Running Bear's Coffee Shop XLVII

Morning folks....
Are you the only one in here Karl?
Any idea where everybody is?

IMG_215332909583492_zpsnpdpnc34.jpg

Source and photographer unknown...

Good morning everybody!

38 with cloudy skies in southeast Baltimore. I woke up to find a pretty white coating of snow.

Have a great day everybody!

Hey Karl, I was late today because I have a malware program on my computer that Norton can not find and I can not isolate it either! It's not disabling my computer but it is effecting my speed and that drives me nuts! I won't allow any "hitch hikers" or "trackers", no matter how small.

If I still can't isolate it I will have to reformat my hard drive and reinstall all my software, like I have nothing better to do!!

This has never happened to me. I have Norton scan everything including all my searches.

These hacker with noting better to do are even going medical sites now? Where does it end? I have it narrowed down to the day and time within 2 hours, but I still can't isolate it, I am getting old, but at least it is not for a paying customer, it's just my PC!!! #%$^&% #^#%%@*!!!

Good morning. Cloudy and 31*F in my neighborhood. Quite a temp variation between here and Louis' neighborhood. But we're always colder out here since its a rural area. I had the privilege of driving on untreated sleet-covered roads yesterday evening, and that was scary - the roads looked exactly the same as they did when I nearly totaled my Honda Civic in 2008, with ~1/2" of frozen slush covering the asphalt.

Got a few more backdrop trees painted last night. Aside from that, nothing else to report...

2185.1169820000.jpg

Morning all. Great picture. 24 and clear this morning with a predicted high of 52. Here's my morning picture contribution.

attachment.php

Good Morning - Happy Friday! It's 34°, and overcast, with occasional snowfall.

There are some very fine photos this morning.

Louis, not that I'm an expert, by any means, but sometimes I suspect that the "protection" is the "malware". I have had numerous incidents where my PC screeches to an almost halt, then a few minutes later, a Norton "popup" appears telling me how Norton is protecting me. :rolleyes:

Tomorrow is supposed to be quite cold, but sunny. Might actually drive down to Timonium, haven't been there in a good while, and I need to get out!

Last edited by a moderator:
Karl .... I'll report for duty. Can't say where others were hiding, but now they are here with some great photos.

Here is a photo from my layout. It's a local passenger train with older equipment hauled by an SD7. A branch line track can bee seen approaching the main line track.

LocalpassengerEB_zpscf8fa612.jpg

Hey Karl, I was late today because I have a malware program on my computer that Norton can not find and I can not isolate it either! It's not disabling my computer but it is effecting my speed and that drives me nuts! I won't allow any "hitch hikers" or "trackers", no matter how small.

If I still can't isolate it I will have to reformat my hard drive and reinstall all my software, like I have nothing better to do!!

This has never happened to me. I have Norton scan everything including all my searches.

These hacker with noting better to do are even going medical sites now? Where does it end? I have it narrowed down to the day and time within 2 hours, but I still can't isolate it, I am getting old, but at least it is not for a paying customer, it's just my PC!!! #%$^&% #^#%%@*!!!

Try these:
Anti-Malware by MalwareBytes corp.
Super Anti-Spyware - it often finds things everything else misses.

After running full scans with each, have a look at your browser add-ons and look for things you don't recognize.
A lot of stuff these doesn't come in through "normal malware channels". They come in attached to install/setup programs for free software we think we'll like.

The software itself and its authors are legitimate but I suspect it's the download source that does the attaching of crap. Common ones I see are the Yahoo or Google toolbars that attach to your browser. They also change your default page to one of theirs. One of these "browser hijackers" (the new proper term for this kind stuff) will also prevent you from changing your own browser settings.

Formatting hard-drives and re-installing software is never an option in my book.
The last one I got, early last week in fact, was one called GeniusBox. The free removal tools didn't do anything. As it turned out, it was a simple matter of going to ControlPanel - Add/Remove Programs and uninstall it from there.
All done.

Good luck.
E.

Thank you Boris for your concern, but unfortunately I don't believe that is the case. I am no longer an expert either, I am more then 10 years removed from that. Now I have little more then casual knowledge, but I am quickly learning about these things now!

I was searching for information on medical sites and I think I may have picked up the malware through one of several videos I watched. The problem began the next time I used my PC. I am digging it out slowly and I should be able to resolve this soon with out having to reinstall everything. I should have done that right off the bat. Normally I can solve these things in short order, but this is the first time it has ever happened to my own PC in more then 20 years of having one. I should have known it would be a stubborn bugger! My problem is I can't sit for extended periods of time. Also rather then get frustrated I check the forum, email or other task on my PC so I only work 15 or 20 minutes at a time on it. The good news is I have made it at least 50% better. Others may not even notice it now, but I have always demanded full performance from the equipment I have. I will win, one way or another.

Thanks again :)

Nice picture Garry. Well Done. I hope I won't be a pain in the a**, but I am going to post some pictures around the state of Montana. Some I have taken and some are from the internet.

The first is the old Belgrade depot, which was taken less than a mile from where I work. The picture was taken a few years back and the depot has since been removed and moved to a different location. The second picture is an old GN car which sits in Nevada City, MT. They have a number of old railroad cars there.

attachment.php
attachment.php

The next three were taken at the old Milwaukee Road depot in Harlowtown, MT. I still have a number of relatives living there that worked for the Milwaukee Road.

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

If I am boring you, let me know and I'll stop. I have a few that old Toot will probably like of some MRL equipment and their rebuild shop is just over the pass from me in Livingston, MT. When the Burlington Northern owned it, I was friends with the shop foreman over there and got some really nice photos. Most of my pictures have had to been converted from either slides or scanned from photos and enlarged. Some may not be the best quality.

Thank you BigE,

I only wish it was so easy! I even used Norton's power eraser with no luck.

This is a tricky bugger that resides in DILLs (direct link libraries) and can mask itself. these malicious young people are too smart for their own good. It's likely something very new. Norton's will probably have an update to confront it soon enough. I just won't wait for them. I have nearly got it. I have been able to stop it from replicating and masking itself, now all I have to do it to find all of them! There are just so many DLLs!!! It has become a challenge now!

Other then Java and direct from Microsoft, I NEVER download any free software. Speaking of Java I did find a problem with the latest version had not installed correctly and that had to be addressed, nothing free is ever great in my book, but Java is a necessary evil. I am from the old school and I believe NOTHING is free. I even purchased a full version of Adobe, it comes with a lot of bells and whistles I like and use any way. For me the word FREE means walk away.

I don't have anything against reformatting hard drives and reinstalling. Just the opposite for users who do download lots of software and play games and surf hmmm... how do I say this? questionable web sites ;) it is a good idea. I am just not one of those kinds of users.

Like I said I have never had an type of malware or virus on any of my PCs. I have resolved dozens of these problems for my customers who had bought their PCs from me, but that was years ago. Back then reformatting and reinstalling was simple because Microsoft gave away free software to members of their Systems Builders Program to automate the process. The last version I have was for Windows Millennium Edition, but that certainly won't help me with my Windows 7 PC. I rarely had to do this manually.

Thank you all the same.

Oh wait, I just remembered I did download a free trial version of AnyRail and it was great, but I have since bought the full version.

Hmmmmm....I wonder...

Do you think that they'd notice, if the preserved Bipolar and Little Joe, would go missing....just saying..

Nothing else...just saying..

Oh, look....that's my coffee ready, gotta go...

Time to head home for the weekend so here's my parting picture, the old Northern Pacific depot in Missoula, MT. After sitting in front of a computer all week, I seldom use it at home during the weekend but do keep up with the forum on tap talk.

Have a good weekend.

attachment.php

Great shot again my good man!

I have to say, that I'm partial to Milwaukee Road's Missoula station....

Railroads of Montana
and the Pacific Northwest
Photography by Dale Jones​

P%20Mainstreeter%20at%20MILW%20Depot-1_zpsfp1gs4ny.jpg

Garrison%20Area_zps55p3uyfg.jpg

Billings%20Area%201956_zpssvsmw1ji.jpg

Now here is something just too dam funny!! I'm sitting here admiring this scenery and locos. I keep thinking there is something strangely familiar about them. Mostly I'm curious how they came up a red-black ying-yang.

I step away for a moment and come back just king of looking around and my eyes come upon a loco with missing drive shafts sitting just beneath this very screen. IT'S THE EXACT SAME ONE AS IN THIS PIC!!
Mine is a Rivarossi #2500 with "Radio Equipped" written next to the ying-yang on the cab.

Does anyone know the exact make and model of the real thing?
I would like to find out the details on all my engines if possible.
Yes I can supply pics now. :)
Eric.

Evening All,

Did my laundry today. After that I weathered the coaling tower then decided the final location for it. It worked out that the dead track coming off the TT was directly behind it, so I put some more track down to the back of the tower. I also did the ground cover/coal around the base. Tomorrow the only plan is to go to the club in the afternoon. My wife and daughter have a spa date tomorrow morning.

Milw113- I noticed that on Monday the RFD channel's trains and locomotives show is on the Milwaukee. This week it was on the Pennsy and LIRR.

Montanan- I will gladly look at your pictures. I appreciate everybody that shares.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Back