Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXI

Good early morning Gents,

Been the same old things around these parts.
By Thursdays and Friday I was completely out of it and so I slept all day Sat. and most all Sunday.
But by Sun. evening I was feeleing quite goog actually.

I've slowly [although finally] learned that I can't, or necessarily get up and try to do someting just cause I feel good. Makes things a ton worse off a couple days late - kid

Today starts week 2 of radiation.. I'm
Let's hope it goes better as wetter.
Best head back to bed while I can. Double duty on Monday is pretty rough
Alas,,.... best head to bed.

Really nice engine Karl.

NIghty night.
Love you all.
E.

Good to see you communicating Eric, bed rest is the thing you need. My wife finds out tomorrow if they're going to advise radiation treatment. Has been told that the main side effect is fatigue.

On another note, got asked to look at an MTH PS3 GE loco for one of the club members, couldn't get it to obey it's long address. I eventually got it working. They have 2 default addresses, the normal short "3", which you can run on out of the box, and for the long address it's "3333". I discovered that to enable the Cab # long address as the operating one for DCC, at least with my NCE system, it's necessary to do the programming of CV's 29, 17, and 18 from that 3333 default. If you try it from 3, 29=38 gives you the double toot horn/whistle acceptance signal, but CV's 17, 18 don't respond and the loco doesn't "Take" the long address. There's no mention in the book also of cycling the power on/off as with the early PS3 locos, but I did it anyway to make sure.

Going to try it out to see if it will consist with my other Genesis Tsunami locos, as they claim they will.

32 degrees and love just a bustin out all over! Despite FALSE reports of doom, gloom, urine and other various horrors I actually feel pretty optimistic! E will recover nicely and the weather will soon be good again. Looks like there might even be jobs for my peeps in the auto industry coming back and it's about time! I've been hoping for a change from digging in my pockets hoping for change!

Good morning Everybody!

What new wonder is Detroit going to build for us now Bruce?

One new thing I have to say I like about our new POTUS is the plan to spend a trillion dollars on infrastructure! Detroit needs a fair share of that pie.

You know the old saying; so goes GM...

Have a great day Everybody!

Good morning. 38° and cloudy. Rain is forecast.

Karl: Nice project. The compressor cover looks great. Smokebox looks right on. Who said all steam engines look alike???:rolleyes:

Eric: You need to rest. We're all here for you. Guy I worked with underwent radiation treatment, and was always tired. He told me he always felt completely drained.

I have a few unrelated projects to do today, each involves the use of a ladder, which is why I have been putting them off. :rolleyes:

Hey Toot, the MTH manual that comes with the loco shows how to do the long address. You can also look it up on line. It's pretty easy.

Good morning Everybody!

What new wonder is Detroit going to build for us now Bruce?

One new thing I have to say I like about our new POTUS is the plan to spend a trillion dollars on infrastructure! Detroit needs a fair share of that pie.

You know the old saying; so goes GM...

Have a great day Everybody!

They will be making Cars like they should have been doing all this time. Washing machines and stereo's, new high tech gadgets, decent affordable clothing, furniture, toys, shoes and all the things they YOUSTA make regionally instead of internationally!

I really did not care what the last guy did as long as I did not see so many places boarded up that should be providing jobs. Now I see more places boarded up and if THIS guy can remove some of the plywood from the main drags of this country I'll be pleased.

Good Morning All. 37° and partly cloudy right now. Chance of rain again later today, but right now it's about 75 miles SE of here and moving east. Pleasant weather in store after that for the next ten days.
Continued with my wiring and track fastening yesterday. Soldering feeders has always been my weakest point and my least favorite aspect of the hobby, as I am lousy at soldering despite 35 years of attempts. However, Mel posted a video a few months ago that really helped my efforts. I still hate it, but have finally become a little better at it. Of course, it comes at a time that I am nearing the end of active track-laying! This will be my final layout, I think. Thanks Mel.

Garry - Have a safe trip.
Justin - Belated Happy Birthday to your wife.
Beady - The asbestos removal and floor drainage improvements will make a healthier and more pleasant train room. Hopefully there will be no other problems.
Curt - It is sort of a neighbor if you consider 16 miles away as a neighbor!!! And he is only 8 years old, so it is only on that level that we communicate. Hopefully, the train bug remains and there is a possibility that Mom & Dad take more interest. I did give them a flyer for the train show this coming weekend in Plano, a suburb of Dallas.
Greg - Crazy...Along the same lines, someone once gave me an older Athearn diesel that ran backwards. It took me a bit of time to realize that he had disassembled it and reversed the trucks when he put it back together, so the power feeds were reversed. Fixed that and still use the loco today.
Sherrel - Just three more days! I know that you have been keeping track as well as many others have been.

Everybody have a great day.

Willie

Morning, everyone. Hey, this new coffee shop looks nice! Even the rocks to sit on are nicer. 39 and overcast here in SW MO. The ice storm predicted for last Fri/Sat passed just north of here - we got rain while about 10 miles north of us got freezing rain or ice. Dodged the bullet on this one, but a number of folks had lines down and lost power.

Quick update: Last Wednesday I felt terrible. I left work after lunch and went home, but after sleeping for an hour I felt worse. I went to a clinic and they took my blood pressure and it was 213/110!!! They strongly suggested I get to the ER. So I picked up my wife from work and got to the ER at around 5 p.m. It took them over 5 hours to get my BP regulated. They released me at 11 p.m. I stayed home the next day (Thursday), and then our work was closed on Friday due to the icestorm - pretty much all of Springfield was closed down - then we had MLK day off work – so I was able to stay pretty much indoors and rest for the last 5 days!! All okay now. My father had BP and cardio probs, so I'm going to have to be really good from now on!! Wanta live at least long enough to start runnin' these trains!!! ;)

Was able to make some progress in the train room, working on perimeter scenery elevations, putting up background scenery, getting ready to lay roadbed. Next couple of weeks should see some real progress - will post photos.

Chet - Hope that "glacier" moves as slow as the real ones do :)
Eric - all of us are pullin' for ya!!

More later.
Johnny

Ray, don't forget to set the mth engine from smph to pwm as far as speed and motion. It makes it a lot easier to comsist them. I'm not at home, so I can't check for sure, but I think you set cv52 to 1.

Hey Toot, the MTH manual that comes with the loco shows how to do the long address. You can also look it up on line. It's pretty easy.

Oh yeah, don't worry, I was reading the manual, is a LOT different to the ones with my early PS3's. As I mentioned there seemed to be no requirement to cycle the power to "fix" the long address's change and I either missed the reference to using the default 3333 address to work from or it was not made clear. This was not a new loco so pretty sure it had been "messed with" prior and wasn't answering to it's extended long address. Once realised it was very easy to program. Wouldn't go from short address 3 to extended address. CV's 17 + 18 got no response when values were input.

Least it held it's extended address, not like one of my others that will program but lose it when powered off.

Good morning, 31 and cloudy. We had rain last night but at this temp not really much freezing.

They will be making Cars like they should have been doing all this time. Washing machines and stereo's, new high tech gadgets, decent affordable clothing, furniture, toys, shoes and all the things they YOUSTA make regionally instead of internationally!

I really did not care what the last guy did as long as I did not see so many places boarded up that should be providing jobs. Now I see more places boarded up and if THIS guy can remove some of the plywood from the main drags of this country I'll be pleased.

I share your sentiments. We need to give him a chance, too many voices predicting gloom and doom.

Morning Coffee Shop Dwellers.
It's heading up to around 66 they say today. Yesterday busted their predict with a high of 72. I did notice when I awakened this morning that the neighborhood was scraping frost off the auto windscreens.

Have a ton of "Honey doos" today, so better not hang around too long. The woman went nuts at the furniture store yesterday and now the monster has decided that she cannot bring new furniture in and place it on the "old" carpet. May GOD help me! Maybe she won the Power Ball and has just decided to get her licks in early -- NOT!

Willie I really began to think that I may die before "the One" left office! Now I actually think I may make it.

JOHNNY - Scary with the blood pressure. Gotta watch that man. I am having some trouble keeping mine on a level keel - I hope that you can do better. I think some of mine may be from SWMBO's constant bouncing off the walls.(as told above)
I'm glad the ice storm missed you ... those can be messy!

ERIC We are all pulling with you.

Detroit provided the motive power to enable the American rise after the second world war.

The country owes Detroit a great debt of gratitude.

You are not alone Sirfoldalot! Many of us have a "SWMBO" in common as well as MRR! LOL! When "they" get IDEAS others SUFFER and collateral damage is acceptable IF they even notice it! Oh well, you know the deal! "Happy Wife, HAPPY LIFE"!

Thinking of my good friend E
15873300_1425610024117032_7448481888391069740_n.jpg

A late good morning. Been busy and every time I go to post, the phone rings.

Eric - Sorry to hear that the treatment is beating you up, but like Sherrel says, we are all pulling for you.

Curt - Traveling around the country, I have noticed a number of different size RR crossing signs. The may appear a bit oversize, but they were the best that I could find.

Garry - Enjoy your trip to Arizona.

Karl - That's one nice looking locomotive. The compressor cover does look good.

Speaking about traveling around the country, I am going through a "rye bread" withdrawal. We can't find any decent, real rye bread out her in Montana at all. When we travel into the mid west or into the north east, we would stock up on Beefsteak Hearty Rye, take it home and and put it in the freezer. We sure got some strange looks going to the check out counter with a cart filled with bread. With our remodeling lasting through the past two summers, our traveling has been limited to a couple of bowling tournaments in Nevada, and it is not sold there either. I have been searching the internet trying to find a place where I could order a case and have it shipped out here. So far, no luck.

Catch you later

Last edited by a moderator:

Back