Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXIV

Beady I had forgotten about that one, thanks for reminding me, DOH!

E I'm praying the day you get the results from the CT scan will be marked as a new holiday!

Off to work again. I have to drop my truck off with my daughter again today so she can use it for the rest of the week to move stuff to a storage unit. I'll take her car so I can get to work. Because today is another great day for riding, I'm wrestling the idea of just driving her car back home here to get my motorcycle then driving back to work. It's 35 miles each way.

Morning Gents,
0510 or so (CST) here and about 66° outside.
They are predicting high of 84 today. Good thing me and Mom did my runnin' around yesterday.

According to Amazon I have a couple of things that have been delivered here - a week ago - but I haven't seen them yet.
I'll hit up the administrator here and see what he has to say about it.

After runnin around yesterday I slept most of the afternoon and well into the night so I'll good to do some stuff for a few hours before knapping out.
E.

Good to see that you're getting out and about Eric. Hope your stuff isn't coming via FEDEX, they've been caught up in that ransomware attack.

Continuing my browsing around for good and spectacular videos, here's a European done by the same fellow that did some of the NZ ones. These vids are best viewed direct on YouTube via Google Chrome (Google owns YT if you didn't know) and you then have the "Full Screen" option. Some have mentioned that the vids are too long for comfortable viewing on the forum. If you are signed in to Google/YouTube, you can stop viewing and pick it up again from the continue watching section in your home page, If you subscribe to any, the providers name will also be in the list on the left. If this is old news, ignore the preceding. This video of the "down" trip through the Moraca Canyon is much better than the "Up" trip he did, which was through the closed window of an AC coach. This is done from an open window and allows panning shots. Stunning scenery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgZqJTxb0hU

Good Morning Folks. 68° and partly cloudy this morning. Supposed to be a little cooler today at 86°, yesterday's high was 94°. Spent most of the day doing outdoor activities, picked green peas and onions in the garden and mowed the last half acre or so. Pruned some low-hanging branches on some trees that make mowing unsafe. Funny how I pruned these trees during the winter and new branches just grew in to take their place!
Once things warmed up some, I moved to the air conditioned comfort of the train shed. Spent a little time priming doors/windows/trim for my structure project. I also did some maintenance on a few of the cars on the RIP track. Drooping couplers, coupler box cover fallen off, factory applied details that had fallen off, stuff like that. Wish that I made a note regarding why that 65' gondola is there!

Garry - That is one nice scrapyard scene.
Gene - Thanks for all of the videos. I like seeing what some clubs do with their scenery. Gives me ideas that I will forget by the time I get to that area of the layout!
Bruce - Hey! No sooner than Eric asked about you, you found your way back to the Coffee Shop. I know that we have moved a few times since your last visit. Welcome back. The place just isn't the same without a "motorpsycho maniac" in our midst. Good luck with the steamer, sounds like Terry made a decent offer, even without the gum.
Toot - The first few minutes of your latest video really had some great scenery. I wish that I had time to view that one (and many of your other finds) all of the way through.

All right. Everybody have a great day.

Willie

I do believe I will make it a static display and see if technology can catch up and someday I can make it roll. I been battling depression again and my moods have NOT been good.

Good morning. 33 degrees presently. Guess the 80's we had last week was a tease from mother nature.

Toot - Nice scenery on the train ride. Enjoy your videos.

Eric - It sounds like you're feeling somewhat better. Nice to hear that. Your stash of model railroad supplies also deems to be growing. Are you back home or are you still in your apartment???

Gene - No problem running the foreign stuff. They're still trains. You should post more photos of the club layout. From what I saw in the video, it really looks good.

Willie
- Keeping busy with little projects like you mentioned is something that I also do. Not many cars have to be repaired, but I am always trying to keep all couplers right up to snuff as I do use magnets for switching. Everything has to be just right. Maybe I can get a little work done this weekend in the little building that will be the entrance to the dining car restaurant. I have been putting that off for over a year. Having too much fun just running trains.

Time to get some work done, Later,

Good morning everyone. Time for some coffee and a cinnamon doughnut, I think. 65 here in SW MO, will hit 85 today, with wall-to-wall sunshine. some rain coming in tomorrow night and Friday.

Eric - we're praying for you, and believing that CT scan will be cause for a big celebration!!
Toot - always like viewing the rides - that return trip is neat.

Not much to report from the train room. Just keep working on the mountain scene and two lines running through it, plus some work on a passenger station kit. Don't know how many of you use plaster sheets for landscaping on your layouts, but I compared a pack of 30 12" X 8" sheets at Wally World, Hobby Lobby, and MBKlein. Hobby Lobby was cheapest retail, plus you can print a 40% coupon, so I got a pack for under 10 bucks. Haven't used this stuff before, so this'll be my first attempt.

Quick question: I've got one freight car that I bought at a model RR show some months ago, and it's so low that the couplers won't hook to any other car. What's the easiest way to correct that (besides blowing it off a stump with a 12-gauge)?

See ya later. Have a good day everyone.

DSCN2175.JPGDSCN2176.JPGDSCN2177.JPGDSCN2180.JPG

Good morning !

Gene .... Thanks for sharing photos of British Model Railway Club in Montreal. ........ I wish I could see it. I often used to go to Montreal for business, but now I do not go there anymore.

Curt and Willie .... Thanks for commenting about my photo.

Toot ... Great scenery for train riders in the videos you posted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick question: I've got one freight car that I bought at a model RR show some months ago, and it's so low that the couplers won't hook to any other car. What's the easiest way to correct that (besides blowing it off a stump with a 12-gauge)?

Two ways that are easy. First is to add Kadee washers between the truck and the bottom of the car. They come in two sizes, gray ones are .010" and red ones are .015". Most older Athearn blue-box cars need a red one. Second is to use Kadee "underset" couplers. They raise the coupler head by .050". I generally use the #24's, but there are many variations. See this:

https://kadee.com/htmbord/HO-Scale Couplers.htm

Willie

Gene - Nice photos. Quite the layout. I have no problems wit European trains at all. Back in the 60's when I was in the service I did take the train a lot while on leave exploring Europe and enjoyed every minute of it.

Two ways that are easy. First is to add Kadee washers between the truck and the bottom of the car. They come in two sizes, gray ones are .010" and red ones are .015". Most older Athearn blue-box cars need a red one. Second is to use Kadee "underset" couplers. They raise the coupler head by .050". I generally use the #24's, but there are many variations. See this:

https://kadee.com/htmbord/HO-Scale Couplers.htm

Willie

Willie - Thanks. It seems to me that adding washers between the truck and the freight car bottom would actually lower the coupler more, wouldn't it? I think I'll try the underset couplers to raise the coupler a bit higher.

Johnny - If the coupler is body mounted, adding the washers between the truck and the car will raise the coupler up. If the coupler is truck mounter it would not change the coupler height. I have a few old Silver Streak wood kit box cars that had to be raised up slightly to have the couplers match the Kadee gauge and a few washers did the trick.

Johnny - If the coupler is body mounted, adding the washers between the truck and the car will raise the coupler up. If the couple is truck mounter it would not change the coupler height. I have a few old Silver Streak wood kit box cars that had to be raised up slightly to have the couplers match the Kadee gauge and a few washers did the trick.

OK - I see - don't remember right now how the coupler is mounted on this particular car. I'll check later.

Johnny - Body mounted couplers are always your best bet. If you try to back a long string of cars into a siding, the chances of a derailment are good as the couplers will push the trucks off of center line. I got a number of passenger cars from Garry last year and many of them still had truck mounted couplers. I had a hard time getting them around the layout running forward. Backing up was a disaster. My Walthers Passenger cars all came with body mounted couplers and never gave me a bit of trouble. I could back them into a station through multiple turnouts and never had a problem one. I ended up changing out all of the truck mounted couplers to body mounts on Garry's passenger cars and now there's no problem at all with them.

All of my freight equipment are also body mounted

Back