Running Bear's Coffee Shop LIV

Joe, I wish I had known about the car disposal, I could have mae an offer on it. 40k miles is a lot less than what the one we ended up with has.

Here are my Bachmann trolleys on my layout ... I believe they will look better after I install the overhead wires, but cleaning the rails will then be challenging with poles in the way of my clumsy hands.

Streetcars.jpg

Late to the discussion on this one. I like the Bachmann Peter Witt cars. I think the Bowser PCC's are a little better if you intend to have functioning overhead wire. Do you? If so, I would change out the Bachmann trolley pole for the Bowser pole. It will fit with some minor work (I did it when I reviewed this car for Model Railroad News). I'll be glad to forward you information on how to do it if you're interested. If you do plan on live overhead, you'll want to also add a jumper so that both sides of the axles pick up power. Both rails positive, pole negative, or vice versa, I can't remember at the moment :eek:

Another Terry's Safety Tip:
Even though Leah & Perrin's Low Sodium Worcestershire Sauce has the same size, shape, bottle color, label shape and color, and even color of contents as Not Your Father's Root Beer, it is not the same.

Not even close..

You're welcome.

Heading to the kitchen now, to spray Easy Off on my tongue...

Good afternoon fellas!

55 hour work week just about got me last week, so yesterday the kids came up and we spent the day with the 5 month old in the pool. He kicks, he splashes and has a great, fearless time in the water. He really loves being in the water, either on his floaty or whoever is holding onto him. He holds onto nobody!

20160709_180018.jpg

Yard work is done now, nothing else on the agenda for today.

Terry. I can laugh because I did something equally as goofy one morning. Stumbling into the bathroom one morning, I wet my toothbrush, opened the cabinet and promptly put Right Guard gel on my toothbrush. :p yech! Now I wait til after the shower before I brush my teeth....I'm more awake then!!:rolleyes:

About the ümlaüts Real easy to do, just visit HERE for them, and lots of other crazy signs © ♣ ♠♫ ♀ ♂

Garry I love the trolleys. I've got quite a few Mehano & Bachmann trolleys, but an old cast metal Bowser outperforms them all.

L8ter gang, gotta go shopping on the Bay for some parts.

umlauts from the ASCII table....
They may be generated by holding down the ALT key and entering a 3 digit code on the numeric keypad.
(this is on PC keyboards, not Macs or other dives)

Alt+129 = ü
Alt+132 = ä
Alt+137 = ë
Alt+142 = Ä
Alt+148 = ö
Alt+152 = ÿ
Alt+153 = Ö
Alt+154 = Ü

Afternoon All,

Did some chores this morning. Once again it is hot as Hades here. It seems to rain in the evenings now but that doesn't help with the day time temps. When I first moved here in 1995 it would rain everyday (summer) at 2 pm like clockwork but it's not like that anymore.

It doesn't sound like the rescue is going to happen. We got the story last night from the person in charge of the FL Skunk Rescue. Evidently the young skunk had a GI infection causing diarrhea. The skunk has recovered so the owner wants to keep him. It kind off pisses me off that just because the animal had diarrhea you want to get rid of it? Unbelievable!

Today I reached a MRR milestone. I did my first DCC project. Before you think I did more than I did, The loco already had the Bachmann DCC installed, so each truck already had a power lead and I did not have to isolate the motor for DCC. I cut off the Bachmann board and soldered on the Digitrax decoder. First I tested movement then attached the lighting leads and tested. I added weight and put the shell back on. Of course I put the shell on backwards so I had to remove and turn the shell around (GE 44T). I verified everything worked like it should on 03. I had some issues getting the loco to accept the 4 digit address, but after 3 tries it was accepted. I played with CV2, CV5, and CV6 until I got what I wanted. As a final test I did a lap of the layout forward and in reverse with no hesitation. It also pulled 6 cars without issue. I now have a nice running loco.:D

CA David- It sounds like you have a great neighbor.

Terry- I will keep that in mind LOL.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Good evening ....

Thanks everybody who chimed in on the discussion of streetcars.... It is still a long way off and things change over time. However, I am thinking of nonfunctioning trolley wires even though the Bachmann streetcars have a toggle to enable power from the trolley poll.

Joe, You mentioned the Bachmann gas electric car. I have one which I upgraded with the NWSL power track. I highly recommend that. My doodle bug is now a reliable, smooth runner.

doodw2110_zps06049a3c.jpg

Good morning Everybody!

it's 72 with 57% humidity under clear skies in southeast Baltimore

Have a great day everybody!

Louis: Birds gotta win today or dem otter boids from Toronto will catch 'em. Have you tried this blog site?

http://www.camdenchat.com/

As you may have gathered, it's dedicated to all things Orioles.

Boris the birds came through for us! It's much better to go into the All Star break in first place!

I have not seen that blog, thank you. To be honest I have not even listened to the local radio sports talk shows. I gave up on them after Rex Barney left the air. He was a brilliant moderator of the hmm... how do I say it "less than knowledgeable", ultra critical fans that dominate the airwaves.

I can't stand to listen to those type of fans and today's show hosts fuel and even start the fires rather that to spread the truth. Fans like that ran Eddie Murray out of town. Eddie was as smooth as silk and cool as a cucumber. Only Hank Aaron was more consistent. Eddie never showed any intensity, except when running the bases. He made everything look easy. Loud mouth, know it all fans branded him as lazy! It was not his fault the pitching staff was terrible in 1988.

It reminds me of what Winston Churchill said "The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." Politics or sports it can b the same. misinformation and one line sound bites.

... yesterday the kids came up and we spent the day with the 5 month old in the pool. He kicks, he splashes and has a great, fearless time in the water. He really loves being in the water, either on his floaty or whoever is holding onto him. He holds onto nobody!

View attachment 57770
Karl that is a great picture, thanks for sharing it, I really enjoyed seeing it! He sounds like my kind of guy!

Good morning. 60° and clear.

Karl: Those little people really take to water and other fun" things. Hard to keep up with them :eek:.
Louis: Know what ya mean. I occasionally listen to the "all knowing" on 66 the Fan. These people spend their entire day living sports fantasys, but know nothing. I found the Orioles site following a link from the N Devils site I follow. There are links to every sports team imaginable. Fan comments are either annoying or amusing.
Garry: Looks good. I suspect NWSL has a solution for every problem.
Curt: Congratulations, on the successful completion of your first DCC project.Which decoder did you use as a replacement?
Terry: Excluding the logistics, I know nothing about the condition of the MILs car, other than it has oil in it. She used to take it to the dealer for maintenance, then her neighbor persuaded her he could do it for her instead, (for the same price). I do not have a favorable impression of his other work...so the option was a donation (most likely go to auction) or scrap it. We chose charity.

I'm still working on the freight house, and did extend the main track further, for now. Advantage of Micro Engineering flex is once curved, it holds the curve instead of straightening out, so I can experiment without nailing everything down. Really have to find time to assemble the remaining bench work, and actually start building.

Good Morning One and All. Temperature and humidity are both the same this morning at 78, under clear skies. Speaking of track-cleaning, I have tried many things, Centerline car, homemade masonite car, Woodland Scenics Tidy Track, an old Walthers car with an alcohol fed felt pad, hand-held vacuum and Wahl's clipper oil. All work to some varying degree but I have found that frequent running of trains works the best. As a preventative, I do run a cleaning train about once a year, and I do have the Woodland Scenics "Dust Monkeys" attached to all 14 of my cabooses. My bigger problem is those tiny spiders that leave cobwebs everywhere. I have to regularly clean off the snowplows with a soft paintbrush.
Took it easy outdoors yesterday, due to the rain Saturday, but still cut and stacked a little firewood after Mass. Made and froze some more spaghetti sauce with my tomato/onion/bell pepper crops after lunch. Today I will make and can some salsa.
In the train shed, I just puttered about and ran trains. Did some minor scenery and painted some more people.
Phil - Grammar, social studies, computer maintenance, and weather reports. We have it all, don't we? Oh, and Chet and Terry sometimes give us car maintenance as well. Terry also gives us safety tips too. Root Beer/Worcestershire distinction!!!
Karl - Grandkids and pools are great fun together.
Curt - Too bad about the rescue. At least you didn't make the trip before knowing.
Louis - Love that Winston Churchill quote, it's one of my favorites.

This week is the one year anniversary of my retirement. Loving every minute of it. I have learned to do some new stuff, like sleeping eight hours every night! Minus those bathroom breaks of course. Still get up around 4:15 or so, but I do like that time of day. I have kicked my wife out of the kitchen since she has complained about cooking for over 40 years, and now she begs to get back in...go figure. I actually always cooked 2-3 times a week all along. I consider meals to be a work of art, she considers them to be chores.
Gotta go for my walk now, everyone have a great day.

Willie

Eric, break a leg...

Joe, I have already gotten a car for my wife to use, I was more commenting on the low mileage of that one. I am all too familiar with cars and other things that have been jacked up by well-meaning (or otherwise) friends and neighbors...

Good morning ...

Has Sherrell been here lately? I don't recall any posts from him recently.

Eric .. I hope the appointment goes well for you.

Willie ... Congrats on the anniversary of retirement.

Happy Model Railroading, everybody.

ERIC- Best wishes .

WILLIE- Good thing you have a GREAT HOBBY. Keep you from going nuts.

Had to shut down 'puker yesterday as area completely surrounded by T/S's , yet not a drop fell nearby. Outlook for today- same-o, same-o. High heat and humid.

Phil

Good morning all. Starting the day off at46 degrees with light rain. Must have rained most of the night. Even had to put on a light jacket when coming to work.

Eric - Hope things work out for you at the dentist. Good Luck.

Joe - Looking forward to seeing yout project. I only have a little experoence with ME flex track. It does hold its postition when curves, but I found that to get a consistant radius, the it took a lot of work. I ended up using what I had in a yard in straight sections.

Karl - Looks like the little one was having a blast. It's good that there is no fear of the water.

It did cler up for a few hours yesterday and my son and I went to the range and put a few rounds through my new toy.

20160709_200546.jpeg Nice rifle, but I am sure that the government has me targeted. I have a few other rifles that can be considered assault rifles, and have had them for years. I am a gun collectoand have been since before I was a cop. Can't believe how expensive it can be to get some target practice in. I like shooting my old service revolver, a model 66 .357 mag. Found some old boxes that I keep my old brass in and one price tag from Woolworths was $4.95 for 50 rounds.

Didn't realize what shirt I was wearing when my son took this shot.

IMAG0784.jpg

Now I have to try to catch up on all the posts I may have missed over the weekend only having TapTalk available.

I did get to run trains for a while after we were rained out at the firing range. It was nice to get to spend some time in the train room.

Have a good one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning, 64 and cloudy, light rain.

Eric--Good luck with the teeth.

Chet--I doubt if ISIS would show their faces in Montana. You kind of have a "reputation".

my trailers finally showed up in the mail last week:

bin2 011.jpg

have a great day all!

GARRY .. Thanks for noticing! Dropped my phone and broke it - Computer was getting a workover from my wife's nephew (he is free, good, but slow -- and that's OK). With the 11-12 hour days that includes commuting, I will give him the 'slow' part. I can see that I have about a week's reading to catch up on, and that is just the Coffee Shop!

It's been beautiful weather here lately. 84-86 highs and clear as can be.

Just came upon this beautiful photo. It's a former Frisco GP-38-2 #430 all covered with BNSF graffiti !!

Nice gun, Chet!

Got to go check my Worcestershire now.

2285.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well.....
The dentist gave up and sent me straight to the oral surgeon.
They got me right in pretty much.
Had a lengthy consultation with the Dr.
He wanted to do surgery - TODAY.
He was going to have to put me completely out which, by federal law, requires that someone be there on my behalf.
Regardless of that, he said we'd figure something and that I really needed this done today. He was adamant about that. It was expected to take around an hour and a half. I'm all good with that.
As soon as he leaves the room to let me try to make arrangements, his office beeches come in to discuss money.
I guess they all think we all have stellar insurance - in my case none.
100% payment right now otherwise no work gets done.
At $2277 that just ain't happening today.
I told them to let the Dr. know and left ... for my 3 mile walk home.
Talk about PO'ed!!!
Just when I thought there might be some relief in sight!!!
Apparently things are worse than the regular dentist talked - but I suspected. Nothing ever goes easy for me.
4 (yes, four) teeth need to go. He was prepared to do it today while I was there.

The 3 mile walk home gave me plenty of time to think about things and get really wound up.
For now, I'm at a loss and quite upset.
For the moment I'm having this feeling that I'm just plain f...d.

Nice gun Chet. What cal. was that?
E

Back