Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXI

Good morning all, it is a beautiful sunny spring morning in Northern MN.

I snapped a couple photos of the new and final landscaping area of my layout last night, here is an early morning shot:

contest 013.jpg

Good evening. It's clear and 68.

It was a slow ride to and from work today. Everyone was doing 1mph under the speed limit because of our state's crackdown on people only doing a mile or two over the limit. I think it may be a type of alternative revenue generation, but I can't prove it.
One of my co-workers was cited for doing 2mph over the limit, at the bottom of a hill...

I seem to remember an article from a few years ago....apparently car speedometers are only accurate to +/- 5 mph and that the manufactureres acknowledge that. If that is the case it would seem to me that one has a legal argument to have any ticket concerning speeding within 5mph of the posted speed thrown out on those grounds.

Good morning. 45° an sunny. It's still quite windy, this morning.

Yesterday, I ran my first train movement on my permanent Code 70 main track - all 5' of it :rolleyes:. Now to find my long drill bit... I actually have 11' of flex down along with a #6 crossover. I also have the bulk of the Kato track packed away, so I can continue working with the Code 70 flex.

I seem to remember an article from a few years ago....apparently car speedometers are only accurate to +/- 5 mph and that the manufactureres acknowledge that. If that is the case it would seem to me that one has a legal argument to have any ticket concerning speeding within 5mph of the posted speed thrown out on those grounds.

Most likely, this "strict" enforcement campaign will run its course in a matter of weeks and things will return to normal. The other side of the coin is that drivers are not following any of the common rules of the road any more. it's very common to see drivers blowing through stop signs, on a daily basis. Even red lights are ignored. It's a get outta the way! Here I come attitude, and that's where the enforcement should be aimed at. Enforcing arbitrary speed limits on a highway, after years of allowing 10-15mph over the arbitrary limit just to raise money, is sort of crass. If the authorities are going to enforce limits on all highways all the time, that's fine, but if it's only during the big push, then slack off to business as usual, that's not useful enforcement.

Good morning everybody.........

I keep hearing: ... "You are retired and have nothing to do. So do my stuff for me." ...... Anyhow, I'm busy with non-model-railroad-stuff.

Have a nice Tuesday.

When I was a state trooper, I stopped a driver that was going 20 miles over the speed limit. He had quite an attitude and was doing everything he could to piss me off. That doesn't happen to me. He then went down the street where he was a tax payer and he was paying my salary. I responded that I was also a tax payer, so I guess that makes me self employed. When I left law enforcement the guys made me a plaque that said "Tack is the ability of telling someone to go to hell and make him happy to be on his way".

Curt - Really like the Alco, nice photo.

David.- Also a very nice photo.

GOOD MORNING.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was a state trooper, I stopped a driver that was going 20 miles over the speed limit. He had quite an attitude and was doing everything he could to piss me off. That doesn't happen to me. He then went sown the street where he was a tax payer and he was paying my salary. I responded that I was also a tax payer, so I guess that makes me self employed. When I left law enforcement the guys made me a plaque that said "Tack is the ability of telling someone to go to hell and make him happy to be on his way".

Curt - Really like the Alco, nice photo.

David.- Also a very nice photo.

GOOD MORNING.

Chet ... Good job .... My boss complimented me once. He said "You told him to go fly a kite, but you did it nicely.". Pays to be tactful

Curt and David ..... Ditto what Chet said about your photos.

Bright sunny day here in Wisconsin. Going to the train layout this afternoon since tomorrow promises to be even better and I have to vacuum a winter's worth of sand and salt off my truck's carpeting. Amazing even with a mild winter the amount of debris that ends up on a vehicle's carpet.

Plans today include working on a Cornerstone Background building and run some trains while kit bashing.

See ya.

Greg

Good morning Shop Dwellers! Its 47 at the moment - they say 61 high. We had a crummy day here yesterday - very windy and cold for around here .. even had a rain shower of a Tenth, or so, inch last night. So, its a very pretty morning, calm but cool.
Thanks for the compliments on the mutts. They are my children and my shadow. If I go to the bath room - they are laying by the door when I come out - ridiculous!

LASM - Very nice photo. I can't tell where the table ends and the backdrop begins. The gasoline truck is a real winner.

All the talk about the rules of the road is interesting. I have wished for years that rather than speed limits that they would concentrate on reckless drivers.
It's so bad out here that I try not to be the first car at the intersection, and if I am, I will wait a second or two to watch for the guy running the light. Seems as if every day there are several accidents by running stop signs and red lights. God forbid that I am doing the posted limit on a two lane road - always someone riding my butt and giving me the finger when he flys by.

JOE- Code 70? ... After working with "O" scale and for the past 4 years - 7.5 inch gauge .. looking at a piece of code 100 makes me x-eyed. Just not sure that I can go back to HO even though there is so much to choose from in details and such. Maybe if I settle on On30 then I will be able to run a HO train on the same track? Looking forward to a photo of your work so far.

OK, I've been interrupted at least 4 times trying to type this small bit -- so I'll sign off for now.

Good morning everybody.........

I keep hearing: ... "You are retired and have nothing to do. So do my stuff for me." ...... Anyhow, I'm busy with non-model-railroad-stuff.

Have a nice Tuesday.

Say What? ???? Not for nothing, but since I retired, I'm very busy, doing all the things I didn't have time for when I was working. Not to mention the unexpected tasks that circumstance thrusts at one. I imagine that you and others who have retired from a fixed hour job are in the same boat...Nothing to do my a**:mad: The answer to such comments is when I can get to it. Then feign forgetfulness when someone reminds you of it...

Evening All,

Did one of my all time favorite MRR things today...I cleaned track on the layout. Tomorrow is my VA appointment in the morning and class in the evening so I probably won't post tomorrow. We finalized our travel plans in May. We are going to visit family in OH then attend the PRRT&HS annual meeting and finally on the way home we will stop in Charleston, SC to visit with a friend, all in all about 10 days.

LASM- Very nicely done.

Joe- Pictures?

Garry- I hear you, in our case it usually involves our daughter.

Chet- Stupid and obnoxious people that feel they are owed something is a major reason that I decided to retire when I did.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Got my atlas track kit and my nce power cab today. Putting it all together right now. Ill post some pics later. I will also probably have some dcc questions and such when I go to wire it all up lol

Supposed to be chillier tonight.
NWS is calling for 3.25" of rain Thursday where we're going...

46 for our low tonight and 74 tomorrow.
Thursday they are saying 90% chance of thunderstorms and a low of 62.

I'm really bucking for one of those really nasty rainy weekends. I'd bring home a 30-pack and a bigger bottle whiskey and plenty of smokes and hole up all weekend!!! Might have to wait until tornado season gets into full swing though.
Not to worry. I'm been through 7 or 8 tornados in my time.
Throw in a 4 day weekend and no reason to get out and I'm a VERY happy camper.

My current train project (in no particular) order:
Build the Big Boy (just a model kit) - not a real running engine.
Build the frame and mount my Budweiser "neon" sign.
Put a light in my junction ticket office building.
Inventory ALL my engines - now that I have something of a little fleet going on.
Do the same for rolling stock - but engines do come first since that's where the money is.
I still have the SuperTrees to tinker with. (I finally got some "first go" candidates trimmed up)
Put in an on/off switch for the lights inside my mountain/tunnels (they don't always need to be on with everything else).

I'm sure there is other stuff I'm not thinking of right off hand.
Hump day tomorrow!!
Come on 1730!!
E.

Got my atlas track kit and my nce power cab today. Putting it all together right now. Ill post some pics later. I will also probably have some dcc questions and such when I go to wire it all up lol

You should find it pretty easy. I also run the NCE PowerCab and had it hooked and running in less than an hour. Probably more like 15 or 20 minutes. And I had zero experience with DCC except to run trains for a friends G scale layout when he had open house a few times.

You will have no shortage of resources to call upon from here. After a while, and some private messages (we call PMs), you'll get to know some really well. Perhaps even do some wheeling and dealing. I talk to several of these guys at least on a weekly basis - sometimes just BS about other stuff.
E.

Back