Running Bear's May 2024 Coffee Shop

Landed back in SLC last night a little after 10pm. Taxied around a bit and then it took a while to get off the plane as it was full and I was waiting for the people in front to get off. Medium walk to the front pickup place. Wife had to drive around a few times as they don’t allow you to sit and wait and she got there right as we were landing. Delta has free Wi-Fi for skymiles members (don’t need any status) so I had gotten her message when she arrived as she arrived. Right about touch down time. I was home by 11pm. Probably in bed and ready for eyes shut around 12:30am. Slept in this morning and it’s now noon and I’m ready for breakfast. (Been up since a little past 10am but talking to the wife, reading emails, etc.). Time to eat and go lay flooring.

The quick trip was good. I got to meet, face to face, my boss and his boss, with wh I’d only done video chats and stuff before. Also met a guy who I’d helped with something 2 years ago. He’s since joined this other group which just got added to our group. And caught up with folks I’d not seen in person for 5-7 years. And met the folks from this new group. They’re based in Orlando and have an app that helps hospitals keep patient family up to date (one way updates) on their family member patient. Small team that was acquired a few years ago and is now being more integrated. They’re nice guys and will be good to work with long term. We showed our stuff to them and they showed their stuff to us.

Just got a NWS notification on my phone. Maybe it was on X and an X notification. Supposedly a late winter storm is rolling in Sunday evening — Tuesday. Rain but possibly snow. It’s been warm during the day but the last bit it’s been colder at night. Into the mid to upper 30s. It’s probably been 10 days since we had a spell of 27-32 F at night over a couple days.

Good afternoon. It's partly sunny and 91.
I don't know if anybody else has experienced this, but it seems Ebay goes through a cycle of good/bad. In the last two weeks, I've made a purchase from a scammer, UPS misdelivered a package, and now a seller was supposed to have my purchase to me by today, but hasn't shipped yet.

The 150th Kentucky Derby!

Live TV coverage began at 2:30 p.m. ET on NBC
Post Time is approximately 6:50 p.m. ET

• 1 DORNOCH
    West Paces Racing LLC, R. A. Hill Stable, Belmar Racing and Breeding LLC, Two Eight Racing LLC & Pine Racing Stables
    Danny Gargan - Odds 22-1
    Dornoch in The Remsen (G2) at Aqueduct

• 2 SIERRA LEONE
    Magnier, Mrs. John, Tabor, Michael B., Smith, Derrick, Westerberg, Rocket Ship Racing, LLC and Brant, Peter M.
    Chad Brown - Odds 5-1
    Sierra Leone at Aqueduct

• 3 MYSTIK DAN
    Lance Gasaway, 4 G Racing LLC & Daniel Hamby III
    Kenny McPeek - Odds 15-1
    MYSTIK-DAN-11-12-23-R04-Churchill-Downs-Finish-01-640x512.jpg

• 4 CATCHING FREEDOM
    Albaugh Family Stables LLC
    Brad Cox - Odds 7-1
    Catching Freedom wins the 2023 Smarty Jones S. at Oaklawn Park

• 5 CATALYTIC
    Tami Bobo, Julie Davies & George G. Isaacs
    Saffie Joseph Jr. - Odds 33-1
    Catalytic-AC-credit-Ryan-Thompson262-640x512.jpg

• 6 JUST STEEL
    BC Stables LLC
    Wayne Lukas - Odds 25-1
    JustSteel-Saratoga2023-ACSusieRaisher-640x427.jpg

• 7 HONOR MARIE
    Ribble Farms LLC
    Whit Beckman - Odds 12-1
    Honor Marie winning The Kentucky Jockey Club (G2) at Churchill Downs

• 8 JUST A TOUCH
    Qatar Racing (Sheikh Fahad Al Thani), Resolute Racing & Marc Detampel
    Brad Cox - Odds 10-1
    Just-a-Touch-Hodges-Photography-640x457.jpg

• 10 T O PASSWORD (JPN)
    Tomoya Ozasa
    Daisuke Takayanagi - Odds 49-1
    T O Password(JPN) with jockey Katsuma Sameshima wins, Fukuryu Stakes, Nakayama Racecourse, Japan 3.23.2024 Japan road to kentucky derby.

• 11 FOREVER YOUNG (JPN)
    Susumu Fujita
    Yoshito Yahagi - Odds 6-1
    IMG_1081-640x427.jpg

• 12 TRACK PHANTOM
    L and N Racing LLC, Brewster, Clark O., Caroom, Jerry and Breeze Easy, LLC
    Steve Asmussen - Odds 40-1
    Gun-Runner.jpg

• 13 WEST SARATOGA
    Harry L. Veruchi
    Larry Demeritte - Odds 23-1
    west-saragota-640x512.jpg

• 14 ENDLESSLY
    Amerman Racing LLC
    Michael McCarthy - Odds 48-1
    ENDLESSLY-Jeff-Ruby-Steaks-G3-Cp-03-23-24-R12-Turfway-Park-Finish-01-Sammantha-Pagels24-640x512.jpg

• 15 DOMESTIC PRODUCT
    Klaravich Stables Inc.
    Chad Brown - Odds 29-1
    Domestic Product winning at Belmont Big A

• 16 GRAND MO THE FIRST
    Granpollo Stables LLC
    Victor Barboza Jr. - Odds 44-1
    Grand-Mo-the-First-ACcredit-Lauren-King224-640x512.jpg

• 17 FIERCENESS
    Repole Stable
    Todd Pletcher - Odds 7-2
    fierceness-breeders-cup-11032023-horsephotos1-640x427.jpg

• 18 STRONGHOLD
    Eric M. Waller & Sharon Waller
    Phil D'Amato - Odds 34-1
    Touchuponastar-12092023-LouisianaChampionsDayClassic-HodgesPhotographyCredittoLouHodgesJr.FairGrounds1-640x457.jpg

• 19 RESILIENCE
    Emily Bushnell & Ric Waldman
    Bill Mott - Odds 29-1
    Resilience-credit-Coglianese-Lauren-King42-640x512.jpg

• 20 SOCIETY MAN
    Reeves Thoroughbred Racing; West Paces Racing; GMP Stables; and Carl & Yurie Pascarella
    Danny Gargan - Odds 47-1
    Society-Man-AC-67-1-640x512.jpg

• 21 EPIC RIDE
    Welch Racing LLC
    John Ennis Odds 46-1
    Epic Ride wins at Turfway Park

• 22 MUGATU
    Average Joe Racing Stables Ltd. & Dan Wells
    Jeff Engler - Scratch

• 9 ENCINO
    Godolphin LLC
    Brad Cox - Scratch
Odds were current at the time of the post but may have changed.

Last edited:
The 150th Kentucky Derby!

Live TV coverage began at 2:30 p.m. ET on NBC
Post Time is approximately 6:50 p.m. ET

• 1 DORNOCH
    West Paces Racing LLC, R. A. Hill Stable, Belmar Racing and Breeding LLC, Two Eight Racing LLC & Pine Racing Stables
    Danny Gargan - Odds 22-1
    Dornoch in The Remsen (G2) at Aqueduct

• 2 SIERRA LEONE
    Magnier, Mrs. John, Tabor, Michael B., Smith, Derrick, Westerberg, Rocket Ship Racing, LLC and Brant, Peter M.
    Chad Brown - Odds 5-1
    Sierra Leone at Aqueduct

• 3 MYSTIK DAN
    Lance Gasaway, 4 G Racing LLC & Daniel Hamby III
    Kenny McPeek - Odds 15-1
    MYSTIK-DAN-11-12-23-R04-Churchill-Downs-Finish-01-640x512.jpg

• 4 CATCHING FREEDOM
    Albaugh Family Stables LLC
    Brad Cox - Odds 7-1
    Catching Freedom wins the 2023 Smarty Jones S. at Oaklawn Park

• 5 CATALYTIC
    Tami Bobo, Julie Davies & George G. Isaacs
    Saffie Joseph Jr. - Odds 33-1
    Catalytic-AC-credit-Ryan-Thompson262-640x512.jpg

• 6 JUST STEEL
    BC Stables LLC
    Wayne Lukas - Odds 25-1
    JustSteel-Saratoga2023-ACSusieRaisher-640x427.jpg

• 7 HONOR MARIE
    Ribble Farms LLC
    Whit Beckman - Odds 12-1
    Honor Marie winning The Kentucky Jockey Club (G2) at Churchill Downs

• 8 JUST A TOUCH
    Qatar Racing (Sheikh Fahad Al Thani), Resolute Racing & Marc Detampel
    Brad Cox - Odds 10-1
    Just-a-Touch-Hodges-Photography-640x457.jpg

• 10 T O PASSWORD (JPN)
    Tomoya Ozasa
    Daisuke Takayanagi - Odds 49-1
    T O Password(JPN) with jockey Katsuma Sameshima wins, Fukuryu Stakes, Nakayama Racecourse, Japan 3.23.2024 Japan road to kentucky derby.

• 11 FOREVER YOUNG (JPN)
    Susumu Fujita
    Yoshito Yahagi - Odds 6-1
    IMG_1081-640x427.jpg

• 12 TRACK PHANTOM
    L and N Racing LLC, Brewster, Clark O., Caroom, Jerry and Breeze Easy, LLC
    Steve Asmussen - Odds 40-1
    Gun-Runner.jpg

• 13 WEST SARATOGA
    Harry L. Veruchi
    Larry Demeritte - Odds 23-1
    west-saragota-640x512.jpg

• 14 ENDLESSLY
    Amerman Racing LLC
    Michael McCarthy - Odds 48-1
    ENDLESSLY-Jeff-Ruby-Steaks-G3-Cp-03-23-24-R12-Turfway-Park-Finish-01-Sammantha-Pagels24-640x512.jpg

• 15 DOMESTIC PRODUCT
    Klaravich Stables Inc.
    Chad Brown - Odds 29-1
    Domestic Product winning at Belmont Big A

• 16 GRAND MO THE FIRST
    Granpollo Stables LLC
    Victor Barboza Jr. - Odds 44-1
    Grand-Mo-the-First-ACcredit-Lauren-King224-640x512.jpg

• 17 FIERCENESS
    Repole Stable
    Todd Pletcher - Odds 7-2
    fierceness-breeders-cup-11032023-horsephotos1-640x427.jpg

• 18 STRONGHOLD
    Eric M. Waller & Sharon Waller
    Phil D'Amato - Odds 34-1
    Touchuponastar-12092023-LouisianaChampionsDayClassic-HodgesPhotographyCredittoLouHodgesJr.FairGrounds1-640x457.jpg

• 19 RESILIENCE
    Emily Bushnell & Ric Waldman
    Bill Mott - Odds 29-1
    Resilience-credit-Coglianese-Lauren-King42-640x512.jpg

• 20 SOCIETY MAN
    Reeves Thoroughbred Racing; West Paces Racing; GMP Stables; and Carl & Yurie Pascarella
    Danny Gargan - Odds 47-1
    Society-Man-AC-67-1-640x512.jpg

• 21 EPIC RIDE
    Welch Racing LLC
    John Ennis Odds 46-1
    Epic Ride wins at Turfway Park

• 22 MUGATU
    Average Joe Racing Stables Ltd. & Dan Wells
    Jeff Engler - Scratch

• 9 ENCINO
    Godolphin LLC
    Brad Cox - Scratch
Odds were current at the time of the post but may have changed.
Saw a post today on FB that referred to the Derby as Amish Nascar! 😁

Hello All!!!
Glad to see the lights were on.
Flo, when you're done for the evening, we should jump in your car, ride out to the darkest Broake & Howe RR crossing. Probably won't catch a train but there's sure to be lightning bugs. You can rest your head on my shoulder while the doo wop plays.

Some of y'all may remember I picked up a brass Pennsy caboose a couple of weeks ago, and had ordered couplers for it. The couplers arrived yesterday in the mail, and I installed them. I then discovered the next issue with the caboose. The trucks and wheelsets were metal, and conduct electricity very effectively. I scrounged around, and found an old set of Bowser coil-eliptic trucks, nipped off the couplers, and installed them. The original couplers had brass washers as shims for height, which I re-used to get the coupler height correct. I then put the caboose on the layout with a set of BLI F units, and let it run around for a while. After an hour of mosey-ing around the layout, everything stopped again with a short detected. I picked up the caboose, and one of the trucks remained on the track. I looked around and found the mounting screw, but I still haven't found that brass washer. I gave up looking after about 30 minutes, and will start looking again for it. I know it's there--somewhere.
At least it's a small layout...

Good morning from So. Central Wisconsin! 43f degrees now with high 60’s later and no rain in the forecast. Yesterday’s rains went south of us, missing us entirely!

The curse of living in a neighborhood, NEIGHBORS! This morning at 12:50 trying to sleep, I heard the sirens coming down from the fire department. Then they stopped, then the whole house seemed to be rumbling, so looking out the window, nothing! I could hear the rumbling engines and feel the shaking. Go to the front of the house and the local rescue squad, 2 ambulances and a bunch of squad cars are in the street and going in and out of the apartments across the street. About 1:15 both ambulances pulled out and when they got out on the main road at least 1 turned the sirens on. No idea what happened, but it’s a neighborhood, I’ll know by noon. The deer out on the property never woke me at 12:50am.

No idea when the Crew picking up weathered cars will be here today. I’m thinking now maybe early Monday morning. The CPKC steam train schedule published yesterday showed it leaves St Paul at 1230 arriving in Portage at 1630. If that 6 hour window is correct the Steamer has the right of way today. I remember chasing UP’s 4014 Big Boy a few years ago through the Wisconsin countryside, it was on schedule to the minute of the timetable put online.

Enjoy the day

Good Morning All. Happy Cinco de Mayo. Cloudy and 65° here after an overnight rain. It must have been a gentle one, as it never woke me up and I didn't notice while on a bathroom trip. There was no wind either; windows were open on all sides of the house and no wet window sills. But Mr rain gauge had a fresh 1" in it this morning and there are puddles and runoff in the usual places. Another 2 days of this in the forecast. Why can't this be happening after I remove the pool cover so I don't have to pay to fill it up???

Nothing really going on around the homestead right now. The incessant rain has everything in a holding pattern, but the weather pattern will soon change and hot and dry will be here. We had over 9" fall in April, about twice the normal, and 2.5" fall in the first 5 days in May. Most years, May is our heaviest month. I did get a chance to pick some Green Peas from the garden yesterday. Not quite enough for a meal yet, but they go from perfect to over-ripe overnight, so I had to rescue them. Today's picking, after they dry, will provide more than enough and I'll most likely be processing them (freezing) by Wednesday or Thursday.

While I spent a good bit of time out in the train shed yesterday, much of it was minor stuff. I re-arranged the structures in the new project area a few times but ended up back where I pictured them yesterday. I'll look at again today and then begin adding roads. I will still need to add the backdrop across the window but I am waiting for dry ground outside before cutting the plywood to fit. Not a big issue yet, as I make all structures removable so they won't be in the way when I can tackle it.
I returned to the cemetery and added 24 more headstones and then shuffled through some semi-stashed projects for something to occupy the workbench. I found half of a simple Bar Mills kit for some outbuildings so I started it.
IMG_0081.JPG

The missing pieces on the carriers went into the other structure. It's over in the paint booth right now getting a coat of primer.
IMG_0083.JPG

IMG_0084.JPG

With it out of the way, I started adding the tarpaper to the roof.
IMG_0082.JPG

I'm not particularly fond of those nail holes, but they won't be seen where I intend to use this.

Todd - Good luck with the Bacterial Pneumonia and the treatment routine. Seems yucky to me, but you have to do what you have to do. And best wishes for your daughter as well.

Short and sweet today. I'll leave you with that. Everyone have a great Sunday.

Morning folks

46, cloudy, with a forecast high of 61 and afternoon rain. I'm not moving too fast after the antique tractor extraction yesterday. That went smoothly but moving all the stuff that was removed from the shed back into it didn't do my back and shoulder any favors.
A couple of friends that helped with that task.
53699321644_68a67c9983_b.jpg

Trying to build some enthusiasm for baking another batch of cereal but that is proving difficult.

Blame it on me --- yesterday was a beautiful day, but turned cool, almost cold as the ocean influence infilled the picture; woke up to wet streets and low clouds and reduced visibility
It just has been an unusual, almost cold year. The nice thing about is the fact that the yard sprinklers have not been on all this year? The Gardner yesterday reminded the Spousal Unit that I needed to turn them on again!
Looking for a high of 63 today and while talking - the sky has changed to BIG puffy clouds with large holes between and deep blue sky showing - pretty!

LOUIS, I'm still very wobbly, but thanks for the vote of confidence. That was a very good finish - exciting finish.
TODD, very sorry to hear of your trials! Stay safe and follow the doctors orders?
Nice photo there - GRIZZLED! Been a long time since I have seen an OLIVER!

HollowMan say's he is going to let the tax cuts expire ... that should just about do me in!

Good Morning All. Happy Cinco de Mayo. Cloudy and 65° here after an overnight rain. It must have been a gentle one, as it never woke me up and I didn't notice while on a bathroom trip. There was no wind either; windows were open on all sides of the house and no wet window sills. But Mr rain gauge had a fresh 1" in it this morning and there are puddles and runoff in the usual places. Another 2 days of this in the forecast. Why can't this be happening after I remove the pool cover so I don't have to pay to fill it up???

Nothing really going on around the homestead right now. The incessant rain has everything in a holding pattern, but the weather pattern will soon change and hot and dry will be here. We had over 9" fall in April, about twice the normal, and 2.5" fall in the first 5 days in May. Most years, May is our heaviest month. I did get a chance to pick some Green Peas from the garden yesterday. Not quite enough for a meal yet, but they go from perfect to over-ripe overnight, so I had to rescue them. Today's picking, after they dry, will provide more than enough and I'll most likely be processing them (freezing) by Wednesday or Thursday.

While I spent a good bit of time out in the train shed yesterday, much of it was minor stuff. I re-arranged the structures in the new project area a few times but ended up back where I pictured them yesterday. I'll look at again today and then begin adding roads. I will still need to add the backdrop across the window but I am waiting for dry ground outside before cutting the plywood to fit. Not a big issue yet, as I make all structures removable so they won't be in the way when I can tackle it.
I returned to the cemetery and added 24 more headstones and then shuffled through some semi-stashed projects for something to occupy the workbench. I found half of a simple Bar Mills kit for some outbuildings so I started it.
View attachment 187025
The missing pieces on the carriers went into the other structure. It's over in the paint booth right now getting a coat of primer.
View attachment 187026
View attachment 187027
With it out of the way, I started adding the tarpaper to the roof.
View attachment 187028
I'm not particularly fond of those nail holes, but they won't be seen where I intend to use this.

Todd - Good luck with the Bacterial Pneumonia and the treatment routine. Seems yucky to me, but you have to do what you have to do. And best wishes for your daughter as well.

Short and sweet today. I'll leave you with that. Everyone have a great Sunday.
Thanks Willie!

May as well update y'all.

Good Morning All!
46F @70% and raining. NOT supposed to rain, either yesterday, today or tomorrow. Ya....

Jordan and Chandler are BOTH feeling better. Now that they are out of the black sh.t, their bodies are recuperating as young folks should. They both have had a plethora of weirdness in the form of illness, out of sorts and generally not feeling good over the last year or so; nothing any of the docs could point a finger at. Nasty stuff that black sh.t.

Boy I feel a bunch better. Actually got up and went out to the train cave before light. Been playing with a fiber connection between the house and train cave but for the last few weeks have not been able to do anything for any length of time. Much better today. Seems that the Steroid pills and the antibiotic are working. No more antibiotic, but have 3 more days of the Steroid's. Have not needed the inhaler. Cough(ing) bouts are pretty much diminished and not much crap in coming up. Found that NiQuill DM seems to work to quell the cough so I grab a swig every 6 or so hours. Have been sleeping through the night. Did not even nap yesterday. No get up 2P 3 out of 4 days which is new. So, new thought is that I have been walking around with the base crap for an unknown amount of time. When the black mold hit me on the 15th it escalated that base into bad stuff and made itself more aware. In any event, will finish the Steroid and go back into the Doc on Thursday for another XRay to see how things are ..um.. shaping up.

Tomorra I we are off to Sandpoint for the yet a different medical appt. Think I posted about that. St Maries looks to be in the sights after that also - it actually has 2 motels and a bunch of eating places. Dang railroad in town is right next to public roads. How did they do that?

Later

Last night the wife asked what was on TV. I relied, dust. That's when the fight began.

Good morning, all! Thunder is rumbling to our south, and forecasters are predicting more storms and rain the rest of the day.

I ordered "Metals Bank" a Downtown Deco kit. It's not large, not expensive and should be a good kit for me to try resin buildings, I need a bank for the layout anyway.

STAY SAFE
LATER

been some time since I last stopped in. Yesterday I finally got the last of the neighbors" tree leaves off the yard. another 4 large bag fulls. Paused for refreshment now & again.
This steamer is currently on a road trip to Mexico city. More info & itinerary at CPKC website

Attachments

• steam-engine-1570.jpg
    steam-engine-1570.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 11
Afternoon All,

Started out the day with a walk at 72F and humid. I did some easy outdoor chores and that was pretty much my energy level done. Yesterday I had some kind of issue that caused major fatigue. I checked, temp, bs, bp and everything was normal. Maybe it was just my body telling me to recharge my batteries. Still a bit tired today, but I plan not to take a nap today. Tuesday Dad has a VA appointment.

Smudge- I did something similar on my first layout on a 4% curved elevation and a Radius of 17.5. It was the best I could do in the area, but it was hit and miss when it came to derailments.

Mike- Glad the power came back quickly.

John- Good luck with the weathering.

Bill- Neat switcher.

Troy- Good looking pizza.

TomO- Sorry about the duplexes. That sounds like a lot of lost sleep.

Willie- Great looking buildings and neat little shed.

Todd- I wish you the best with your testing and that your family members are better.

Grizzled- Neat tractor.

moermusic- Neat looking steamer.

I hope everyone has a good night.

Afternoon All,

Started out the day with a walk at 72F and humid. I did some easy outdoor chores and that was pretty much my energy level done. Yesterday I had some kind of issue that caused major fatigue. I checked, temp, bs, bp and everything was normal. Maybe it was just my body telling me to recharge my batteries. Still a bit tired today, but I plan not to take a nap today. Tuesday Dad has a VA appointment.

Smudge- I did something similar on my first layout on a 4% curved elevation and a Radius of 17.5. It was the best I could do in the area, but it was hit and miss when it came to derailments.

Mike- Glad the power came back quickly.

John- Good luck with the weathering.

Bill- Neat switcher.

Troy- Good looking pizza.

TomO- Sorry about the duplexes. That sounds like a lot of lost sleep.

Willie- Great looking buildings and neat little shed.

Todd- I wish you the best with your testing and that your family members are better.

Grizzled- Neat tractor.

moermusic- Neat looking steamer.

I hope everyone has a good night.
Curt, it’s no problem, no lost sleep over it. It’s still a good monthly income stream. When it sells it sells

Back