Running Bear's Coffee Shop LXI

Afternoon All,

Did some work outside earlier. Now that the worst of the oak leaves are done, the pollen is covering everything. Nothing much planned for the week except a VA eye appointment on Wednesday, my PD class Wednesday night and going to Jon's on Thursday.

LASM- I really like your backdrop but when I tried putting one up on my initial build I ended taking it down. I had an industrial one and it was right up against the track and to my eye it looked fake as heck.

Karl- Nice photo.

Garry- Nice photo.

Bob- That is an impressive lift, kind of like what I have seen in naval shipyards. Nice looking 4-8-4.

Sherrel- I have an Atlas/Kato RS1. It looks and runs great.

Lame- I am not trying to tell you what to do and it's your RR, but really think about doing a 4x8. I started out with that and really grew to dislike it and eventually modified it into a folded dog bone.

Chet- Great city scenes.

Willie- Nice looking dogs. I was looking at the ground and was thinking how much I miss the desert (grew up in West Texas). My brother and I spent hours wandering in it as kids.

My Atlas/Kato RS1 tricked out for the Pennsy!

IMG_1551_zps62a5f131.jpg

I hope everyone has a good night.

Say, RAY- That "new" photo of yours is Soooo much better! Shows off the trackwork, switch stand, and loco.

If I may suggest? Add a couple young boys sitting on the wall looking at the locomotive. The couple standing there sort of look as if they are watching too!

CURT- nice pic of your RS-1 ... I really like them. Funny, 50 years ago, I thought they were ugly!

Good evening. It's clear and 68.

It was a slow ride to and from work today. Everyone was doing 1mph under the speed limit because of our state's crackdown on people only doing a mile or two over the limit. I think it may be a type of alternative revenue generation, but I can't prove it.
One of my co-workers was cited for doing 2mph over the limit, at the bottom of a hill...

C'mon Terry, how else do you think the state legislature is going to fund this years Christmas party.

I can't help but wonder if the speeding crackdown is related to the state's recent demand for money I don't owe.
Also, the state has now altered their tax code. They can now go back ten years to collect any real or perceived unpaid taxes. Who keeps their tax records 10 years? The Feds tell you to keep them for 7.
Oh, the co-worker says his fine is about $250. It is such a minor infraction, there aren't even any points assessed on his license.
Remember, this is the state that arrested a man last week for not returning a video he rented--in 2001. His fine is also expected to be in the $200-250 area.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good evening. It's clear and 68.

It was a slow ride to and from work today. Everyone was doing 1mph under the speed limit because of our state's crackdown on people only doing a mile or two over the limit. I think it may be a type of alternative revenue generation, but I can't prove it.
One of my co-workers was cited for doing 2mph over the limit, at the bottom of a hill...

# 5 son just returned from Wilmington NC for the summer, he said he was never so happy to see Virginia. Instantly at the state line traffic on 95 went from 5 mph below to 10 above the posted..

Say Bob: Not to be arguementive but I have a hard time understanding how they can tell difference between a person who is generally interested and one that is looking to find out about an item. Just because a person clicks on an ad doesn't mean they have to spend a certain amount of time on the ad to qualify anything, maybe it was just for general knowledge for later on.

It's called "bounce rate". The server can track how long you stay there, whether you click on other pages, that sort of thing.

But that really doesn't matter. All I'm saying is "Don't click on ads just to click on them." Simply click on ads if they interest you. Whether you spend 2 seconds or 2 hours doesn't matter to me. Do what comes natural, and if it interests you, great. Just surf normally, don't "game the system".

Ray: The latest photo really nails the scene. I like the depth and clarity. Great modeling, BTW.

Terry: Here in Jersey, it's called a "Fund Raiser". I sort of wish they would crack down on the stop sign runners, who are really becoming a problem around here. Much more than excessive speed on freeways.

Curt: Your Alco RS1 is very well done. I find them fascinating, although I have only run the MRS1 version. I have three Atlas RS1s, a NYC "Cigar band" made by Roco in Austria, and two PRR, one with a pre 1966 number that was made by Kato in Japan, and a third, with a post 1966 number, made in China, with a Canon motor. Right now, I'm using the NYC unit on a test train, in conjunction with my layout build. Runs very well, and is quiet. It dates to the mid 1980s.

Sherrel: Nice dogs. I never met a dog I didn't like.

Villanova made it to the final four in the NCAA Final, Go 'Cats Go! Hockey is winding down to the last 8 regular season games. Where did the time go?

Good evening fellow Track Layers and Spike Drivers,
Hi Flo and Francine, nice to step in to the warmth of Jeffreys' Dinner on this cool breezy day. I'll have some Chilly Beans with Ground Beef and Onions if you would and probably a slice of your Dutch apple pie for desert. Thanks.

The weather here, as stated above has been breezy and a bit on the cool side.
Lets check WW: Overcast at 45.5 °F - Feels Like 46 °F
Wind is from the ENE at 2.2 mph, it was blowing about 7 mph earlier;

oday
High 53 | Low 36 °F
20% Chance of Precip.
Yesterday
High 78.1 | Low 47.7 °F

Precip. 0 in
Pressure 29.86 in
Visibility 10.0 miles
Clouds Few 9000 ft
Scattered Clouds 10000 ft
Windchill 46 °F
Dew Point 38 °F
Humidity 76%
Rainfall 0.00 in

No work on the layout yet today, but probably in a little while I'm going to see if I can't move the newest section of Rail Craft track and Central Valley Branch Line tie strips a bit closer to the back edge by only about 1/2" to 3/4" to give me a bit more room on the upper mainline so I can possibly put in a third passing siding. I don't want things to look or be too crowded so I'm not sure yet about the third siding but moving the newest section of track will open up a bit more room.

A buddy Joe that lives about 20 miles East of me said it supposed to get fairly cold tonight and tomorrow and I see by the weather report that 36 °F is getting fairly cold and could possibly snow so I spent the afternoon getting a real full load of wood in my garden cart to leave near the back porch door along with a bunch of small branches to get a fire going to keep the house warm. Needless to say there seems to always be something to make the task a bit more involved. When I finished unloading the last few left over pieces of wood from the last fire I had going a few weeks back I discovered that the Right front inflatable do-not tire was very low on pressure so I went about trying to get it sealed up by squirting some green Slime in it and had to bring out my little pancake air compressor to pump it up. It turned out to be a two time event as I put it back after the time of filling the little tire thinking it might just be a leaky air valve but it wasn't. So then I filled the little green mesh garden cart really full and pulled it over to the back door and covered it over with some black plastic to keep the rain and snow off it and recovered the wood pile that Joe was generous enough cut and bring over to me. He even mentioned this morning he has more wood for me, unbelievable, but appreciated. Speaking of Oak wood, I have three fairly large Oaks that appear to have died and one that is a bit smaller with in a fairly short distance from my back yard.

= = =

Sherrel, sweet doggies you have there!

OK, I went back down cellar and took another series of photos in the Blacksmith Shop location. I think David was right to back away just a bit more and keep some track in the lower part of the photo. Might just as well show off the hand laid track and turnout while I'm doing it. I like this one far better!

BlacksmithFinal12w_zpsdy9wjw7n.png

Thanks to all of you who took time to comment on this. We shall see what we shall see with the photo contest. It is just for fun anyway! I will be entering these in the local NMRA Meet the week before the Region Convention as well.

Have a good one out there.....

Say Ray: Glad you felt my suggestion was worth looking into. It should be interesting to see how it turns out?

Good afternoon to all of you back East. I slept in today and my two sleeping partners did not wake me normally before daylight. There were NINE doggies at the festivities for Easter Dinner, and they all had a great time romping around the three acres of property.

It's an overcast day at 58 degrees and sure looks as if it may rain, but we get fooled a lot.

Hope all have a nice day!View attachment 56542

Say Sherrel: Nice looking and well behaved puppys! Give them a pat from me.

Willie- the area I have is about 9' wide. I think by changing it and going 4X8 or even a little wider will suit me better to get the curves I want to run the bigger locomotives.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Say Lame: I'm not sure of the radius that they suggest for running that Loco but as you've found out due to the swing of the front and back it can tend to derail cars as it tends to push them toward the outside rail. You'd have to check to ensure you allow a large enough radius to resolve that and I would think, just as a guess that probably 24" radius is the smallest you should go and possibly even 28" or 30" radius.

The point I'm getting to here is that any return loop such as what you have on a folded dog bone layout would need to be probably at least 4" to 6" wider than your radius to allow some space on the outside of your tracks for scenery.

So that would mean that even if you could use a 24" radius which is measured from the center line to the center line or more precisely from the outside of the near rail to the inside rail 180 degrees across and then you till have to add about 1.5 inches to get to the bottom edge of the road bed taper and you till should allow at least a couple of inches or more for some scenery so things look more natural. So even if you were going to use a 24" radius it would still require a table area of about 52 plus inches, so be sure to keep these things in mind when planning your curves. Also it's a wise idea to have a template of the smallest curvature your going to use for the large Loco and use that or expand out broader if you want.

The same applies to the Turnouts/switches your going to uses as a bigger loco will need longer switches to negotiate smoothly.

I hope this is some help to you?

Thanks Chet!

David, thank you for your suggestions. I am going to go back down and try a different angle and tack on the photo. BTW the blue stuff in the window isn't draperies or curtains... That is the sky over across the room...... The Blacksmith's shop never had any curtains at any time in it's history AFAIK and doesn't today. It is now used as a storage building and workshop for a local Farmer in the area. The earliest photo I have found of the place was on a post card in 1911. I have no idea why the stone shows as "shinny" in the photo.... I think it may just be light reflection at that specific angle. You also notice that the front light of the little 0-6-0 tank loco is not on. 1925, locos did not run in daytime with lights...

Back to the layout for some different shots.

Say Ray: I'm glad I could offer a suggestion which you accepted and acted upon. Your new shot looks very much what I had in mind. To me, it's a lot more appealing especially with the switch stand and tracks showing as well as the bits of grass or weeds growing in the ballast between the two rail lines showing your rusted rail. It also shows the caboose and reefers on the far line and the Blacksmith's shop nicely. I think you may well have a Winner there!

Btw, what make of saddle tank loco is that? I've always been partial to loco's with flat top steam chests, it looks a bit different from the MDC saddle tank loco that I have.

Here's some pictures of my Con-Cor/Kato S2 Northern. They're not very good but will have to do for now.

View attachment 56528View attachment 56529View attachment 56530

Say, RAY- That "new" photo of yours is Soooo much better! Shows off the trackwork, switch stand, and loco.

If I may suggest? Add a couple young boys sitting on the wall looking at the locomotive. The couple standing there sort of look as if they are watching too!

CURT- nice pic of your RS-1 ... I really like them. Funny, 50 years ago, I thought they were ugly!

Say Sherrel: We are about the same as far as the RS-1's, I didn't like them either or the other diesels till more recently.

Morning.
42° and clear here heading to 71 later.
Wish these night-time temps wouldn't drop like that.
It got dang chilly in here last night.

Allow me:
coffee_pot.jpg

Good Morning All. 52 degrees with overcast skies this morning. Great day outside yesterday, I spent about 2 hours mowing. Today is weedeater day. Cleared a little more tree trimmings so I could mow around the area that I removed trees from. Repaired a cracked plastic plumbing connection in one of the bathrooms that has been unknowingly leaking. These "Shark-bite" connectors that I used are the greatest thing for plumbing since PVC pipe! Now I have to wait on the particle board to dry to assess the underlying damage. I hate particle board to begin with.
Dave - Still snowing up your way, and I have been mowing for 3-4 weeks now.
Chet - You're moving right along. Figures always make the scene. Like you, I paint them whenever... I keep mine in one of those plastic "craft" boxes with a bunch of compartments, organized by type of figure, standing man, sitting woman, etc. Helps me keep up with them. I have painted close to 600 of them in the last 20 years.
Ray - Like the picture even more with the track.
Terry -
...because of our state's crackdown on people only doing a mile or two over the limit.
Wow, in Texas they don't even blink an eye unless you're going 13 miles over the limit...which is 70-75mph on most major highways. Some rural ones have even higher limits.

Making another grocery trek today to Denton, that kills 3+ hours of modeling time for me.
Everyone have a great day.

Willie

G'morning, 43*F and breezy here in the Land Of Pleasant Living.

Terry - That's unnerving about NC cracking down on micro-speeders like that. Hope that's not becoming a trend among all the states; around here, cops don't bother us unless were doing more than 10mph over the limit. The attitude among drivers under age 30 in MD seems to be: "If you're not going fast enough to risk getting pulled over, then you're either a wuss or a "goody-two-shoes."

Chet - your city photos keep getting better and better!

Curt - I really like that scene of the two geeps on the high line a few pages back.

Sorry if I missed anybody. I need to make this a quick post because I leave for work in a few minutes, and I can no longer access this site at work because my employer's firewall has marked the "Active Topics" link as containing "Innappropriate Material" (!?). And I can't protest the mistake to the central IT folks because this isn't a work-related web site :mad:.

I took Monday off and cleared away some of the remaining large items that would interfere with having a level plain for my ISL extension. Then I went and updated my XtrkCAD track plan to make sure that what I hope to will actually be doable. I test-ran some "virtual" trains on it and, so far, it looks like it will work. I'll try to post a diagram of it this evening.

L8TER!

Last edited by a moderator:
Trussrod- Thanks for the info! I will keep it in mind. I believe they say 23" is satisfactory for it and 18" is the bare minimum. I'll so some measuring and see what I can do.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Eric, it's in the mail.

Ken, supposedly other states are watching what happens here, and are considering implementing similar programs, in the name of "safety". About half the drivers are doing 1mph under the limit, the others seem to be doing 10+ over. Personally, I can't afford a ticket, so I'm making sure I am under the limit. People can call me what they want, and I'll laugh as I drive past them when they get pulled over.

Sherrel, sweet doggies you have there!

OK, I went back down cellar and took another series of photos in the Blacksmith Shop location. I think David was right to back away just a bit more and keep some track in the lower part of the photo. Might just as well show off the hand laid track and turnout while I'm doing it. I like this one far better!

BlacksmithFinal12w_zpsdy9wjw7n.png

Thanks to all of you who took time to comment on this. We shall see what we shall see with the photo contest. It is just for fun anyway! I will be entering these in the local NMRA Meet the week before the Region Convention as well.

Have a good one out there.....

Lovely photo...it's a winner. Great modelling also!

Back