Running Bear's Coffee Shop LIV

Just when you think you've heard it all...
Most of you know I'm peddling some trains, and several of those places are on social media. Today, I had someone demand that I dismantle my locomotives, and photograph the motors, in order to prove they had motors, decoders, etc. While I can understand someone that has been burned wanting to verify the inner workings are there, I don't think they realize how many fragile details can be damaged by hurriedly pulling apart an engine just to take a picture. For someone selling a hundred engines, that chance multiplies exponentially.
So, I invited the guy to not purchase my stuff...

Good afternoon fellow Spike Ponders and Ballast tampers,
Hi Flo and Francine, how is everything here at Jeffrey's Dinner? I think a cup of coffee sounds good for now, maybe more later?

Weather wise, WW says it's, Clear and 92.3 °F - Feels Like 89 °F;

With the Wind coming from the West at 4.7 mph;
Humidity is 25% & the Barometer is at 29.83 in/Hg.
Sun and Mon are supposed to warm up a bit but then it should start to cool down a bit.

On the HoBo scene:
Say Francine, your a Looloo;
How about some; Mulligan stew (1) – Stew made from the combined contributions of everyone who wants some (or) The stew consists of large chunks of beet, buffalo (when available) or hamburger, potatoes, onions, carrots, or other vegetables and seasonal herbs.
= = = =

Say Toot: That even happens to me picking up my own Loco's and cars. The doors on the MDC Box Cab Diesels don't have any steps below them and are directly above the drive trucks and I've added plastic step but tend to pick them up wrong and break the steps off. You should hear some of the foul language I hear after I do that from the crew!

Say Paratrooper: The main thing I've found is to just use small wire brads to hold the cork road bed in place and also to hold the flex track in position using the central hole in the ties every now and then but No Glue or adhesive to so making changes are just a matter of pulling out the wire brads and repositioning things. If your going to have the road bed or even the rail sit on plywood or the like that the small nails will be taped into be sure not to tap them in so hard your ties begin to form even a shallow 'v' as that will pull the rails together and form a tight spot and cause problems.

Say Joe: Again your knowledge is very much appreciated and enjoyed as most wouldn't know that otherwise.

Say Ken: Yah, soldering rail joiners on turnouts can cause lots of problems if you ever need to remove or re-position it. Jumper wires soldered to the stock rails, the outside rails, should be all that's needed.

Sorry to hear about your mishap, glad it wasn't worse. I try to carry an Led flash lite with me at night. I picked two up from Costco some years back for $20.00 bucks and now they have three for that price. The Led they have is very bright and even has a high and low setting plus some other settings.

The only thing I have a problem with is that the battery caddy which holds three AAA batteries, tends to break after a while and I haven't been able to find a source for replacements for them. I use the rechargeable ones batteries which seems to work out well.

Say NG: Thanks, I forgot that, My supplier handles Broadway Limited so I'll have to check to see if they carry them?

Say Garry: As always your welcome to the complements, your modeling and scenery work is very good.

I also appreciate your posting of the Baldwin Center Cab Diesel as I didn't know about them either other than Joe mentioning them too.

Say Ken: even a decoder in something that small, Wow, but electroinics sure have minatureized from when I first got into the field around 1957, I think it was?

Say Phil: Good to see you posting again.

Say Karl: Where have you been man, maybe took a trip in your new Pick-up? Hope to hear from you soon.

The nail idea has been discussed as well as a few other methods, no glue till I'm very sure I like the way it carries the trains, oh, yes!

Will not be using any kind of 'roadbed' cork or foam, will be running on the foam board and/or wood, on the elevated sections, wire ties will be used to 'tack' it down every so often untill I feel it is worth gluing in place. Using extra long brads left over from the 'Grandfather' time that have been laying around, just enough to go thru the foam and into the wood but not so tight as to bend the ties. I have an old coffie can and several segmented plastic storage boxes FULL of every size of 'tiny' gage nail I will ever need, from lil 1/4 inchers to 1 1/2" long! This layout must be why I have lugged them with me for 25 years!

Just when you think you've heard it all...
Most of you know I'm peddling some trains, and several of those places are on social media. Today, I had someone demand that I dismantle my locomotives, and photograph the motors, in order to prove they had motors, decoders, etc. While I can understand someone that has been burned wanting to verify the inner workings are there, I don't think they realize how many fragile details can be damaged by hurriedly pulling apart an engine just to take a picture. For someone selling a hundred engines, that chance multiplies exponentially.
So, I invited the guy to not purchase my stuff...

Sounds like trouble looking for a place to happen, I would not sell to him even if he asked nice after THAT kinda KA-KA!

My MBK order just showed.
Guess I'll go learn how to do truck replacements this afternoon/evening.
I love the look/feel and detail on these Kadee Bettenforf #500 trucks.
Really nice!!!

I got the 2-56 metal screws to mount them with.
Any idea what size pin-vise bit to use?
Sure, I can put the micro-meter on one to see but is there a "recommended" one to use?
I didn't get a tap to thread them. The feller at MBK the threads are fine enough that should thread threw the plastic well enough.

Well.... I was going to update the info on the above post. But once again I walked away never submitting.
So here's the update from what would have been posted well over an hour ago.

The trucks went on pretty easy. So did the couplers. One car rolls like brand new. Probably better than what it came with actually. The other has chasis issues that I'll look into another time. At first glance it would appear the wheels may be hitting the gear box I put on. Remember I was also putting on body mounted couplers as well.

Been a productive day all in all. Might just have a few beers and do that video I keep talking about.
I wasn't even thinking about putting the separate program track back on and take care of the tunnel liners.
E.

Oh, Terry ... That was not much of a problem ....

Soocollision1.jpg

Garry: I wonder what in the world happened to cause this catastrophe?

Say Joe: Did you hear anything about this, God what a mess. I don't imagine either engine crew survived this?

Hi gang,

Sorry if I have been absent of late, but they fired my boss on the 4th, and one of my other co workers has been on vacation since the 8th. That means 12-14 hour days for me. I've been stuck with a cashier trying to write tickets, and Tiny the wonderdummy, also trying to write service tickets. Relief comes Tuesday, as my vacationing cohort returns, and Tiny the wonderdummy takes a few days off.

On the other hand, DIL # 2 has announced the test results, and child #1 is going to be a boy! Were still waiting to find out what DIL #1 is going to have for child #4 (Grandchildren 4 & 5 respectively. ) . I'll let you know what the score is but its either going to be boys 5, girls 0, or boys 4, girls 1) I'm betting on boys 5. after all, that's how many the prior generation is made up of.

Started off the day patching the driveway. it too 12 bags of driveway patch and 1 rented flat tamper to make it all smooth again. That flat tamper rental was the be 60 bucks I ever spent on a rental. Takes no time to get a flat, smooth surface that is hard as rock! Lawn got cut, driveway sealing commences at 8 a.m. tomorrow. til then, I'm taking a break!! I do have some trains to work on,,,hmmmmm. :rolleyes:

Well, WELL DONE on the brood! Sounds like a HOOT at the holidays and most other days TOO I'll bet!

YA, sure, a power tamper is BIG fun the FIRST MONTH, then it turns into WORK!!! LOL! I did two summers on a sprinkler installation crew back about 85-86, we did some work on the Wayne County Municipal course (a desert!) in Detroit and the West Acres section of the course at M.S.U. (TOTALLY beautiful!)

My MBK order just showed.
Guess I'll go learn how to do truck replacements this afternoon/evening.
I love the look/feel and detail on these Kadee Bettenforf #500 trucks.
Really nice!!!

I got the 2-56 metal screws to mount them with.
Any idea what size pin-vise bit to use?
Sure, I can put the micro-meter on one to see but is there a "recommended" one to use?
I didn't get a tap to thread them. The feller at MBK the threads are fine enough that should thread threw the plastic well enough.

Well.... I was going to update the info on the above post. But once again I walked away never submitting.
So here's the update from what would have been posted well over an hour ago.

The trucks went on pretty easy. So did the couplers. One car rolls like brand new. Probably better than what it came with actually. The other has chasis issues that I'll look into another time. At first glance it would appear the wheels may be hitting the gear box I put on. Remember I was also putting on body mounted couplers as well.

Been a productive day all in all. Might just have a few beers and do that video I keep talking about.
I wasn't even thinking about putting the separate program track back on and take care of the tunnel liners.
E.

Love your videos, E! I may try to take one with this 'craptop' I'm using, the still shots are so-so, it SAYS it can record video too, but there is no motion going on down here to 'film' yet!

Good morning all.
The coffee, black, and a Denver Omelet with whole wheat toast. Or a trip to Ihop for pancakes. Decisions,decisions.
Later
Phil
Hi Flip, I finally found you over here and joined up.
Hope your week-end is going well.
Later Gator.
Johnboy out.........................

Sherrel- Belated birthday congrats. 73 huh! Thats five years and nine months younger than me. I'll wait for you to catch up.

Big E - sorry to hear you had a health issue. Glad you're better. I enjoy your posts and you pictures.

Phil

Found 'the way' ! Power! Took the power sander to it and three passes gets it up to my standard! I'll have this ready to be cleaned and painted lickety split! WOO HOO!

Found 'the way' ! Power! Took the power sander to it and three passes gets it up to my standard! I'll have this ready to be cleaned and painted lickety split! WOO HOO!

I was going to suggest to use a 4x6" power pad sander with some of black mesh stuff made just for mud sanding. It'll make short work of it. DO NOT use an orbital sander. I don't care how good you are, you WILL leave swirl marks that WILL stand out.

After 3 attempts, a new video is done and uploading right now. This one over 6 minutes. Way longer than any of my others. I still don't understand the why the dim look. It's look wonderful through the camera viewer when I filming.
Oh well..... it'll be up there in probably a couple hours this time being as long as it is.
E

N G - I remember WILLY and JOE by Bill Maudlin. Looked forward to his pictures. Had his book many years ago.

Phil

For those of you that don't know, Johnboy is another n o b modeler. A good one. Also a fighter,putting up a heck of a battle with C. I have had the pleasure of swapping cars and seeing his handiwork.
Phil

Karl- Darn, that brings back memories and tears. And no not about the movie From Here To Eternity.

Phil

ERIC. With as much smoking and drinking as you do .. You really should have your medical ailments checked out.

Actually, I do WAY, WAY less of both than just a year ago. Even sooner than that. 6 months ago, a 12 pack wouldn't last a night. 18 pack would be better if I started earlier in the day.
Today, literally today, I'm just about to finish my 12th beer out of 12 pack I got 5 days ago.
Quitting chew was by far the hardest thing I ever had to kick. 30 years later and still have an occasional dream about it. Smokes I've quit several times for years at a time and would just start right back up for no reason.

Anyway, I ain't near like I used to be.
E.

David .... It was a Soo Line head on crash in Michigan's Upper Peninsula

Here is a link with brief info.... It must be wrong about both trains being westbound .

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?road_number=Soo 4408

Thanks Garry, The info and link is appreciated. Your correct to my way of thinking about the fact both Loco's had to be moving toward each other for it to be a Head-On. Unless their terminology is somehow different? But judging by the picture it sure seems your correct as the Loco on top sure looks like it somehow climbed up there? Hard to imagine how that could happen unless the ground under track of the upper loco gave way and it was climbing out of a hole to make the nose stick up in the air and come down on top of the other loco?

It's somewhat beyond comprehension but should be interesting to read.

Hi Flip, I finally found you over here and joined up.
Hope your week-end is going well.
Later Gator.
Johnboy out.........................

JohnBoy ... Nice seeing you here. ..... You were posting as I was posting at same time. ....

Montanan (Chet) ... I don't see you here today, but I suggest you meet up with JohnBoy ( posts in MR Forum) who travels to Billings to visit his son occasionally.

New Guy ,,,, I too like Michigan's Upper Peninsula ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Back