Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXVII

Good morning everyone. 71 and raining here in SW MO. Hitting 83 today with 90% chance of thunderstorms all day. Weekend looks like a washout - bummer - - no, wait a minute - that means I've got to stay indoors, which means - - TRAINROOM TIME!! :cool:

Hey, guys - - what does it mean when your wife says she's a "trainroom widow"? :rolleyes:

Mostly worked on the bridge structure kit - should have it in place this weekend. Got in some ballast from AZ Rock/Mineral - seems awfully fine - will try it in an inconspicuous spot first. Will be my first attempt at ballasting.

Have a good day everyone.

Good Morning All. 76° and mostly cloudy today. Thunderstorms are once again about 30 miles north around Thakerville OK, but doesn't look like they will swoop far enough south to hit here. It's headed Johnny's way. The ones yesterday simply fizzled out. Good news though, it's been sunny in the day and overcast at night which has warmed the pool back up to 85°. Perfect at either 6:00am or 5:00pm. I usually hit it at both times. Made the grocery/beer trek yesterday and did pretty good. I had $40 worth of coupons which made it really nice. Still spent $140 though. Skipping last week was OK, in the end I spent less per week. Got a new critter to deal with, another armadillo. This one larger and more stupid than the last one.
08-11-17 013.jpg08-11-17 012.jpg
For all intents and purposes, these creatures are nearly blind. I was less than 3' away when I took these pictures.
No major activity in the train shed yesterday. Spent over 30 minutes trying to determine why an engine derailed for no reason on a broad 34" curve. Conclusion has not been reached as I couldn't duplicate it. I'll resume my project today. Meanwhile here's a picture of the progress.
08-11-17 004.JPG08-11-17 014.JPG
Before (but after I painted the sky) and after. As I posted before, I go for mostly simple backdrops. I'll add some vertical splotches of various green paints to semi-represent distant trees, and tape some reduced scale photos on it.

Johnny - Officially gave up on the garden here. It was bountiful while it lasted. Like you, I am contemplating what to plant for the fall. I usually just plant greens, squash and green beans; and nurture along the surviving tomato and pepper plants. I'll skip the green beans this fall as I have 34 pints in the "larder". Regarding the two trains, have you looked into a second power supply and some Atlas selectors? Two different operators can operate independently on seperate loops if you have insulating joiners in the right places. On my pike, I "double-head" almost all trains.
Chet -
We also have other MIA's.
Yeah, I miss Justin's posts and that new member from Oregon, Jerry. David, (Trussrod), has been pretty much missing lately. BUT We did see a return of our old pal Bruce. Regarding the train shed. Yes the allure of running trains takes priority more often than not. But thet's what they are there for!
Louis - Continued good luck with the property search. Sounds like a lot of options are open right now.
Sherrel I for one like to hear your ramblings, even if I don't have time to reply.
Get a life! LOL;)
Sherrel - Sounds like you're getting back to a semi-normal life. Fixing stuff and all that. Those photos of 3751 are appreciated.
Terry - Thanks for the link. Odd though, no where in the link does it state how far it will go! I suppose that I could just set it up in the other end of the house (or in an outdoor outlet) and that might work.
Bruce - Good luck with the scooter. I remember how much you enjoyed "scootin'" around. Good luck as well regarding the shingles. You raise some concern here, as I have chosen not to get the vaccine.
Greg - Hope that you get your plumbing woes fixed soon. While we don't generally use them around here, sump pumps are a real necessary evil where you do need them.
Ken (D&J) - Cool video. I'm with you regarding your railroad.

Everybody have a great Friday.

Willie

Last edited by a moderator:
I will give no opinion on the vaccine. Not scooting and the shingles have shot this summer right in the butt. might as well be snowing. A month and a half of PAIN has shattered my mind to smaller bits than it ever was, confusion, irritation with everyday nothings, and an inability to give a damn about much of much. Had to come HERE and see some relaxed individuals and hope it rubs off on me.

Have an excellent day.

Willie - I'm committed to running DC at least for this layout (my first). But the fun of running two (or more) trains at the same time is certainly convincing, so I may go in the direction you talk about. I happen to have two controls - one is being used to power accessories right now but could easily be converted back to its original purpose. I'd have to get the Atlas selectors and then switch out some rail joiners to insulated ones. I'll look into that maybe this fall or winter - right now I'm trying to get the layout landscaping moving forward. I'll check out YouTube videos and articles on how to do that "double heading" but I'll probably still have questions to bring to the forum.
Thanks.

Mornin, y'all. Dreary day. Only 79 but HUMID, feels hotter. 'posed to get up to 91 or 92 with heat index 100. Overcast heavy to the north with storm clouds already building.
Garage to hot to do any train running.
I also have a Daylight consist- seven cars- with a F7A/B and a PA/PB for power. Layout not long enough to really give the consist justice. The cars are Athearn kits from 91. Survived "ANDREW" and move to Mid Fla. from Miami.
Doc pleased with latest 'scope results and blood work. Playing the 'C Y A ' card. Wants 'nother scope in 3 months. Heck, can't afford all this even with co-pay. Guess he figures we get enough from S S to cover it. Hell, when got out of army in 56, $50 a week was decent pay for a single man.
Hope everyone doing well. Prayers for all,
Phil

Good morning ....

Sherrel .... I definitely like my BLI CB&Q E7's and I would think the Santa Fe E6's would be just as good. .... I have a Photo 2000 E AB set. Like my other ATSF models, they are not yet DCC. ... That would be great if you could visit next year mostly because it sounds like you are optimistic about your health issues. Of course, it would be good if you could sop by. ..... Bowling Green is a very nice small city. It has very small railroads museum with a L&B E8 with a couple of L&N passenger cars. It is a short distance away from Mammoth Cave which, of course, has many visitors.

Below are my Santa Fe FM's posed on the bridge. Like all of my Santa Fe locomotives, the FM's are not yet converted to DCC and not operating now.

35058433033_74ca1e900b_b.jpg

Willie ... Those are ugly critters.... Your sky looks nice. ...

Terry .... Regarding the seller on Ebay. Bill Harris is a friend of mine and is a very good guy. Next time I see him, I will razz him about not accepting Pay Pal. ... His store is in Paducah. In past years he had a store in Texas, but he moved back to KY where he has family. He does not discount prices very much. You can see his Facebook page at " Classic Trains and Ferraris ".... Bill is the only guy I know in KY who has Ferrari.

Last edited by a moderator:
Morning gents...so this is going to be a bit of a rant. I've ordered stuff from many sites online...MB Klein, Tonys Trains,Amazon etc. Yesterday was my first attempt at ordering online from Walthers. When it came time to checkout I filled in the shipping page with all my shipping address info and hit the continue button. Which of course brought me to the billing page and the requirement to fill in all the billing address info, which in my case is exactly the same as my shipping address that I had filled out on the previous page. So of course I looked for the little check-box for "Billing address is the same as Shipping address" so I could click on it and not waste time filling out the same info all over again. Needless to say it wasn't there, so I returned to the previous page to see if it was there and I just missed it but of course it wasn't there. So I go forward again to the Billing Page where I notice the PayPal button..." ahah!" Says I, all my billing and shipping info is already on PayPal...I can hit that button and bingo Walthers gets all my info and payment with one click. But no, Walthers still wants all my billing info entered on their billing page before letting me go to PayPal, which totally defeats one of the purposes of PayPal. So I said screw it. And walked away. I really am surprised that a company that does as much online business as Walthers is still using 1990s tech on their page. SMH! Wake up Walthers!!

First rule of retail....Make it as easy,quick and painless as possible for me to give you my money...don't make me jump through needlessly repetative hoops to to that!!!!

Rant mode off!!

As far as the paypal thing on ebay, I thought it is the only method they allow. Isn't your P/P account from where they draw their final valuation fee?

Garry -- That just happens to be one of my favorite photos. i saved it from when you posted it back aways.
May I inquire as to the make of the bridges - nicely done!

Willie "Dillos" are nice .. most all I saw, when a kid, were laying flat on the road. When I was about 8-9, My Dad brought one home - under a washtub - in the back of his work truck. Boy did that thing "take-off" when he raised the tub up! It jumped out of the bed and was gone in a flash!

Gene, you mean you can actually find what you want on Walthers site without knowing the exact product number??

Garry -- That just happens to be one of my favorite photos. i saved it from when you posted it back aways.
May I inquire as to the make of the bridges - nicely done!

Sherrel .... Thank you .... The main double track spans are Walthers..... Each end has a pair of single track bridges side-by-side, and they are common Atlas bridges. ... I made the piers and abutments from 1/4" plywood.

Good morning guys, 62 and sun. Still pretty stuffed up but will be spending tomorrow on Lake Superior so should have some relief.

Willie-- like your landscapes background, also appreciate the armadillo pic

Garry-- like the santefe locomotives and bridge scene. My first locomotive was a F-7 sante fe.

Check out Hawkes latest layout video on his thread if you haven't yet

Willie: Older pump is installed and seems to be working fine until I order a new one. We're high on a hill so only in spring or during a heavy rain will the pump operate. The water level in the sump pimp pit has not raised a bit in two days.

Ken: Sure like those Dust Monkeys. Thanks again for the info.

Off to the cabin in an hour. Finish staining the last ten boards on the rear deck.

Have a neighbor a half mile down the road who built a metal pole building for his layout. Few people have the chance to see it. He keeps it a secret. My goal is to met him and maybe seen the layout. His layout had floor to ceiling scenery and is almost completed.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Thanks.

Greg

Gene -- Great RANT! You should mail it to Walthers along with a copy of your "almost" order!

I did, yesterday....they responded that they would pass my comments onto their IT guys...I'm not holding my breath.

I really am surprised that more sellers,vendors,online shops,charities etc do not use PayPal. It makes no sense, especially for companies as large as Walthers, MB Klein or various national charities. I'm convinced they lose out on sales,donations etc.

I did, yesterday....they responded that they would pass my comments onto their IT guys...I'm not holding my breath.

I really am surprised that more sellers,vendors,online shops,charities etc do not use PayPal. It makes no sense, especially for companies as large as Walthers, MB Klein or various national charities. I'm convinced they lose out on sales,donations etc.

Gene ...... Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I phone in my order to Walthers using a credit card to pay. Actually, I don't buy from them very often.

Gene ...... Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I phone in my order to Walthers using a credit card to pay. Actually, I don't buy from them very often.

Garry...I don't know if your old-fashioned or not. I do prefer online ordering rather than phone orders because that gives me a complete record of my purchases, payments and allows me to track my order in case it gets lost during transit. I too very rarely order from Walther's...this is only my second order in my life.

Had a very pleasant Friday evening run at the club. Several visitors from the US, southern Idaho to be exact. They were lent some trains to run on the layout. One video'd my MRL powered train. There were also some locals that had come to try the DCC experience and were suitably impressed with it's possibilities. One wife had a ball, driving a train with her phone. Lucky husband. Wouldn't get mine there in chains. Same as when I tried to get her interested in joining up with me to a car club, so we could both enjoy some company and trips with friendly people. (sorry for the personal rant)

Back