Designing Layout #6 - I had an epiphany

Marlin39

I learned a lot with this one, but I am bored with it. I have to admit that I did a poor job designing it for operation. Being honest with myself I built a 12' operating diorama, to display all my structures.

That is the epiphany I had.....this is why I get bored so fast. I finish building the layout, proudly sit back and try to switch cars a bit, add some more details, try to switch cars logically to no avail, take some photos, add some more detail, run an engine for a few minutes, then think about the next layout.

I enjoy the structure, scenery, and detail building part of the hobby. (Operating Diorama;)) Laying track, wiring, and ballasting (I just hate ballasting) are things I have to tolerate. I need to make it operational, not just a test track for photos.

Anyways, I came across this youtube video that gave me some inspiration. He ended up with a final design of a 20"x12' shelf and I have 2'x12'. His video on the design "process" is the best I have seen yet. You need to watch it on YouTube ONLY.

My new layout will have:

1. Staging/interchange tracks - logical inbound and outbound

2. Branchline engine facility - switch the interchange cars

3. Fewer, more focused, industries. I packed every structure I had ever built on the current one. 3-4 industries per siding looks great from an artistic standpoint, but junky/cramped/cluttered from an operational one. I can always swap out industries to change the look if I want.

4. No more #4 switches. Operationally they work fine with small, 4 axle, 1st generation engines and 40' cars, but just don't look right.

5. Keep the track plan simple. Fewer chances for electrical issues and derailments.

Last edited:
It looks like you have a nice list of requirements for your next project. Each layout is a journey in learning what it takes to make a finished product that satisfies the builder. My last one taught me many things. One of those is that I'm a modeler/builder more than an operator. I like the ability to do continuous runs when I just want to relax and run trains, but still want the ability to run operations as well. You seem to like operations but then I find myself wondering if maybe you're really more of a builder than operator too.

UPDATE

I really did some thinking about what I really wanted out of this next layout and it was "prototypical operation". This is going to be a 180 from what I have been doing all these years......basically building a highly detailed, operating, large shelf diorama....whimsical or freelanced.

Step 1 - I bought Lance Mindheim's "How to Design a Small Switching Layout" and "How to Operate a Switching Layout". Both were very eye opening for me. It changed my mindset from running trains to a prototype operation session. I really liked Lance's approach to layout design and operation.

Step 2 - I decided to contact Lance (lmindheim@shelflayouts.com) and we had several conversations about what I wanted to do, layout footprint, modeling era, where the prototype was, etc. It ended up being a hybrid consulting/layout design project at a fair price. He was able to put together a plan that was just about a perfect match to what I was wanting to do, but I hadn't been able to put down on paper.

I'm in the process of tearing down the current layout and i will post progress reports as the project progresses.

Last edited:
Demolition has begun:confused:. I'm a little sad, but it's time for a change.

I saved the trees, structures, and detail parts, but I am trashing everything else including track. the current switches are #4 and I am going to #6 so it looks a little closer to prototype.

Attachments

• DSCN2523.JPG
    DSCN2523.JPG
    348.4 KB · Views: 10
The new layout is a small branch line that has 5 turnouts, no runarounds, 1 major industry, and 2-3 minor ones. The footprint will be just about the same, 10'x2', with a 3'x15" extension on the end.

It's set in the 1960's Oregon Willamette Valley, serviced by the SP, with the major source of rail traffic being a fruit/vegetable cannery. Boxcars for canning blanks, labels, packing boxes, out going finished products. Tank cars for fructose syrup, an occasional gondola for can scrap, etc.

The other sources of traffic are a farm/Ag supply, team track, and a small bulk heating oil/fuel dealer.

I'm kit bashing all the structures or modifying several that I have.

I'm also going to try something different this time instead of building on top of pink foam, I'm either going to lay down homasote (if I can find it) or 1/4" plywood with 1/4" cork sheet on top.

I'll start a new construction thread once I get done with the demo.

Back