Building the Pinnacle Creek Mining & Timber Co. RR

Good stuff guys. I guess I'm kind of a dummy when in comes to model railroading legend and folklore. Since I didn't start this hobbies until I was 61 I didn't 'growup' with most of the stuff you are talking about. Certainly I know the name Allen and Frary, but that's about it. I'll try harder. Jim:)

My wife got some flowers from her son for Mothers Day. In the vase was a plant called Babies Breath iI think. I've probably seen BB through the years but only this week have I noticed some potential.. I'm guessing BB has been used many times before through the years, but not by me. It is good for trees and shrubs. Here is a familiar scene with the BB tree in the center. Jim:)

newtree_zpsa4d94096.jpg
PHOTO NOT FOUND. SORRY

Last edited by a moderator:
Good stuff guys. I guess I'm kind of a dummy when in comes to model railroading legend and folklore. Since I didn't start this hobbies until I was 61 I didn't 'growup' with most of the stuff you are talking about. Certainly I know the name Allen and Frary, but that's about it. I'll try harder. Jim:)

"Don't you worry about that now" (quote from one of our previous state leaders). I had a gap of 40+ years and that MR mag I referred to was my only modelling reference. Until I joined my club a few years ago I didn't even pronounce the G&D name correctly.

Thanks for the compliment RR. I don't know how I missed these over the years.:eek:

Toot, Not much gets me too worked up these days. Jim CM&T:)

Your new tree really fits in nicely into the scene, kind of makes that area “pop”. I’m certainly not the one to give advice on scenery foliage, I haven’t even started my caspia evergreen trees yet, but you can find many useful items in the dried flower section of Hobby Lobby. Going with my wife to HL, I’ll be the one that ends up in the dried flora section looking at all the different possibilities. I’ll be thinking that one could make a good bush, or that one might be some flowers. Literally the possibilities are endless. - Chris

Chris, No Hobby Lobby here in San Diego. I make do with floral shops and Micheals.

RR, I forgot about them I see two cars that are on my must have list. Thanks for the link.

Sherrel, I feel the same way about these ore cars. Nothing to fancy. If you want them to look 'older' you can scribe the sides, not the metal bits, with a pin and they look even older after painting and a black was. Jim:)

A bit of a segue......sorry, Jim.
I drove up to Kingston, Squim & back home over the last 3 days. Squim is on far the North end of the Olympic Peninsula for you living outside of Washington.
Saw a lot of trees.....
One spot clearcut approx 10-15 yrs ago (WAG) was left with some trees scattered about rather than cut with the rest. It gives a good look at the growth pattern of densely packed second growth (I assume 2nd).......lotta trunk with sparse, narrow foliage for the top third. 100'+ tall......much more sparse than what I have made.......but green clear to the tip. Gonna fix that.

Also spotted just one "mushroom tree" (I'm told there were 10-12 of em'). A tree topped bout 40' up with a great freakin'' rock balanced on top.......some loggers with a sense of humor & some spare time on their hands , I'm told......the rocks were BIG......8-10 feet across as a guesstimate from 500+ yards away@ 60mph. I gotta throw a couple of those into my modeling mix.

I'd never seen tall (80') spindly Madronna(sp?) Trees (an evergreen with leaves) like those. Those I grew up with were monster things, 6-8' at the base with a 100+' canopy ("get the **** down from there, knuckelhead.....carefully" DOD yells)......give or take. Yeah, it rains up that way......:eek:
Next week I'll take my camera. It's a 250 mile drive, but lotso trees to look at.:D

JPIII, That's Sequim on Squim. Don't ask me why.:D

Clear cutting techniques changed in the 60s and 70s. The idea was if you left a few trees it would help regrowth. Not sure this wasn't a more 'visual' fix. Seems like tree planting is more productive.
I Googled Boulders in Trees. Interesting!

Here's a pick of a sort of clear cut on my first layout in 2007. Jim :)

IMG_21161.jpg

Jim, was this back in your N scale days? I like the way the train is coming out of what seems like a gully. And again, your ground covering scenery is excellent. - Chris

I don't know whether to be astounded or dismayed, feel encouraged or discouraged, Jim. The fact that this was your first layout is awe inspiring enough, that it was done in such a tiny scale is just................I dunno...........mind blowing.

Toot, Thanks. It is okay to be astounded.;) I find that 'realistic scenery' in Z scale is difficult to pull off. That I may have is fine with me.:D Just for the record I did have 26"x36" layout on my sailboat, but this is my first 'big' endeavor.

Also from this layout is this:

IMG_19722.jpg

Fly fishing anyone? Jim :)

Toot, for some reason this is one of my favorite Z photos. It shows all sorts of insects and there is even a beehive somewhere 'I think.' Jim :eek:

IMG_20571.jpg

My experience with Z (many years ago) was it was fun and fast to build but not so fun to operate. No need to super detail as weathering and a little work fooled the eye. I love these photos.

Steve

Back