Static Grass help

HO Scale MILW

A Normal, Regular, Train Fan
So yesterday I picked up a static grass applicator, Woodland Senics, and some 12 MM light green static grass. I only tried a small small area on the layout, maybe 2 square inches, but it did not work so well. I used a tack-like glue and tomorrow I am getting some regular white glue which I will water down. I heard that if you touch the alligator clip on the end while the applicator is on, it will give you a static shock. I touched it to see if it gave me a shock to see if the applicator was working right, and it did not. I also heard the metal stand the alligator clip clips to does not work so well and that a nail or T-pin works well. If there is any advice for when I properly test it tomorrow, please tell me! - Ho Scale MILW

1669655809274.png

1669655832299.png
'
Does anybody know how to get a better charge? I'm using 12mm static grass with the Woodland Senics applicator. I'm also using Elmer's Glue all,
Slightly watered down. The grass does not seem to stand up and I guess I'll post more photos once the glue is dried. PLEASE TELL ME ANY ADVICE YOU HAVE FOR STATIC GRASS!!! Unless this is how it's supposed to look..........

1669674832367.png

This is before the shop-vac, I used the static king and it doesn't seem to work.... In fact, putting it down by hand and using the shop vac to make it stand up seemed to work better

something not working right that grass should be standing up Are you using a battery or a power supply and is the power light on
Maybe just a defective unit

I have never had any success with static grass longer then 6mm. 6mm and below the grass does stand straight up. I have a homemade static application and I use a 12volt wall supply to power it. If I touch the screen on my applicator, I definitely feel it.

I hand plant 12mm as I had similar lack of grass standing up

Does the Woodland Scenic applicator have a plug-in besides the battery? I would try a different battery just as a double check.

Yes it does have a wall wart plug in, and I've tried 2 batteries. I guess I've never thought that it could just be the grass! Have you had similar results to me with the 12mm grass? If so that makes me feel much better that it is probably not my machine acting weird. I just got it 2 days ago and decided to only get 12mm grass, so next time I go to the hobby shop I'll get some varying sizes. Thanks for the advice! Much obliged!

I agree about grass length. I had good luck with 2mm and 4mm using a homemade applicator that started life as a tennis racquet shaped bug zapper from Harbor freight.

12mm grass would be about 3 and a half feet at HO scale, which would be too tall for prairie grass anyway.

Thanks for the advice! I know HO is 1/87 but did not know the exact scaling with the 12mm grass. I definitely think 6mm would work better for my prairies. Do you think the 12mm grass would work better for a midwestern marsh?

Sure! marsh grasses are easily waist high, so 3 feet is just about perfect. But as you have found, it can be a challenge to get that long of a blade of grass to stand.

I'd go ahead and get some shorter stuff, and the look into methods where you lay down some shorter stuff first, then over-plant the longer stuff. The theory is that the shorter grasses help support the longer stems.

Also, you mentioned that people suggest using a nail or screw rather than the do-hickey that came with the applicator. I use a good size nail, and just clip it inside the alligator clip. Touch the nail to the surface you want to plant grass on, then hover the applicator as close as you can to "tease up" one end.

You can also try to wet the whole area a bit, it will help the electrons find their way. The static charge is only so strong, and it needs to pull one side of the grass up while leaving one side "planted."

It's important for the strands to fall as the are oriented "up and down." If a blade falls flat on its side, it's too late, unless you can swoop in really closely to allow the static to work its magic. The idea is to get the blades to "land" standing up. And you may need to hold the applicator there for a few seconds to let things "settle" into place without "laying down."

Just curious what is the static voltage rating on the woodland model I don't see it listed anywhere

Scenic express has one listed at 11,000 volts and another at 16,000 volts

Just for reference Electric fence 2,000-3,000 v cattle prod 4,000 v A static shock in house com is 5,000 up to 15,000
and if you ever touched an electric fence :eek:

me thinks you have a dud unit

Just curious what is the static voltage rating on the woodland model I don't see it listed anywhere

Scenic express has one listed at 11,000 volts and another at 16,000 volts

Just for reference Electric fence 2,000-3,000 v cattle prod 4,000 v A static shock in house com is 5,000 up to 15,000
and if you ever touched an electric fence :eek:

me thinks you have a dud unit
well, I hope I don't have a dud! Ill get some 6mm and some 4 mm

Back