Running Bear's Coffee Shoppe LX

WILLIE: I always enjoy your morning narrative, just seems to start the day off on a good foot. I never was one who liked to cook, but I sure like to eat. Are you cooking for a bunch, or just soes you have some snacks around?

Our weather out here is getting like I used to remember in K.C. from years ago - if you don't like it now, just wait a spell, it will change. It is clear, not a cloud in the sky anywhere! Temp is 47 at 8am, and expected to get to 83 later on. That's a 40 degree spread; we get those quite often here. Morning news from the LA area is advertising fire warnings and high winds - great - what the hell happened to El Nino? Where's my rain?

TERRY: I sure wish I lived closer to you. I have so many questions about WIN10, I do not know where to even start. I feel like KARL about his decoder, "lets push this button and see what happens".

Well, since GB is not playing today, I will probably watch only a bit of the game today. I have to pretend to route for the Broncos as my son in law is a rabid Bronco fan, and he owes me a big loan. Guess I have rambled on long enough -- Later!

What's with all the hubbub about Win 10?
Except for the rampant intrusive advertising onslaught and personal privacy concerns it's a FAR CRY better than Win 8 any day of the week. I said so from day-1 with Win 8 that it had ZERO business being on a server/desktop/tower platform. Might be fine for your cutesy phones and tablets but not for a real production machine - which is what I always run.

As for MS Edge, I could take it or leave it to be honest. Sometimes IE 11 and Edge both f... up and I'll open up Chrome or Opera. Since I used to do a lot of web-centric development, I've always kept a variety of browsers on hand to ensure cross-platform compatibility.

Bradbury's comment on Windows being "hokem" I don't worry about. I've made way more "stupider" comments than that.
After seeing my first few color monitors, circa late 70s, I scoffed claiming they were only worth playing games and drawing pictures and had no business in a "real" data processing environment. I made another comment about the mouse saying it was nothing more "than a gadget" and I had no use for it.
Needless to say, I don't make comments like those anymore. Crow doesn't quite taste so good as crunchy humans with ketchup. :D

E

image.jpgHehehehe!

Afternoon All,

Didn't post yesterday because I felt like doggie-do-do. I still have a sore throat and am a bit stuffy but that didn't keep me away from the layout today. I weathered the platform I built with 2 coats of India ink wash, I built a Rix 43 ft flat top oil tank (really easy to build), the containment area for the tank, and put down ground cover along the tracks to the new oil business.

I figure that I still need to build a small truck platform for home oil deliveries, a open shed (like a carport) to store oil drums under and a business sign. Of course I am still waiting on the plastruct order. I'm going to call it Hillcrest Heating Oil and Coal.

Chessie- Nice looking pics.

Eric- Nice looking video and layout.

NG- Happy Birthday. I hope you have a great day.

Milw113- Congrats on your new additions. You're going to be an expert painter by the time you get everything completed.

Bob- Hopefully you get through it quickly.

Garry- The track issues are part of the reason I have done all the track work. There were a couple areas that I was not happy with.

Karl- I feel your pain about the flooring. A couple of years ago we put in around 1200 cu ft of wood flooring. The labor was done by me, MOH, our son and daughter. Working a room at a time it took us about 2 months to get done. The mess, disruption, and body aches I can live without.

Well I forgot to upload the picture...again.

I hope everyone has a good night.

You may have inadvertently started windows in safe mode.
That's one of the things I really don't like about 10, there doesn't seem to be the "system restore" function that was available in most earlier versions.

If I did start it in safe mode, I don't know how, I think it happened after returning from sleep mode, didn't actually notice until I tried to adjust the sound volume on a Ytube vid with the on-screen taskbar control. As it happened we were just about to get a techy in to set-up my wife's new computer, especially bought because it still had Win 7 installed, so a double dose for him. A system restore is what he did to my machine to fix it (don't ask me how). Googling a question about the fault prior to his visit, showed that this is a known occurrence, but also mentions the same with earlier versions. He's also taken her old computer away to do a clean re-install of Win 7. I've claimed that for dedicated JMRI use. Maybe this time I'll get that to work as it should, last time it opened with postage stamp sized pages up in the top left corner of the screen.

As far as being able to continue using Win 7 indefinitely, he reckons you will, but without updates once MS ends support.

Justin- My glue is 1 part RA, one part water, and one part Elmer's.
Before applying the glue to ground cover I always spray with RA first.

Afternoon, all! 40f and snow. Supposed to get cold this week.
Been keeping up with posts, just haven't had much to say.
The grandson's Peewee A team is rated 1st in the state of Minnesota for hockey. Playoffs start next week I think. His team's playing for the Championship in a tourney today.
Work has been hindered by the weather. I am waaaay to old to work outside if I don't absolutely have to. The owners won't be back til May and said to be done by then. Works for me!

I see some of you guys have been busy workin' on the railroad! Neat stuff!
Happy B-day, NG!

Had a whooops moment the other day. I use big push pins as hand brakes in Rice Lake due to the section being on a grade. Made a run around move, picked up my train and pull out of the city. Unfortunately, the pin holding the train caught on the coupler of the caboose. I did not know that important piece of information.

002_zpsywxs2roi.jpg

Couldn't figure out why it wasn't moving. Applied LOTS of power. That worked.

Bout all for now. I also don't have a horse it the race tonight.
Didn't think they'd actually have a super bowl if the Packers weren't playing!! Ha!

Terry in NW Wisconsin

Ok guys. I'm out of Scenic cement. Do I have to use alcohol when using a 2:1 mixture of white glue?

Justin

1:1 glue and water and put in a splash of ISO 91% (alcohol).
The combination makes it sprayable from your bottle.
The ISO breaks down the surface tension to let it soak right in.
That's been my experience.
E

Update from Carey just now. We "only" talked for nearly 2 hours.
He aint' so good as I thought. He says his enthusiasm is gone for the time being.
Chet and Terry, he gave me the ok to give you his direct phone number if you like.
Other folks he wants to have email first before he answers the phone.

He said it's ok for me to give out his email but I won't do that so as he doesn't get spammed.
PM me and I'll pass along his email as he said that was ok.
E.

Good afternoon

Eric .. Sorry to hear cary's enthusiasm is gone for now. Let him know I care if you can.

Curt ... With track I am currently doing something like you. I pulled up one of my main line tracks yesterday, because certain trains derail. In this location, the roadbed is not even, and I will remove it so I do it right. Trains can run around on the other track because it is a double track main line. However, I'm not running trains if I'm busy with track.

Terry in Wisconsin .... oops !

Justin ... Looks like you are still running trains close to the edger. If so, I suggest you staple cardboard fence for the time being before you have another "Floor Model".

I don't care who wins the Super Bowel. I'm not planning to watch it.

Happy Model Railroading

Good afternoon

Eric .. Sorry to hear cary's enthusiasm is gone for now. Let him know I care if you can.

Curt ... With track I am currently doing something like you. I pulled up one of my main line tracks yesterday, because certain trains derail. In this location, the roadbed is not even, and I will remove it so I do it right. Trains can run around on the other track because it is a double track main line. However, I'm not running trains if I'm busy with track.

Terry in Wisconsin .... oops !

Justin ... Looks like you are still running trains close to the edger. If so, I suggest you staple cardboard fence for the time being before you have another "Floor Model".

I don't care who wins the Super Bowel. I'm not planning to watch it.

Happy Model Railroading

Garry, your name came up as well.

Ok guys so in light of everything I have decided to go ahead and bullet proof my mountain. Started adding on plaster to it. Eric I did get some alcohol. Not the beverage type unfortunately but do please enlighten me as to what your definition is of a splash.

Justin

Hep, hep! I beens HIP-mo-tized!

Poo-poo the roundy-round all ya's like, try four! LOL!

I got 'stuck' watching four all going in the same direction on different lines and pass, pass, pass, each other for an hour with the trackmobile aimlessly doing figure 8's! Not having any scenery detracted from it not at all! Having scenery and some elevations will be much, much better!

Oh and before I forget. Garry I do plan on building guardrails for my layout soon. One I finish up the ballast on the far side of my layout its going to happen. I have found that I seem to be in a safe zone if I keep it slow. So slow and steady works for now.

Justin

Back