have my own ideas that will make this layout feel more C&O instead of fly by my pants modeling like my previous layout.

Justin
Justin...I am a rather curious type...Are you using any of the Track Planning Software that's out there ???

Also, my previous layout was 6 x 9 and it was a pretty nice size...I went with a 6' max on the width to be
able to reach without having to have a 'Cut-Out' in the middle to crawl into...And as with the new layout
an 'L' or a 'Horseshoe' wasn't doable and I didn't want to loose any track space in the middle...Trig

Oh man...... that's not fair! I can cook the hell out of omlet like you want. Sure you don't want some ham and cheddar in that umlaut?
Hash browns... would like those scattered and smothered? I prefer the yellow sweet vidalia onions here. I am in Georgia after all.
How do you want those "mushies"? Sauteed, carmalized. fried in butter?

Wish I could eat. All that talk makes me want to walk to the Waffle House. Alas, it would be for naught.
....... sigh.......
E
Oh Man...Any or All of the above works for me !!!...I'm hopeful you'll be back at it soon...Trig

Good late evening, 'Tie Setters, Rail Layers & Spike Drivers',

Say Flo, Francine, How are things going down here at Jeffrey Running Bears' Dinner, seems like some lively discussion alright.
I think I like some Chinese Chicken Noodle soup and some Coffee. It's hard to believe that it been three years since Jeffrey passed away. God rest his soul.

45°F Wells rd Station Report
10:08 PM PST on December 18, 2017 (GMT -0800) | Updated a few seconds ago
--°F | 39°F
45°F - Feels like 45°F, it's Clear & Cold with 69% Humidity;
Winds are from the NE at .1 mph;
Tomorrow is forecast to be nearly the same temperature as today.

Happy Birthday David, better late than never, but please forgive me.

What is this? I thought it could be old enough for the era you model, but I really don't know.

41381.jpg

Say Louis: No need to apologize. Thanks for taking the time out of your busy schedule to even reply with all your doing to express a birthday wish to me. I didn't expect it at all, so don't even concern yourself.
I'm not sure what type of loco that is other than it looks to be European with the round windows and Walscherts Valve gear.

Here is one of my little Old Time Tea Kettles with saddle tanks. These are a fairly inexpensive loco's by Life Like but I replaced their crude plastic whistle with a realitic brass one from Cal Scale, as well as a realistic brass bell and added the brass water feed pump on the side of the boiler.

irpumpaddedenhanced-Reszed964x7231-Jpg_zpsa92a40fb.jpg

Good morning, it's 39°, sunny and breezy.

The two sections of track, I finally wired for dual cab control, work fine. Tracing temp wiring to replace it with permanent buss feeds and block control switches is a PIA.

David: Happy birthday!

Say Joe: Thanks, it's appreciated as is all the information you supply reguarding the various conditions that take place such a the Washington Derailment. Speaking of which, it seems odd if that line was newly referbushed and inspected there should be any problems with it especially when they stated it was rated at being able to handle a train traveling 80 mph?

Good morning everyone. 44 and mostly sunny here in SW MO - will hit 57 today. Nice autumn week, and then the bottom drops out for the weekend with possible snow for Christmas. I guess winter had to arrive sometime here in the middle of the country :p I'll take a nice hot cup of coffee and a chocolate croissant - ah, my favorite combination! I've been off work for a few days, plus the weekend - don't usually get on the forum when I'm off, but don't worry - I'm here to stay. This is a great group and I'm happy to be part of it.

Still making progress in the trainroom, but it's mostly ballasting track, nothing really interesting to post a photo about. Working on some scenery, too, and will post soon. MR-V coming along slowly. Had daughter. SIL, and granddaughter over for lunch yesterday, and that 16-month old loves the trains - I let her hit the horn and bell buttons, and she loves to point at the trains and follow them around the layout.

Have a good day everyone.

Hi Johnny: Thanks for the Birthday Wishes. Glad to have you here on the forum too. You find out that Flo and Francine really keep Jeffrey Running Bears' dinner very well stocked. It seems that no matter what you want they usually have it available. I still can't figure that one out, it's as if they have ESP to know what each of us is liable to ask for! Almost a little freaky!

Good Morning All. 46° and foggy outside this morning. Wow! Lots of activity here in the Coffee Shop yesterday. Some new faces and Louis sneaked back in! lol My buddy from where I used to work dropped by yesterday bearing an eight week supply of those 3" x 4" x 42" untreated oak boards for my wood burner. He was a few weeks late in bringing them by! I still have about a four week supply of wood and tree parts but I still have to cut these in half in order to fit into the heater. Guess what I will be doing for a couple of days.
Out in the train shed, I switched gears for a few hours yesterday. I have two covered hoppers that have been on the RIP track for 25+ years. Very early in my modeling days, I was experimenting with ways to add weight to Athearn Blue Box and similar freight cars. So I used some modeling clay in these two. Shortly afterward, some kind of oil began to ooze out of the clay and onto the bottoms of these two cars, where it proceeded to gather dust etc. I had also glued these two cars shut and could not get inside them. So they got set aside for a (long) while. Yesterday I decided to try to rehabilitate them. It required carefully using several cutting utensils to open them, removing the clay, removing all metal parts and washing them in warm soapy water. Then I glued pennies inside and added metal wheels, they already had working KD #5's. Now I have two additional freight cars that I don't have room for. Lesson learned (a long time ago).

Justin - I failed to comment on your post regarding some of the other threads on the forum. There's a bunch as I see you have discovered. I found that I can some days get lost and hung up for hours on this and other forums...takes time away from modeling.:eek: I do believe that you have made the right decision regarding dismantling the layout. As you now know, trackwork is of upmost importance.

Sherrel - You're in real trouble if you catch one of those girls that you flirt with. HaHaHa!

Dave - There are many ways to make removable sections foolproof. A simple lift-out is going to be a lot easier than anything that swings either up, down of to the side. Always make sure that there is a section of track on either side that goes dead if the section is not installed. The last thinf you want is a floor model.

Someone mentioned 2' wide layouts. Much of mine is only 2" wide along the walls and I can get a lot of railroading in that space.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Say Willie: Are you sure you meant a shelf 2 inches in width? I think HO road bead is 2.5" wide at the base.

I do agree with you about Justine's layout rebuild as I too feel he be much happier with an around the wall, but free standing layout.

Now as far a Sherrel and the Girls, how he doesn't get caught is beyond me?

WARNING - I'm going political

Jane Fonda has just put up $100,000 to see that Darrell Issa is un seated in Congress.
I wonder if I can get 100,000 veterans to each put up a dollar to make Jane Fonda disappear?

Say Sherrel: You can count me in too for at least $2.00 to thwart Hanoi Janes' efforts!

Justin

Say Justin: I think your making a wise move to build free standing table work with adjustable T Nuts and 1" long carrage bolts for leg adjustments as needed to even up table height. Use the full area you have as best possible. Having a layout that you can operate from the inside open up a lot of enjoyment and possibilities not to mention broader curves. Just try and keep your track at least a couple of inches from the edges for some scenery to add more depth and realism to it for more enjoyment.

Have a great day all!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back