Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXVII

Good morning. 55 degrees to start the day and we may tickle 80 this afternoon. The smoke is real bad this morning. For a while I couldn't tell if it was cloudy or smoke. Smoke it was. In the western part of the state they are issuing evacuation notices because the smoke is so bad.

Sherrel - I'll take a glazed with my coffee. Nice photo of he passenger train. They are a rarity up here. The only passenger service up here is the AmTrack Empire Builder across the northern part of the state. Know what you mean about the E units. Always liked them. I do have one decorated for the Milwaukee Road but it wouldn't have operated up here because the Hiawatha was electrified up here and the Northern Pacific never ran any E units.

Ken in MD -
I am not getting a shingles shot. I never had chicken pox and my doctor says that shingles is actually a form of chicken pox reactivated. I'll pass.

Louis - Your son is probably just like a lot of other younger people wanting everything and not really having the $$$ to pay for it. Quite common. Hope you are able to find a place for your wife and a new home. Best of luck.

Ken D&J - Enjoyed the video. Also like your rules.

Garry
- Nice photo (as usual).

Gene - I have come across the same situation. I will second your rant.

Johnny - Enjoy the train room. I am hoping that we will be able to complete the back deck. Have the handrails and spindled to install and then stain the surface of the deck. The only time I'll get in the train room is to gather up the equipment I'll be taking to the club in Livingston, if I have any energy left.

Here's my rail photo for the day. Enjoy and get off the tracks.

c9221ee4662a0af1f1e07dbeb6a1b0fe.jpg

Later.

Ken in MD - I am not getting a shingles shot. I never had chicken pox and my doctor says that shingles is actually a form of chicken pox reactivated. I'll pass. ...
Chet.... you never had Chicken Pox? Consider yourself lucky! I did get it when I was 6, so I'm very much at risk. The main reason I got the vaccine was not because it 'prevents' Shingles [it doesn't, it only decreases the chance of getting it] but because it significantly lowers the probability of serious nerve inflammation like what Bruce has.

I was lucky not to get chicken pox. My brother and sister both came down with it, but I was sent off to live with relatives until they got better. Never came down with it.

I can remember many years ago when my father in law had the shingles. He was a construction supervisor and had a 100 mile trip to the construction site and never mssed a days work. Don't know how he did it.

I was lucky not to get chicken pox. My brother and sister both came down with it, but I was sent off to live with relatives until they got better. Never came down with it.

I can remember many years ago when my father in law had the shingles. He was a construction supervisor and had a 100 mile trip to the construction site and never mssed a days work. Don't know how he did it.

I contend that people were more hearty back then!
My father worked 16 hour days 6 days a week for years and years - all through the depression - in all kinds of weather - outside!
His physical muscular condition, at age 89, put mine to shame. His heart finally gave out! Throughout my 20's we used to have contests on shouldering a 464 pound oil field cable tool as who could walk more than 2 steps with it. I finally beat him ONCE, I think!

Sherrel - I think you have a real good point there. Look at some of the TV commercials that are on today. Lysol disinfects 99.9% of all germs. So many kids have allergies today. I can remember seeing my kid eat dirt (so did I ) I never get a flu shot and in the past 40 years I had the flu one time. No allergies.

Another thing that really gets me are all of the TV ads from the drug companies, and I especially have to laugh at all of the side effects that may occur. "Tell your doctor about all of the drugs you're taking". I imagine that he probably prescribed them for you. Recently the ads seem to be trying scare people to get them to take drugs for Hep C and meningitis. While visiting with my doctor and getting treated for my cyst we were laughing about the ads.

Drug company reps are always trying to get doctors to prescribe their drugs, but I will give my doctor a lot of credit because before he wil prescribe anything, he does his own research.

My rant is over.

I walked three miles to school...it was only two blocks away but I had things to do and people to see...

Good Evening All,

Another scorcher here and probably no rain. Did some chores this morning and we watched the boys for several hours today. After they were picked up I continued work on the build. No modeling tomorrow since I'm meeting with 4 0r 5 other modelers here and we are car pooling up to Deland (about 40 minutes away) to another modelers huge UP layout in progress (3 levels). I also talked to Phil for a couple of minutes today and he is doing well.

Eric- Nice job. Something I have started doing is ground cover before ballasting, but like anything else there are probably a dozen different ways of doing it and it's just figuring out what works best for us.

Garry- I meant I have a pool and it is a money drain.

VA Ken- Nice video. When I saw the title of 3751 I got excited that a Pennsy loco was being used, but I should of known better.;)

Sherrel- Nice picture also.

Terry- I always thought that you needed to buy via PayPal to get Ebay protection.

Gene- Heck, even the VA on their online payment form does that for you and that's the Federal Government.

20170811_164449.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Louis - best of luck on buying the new property, whichever one it turns out to be...

Thank you Ken, after hearing from the electrical contractor I am going with the one that needs very little work.

Louis - Continued good luck with the property search. Sounds like a lot of options are open right now.

Get a life! LOL;)

My main focus is getting my wife setup working for herself. That is turning out to be much more expensive than I thought!

:) I'm content with the life I have, thank you :) In my past life I was a cold hearted prick, now the pendulum has swung in the opposite direction. It's amazing how hardship can change a persons perspective.

Louis - Your son is probably just like a lot of other younger people wanting everything and not really having the $$$ to pay for it. Quite common. Hope you are able to find a place for your wife and a new home. Best of luck.
Chet, you nailed it! My son and my oldest daughter thought credit was free money. They know better now :) At least they paid their debts on time, now they both have outstanding credit ratings.

My youngest daughter has a better idea about money. She won't spend a dime unless it is for her house or my grandson and even then she has to analyze the proposed spending. The only debts she has are her car payment, 2013 Chevy Cruze LTZ and her mortgage. She has done very well for herself as a single mother. Never hurt to be a teamster!

I think I have all but decided to buy the house that my landlord offered me. The deal is too good to pass up and he is still insisting I pay the low ball price. He told me today he would be insulted because I had always done him right and he made more than enough on me for the last 13 years. Still surprising to me, but it shows some people never forget what you have done for them.

Chet.... you never had Chicken Pox? Consider yourself lucky! I did get it when I was 6, so I'm very much at risk. The main reason I got the vaccine was not because it 'prevents' Shingles [it doesn't, it only decreases the chance of getting it] but because it significantly lowers the probability of serious nerve inflammation like what Bruce has.
I had shingles a couple of years ago, right side of my back. I'd had the shot, however, so it wasn't anywhere near as painful as I'd heard reported. In fact, I was able to save some of the Norco for future use. I'm unclear whether you can get shingles more than once.

This signature is intended to irritate people.

Stupid Question #39: On a #4 turnout, what does the 4 mean?

Today I had a run in with a fly. The damn thing was buzzing my coffee, 24 oz cup, nearly full. Instead of killing the fly I managed to empty my cup on my desk and keyboard. Good thing I had a keyboard in stock because all I killed was my keyboard. I liked that keyboard, it had large letters and numbers for my failing eyes.

At least I did less damage than Popeye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx1sqhfQ2Vg

As in 4°, or 40°?

This post should answer your question about frog numbers. Oddly, the name "frog" to call that angle has been incorrect in a couple of posts, this one, earlier, saying it was the angle between the appearance of a Frog's legs???? The word is actually shortened from frogmouth, the angle between a frog's upper and lower lips when open. We have a native Owl here called a Frogmouth Owl for that very reason of it's beak's appearance.

[FONT=&amp]"The number of the frog corresponds to the length of run needed for the rails to diverge a distance of one unit. So a Number 5 frog would result from a switch where the rails were 1 inch apart after a run of 5 inches. The unit of measure is not important as long as the measurements are consistent.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Wye turnouts have a number that is half that of a normal left or right turn out because both tracks are diverging concurrently. So a "No. 3 Wye" is the equivalent of a No. 6 standard turnout.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Typical model train layouts use switches with frogs between a No. 4 and No. 10. Frogs of this size(#4) would be reserved for yards and tight industrial track applications".

On your question about the possibility of repeat occurences of Shingles, yes you can get them. Usually when your system is under stress from some other ailment or situation. [/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
August 10, 1885, America’s first commercially-operated electric streetcar began running in Baltimore
20663745_10155430752800490_6451337933124918420_n.jpg

From Sheppard Smith's Facebook page.

Back