Coffe shop XXXIV - 9/10/12

Morning. Not a good one either. It's 63° with 94% humidity. It's mostly cloudy. The high will be 78°.
condmc-1.jpg

My nephew had one of his parties last night. It started off quiet enough but later as it grew came this strange need for it to become louder. About 9 pm it was getting really loud then something happened. It got even louder if that was possible. I could see things on the shelves actually vibrating! So I went over and asked them to turn it down. This was about 10:30. They complied and I got a little sleep but was constantly getting woke up about every 30 to 45 minutes. Then at 1 am they kicked in with the big guns! The amps must have been running flat out! DVD's were falling out of my wall racks and my emergency lantern was starting to swing on it's hook. At 1:30 I once again asked them to turn it down. By this time they were drunk enough that they had no respect for anything or anyone so naturally that didn't work. Well, I decided I might as well enjoy their bonfire. I was there until about 2:30 then went back home. Somewhere between 3:30 and 4:00 it stopped. In total I got about four hours sleep. Perhaps someday soon I'll have a chance to revisit some of their 'hospitality' on him. Maybe some late night appreciation of some big band music from the 30's and 40's while he's trying to get some sleep prior to going to work. Oh, revenge is a dish best served cold. Big band music is best appreciated at a life like volume level. In other words, loud! He hates big band music with a passion! That's just too bad as I'm rather fond of it.

I'm not really sure what I'll be doing today. I may try working on the layout a bit or I may just go back to bed. Failing that maybe a trip to town later to get one of those new Domino's deep dish pizzas. I haven't tried one of those yet.

P1010320.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
By jeffrey-wimberly;

Perhaps someday soon I'll have a chance to revisit some of their 'hospitality' on him. Maybe some late night appreciation of some big band music from the 30's and 40's while he's trying to get some sleep prior to going to work.

Glad you're in Louisiana and I'm in Illinois!:D

Just got a call from my father. He's at the ER. My mother has slipped into a coma again. We weren't expecting it. She was doing so well yesterday. He'll fill me in on the details later.

Just got a call from my father. He's at the ER. My mother has slipped into a coma again. We weren't expecting it. She was doing so well yesterday. He'll fill me in on the details later.
Something similar happened with both my parents. I would get a call from the nursing home or hospital, telling me to hurry over, there's not much time. I would, of course, go tearing off to wherever the parent was. By the time I got there, the parent (it didn't matter which one) would be sitting up in bed, eating ice cream or enjoying a cold drink. I didn't dare not go, because that would be "the time". My mother passed away just after we left her room one evening, and my father passed on in the middle of the night. While we expected it with my mother at any moment, my father really gave no hint he was about to go.
This kind of thing is nearly as tough on the family as it is on the patient.

they always go when you leave , my mom was on deaths doorstep all day while my sister & i talked to her & we stayed all day then when we went to eat at 530 she slipped away. even in a coma they dont want to leave while family is there , i know its sounds strange but, they say it happens like that all the time

Hi Jeffrey,
It's a tough situation when a parent, your Mom, gets to that point. Almost sounds like she has an infection going on in her system her body is trying to fight.

To me, the main thing, I would say, is that you let her know you love her and will miss her if she slips away. At least this way you can be more at peace with yourself knowing you said your last good bye if something should happen. And even if she is unconscious she very probably can hear you so don't be afraid to talk to her.

This brings back memories for me having lost my dear Mom a little over a year ago in a similar situation. It's not easy, my friend.

It happened just the opposite with my 92yr-old MIL. My wife Vicky had to make an emergency flight down to Alabama in early September because my sister-in-law said she was "failing fast". Then of course she perked up as soon as Vicky arrived, and continued to improve for the remainder of her 1-week visit. Then in late October, we get another call: Grandma's deteriorating again - even worse this time then the first. So Vicky flew down to AL again and got there just in the nick of time: Her mom passed away later that night. Vicky is absolutely convinced that Grandma was hanging on until she could get down there to say her last goodbye.

they always go when you leave , my mom was on deaths doorstep all day while my sister & i talked to her & we stayed all day then when we went to eat at 530 she slipped away. even in a coma they dont want to leave while family is there , i know its sounds strange but, they say it happens like that all the time

I'm glad you brought this up as it makes me feel a lot better about what happened in my case with my dear Mom who had already suffered too much and when I found out her Kidneys were failing along withe the fact she had a collapsed lung and a half plus an infection in her system and that the antibiotics did no good I decided it was time to let her go as she and I discussed before in prior times and I of course did tell her even then that I loved her and would miss her when the time came even if I didn't happen to be there.

Very fortunately when the ER called I was able to get down to see her as it was a 37 mile drive and she woke up enough so we could talk a bit and she nodded a couple of time to show she heard me and understood and slipped back into her coma and never did wake up again.

Anyway I couldn't get down to the hospital in the morning but did call and the Dr. said he couldn't arouse her so I figured I didn't want her to feel she had to linger on for me if I was there and didn't get down till after she had passed away but I've always felt a bit guilty over that but as you say she probably would have passed when I left anyway.

In my Dad's case it was quite different though, we, Mom and I, had literally just brought him home from being in the Hospital and he tried to get up from a seat we had on the back porch near the door to take one step up to get into the kitchen and stumbled back on to a couch accross the 8' wide porch. I helped him up and into the kitchen to sit in a chair there and after a bit he got a fixed look as he gazed upward at about 30* angle toward the ceiling and even raised his arm as I guess he saw the tunnel of light. He lowered his arm and I said if he could put his arm around me I would carry him to his bed. Strangely enough he did put his arm around my neck and over shoulder and I picked him up and carried down the hall into his bedroom and layed him on the bed and both his feet went completely limp and lay to the side so I think he died in my arms as I carried him down the hall which is quite a beautiful but sad thing too. Loosing parents isn't easy. Dad passed in 1989 and Mom in 2011.

Life goes on and the forum has helped for sure!

It happened just the opposite with my 92yr-old MIL. My wife Vicky had to make an emergency flight down to Alabama in early September because my sister-in-law said she was "failing fast". Then of course she perked up as soon as Vicky arrived, and continued to improve for the remainder of her 1-week visit. Then in late October, we get another call: Grandma's deteriorating again - even worse this time then the first. So Vicky flew down to AL again and got there just in the nick of time: Her mom passed away later that night. Vicky is absolutely convinced that Grandma was hanging on until she could get down there to say her last goodbye.

Ken, I firmly believe they do hang on to say good bye to their loved ones.

No news on my mothers condition.

I did a little work on the layout today but it didn't amount to much. I ordered a pack of cleaning pads for the Bachmann track cleaner car. I found that by running it in the train extends the track cleaning from once in a great while to once in a blue moon. It keeps the nickel silver oxide from building up. It's non-abrasive so doesn't hurt the smooth GLEAMed surface of the railheads. I bought one of those Domino's deep dish pan pizzas. Pepperoni, sausage, ham. Delicious! I ate half of it today. I'll finish it off tomorrow. Got bored this evening so went over and watched my nephew and some of his friends rebuild some smashed up R/C monster trucks. Man, there's a lot of parts on those things! These are the big boys that run on nitro fuel. It's easily just as expensive as model railroading.

Well that's it for today. Time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

P1010227-22.jpg

Good Morning...

Dull and rainy here...temperature about 40F going up to 48F later...in the rain.

Having some friends show up to run some trains around and kibitz for awhile...then of to the diner to see the gang...of course with the ever loving umbrella attached to us'uns...

Jeff: Both my parents went when we were at the hospital....it was pretty hard on us...:(

Good morning. It's 64° with dense fog and 100% humidity. This morning is mostly cloudy. Later it'll be partly cloudy and 78°.
pcloudy-1.jpg

My plan for today is to do more work on the layout. I need to clean up those those bits of clutter here and there that make it look like a big mess. A pen here, a small brush there, a measuring tape over here, a magnifying glass there, etc.

P1010165.jpg

I can't really complain about the dreary cloudy rain today........because we've had an awesome extended warm and sunny indian summer here. Tomorrow supposed to be 65* and less rain....maybe dry again.

Good Afternoon...

So, did we get rained on? Oh yes.....and fogged on as well...

And, we managed three hours of running time with no derailments, turnouts not turning out or anything!! yay!!

The trip to the diner was fun...you could actually see the fog rolling in from south of us..and now the town is completely fogged in for the evening...funny...the weather network has us as partly cloudy...hhhmmmnn...

Oh well...from fogged in Londontown...have a good evening!!

This is some really wacky weather we've been having lately. Our highs have been around 60 for for the last four or five days and our low temp last night was 58.

Tomorrow, the Weather Channel is calling for a high of 72 with a chance of thunderstorms! Normally, we would be looking at snow instead of thunderstorms.........needless to say, I'll take the warmer weather and some thunder over snow any day of the week.

Good Late Afternoon/Early Evening,
Hi Flo and Francine, It's nice and warm in here compared to being damp and wet outside as well as windy.

For the last three days I had Rain and fairly cold weather, right now it's 44* and raining lightly and will probably drop down to about 38* tonight. Ugh oh it snows between 36-38*, that will sure put a damper of various activities around here like getting up on the roof to do some more repair but fortunately no leaks inside, praise God!

I happened to see where several of the N scale guys were looking for Atlas code 65 True Track with the roadbed and checked my supplier and sure enough they seem to have a fair selection of the various pieces so I posted the info for them.

I've been trying to get into the finished off garage, which I keeping warm with an oil heater going low, to do some work on my layout but seem to get stuck behind this darn Electronic message box rather than being out enjoying the layout. Got to make a change soon to correct that! Well, if the truth be known I did go out there last night for a short bit and repositioned my Old Revel two stall engine house and even took the roof off and put some of the Woodland Scenics Hobby Tack on it so it would hang on much to hold the wall in position better and just realized I need to place it back on the wall sections while realigning the one outside wall which is a bit bowed.

Just had some dinner here at the dinner and coffee and I'm feeling a bit sleepy so maybe I'll take a nap for awhile?

Talk with you guys later,

Jeffrey,
I see you got the little guys really working working on your layout. I think I need to find out what your secret is as I can't get mine to do a darn thing no matter what I say to them even if it's in a fairly stern voice. I've even tried to bribe them and that only goes over big with the Hobo's and the next thing you know their camp has moved and no work was done.

I guess that's what I get for leaving the layout for so long as they seem to have lost hope of things returning to the way things were in more prosperous times. But by Gumb I'm going to turn things around and surprise them even if I have to do the work myself.

But none the less I'd still like to know how you get them so motivated?

If they ALL had the orange jump suits, all you would need would be a pot bellied deputy holding a rifle and the would be "properly motivated". :D

Back