Running Bear's Coffee Shop LIV

BWAAA, HA, HA HAAAAA! Bless you 'mine Kameraden'!

When I see posts like this one.. I KNOW I'm 'not alone' in my crazy world!

Cast not the first stone. Whoops wrong context. Sorry. Mea Culpa!

Phil

Yeah, sure you boys are joking about casting stones.
While you kiddies throw pebbles at each other, I'm over here throwing down mountains!!!

Remember, if you're gonna run with the big dogs, you can't pee like a puppy!
~

For those complaining my coffee cups are too small, I present the megacup.
32 ounces of coffee.View attachment 52482

Wow... 32 oz. .... How many trips do you make to the bathroom after drinking that?

We're getting older. Our oldest granddaughter is 14, and went to her first homecoming dance last night.

Flip ... Thanks for the comment about he grain elevator.

David ... It was good the crew jumped off before the collision.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good morning Coffee Shop patrons. Since we are about to close down and move to a new site, coffee and donuts are free this morning.

70°, and overcast right now, but supposed to clear up with a temp of 78°. Hopefully, I can finish painting the benchwork for the modules today. Maybe even get to the back drop boards. I really need to get down to painting the train room, or these modules will never leave the garage.

The Genesis PRR GP9Bs were listed yesterday, and promptly sold out. This was the PRR in pre 1966 number sequence. Factoid: PRR GP9s maintained their original road numbers during the pre merger renumbering of 1966, but the GP9Bs were all renumbered.

Genesis Penn Central versions will follow, and I plan on acquiring at least one of them.

David and Garry: I cringe, every time a see a photo of the aftermath of a collision. Over the years, I have investigated rear end and head on collisions as well as raking collisions (FRA for sideswipes). It's kind of difficult to imagine one of these without thinking that each one was the result of a human error, somewhere in the food chain.

Since the New jersey Jets are playing Monday night, the local TV outlet may again condescend to carry the Ravens game.

Enjoy your Sunday.

David and Garry: I cringe, every time a see a photo of the aftermath of a collision. Over the years, I have investigated rear end and head on collisions as well as raking collisions (FRA for sideswipes). It's kind of difficult to imagine one of these without thinking that each one was the result of a human error, somewhere in the food chain.

Did you work for the NTSB doing RR work? How fascinating.
What are you thoughts about that commuter train incident months ago in the North East?
E.

Yeah, sure you boys are joking about casting stones.
While you kiddies throw pebbles at each other, I'm over here throwing down mountains!!!

Remember, if you're gonna run with the big dogs, you can't pee like a puppy!
~

With THIS much coffee going down???

Nothin BUT big dogs running around here! (running for the 'LOO'!)

Did you work for the NTSB doing RR work? How fascinating.
What are you thoughts about that commuter train incident months ago in the North East?
E.

Eric: 42 years in the Railroad Business, with the PRR, PC, Conrail and Amtrak. Both as an operating employee [Clerk, Yardmaster, Locomotive Fireman. Locomotive Engineer]. and an operations manager for 17 of those years. Part of an operating department officer's duties is to investigate accidents and injuries. Most railroad accident investigations are internal, with the carriers initiating the reporting and determination of cause to the FRA. I have worked closely with the FRA, and have been involved with the NTSB dog and pony show on several occasions.

(Difference between government agencies - FRA regulates, but seriously attempts to resolve problems with the carriers without disrupting their business, while NTSB is all show, calling news conferences, criticizing and pontificating, before the facts are known, disrupting operations and lives, then fading back into the woodwork, waiting until the incident is all but forgotten to issue their findings, most of which were known within the first 24 hours following the incident.)

As far as the recent series of high profile incidents in the northeast are concerned, I aware of three, I assume you are referring to the Amtrak wreck at Frankford Junction, in Philadelphia, I find it hard not to label this as operator error, but I also find it hard to believe the operator wasn't aware of his surroundings. The curve is that obvious, so there is the possibility that the operator was disabled prior to the restriction. - There is a question of ride quality with the new electric locomotives - and the issue of projectiles being thrown at the train, which in itself is a known problem in that neighborhood. I was qualified to operate trains on this segment of the NEC, and have done so in the past. There are too many facts that either were not released to the masses or are unknown. However, there were means to prevent this incident that for some reason were never deployed, a simple change in the code that would have caused the cab signals to drop to approach medium, which would have activated the train control in the event that braking to acknowledge the change in cab signal indication was not initiated. That was an Engineering Department Management Decision.

Yeah Boris, that's the incident I was referring to.
If I recall the automatic speed-control and braking systems were never installed in that area due to budgetary cuts.
Come to find out the a-holes that wanted to start hearings and throw money at the problem were the EXACT idiots that did the cutting to begin with. Typical frackin politicians!!
I also seem to recall the operator's experience came into question. Only 1 year as an operator and just a steward before that. Didn't he initially claim the windshield had been shot only later to find out that was complete bull squirt?

Sounds to me like the equivalent of a newly licensed pilot being strapped into an A380 and the lives of over 300 people being put in his hands.
Doesn't make sense to me.

Then again, I only heard what the news reported to us general populace types.
I'd bet if the "real truth" came out a LOT of heads would roll on that one - as well they should IMHO.
E.

JOE. Your second paragraph is a winner .. Just substitute FAA for FRA and the remainder is the same from my viewpoint.

PHIL. Thanks for the well wishes. You just stay five years and nine months ahead. I don't want to catch you for that means you would have stopped .. Can't have that, lol.

ERIC. You have come a long way in a short time. Like your spread and the video. The scene of the train rolling through the trees is great.

LOUIS. I know you like the GG-1

image.jpg

AND another nice shot!

image.jpg

Good afternoon everybody!

The coffee shop is a busy joint! Jeffery would be proud.

Sherrel I like that picture so much I posted it again! In my opinion the GG1 was the greatest locomotive ever. Only thing that would have made it better would have been a Chessie/B&O paint scheme.
attachment.php

Who ever said Conrail had boring paint schemes?

Louis- Lovely paint scheme. I have a GP-38-2 , B&M , in the 1776 paint job.

I spoke with Curt short time ago. Family matters and all that implies have taken up almost all his time. He and family are well, just tied up as "MURPHY" has put his foot in the door

Phil

Louis- Lovely paint scheme. I have a GP-38-2 , B&M , in the 1776 paint job.

I spoke with Curt short time ago. Family matters and all that implies have taken up almost all his time. He and family are well, just tied up as "MURPHY" has put his foot in the door

Phil

Phil ... Thanks for the update on Curt. .... Actually, I will be absent most of the next week and a half because of traveling starting tomorrow. I will have little or no computer time.

Joe ... You must have had experiences investigating accidents you would prefer forgetting.

With all you guys posting these pics of the bicentennial engines, I wonder how many got to do the tour through the Amtrak bicentennial train that summer of 1976. Actually, I think there 2 or 3 of them travelling the country that summer. Basically a rolling museum from one end to the other.
At the time we lived just south of Springfield, IL where it made a stop for a few days. I got to take the tour.
The idea was to represent 200 years of our history as you went through the train. I would imagine they got most of the display items from the Smithsonian. I only remember 2 pieces: a Remington bronze horse casting and an astronaut's suit (I don't recall whose).
E.

My first try casting rock faces was quite a success. I made 6 pieces.
Pretty easy actually it's just another one of those things I'd never done before. I've worked with plaster before but hydrocal was new to me. Not much different, if at all, than what I remembered.
It does seem to be a little sensitive to the powder-to-water ratio. Then again, I was just doing 1 cup powder to 1/3 water.
I also don't recall plaster being exothermic. The thicker casts I did, warmed up a little - not like high-strength engineered concrete mind you.
But I wasn't casting the plaster either. Just coating wet newspaper laid over wire screen for a mountain shell.
E

Yeah Boris, that's the incident I was referring to.
If I recall the automatic speed-control and braking systems were never installed in that area due to budgetary cuts.
Come to find out the a-holes that wanted to start hearings and throw money at the problem were the EXACT idiots that did the cutting to begin with. Typical frackin politicians!!
I also seem to recall the operator's experience came into question. Only 1 year as an operator and just a steward before that. Didn't he initially claim the windshield had been shot only later to find out that was complete bull squirt?

Sounds to me like the equivalent of a newly licensed pilot being strapped into an A380 and the lives of over 300 people being put in his hands.
Doesn't make sense to me.

Then again, I only heard what the news reported to us general populace types.
I'd bet if the "real truth" came out a LOT of heads would roll on that one - as well they should IMHO.
E.

Not exactly. The territory in question is equipped with wayside signals, [261 Rules on all 4 tracks], cab signals, and automatic train control. What was missing is the much heralded PTC aka. Positive Train Control. Amtraks version of PTC is known as ACSCS. All of Amtrak's electric motors are equipped with ACSES. ACSES requires transponders to work, and although they are installed on portions of the NEC, they were not installed in that particular area for reasons not readily apparent, but probably of a "Political" nature. Budget cuts is governmentspeak for catch all phrase to cover bureaucratic mishandling or error in judgment, but not necessarily the culprit.

The operator, is an experienced employee, with prior service as a trainman (Conductor). They undergo intensive training on all types of equipment, operations, as well as rules and procedures at Amtrak's Engineer School, in Delaware, and then extensive on the job training with experienced mentors for a long period of time, after which they must pass finals in operating rules, physical characteristics of territory , train handling and equipment troubleshooting, with a minimum passing grade of 85%. The only flaw any operator has, is that they are human, and thus subject to all the things that affect the performance of other humans.

We may never find out the true cause of this wreck, but from experience, there must have been something that really distracted the operator otherwise, it's hard to conceive that someone (anyone) would deliberately try to take a 50MPH curve at 110+Mph. This was not the operators maiden voyage on the run either.

The existing cab signal system, which has been there since at least the 1930s, can be coded so that the cab signal will drop from clear (proceed) to approach medium, in advance of the restriction, which would force a speed reduction to 45 MPH or 5mph under the restriction, or if ignored bring the movement to a stop. It's a minimal cost adjustment in effect at other locations, that was never installed for Eastward movement through the curve. Ironically, that feature was in effect for Westbound movement through the curve. That one rests on somebody in the Signal Department.

My first try casting rock faces was quite a success. I made 6 pieces.
Pretty easy actually it's just another one of those things I'd never done before. I've worked with plaster before but hydrocal was new to me. Not much different, if at all, than what I remembered.
It does seem to be a little sensitive to the powder-to-water ratio. Then again, I was just doing 1 cup powder to 1/3 water.
I also don't recall plaster being exothermic. The thicker casts I did, warmed up a little - not like high-strength engineered concrete mind you.
But I wasn't casting the plaster either. Just coating wet newspaper laid over wire screen for a mountain shell.
E

Were you using rock-molds...like the Woodland Scenics molds? I used some of those a few years ago...it was quite easy and alot of fun...they were a bit fragile but easy to repair if accidentally broken and once painted look quite realistic.

Thats the wonderful thing about this hobby....one can continually surprise oneself by trying new techniques,skills and crafts quite successfully.

JOE. Your second paragraph is a winner .. Just substitute FAA for FRA and the remainder is the same from my viewpoint.

PHIL. Thanks for the well wishes. You just stay five years and nine months ahead. I don't want to catch you for that means you would have stopped .. Can't have that, lol.

ERIC. You have come a long way in a short time. Like your spread and the video. The scene of the train rolling through the trees is great.

LOUIS. I know you like the GG-1

View attachment 52486

AND another nice shot!

View attachment 52487

Sherrel: Re: FAA, You got that right.

BTW: re. photos, I had the opportunity of running the 4800, in the Bicentennial scheme, and way back on 12 December 1967, the 4800, was the first locomotive I ever moved, on my own.

Were you using rock-molds...like the Woodland Scenics molds? I used some of those a few years ago...it was quite easy and alot of fun...they were a bit fragile but easy to repair if accidentally broken and once painted look quite realistic.

Thats the wonderful thing about this hobby....one can continually surprise oneself by trying new techniques,skills and crafts quite successfully.

Yes. A WS C1239 rock face mold that came in the "Rock Face Learning Kit" (LK951).

Progress report, arms are shot from waving the vac wand and pushing that sander against the ceiling, but it is moving quickly, got a 1/4 of the open area done!

Back