Running Bear's Coffee Shop LIV

Garry: Here's what was written under one of the shots. What's a little confusing to me is that they refer to the 4408 loco but then refer to them as Soo 909 & 910 trains/Loco's, I'm not sure why the change in number disignation?

Also it's seems odd that the train 910 that was supposed to take the siding didn't attempt to stop and contact the other train to slow way down so he could back up and take the siding as he was supposed too.

Anyway fortunately, the crews jumped from both Loco's and saved their lives.

Firefighters, railroad workers, police, and a couple photographers at the site of a head on collision between Soo trains 909-910 about 1 mile east of Gilchrist. 910 was supposed to take siding at Gilchrist for the meet but inadvertently went past and continued toward the east meeting westbound 909 in a curve with this as the result. Crews jumped before impact no doubt saving their lives. The fuel tank on 4408 ruptured and burst into flames as the electrical cabinet on 6600 provided the spark to start the fire. The location was about a mile from the nearest road and the resulting fire quickly spread into the woods. Quick action from a nearby Michigan DNR firefighting crew who bulldozed a road in and quickly controlled the fire prevented this from becoming a even more serious situation. The train crews involved had quickly backed the remaining units and cars, remarkably none of which even derailed, away from the fire so they did not become involved.

Just some musings of my own while messing with re-fitting those cars I did today.
While putting the box car on the rails I noticed the brake wheel was in the wrong place - i.e. I had the car pointed in the wrong direction based on forward travel to the train it was on.
It occurred to me I was not only being a little nit-picky about that seemingly minor detail that few outside railroading would know, but I've been doing that for months already and not even thinking about it.
I learned about it reading something about cars and the A and B ends. So I started paying attention.
Now after getting this new engine from Terry I learned all about Type I and II ditch light operationals. So I got all into that for a couple days this week.
And, in the recent month or so I've been learning about the Tier II and Tier III EPA crap they threw on the RRs - thus came the GEVOs and the SD70 and up.
Knowledge can be a dangerous thing.
Generally, I find it to be a life enriching thing and hunger for it constantly.

Just some late night thoughts. Nothing more.
E

I was going to suggest to use a 4x6" power pad sander with some of black mesh stuff made just for mud sanding. It'll make short work of it. DO NOT use an orbital sander. I don't care how good you are, you WILL leave swirl marks that WILL stand out.

After 3 attempts, a new video is done and uploading right now. This one over 6 minutes. Way longer than any of my others. I still don't understand the why the dim look. It's look wonderful through the camera viewer when I filming.
Oh well..... it'll be up there in probably a couple hours this time being as long as it is.
E

Swirl marks are no problem, my sister is a painter and is excited as all getout to paint clouds and stuff all over the ceiling after we get the primer down, which she is also jazzed to do! She's a KICK! A sweetheart through and through but DON'T cross her, she may be small but she channels CHESTY PULLER when threatened! (I "take no prisoners" and she shocks ME sometimes!)

I'm in high gear to get it all sanded and the floor cleaned of at least SOME of this dust!

The concrete floor MUST be cleaned as completely as possible before the table gets built! The dust ground into this floor for so many years will ZOOM onto the layout if I let it!

Swirl marks are no problem, my sister is a painter and is excited as all getout to paint clouds and stuff all over the ceiling after we get the primer down, which she is also jazzed to do! She's a KICK! A sweetheart through and through but DON'T cross her, she may be small but she channels CHESTY PULLER when threatened! (I "take no prisoners" and she shocks ME sometimes!)

I'm in high gear to get it all sanded and the floor cleaned of at least SOME of this dust!

The concrete floor MUST be cleaned as completely as possible before the table gets built! The dust ground into this floor for so many years will ZOOM onto the layout if I let it!

Wet mop the floor. No sweeping or vacuuming! That'll make it worse. You can also wet/damp sponge your seams and that will also take out sanding marks.

Video coming up shortly......
Stand by....

Just some musings of my own while messing with re-fitting those cars I did today.
While putting the box car on the rails I noticed the brake wheel was in the wrong place - i.e. I had the car pointed in the wrong direction based on forward travel to the train it was on.
It occurred to me I was not only being a little nit-picky about that seemingly minor detail that few outside railroading would know, but I've been doing that for months already and not even thinking about it.
I learned about it reading something about cars and the A and B ends. So I started paying attention.
Now after getting this new engine from Terry I learned all about Type I and II ditch light operationals. So I got all into that for a couple days this week.
And, in the recent month or so I've been learning about the Tier II and Tier III EPA crap they threw on the RRs - thus came the GEVOs and the SD70 and up.
Knowledge can be a dangerous thing.
Generally, I find it to be a life enriching thing and hunger for it constantly.

Just some late night thoughts. Nothing more.
E

I have no clue about that kinda stuff! As little as two months ago I woulda gave a blank stare to the term "2-10-2"!

You did not say but I'm guessing the brake wheel goes in the 'back', the end of the car that is farthest from the loco?

Not long ago, such miniscule details would not have been a consideration, suddenly it is VERY important!

Wet mop the floor. No sweeping or vacuuming! That'll make it worse. You can also wet/damp sponge your seams and that will also take out sanding marks.

Video coming up shortly......
Stand by....

Was thinking of wetting it down to get the dirt up and shopvac it away! I got a jumbo size one that will make short work of it!

I have read somewhere that a practice of placing the "B" ends of cars together was also used so that the brakes could be applied more quickly and the brakeman then only had to climb up and down once between each 2nd car and jump across the gap at the "A" ends. If true, must have been used before air brakes and brakemen were cheap, very brave and easy to replace.

Good morning. It's partly cloudy and 69.

coffee_pot_steaming_hg_wht.gifDonegalBeerMug.jpeg17314_1022333747790412_2795878639629966544_n.jpg

62 and mostly sunny here this morning.
I got a rock face learning from Woodland Scenics (LK951) in my MBK order yesterday so I'm trying it out this morning.
My first 2 casts are setting up right now.
I figured for $12 a little instruction (plus a little extra material and a mold) wouldn't hurt.
When Chet's molds come in I should know what I'm doing - as far as casting goes anyway.

Terry- Thanks for the Java . Hit the spot. It's 72 and damp here but the sun is drying the ground. Sposed to hit low 90's.

Eric- You continue to amaze. Good video.

To early to call Curt. Will do later.

Phil

62 and mostly sunny here this morning.
I got a rock face learning from Woodland Scenics (LK951) in my MBK order yesterday so I'm trying it out this morning.
My first 2 casts are setting up right now.
I figured for $12 a little instruction (plus a little extra material and a mold) wouldn't hurt.
When Chet's molds come in I should know what I'm doing - as far as casting goes anyway.

I ain't even looked out side yet, loggy and groggy, need java!

Excellent as usual on the video action! MOTIVATION!

Today I will be, sander in one hand and shopvac in the other, 1, 2, 3, and move the ladder repeat, repeat ,repeat! holding the vac near the sander and the dust goes straight in and not all over, the tiny vac on the sander is useless!

For those complaining my coffee cups are too small, I present the megacup.
32 ounces of coffee.image.jpg

Here's my 2 favorite "big" cups.
One is for race day (like today) and the other for launch days.
The big #3 should be obvious.
The one on the right is from the Discovery shuttle flight STS-26 in Sept. of 1986. It was the return to space flight after the Challenger accident. I was there for the Discovery launch. Talk about a crowd turnout!!!! Boy could I write a fun story about that 2-week adventure. What a great time!!
~

Attachments

• P9200030.JPG
    P9200030.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 206
Dang. We're already on page 25.
I suppose a new coffee shop will need opening tonight or in the morning.

Thanks for the kudos on the video. I need to figure out that lighting issue. Still pics seem fine.

My first casting came out great. Think I'll make some more. Got plenty of material for it.
E.

Back