Running Bear's Coffee Shop LVI

Good morning All. Already at 80, humid and bright sun heating everything.. T/S's started early yesterday. Had 'puker off before 1300. Kept rumbling all 'round the compass.but didn't rain here.
Rick- Nice job! Are you going to patent it???
Willie- Looking good!
Corey- Hang tough, man.
Louis- Way to go.
Should get back up to 90 later with more boomers in store. Just another glorious day in Fla.

Phil

Good morning everybody.

Rick ... Your vacuum car looks impressive. I bet it does better than the Atlas track meaning car which has a small vacuum in it.

Willie ... I like the cigar store ! .... How often do you go the Dayton. .... One of our sons is in Cincinnati area with his wife and kids. So we go there often.

Louis ... Good to see you and the boys. ... Regarding ACA, government could have solved with pre-existing conditions problem (if they used their brains) without creating the ACA monstrosity. For every person better off, there must be 25 or more people who are worse off. Our son in Cincinnati is an example of those who are worse off. He was forced into ACA, a very bad program. His overall health insurance costs are much greater considering deductibles. None of their long time good doctors would accept it, so they did not keep their doctors as promised. Now they have not-so-good doctors. They pay for routine medical expenses themselves because of the high deductibles. ... Our son has his own business and he pays his self employment tax each year.

Chet ... I like your photo very much.

Corey ... I think you mentioned you want to make your own backdrops. You might find some You Tube vides to help out. Before painting some of my clouds, I watched about five videos on how to do it. Each of the artists had their own techniques, and I borrowed ideas from all of them.

Happy model railroading, everybody.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's 76,cool breeze, clear sky with BRIGHT MOON. Beautiful.

Won't go on about my problems as they don't compare with what others are going thru. I do ask for HIM to help those in need. That includes me.
Wish all pleasant dreams and mental peace.

Phil

Say, PHIL, I think that is the first time in months that I have seen you say it's cool? I did not know that the word was in your vocabulary?

Corey keep up the battle, it takes diligence each and every day. God bless you my friend!

Chet my boys are a gift from God, they mean the world to me. I never thought I could love anything more then my children, until I had my grandsons. On second thought not more, but different some how. I can't explain it, but you have grandchildren so you know what I mean.

Thank you Phil, I can't leave them to chance.

Garry my sister was my accountant and she always advised me to pay the SS tax, but I was/am a hard head and refused to give the government a dime more then I had to. I bought stock instead, I wish I had bought more Microsoft stock! I can't complain, I am doing ok. From what I hear about Social Security disability it don't provide much anyway. I am probably better off.

As for the ACA; I think the government should remove the burden from small business and have a single payer system. If people want something better let them buy it. I never liked one doctor over another, they are all just practicing.

If the government would stop burdening business with health care and crazy tax codes they would solve all of our problems. A flat tax and no health care costs for business would help by employing tax payers. The government would have more money than they knew what to do with. :) They will find a way to spend it all.

The burden of health insurance was why I never expanded my business to hire employees. I used contractors when I got too busy to do all the work myself. Our old miserable excuse for health care hurt the economy. I looked into buying a retail service center that I estimated would have needed about 80 full time people, but I did not because of health care. I was not willing to pay low or minimum wages to pay for health care. I don't know enough about the ACA to know if it is any better.

I liked the Idea the first President George Bush had, but he did not win the election. Don't blame me, I voted for him! I admired him so much, no flash just hard work. Why do people get suckered into believing charismatic people? Charisma, promises and exciting speeches don't get shit done!

I'm just glad now I can be on my wife's insurance. They make a profit on me, but it does give me peace of mind. I take 11 pills a day and they cost me less then $5 per month because I only have to pay 20%. I tell the doctors "if there is not a generic, don't prescribe it for me" I only want medicines that have been on the market for years. Let some other guy be the guinea pig. I get one free check up a year so all I end up paying for is 1 or 2 visits. The Kidney doctor is pretty expensive though. All in all I save a good a bit compared to no insurance, but the insurance premiums eat up the savings and more. I figure I pay for peace of mind.

Hospitals ate away at my savings and investments fast! I could take a first class world tour for what I paid for each extended hospital stay with no insurance. If I had not gotten sick I could have spent some really serious money on trains, but I would not have had time to enjoy them when I was working.

Like I said my whining and complaining won't help me. I thank God for everything. I can't work because of my chronic conditions, but on the other hand I have time for my boys. Thank God for my conditions, its a fair trade in my book. I am the happiest man in the world!

Now for an update on my boys; when I explained to them why I was upset with their lack of respect they both put down their heads and almost simultaneously said "I am sorry pop/poppy (one calls me pop and the other calls me poppy) I was so impressed I did not make them sweep the basement, we just did it yesterday. They have been busying playing all morning as I dosed off and on resting on the couch. Now I feel better and they are happy puppies. They still have to help me with laundry and dinner :) no free rides!

LOUIS I really admire most, if not all, of your traits. I certainly would like to send you these two boys. I hate to talk about my grandsons, but they happen to be the WORST TWO KIDS THAT THE LORD EVER CREATED! My wife's daughter has taken them this morning to a local hands on children's play place and this afternoon when her son gets off school early Wednesday - they are planning a trip to the beach. My natural daughter, whose kids they are and the AA person I mentioned, has - along with her dysfunctional husband - left them with ZERO communication skills and the absolute worse table manners of anyone I have seen (laying down in their chair at the table, feet up in the chair, eating with their hands, wiping hands on clothes, spilling anything they touch); My dogs actually have better manners than they do! My wife and I are both pissed to no end. I knew they were bad from two years ago and the day we spent at Tahoe a little over a year ago. I couldn't understand my ex's complaining about them until I have witnessed it for myself. Nuff bout that for now.

LOUIS, I don't understand how you were able to "escape" paying SS taxes. Please explain? I always thought it was on earned income - no matter the source.

Sherrel believe it or not sometimes I felt the same way about my boys. Kids are always testing boundaries and if they find a hole in the fence they charge straight through. The youngest grew up under my roof and he knows the rules. The oldest had to be reminded from time to time. Sometimes when they are together they get nuts! Its the Mob mentality, yes my 2 boys can be a Mob!

I am sorry to hear about your grandsons. Keep them with you if that is possible and they will tow the line once they know the rules. You can send them to me, but my price is steep :) and they will hate me and you at first.

When you are self-employed you don't have to pay SS income tax on yourself. I paid it for my ex-wife, but not for me. At least that is how it was when I last filled taxes as self-employed.

I wish my sister was here to explain it better, but complications from leukemia took her from me. I just used the software she always used to do my taxes after she was gone. I never got audited so I suppose it was ok.

I am no accountant, I am not at expert at anything except for how to make a profit. I will be learning more about the new tax code because I have committed to helping my son and his wife start a small business. Why can't I ever say no?

LOUIS- Be careful ! Remember- NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED !!!

Phil

ps- it's now 92 and clouds are starting to come in from the east. It will storm later.

Phil, don't I know it, but I am truly a hard head and I've never learned to say no to my kids!

Sherrel I have to tell you this; I left my boys and their friend upstairs in the kitchen eating lunch. I heard all these footsteps, I went up and after they finished lunch they were running around the table grabbing goldfish crackers as they passed. Boys will be boys!

Afternoon All,

Thunderstorms have already come through, but I don't know if another front will be through today. Today I did a good cleaning on all my TT trackage. It was pretty bad. I also found a bad solder on a track in the small engine house (resoldered it) and replaced a burned out building light.

On the home front I plastered some spots in the bird room (damn birds). Tomorrow I plan on sanding and painting them. I also went to Lowes and got some PVC pipes for MOH. I cut them down so when the 90 degree curves are put on there will be a 92" x 9" rectangle. I only know she said she needed it for her quilting machine. Tomorrow MOH is volunteering at the school again.

Chet- Great scene.

Sherrel- Believe it or not, I have never had track that bad before. Please don't take my modeling license. :rolleyes: Both of our grandsons are adopted (3 years ago). When they first came to the family they had almost no previous consistent discipline and they had almost no emotional self control. It has got a lot better but there is still a long way to go. MOH and I are a lot stricter than daughter and husband, despite that they are always ready to spend time with Grandma and Grandpa.

Mel- Great work. I look forward to seeing more progress photos.

Ken- Do you have a picture of the auto industry with the working signal lights?

Willie- Great looking buildings. The signage is outstanding.

Louis- I think way too many parents try to be friends and not parents.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Been putting out fires all day here at work. More like a Monday. Think it's time to get the heck out of here.

Curt - Sounds like you're making headway on the turntable. When are you going to send some photos?

Here's a photo of a Milwaukee Road Alco S-2 pulling a box car out from an industry.

IMAG0637.jpg

Catch you later. The dogs have to pee and poop.

Thanks to all for the words of encouragement!

Sometimes, I guess, we think that we are the only ones with life's problems. So glad to hear that I am not all by myself .. just wish that life was a little more like: 'Leave it to Beaver' and not like a Chevy Chase movie .. LoL.

Really neat photo, CHET! I very nice perspective on the shot.

Thanks, LOUIS, for the explanation on the with-holding of SS taxes.

Wonder how ERICmade out today?

I think the world is coming to an end -- just as it says in Revelation! OR, as my Aunt used to say: "It's got all burnt up!"

Good evening Everybody, I sure am learning a lot about trains themselves in the process of trying to learn more about this hobby. I had no idea sand was ever any part of running a train. And I can't seem to find a picture I'm looking for, on the front of my loco, ( it's an HO scale so lots of detail but probably not every detail) there are two "bumps" on the front. It's an emd gp40, are those supposed to be lights? If they are I might try to get them to look a little more like lenses. By the way hope Everyone had a good day!

Greg

Good evening Everybody, I sure am learning a lot about trains themselves in the process of trying to learn more about this hobby. I had no idea sand was ever any part of running a train. And I can't seem to find a picture I'm looking for, on the front of my loco, ( it's an HO scale so lots of detail but probably not every detail) there are two "bumps" on the front. It's an emd gp40, are those supposed to be lights? If they are I might try to get them to look a little more like lenses. By the way hope Everyone had a good day!

Greg

Some of these might just know more about the real deals than the models. You are certainly asking the right crowd.
My guess is you are talking about the ditch lights.

Wikipedia is a surprisingly good source to look things up:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMD_GP40-2

I might also suggest a couple good picture books.
I have these 2:
"GE and EMD Locomotives: The Illustrated History" by Brian Solomon
"Locomotives: The Modern Diesel & Electric Reference" by Greg McDonnell

E

Greg
Greg, are the lights in the upper corners of the nose, on the body? Or are they mounted either on or just below the walkway?

Some of these might just know more about the real deals than the models. You are certainly asking the right crowd.

I have these 2:

Eric,They must be ditch lights, and some models actually light I see. And thanks a book sounds interesting. And there will be steam at some point on this railroad, know of any good books about them? Probably a million of them.

I have these 2:

Eric,They must be ditch lights, and some models actually light I see. And thanks a book sounds interesting. And there will be steam at some point on this railroad, know of any good books about them? Probably a million of them.

I have a few engines where the ditch lights work. They aren't hard to find.
I don't have any steamers so I can't help with a book.
These other fellers dam sure can!!!
Good luck.
E

Terry, They are on the nose, I haven't seen a picture of them exactly there though. Some are lower or even below the walkway like you said. But this isn't the place for nitpicking. I have to say when I see your avatar it reminds me of the show and with that, two model trains crashing head on.

Well, have a good night Everybody

Back