Running Bear's Coffee Shop LIV

Ken .... Sure glad you were quick thinking. They got me several years ago - I 'clicked' on the close button which was set to automaticly download only God knows what. I quickly unplugged the cable and turned off the computer. Next day I took it to Geek store about 1/4 mile down the road ... they told me that my actions had prevented any infection and damage. Nowdays, I am even hesitant to open some attachments that I get forwarded from even my friends. Lately I have received some that I do not recognize the extension - so I just pass on them ... Probably some Win10 new thing that I'm not familiar with.

Glad to hear that you have good success getting things to work .. keep it up!

Good evening.

David: Boris is fine, so is (Crabby) Joe. I answer to both. I cannot comment on the article, as I don't normally read Trains Magazine. I limit myself to print subscriptions of Model Railroader, Railroad Model craftsman, and the E- magazine Model Railroad Hobbyist, plus a few Society quarterly and their model magazines. However, the crews pretty much know the locations where they might encounter problems, so they help themselves and each other by dropping of replacement parts at strategic locations. Some really strange and inexpiable things happen out on the railroad.

Ok than, Boris it is: I don't actually have a subscription to, Trains, either, my friend Joe who doesn't live too far away, 25 miles to be exac brought them over I was supposed to give them back to him and he's been over recently twice help me weed eat my place and I forgot both times to give them to him. Well I was able to reread the article which said about what you said above about the crew dropping parts of at strategic locations in case something did happen.

It would be interesting to hear some of the tales or happenings, if I'm not being too facetious in asking, as I think you were basically saying, things that can't be explained? That should be rather interesting reading but it also might be rather difficult to explain too? Are you possible talking about a premonition of something about to happen that maybe flashed through your mind?

Morning Gents,
70 and partly cloudy this morning heading to 94.
Not too bad of a headache this morning.
Only had less than a 1/2 can of beer.
Pain isn't all that terrible but I'll go ahead and fill that scrip soon as they open.
Got to go to the bank to get some cash for the neighbor who took me and waited for me.
He didn't ask for any money but I'm going to drop a C-note on him. It was worth it to me!!

I forgot to mention that after the teeth were all out, I was just sitting there pondering what would happen if the power should go off right in the middle of all that.
I swear it wasn't about 5 minutes later while chatting up the chick that the power did in fact go out!!!
They have backup generators so it pretty much came right back on.
E.

Good morning. It's partly cloudy and 79.
The calls from "tech support" have tapered off to the "annoyance level 2" level, so I think I'll hold off on changing my number. Nearly everybody I know has been getting them at about the same frequency I now have.

...Louis The bad news is that Boston is beating up on Minnesota as I write. Tillman is the Os only reliable starter IMHO. Speaking of starters Strasborg got beaten up a bit today, for his first loss of the season...

That leaves us still a half game back, but there is a lot of baseball yet to play. As usual your opinion is right on target. The birds' glaring weakness is starting pitching. Gausman has pitched well enough to win most of his games, but he has had no run support. Beyond those two there has been no consistency. The young guys; Wilson and Wright have good stuff, but the have lost their confidence. I would send them both down to get it back. Gallardo has been a disappointment, he has done nothing to give me hope for him. Worley might be a 4 or 5 guy, but I like him best as a long man out of the bullpen. We have nothing in AAA and maybe less in AA to help us out.

I have hope, pitching is weak throughout most of the league. If we can stay close and get Wilson and or Wright on back on track we can win this division. Both Wilson and Wright get nervous and over throw. It's obvious because when they get runners in scoring position they fall off the mound with each pitch. Then they get behind in the count. Every big league hitter is a good cripple hitter, you can't pitch from behind in the count in the big leagues.

I don't expect Boston to keep hitting like they have. They have too many guys having abnormally productive years to keep it up. Sooner or later Big Papi will show his age. Another factor against the Sox is Hanley Ramirez, that guy is a blight on every team he has played for. He has a bad attitude, he is lazy and even though he is a good hitter he can't catch a cold. He hasn't done much hitting this year and I am waiting for him to melt down.

Another reason to hope; Dylan Bundy, I expect him to do well and he is in the rotation now. The birds are also shopping for a starter before the trade deadline.

Three good starters is all you need in the playoffs. If the young guys can get it together we could make a run. Maybe they will do like the young Orioles' did in 1966 and play their best at the end. We just have to hang on and make the playoffs.

very-good-excellent-1967-orioles-win-4th-straight-1963world-series-card-154_142059854808.jpg

Strasbourg is a horse! I have never been a big fan of strike out pitchers, but he is one of the especial few. Even last night he struck out 10 in 6 innings. 13-1 is not too shabby. The question with every strike out pitcher is how long can they last. As you well know baseball is a marathon.

I don't know what will happen, but it will be fun to watch!

Good Friday Morning Everyone. It's a pleasant 73° and clear this morning here in North Central Texas. Went up to 95° yesterday, predicting triple digits for today...the weathermen have been wrong about that a number of times this summer. Nursing two very sore arms since yesterday, I was doing my kitchen cabinet overhaul project and I went to the barn to retrieve some insulation. I moved a cardboard carton out of the way unaware of a yellow jacket nest attached to the underside and ended up with at least 8 stings. Ouch! Some "Hot Shot" spray took care of the problem afterward.
40+ posts in the Coffee Shop yesterday, guess it's too hot everywhere to be outside. LOL I did do some more ballasting yesterday. That's about it since I was processing vegetables for a while.
Eric - Great news! Now just nurse the mouth for a few days before eating that steak. Regardless of anything else, take the meds.
David - In the case of the broken coupler being on the "orphaned cars, they set the coupler on the crossover walkway of the trailing car and give it a lift back. If it wasn't uncoupled, it was a moot point.
Joe - An oldtimer told me 40 years ago to always plant a little extra for the critters and Mother Nature. I seem to plant weeds as well...they do best!
Louis - Someone reported here a few months back that Carey was having health issues. I do miss his posts as he is very knowledgeable. Keep those B & O museum pictures coming.
Ken - I love it when I test trains without incident on newly laid track, I'm sure you love it too. Good luck with your op-session.

OK, it's tomato picking time, see everyone later. Have an awesome day.

Willie

Good morning. Starting the day off at 58 degrees. It's supposed to get quite wimdy as a cold front moves in this afternoon. Tomorrow the high is only supposed to get to near 80.

Eric - I am so glad for you that you finally got your mouth problem handled. Hopefully it's not premature, but lets have a happy dance over it.
happy-elmo-smiley-emoticon.gif It's about time. Once the healing is over, you can finally enjoy a nice steak. I imagine that it has been quite a while.

I am starting to figure out Windows 10, but I do still prefer Win 7. i have a second monitor now which does make things a bit easier. I usually have at least a minimum of 8 programs up at one time and it does save some time but I have to get used to items sometimes popping up on a different screen than I ma working on. Guess it will keep me on my toes.

Catch you later.

Good morning, 72 and heading for 90 today. Funny how one gets used to the heat after a couple days. It helps that we have an old fashioned open air porch and some huge shade trees on the south side of the house.

everyone have a great day!

Garry I failed to mention this yesterday; when you are ready to go the B&O museum stop by and have some home made Maryland crab cakes, then if it's ok I will go to the museum with you and we can walk off those crab cakes. :) My Hungarian wife makes the best Maryland crab cakes I have ever had and I have had to have had thousands! She loves MD style seafood and so do I!

Had a bit of unwanted excitement Wednesday night: While I was out in the trainroom, MOH was using my laptop to visit her social websites. She got distracted by one of those photo gallery links with a provocative title, and while there, she got a pop-up message warning that she "better not close the browser or you'll lose ALL your data!" Rather than coming to tell me about it, she called the bogus number on the popup dialog thinking it was tech support. [She's computer-illiterate and proud of it :rolleyes:] Thankfully she did NOT have the administrator password! She came out to the trainroom to ask me for it, and then I made a beeline upstairs, hung up the phone and popped the battery out of the laptop before any further damage could be done.

The computer took an incredibly long time to reboot, so I knew it was infected. Luckily I have Geek Squad coverage so I was able to just let them clean up the mess while I went to bed. Everything appears to be back to normal as of this morning. I do hope MOH has finally learned her lesson about "click-baiting"..!:mad:

In other mrr news: I got all the trains staged for the op session, and I "acid tested" my automobile plant train - running three fully-loaded auto racks along with the other cars thru crossovers and over the entire length of the main line, near the front of the train as well as toward the rear (to test for stringlining). No derailments, separations or other mishaps!:cool: Conventional wisdom is that one can only run 89ft cars on 42" radius or broader curves; my minimum main line radius is 30". So I wanted to make doubly-sure this was doable.

Ken well done handling the computer and for passing you acid test. I would enjoy seeing some pictures if and when you have time. I love auto racks!

Morning Gents,
70 and partly cloudy this morning heading to 94.
Not too bad of a headache this morning.
Only had less than a 1/2 can of beer.
Pain isn't all that terrible but I'll go ahead and fill that scrip soon as they open.
Got to go to the bank to get some cash for the neighbor who took me and waited for me.
He didn't ask for any money but I'm going to drop a C-note on him. It was worth it to me!!

I forgot to mention that after the teeth were all out, I was just sitting there pondering what would happen if the power should go off right in the middle of all that.
I swear it wasn't about 5 minutes later while chatting up the chick that the power did in fact go out!!!
They have backup generators so it pretty much came right back on.
E.

E you feel like a new man, but I see you are the same old E :) Thank God for that! I tried to send you a PM but your inbox is full. Let me know when I can resend it.

The calls from "tech support" have tapered off to the "annoyance level 2" level, so I think I'll hold off on changing my number. Nearly everybody I know has been getting them at about the same frequency I now have.

Terry I get them too. I don't pay no mind to them. I can hang up the phone quicker then I picked it up. I don't know how they are getting away with this blatant fraud.

I am off to the grocery store to get lunch and dinner for my boys! They eat like horses!

Have a great day everybody!

PS if I missed anybody in my haste forgive me.

TERRY .. Are you referring to the Windows Tech Support? If so, I get a call 2-3 times a week. I just tell them that I don't have a computer. Has NOT seemed to work!

I knew it would happen!
A week or so back, I was talking about the fact that the temps have been mild so far but that we would pay later on.
WHEW! 104 yesterday - 105 today. Going to have to change my operation and walk the dogs early morning. It's too hot for their little paws after about 10 O'clock in the morning.

So glad that Eric seems to finally have some relief. Not sure how he is going to enjoy that steak without teeth, but I'm sure that he will let us hear about it.

CA DAVE Sorry that I have not returned your call. Just been busy and then late at night just tired and don't feel like a long winded conversation with anyone. Try to get you eariler on while I have energy.

Don't know if anyone cares, but another fine thread on Ken's Birmingham Layout. Lots of photos and the detail is superb.

http://www.frisco.org/shipit/index.php?threads/birmingham-alabama-and-environs.7123/

Hope that you enjoy it! If youn guys don't want me posting links to things like this - please advise .. OK!

TERRY .. Are you referring to the Windows Tech Support? If so, I get a call 2-3 times a week. I just tell them that I don't have a computer. Has NOT seemed to work!

Sherrel and Terry .... We get those calls but not that often. Sometimes I bait the caller a bit pretending like I'm interested. Then I ask why I would have problems with Windows on the Apple computer. Some of the callers are so ignorant they do not know Apple's have their own operating system.

Ken .... You were saying you are modeling the area near Cleveland which is flat. I'm modeling the Burlington which is almost entirely in flat country. However, my Model Railroader's License permits rock strata to accommodate different levels on the layout. The real CB&Q had very few tunnels especially curved, double track tunnels under farm fields. ....... But I do ! .... :rolleyes:

Louis ... Thanks. I'll keep it in mind. It's ha been a while since we visited relatives on the East Coast. I recall air fares to Baltimore were lower than Philadelphia or DC.

Happy Model Railroading, everybody !

...Louis - Someone reported here a few months back that Carey was having health issues. I do miss his posts as he is very knowledgeable. Keep those B & O museum pictures coming.

Thank you Willie I knew he had been having some complications form his health problems before I went AWOL. I was hoping he was just busy. Carey is a nationally renowned modeler.

I love the B&O Museum. I can't walk very far and they have the bench's spaced out perfectly for me. :)

I love tomatoes!!! It the only fruit I enjoy. I'll choose Esskay bologna, lettuce, lots of tomato and mayonnaise on Schmidt's blue ribbon bread over a steak any day of the week and twice on Sunday! A salt shaker and a basket of tomatoes is good enough for me.

...Don't know if anyone cares, but another fine thread on Ken's Birmingham Layout. Lots of photos and the detail is superb.

http://www.frisco.org/shipit/index.php?threads/birmingham-alabama-and-environs.7123/

Hope that you enjoy it! If youn guys don't want me posting links to things like this - please advise .. OK!

Great link, keep them coming! If you have any complaints refer them to me. I'll volunteer to be the complaint department. As long as nobody questions my methods ;)

Louis: inbox is now empty.

PM sent

...Louis ... Thanks. I'll keep it in mind. It's ha been a while since we visited relatives on the East Coast. I recall air fares to Baltimore were lower than Philadelphia or DC.

Baltimore is and always has been cheap! When I worked for Firestone our national advertising department had advertising that was only for Baltimore with the lowest prices in the country. If you stay out of the hmm... "highbrow" neighborhoods the cost of living in Baltimore is very low compared to other places.

Be careful in the heat everybody. I had three minor heat stokes and trust me they are no fun!

Here is an old picture of Canton. Now it's a highbrow neighborhood! If I had only known, like if I had been smart enough to buy more Microsoft stock. Oh well my bank accounts are not that big but I am the richest man in the world :) Family and friends are my real treasure.
1931506_10208709899531730_8048154960279377424_n.jpg

I knew it would happen!
A week or so back, I was talking about the fact that the temps have been mild so far but that we would pay later on.
WHEW! 104 yesterday - 105 today. Going to have to change my operation and walk the dogs early morning. It's too hot for their little paws after about 10 O'clock in the morning.

So glad that Eric seems to finally have some relief. Not sure how he is going to enjoy that steak without teeth, but I'm sure that he will let us hear about it.

CA DAVE Sorry that I have not returned your call. Just been busy and then late at night just tired and don't feel like a long winded conversation with anyone. Try to get you eariler on while I have energy.

Don't know if anyone cares, but another fine thread on Ken's Birmingham Layout. Lots of photos and the detail is superb.

Say, Sherrel: That's Ok, seems we all get pulled in different directions at various times so it's understandable.

Back