Modeling Cliches to Avoid when Building your Layout

Let's not forget the fire scene, or the circus...:rolleyes:

As for Hotwheels unweathered or unmodified, how about not at all..they're 1/64th scale or thereabouts. Tree size is another problem. Take a look at how large prototype trees really are in relation to locos & rolling stock, then look at what many of us use. They're more like large shrubs than trees. Trees also appear in cities. Take a look at photos in the Chicago area, it's surprising how many there are. These are all good things though, because you're never really done unless you want to be. The number one goof is: Too much stuff in not enough space. Less is more. Remember the "spaghetti bowl" track plans back in the 60"s, where the object seemed to be to squeeze in as much track as possible no matter what?

Last edited by a moderator:
On the vein of plywood, pink or blue foam. Paint it when you lay it. You can still write on it. And I got a gallon of tan paint for $5 by looking through unclaimed special orders.

Absolutely table flat layout----anyone think of drainage----please?(
I'm working on this now. With a background in hydrology, it just doesn't look right without the drainages.

I also have a background in geology, though, and feel somehow compelled to have a geologically-credible and interesting underpinning to the payout. Rock stuck in the scenery here and there make me cringe. It will be a challenge, though, to get it right. I mean, I've got to start with the whole depositional history and all!

I'm working on this now. With a background in hydrology, it just doesn't look right without the drainages.

I'm currently designing the scenery for my Free-mo module, so since I'm used to modeling everything with contours at work, that's the way I'm going with my design. Once I have sections cut along the creek that figures in prominently along the right-of-way, I may have to run HEC-RAS just to see where to put the high-water debris in the brush along the banks. Now that would be completely over the top!

Excellent! And of course you'll need a stage stick on a bridge, and maybe even a USGS gauge house. Now you've got me thinking.

Now, see, I'm more into radioactive and hazardous waste these days, so I'll be having a little cleanup job going on out back of the roundhouse, where Buddy used to dump the barrels... and a bit of brown goo with a sheen getting into the creek.

Jack,

I, on the other hand, feel within my rights to make up an old geological formations that come to my mind.

traincity64.jpg

Rock Ridge looks like platy jointing in basalt... which I'm not sure does platy jointing. Andesite does, but it's not that color as I remember....

Espee Fan,

Generally, I agree with you on the Hot Wheels being oversized. However... don't recall where I saw it, but I saw some trucks on a layout once where someone had taken some time and tried to make credible models out of them -- and actually did a pretty good job. They removed the oversized wheels and replaced them with Herpa (or similar) wheels, added side-view mirrors, mudflaps, etc., then painted in reasonable colors, decaled and weathered, etc. I wish I'd taken a picture or two -- they looked pretty good!

But, more often than not... gotta agree with you!! :D

Regards,
Tom Stockton

Sounds interesting. You'd have to be really careful where you put them in relationship to the trains or any structures. Off by themselves on a road might work. I also collect some diecast, and the old Matchbox Series were actually designed to fit in the box, not really to any specific scale. 1/64th is just an average. Some of the O gauge guys really like the Models of Yesteryear. Those are mostly 1/43rd, pretty close to O's 1/48th. There may be some cars & trucks in the series that this works with better with than others. These days we have such a great selection of 1/87th vehicles, it's pretty much no longer necessary!

Alan

paint

Tom, Are you shaming me into painting.:rolleyes: I guess we do need to do that.:D. Now, what is a good paint for the flying saucer;)Carl

Carl,

Paint for a flying saucer, eh? Hmmm... does anyone make that new paint the military uses to make things invisible!?? :D:D LOL!

Tom

After reading all of these "Glitches" of our railroads I think maybe I should start over, Naw, it's to late & I'm getting tooo old. It sure seems like we lose sight of the original perspective of model railroading. Do it your way no matter what. I take time to do certain things(not many)on the layout, but, I get bored easy & I start doing another area before I get finished w/what I was doing now. That sounds funny. I like the idea of weathering all of your buildings, rolling stock & whatever else. Maybe someday. I think people that put pictures in Magazines should proof read their pictures before sending them in especially when you see all of the buildings floating in the air on the street side.
You ever leave a hammer laying on the roof of a building when the photographer from the local newspaper shows up to write a story & see it the day the paper comes out.
Ever have engines sitting next to a building(not on the tracks) when all your visitors show up for a photo shoot. Happens to all of us(or to me) sometimes. An artist always looks at your backdrop w/scrutiny(sp) of "what the heck is that" supposed to be.
I tried for a year to find someone to paint my backdrop at what I wanted to pay them(not much), so, I did it myself. Now I'm trying to hide it w/mountains & buildings.LOL
A visitor came in last week & said I had a super backdrop & I think she was blind.
Anyway, a lot of good idea's from everyone & I'll try to do better, maybe, not, nada or something like that.

well, of course you all realize that MY layout will have the obligatory horse show scene, with a rider down in the ring, horse standing by, and ambulance in attendance.
:D :D :D

I hope I can find little tiny ponies, and little tiny riders properly dressed to go with them!

As for Hotwheels unweathered or unmodified, how about not at all..they're 1/64th scale or thereabouts.

Dang, That decimates my whole motor vehicle fleet of Hot Wheels and Matchboxes of fifty-plus vehicles. There's going to be a nightmare at the HO DMV when the operator's permit for those vehicles are revoked...

I guess, and I'm newbie here so please correct me if I am wrong, that Lego buildings are not appropriate either...

lmao... :D

I guess, and I'm newbie here so please correct me if I am wrong, that Lego buildings are not appropriate either...lmao... :D

Actually there is an O scale layout not far from me that uses Lego buildings exclusively and actually looks pretty good!
When you are concentrating on watching the trains the rest is really a bonus, in this instance anyway.:D

Ha ha.... after reading thru all of these post I have been found guilty of a few things. But im not saying what... I will say that my past layouts have had just about every clink mentioned so far ....LOL!!!!

Wow! There have been some really good posts here! There are three in particular that I would like to comment on...

(1) Santa Fe Jack said:

"Rock stuck in the scenery here and there makes me cringe."

As an aside -- check out Santa Fe Jack's layout at http://ho.tauxe.net -- IMHO, I really like this website and the model railroad being built. Well thought-out with good pictures and descriptions -- I am looking forward to watching the progress here!

(2) Which got this reply from Chip (SpaceMouse):

I, on the other hand, feel within my rights to make up an old geological formations that come to my mind.

That kinda hit home with me, as I know very little about geology. When I do finally get around to building a layout, I always thought I'd just "plop" rock work wherever it looked right to me. Now, I may just have to re-think that... What might look good to my eye may make other folks cringe!

(3) But then, Larry "hit the nail on the head" with his observation:

Do it your way no matter what.

And while I (and others) may not like what you do -- in the end (unless you're being paid to build a model railroad for someone else), there's only one person you really have to please -- you. I already know that I'm going to do some things that others will think I should have done differently. But it will be my railroad -- and if it makes me happy, then it's all good!

Still -- I am really enjoying this thread! If nothing else, it is helping me to see through the eyes of others, and giving some insights on what "bothers" other folks -- and maybe planting the seeds that will help me build a better model railroad!

Regards,
Tom Stockton

Tom, If you come up w/some seeds that grow on a Layout I would be extremely interested.

chia seeds. with even a minute amount of water, they stick to ANY surface, and grow like wildfire. just spritz a bit, and then trim as needed.

:D :D

Back