Running Bear's May 2024 Coffee Shop

Good morning from So. Central Wisconsin where the WeatherChannel’s app forecast shows one thing, the weather app my wife uses shows another and the weather guesser on TV show neither. I know Terry and I use different weather apps but TV usually was the same as whatever Terry’s app said. So this morning we have 3 choices so I go with it’s gonna rain this afternoon. Maybe at 2 per mine, at 6 per Terry and the TV says light rains start at 11am and getting heavy around 4. The high on my app is 74, it’s 48f degrees now.

Our remaining 3 duplexes received an offer of purchase in April and we accepted it with a closing date in June. Yesterday our realtor was asked if they could get out of the deal. One of the TV weather guessers and his partner, the 5pm news reader both got laid off this week! It’s been a tough last 6 weeks in the Madison TV market. Quite a few moving on, retiring or laid off across the 4 local channels available. Usually around graduation time in the Spring the local TV market starts bringing in the new talent, this though has been a blood letting…

If I didn’t have a medical appointment on the 7th instead of leaving on the 8th I’d leave tomorrow night for Arizona. I’m bored with little to do and going to a Farmers Market at 9am this morning won’t help. No weathering and no reason to do anything more on the modules now that they are joined back together. I have a guy stopping tomorrow to pick up his weathering project. He and crew are coming from Tennessee while chasing the CPKC steam train on tour celebrating the CP and KCS merger a year ago.

Enjoy your day

Wife says we're going flower shopping. Both for the planters around the house, and for the artificial variety for the family gavesites.

She promised me my fav Mexican place for lunch.

TomO: That sucks on the duplexes... and more so since it's a situation beyond the control of the would-be purchasers. But, commercial property will probably move eventually.

Wife says we're going flower shopping. Both for the planters around the house, and for the artificial variety for the family gavesites.

She promised me my fav Mexican place for lunch.

TomO: That sucks on the duplexes... and more so since it's a situation beyond the control of the would-be purchasers. But, commercial property will probably move eventually.
I’m not sure the lost of employment is a problem as they rent one duplex now, the other 5 rented (and they R) will more than cover the mortgage. I don’t know this for sure but it maybe the fact they have to relocate elsewhere for new jobs. Will they still be together. The Madison TV market used to be very stable and while not big city they left only for bigger jobs. That hasn’t been true since Covid

Morning all,

Running updates on the servers this morning. Kind of a slow day as I've had 2 police officers in to visit. They just wanted some help getting their new phones setup.

Christian: I see your "I wanna Rock" and raise you a "We're not gonna take it"

Mark Metcalf was, IIRC a buddy with Dee Snider. For those who don't know, Mark Metcalf played a similar type of character in the movie "Animal House" (Douglas C. Neidermeyer). I never realized he did 2 videos with Twisted Sister. And for those who are or are not curious, I do own the movie... and had it on VHS when it became available back in the day but now only on DVD. That movie is almost 50 years old.

TomO: Sorry to hear you may be losing a deal. Which reminds me I have to call the bank Monday as I put some down on the principle of the house and they credited towards future payments and escrow instead of principle. Nothing like having it go to the wrong place.

Last edited:
Good Morning All. Cloudy and 68° with much cooler weather today at just 76°. Yesterday was 83° but the predicted rain never really came. It did rain briefly around 8:30 last night but it wasn't enough to show up in the rain gauge. 40% chance today, 100% tonight and then diminishing chances through Monday night. I'm tired of this rain. I can't mow because the ground is too mushy and weeds/grass growth is out of control.

Wife hasn't run out of indoor projects for me yet, maybe this morning! That's what I did yesterday; moved some furniture around and then moved it back! Did a load of laundry, vacuumed places where the Shark vacuum doesn't do well and removed some trash.

Projects continued out in the train shed yesterday. I had painted the borders on the two business signs for the MR III structure and then mounted them.
IMG_0059.JPG

IMG_0060.JPG

IMG_0061.JPG

The recessed entryway in the center leads to an upstairs restaurant that I haven't found appropriate signs for yet.
I also fooled around a bit with that 16" x 48" blank area in Charlottesville that I described the other day. It looks like I am going to retain 2 of the previous temporary structures, add the MR III structure and 3 from Chet's Logan Valley layout.
IMG_0063.JPG

Roads and other infrastructure will take up a lot of space here.
The retained buildings include the apartment building and the library.
IMG_0066.JPG

The 3 from Chet include Garner's Market which I enhanced and added figures to last August.
IMG_0065.JPG

IMG_0072.JPG
IMG_0071.JPG

The other 2 include the Dusty Saddle Saloon and Town Drugs, done in November and June last year.
IMG_0068.JPG

IMG_0069.JPG

Town Drugs is still on tap to get some additional detailing and figures now that a location is known.

John - I would go with weathering on that SW9 shell. Much easier than starting over.
Hughie - I haven't had time to watch all of that video yet, but the first 9 minutes were quite interesting. I have it bookmarked on You Tube to finish up when I get a little more time. I am quite a fan of Doo-Wop music.
Patrick - I have waited up to 4 weeks for Parsnips to germinate.
Mike - I can relate to not having power as ours has gone out twice in the last 10 days due to lightning strikes. They generally get it back on pretty quickly though. Less than 3 hours both times even though it was between midnight and 4:00 am! I know from past conversations with several crew chiefs, that when inclement weather is imminent that the on-call crews head out into their areas and hang out in known trouble areas. Even transformer replacement when needed is done rather quickly.
Tom O - Good luck with the duplexes. If the market for housing up there is anything like it is in this area, they won't be on the market long, and you could probably re-offer them at a higher price, and get it.

A lot of occasions and remembrances today besides free comic book day. It's the 54th anniversary of the Kent State shootings. Today is Kentucky Derby day and is also World Naked Gardening Day.

Everyone have a great Saturday and a wonderful weekend.

Good Morning!

I've been ordered to have a garden arch gateway built by Monday morning, so the wife can plant her climbing roses. Those plants are very important to her, as she is popular on a garden forum, and loves to chit-chat on there. I'm glad she's found a decent place to be for her idle time.
I cut most of the parts yesterday, so I'll try and have it built by days end. Don't think I had enough PT wood, though.

Not much to report today in the trains sector.
Just this. What kind of an animal cuts the head off a Christmas ginger-bread man from another kit, just so he can make a backing for a sign.
Gas_05-04-2024 (1).JPG

Gas_05-02-2024 (1).JPG

Hope you have a wonderful day!

Off to work, freshly brewed mug of tea in hand.

Whilst at work, will be thinking about what to do about a spares/repair Athearn Blue Box SW9 I was working on that has gone wrong as the blue rattle can has gone pitted and mottled.
View attachment 186939
View attachment 186940

Do I strip the paint off and start again or should I attempt to heavily weather it, lots of dirt and patched out markings etc?
DOT 3 brake fluid----- Yep, clean really well and use primer for the next round.

Good Morning All. Cloudy and 68° with much cooler weather today at just 76°. Yesterday was 83° but the predicted rain never really came. It did rain briefly around 8:30 last night but it wasn't enough to show up in the rain gauge. 40% chance today, 100% tonight and then diminishing chances through Monday night. I'm tired of this rain. I can't mow because the ground is too mushy and weeds/grass growth is out of control.

Wife hasn't run out of indoor projects for me yet, maybe this morning! That's what I did yesterday; moved some furniture around and then moved it back! Did a load of laundry, vacuumed places where the Shark vacuum doesn't do well and removed some trash.

Projects continued out in the train shed yesterday. I had painted the borders on the two business signs for the MR III structure and then mounted them.
View attachment 186973
View attachment 186974
View attachment 186975
The recessed entryway in the center leads to an upstairs restaurant that I haven't found appropriate signs for yet.
I also fooled around a bit with that 16" x 48" blank area in Charlottesville that I described the other day. It looks like I am going to retain 2 of the previous temporary structures, add the MR III structure and 3 from Chet's Logan Valley layout.
View attachment 186976
Roads and other infrastructure will take up a lot of space here.
The retained buildings include the apartment building and the library.
View attachment 186977
The 3 from Chet include Garner's Market which I enhanced and added figures to last August.
View attachment 186978
View attachment 186979View attachment 186980
The other 2 include the Dusty Saddle Saloon and Town Drugs, done in November and June last year.
View attachment 186981
View attachment 186982
Town Drugs is still on tap to get some additional detailing and figures now that a location is known.

John - I would go with weathering on that SW9 shell. Much easier than starting over.
Hughie - I haven't had time to watch all of that video yet, but the first 9 minutes were quite interesting. I have it bookmarked on You Tube to finish up when I get a little more time. I am quite a fan of Doo-Wop music.
Patrick - I have waited up to 4 weeks for Parsnips to germinate.
Mike - I can relate to not having power as ours has gone out twice in the last 10 days due to lightning strikes. They generally get it back on pretty quickly though. Less than 3 hours both times even though it was between midnight and 4:00 am! I know from past conversations with several crew chiefs, that when inclement weather is imminent that the on-call crews head out into their areas and hang out in known trouble areas. Even transformer replacement when needed is done rather quickly.
Tom O - Good luck with the duplexes. If the market for housing up there is anything like it is in this area, they won't be on the market long, and you could probably re-offer them at a higher price, and get it.

A lot of occasions and remembrances today besides free comic book day. It's the 54th anniversary of the Kent State shootings. Today is Kentucky Derby day and is also World Naked Gardening Day.

Everyone have a great Saturday and a wonderful weekend.
Willie, it is! The multi residential and high end residential real estate market is booming in our area. That is why we thought it’d be a good time to list in March. Strangely the realtors wanted to enforce the sales contract. They had been talking to Terry about it she told me this morning. When she told the realtors if they will handle the legal fees we would fight the sales agreement, they said no. We are in agreement to just cancel the offer, the realtor will just get their commissions later. Neither of us are worried as we know they will sell as a package eventually. If not it’s still a great monthly income stream

Mixed news received yesterday on my recent property purchase. Totally missed by me in my “due diligence”. The wooded lot someday to be residential lots is across the street from the area water utility line. They have a 3 year hold until 2026 on adding to the district. I prefer my own well but most around here want utility provided water. The good news is the sewer lines are within the district and are expandable, no septic which is a huge relief.

More good news is: The surveyor, Terry and the daughter have an idea where the horse trails on the new property will be cut in. Tree marking for removal will begin after the 13th. The trails are 12’ wide tree trunk to tree trunk and a minimum 12’ to the lowest hanging branches. Lots of new firewood coming. That’s it for the real estate adventures

Morning folks

Clear, 31F, with a forecast high of 63. In short, a great day to remove a 1939 Oliver 80 Row Crop from the shed where it hasn't moved for more than 3 decades. Yesterday, I checked out the IR compressor in the shop (that hadn't run for a couple of years) then fired it up and aired up the two low tires on the tractor, both on the right side. I think the rear will be fine but I didn't put a lot of air in the REALLY checked front. Hopefully that makes it onto my brother's trailer next week. A couple of friends are coming out this afternoon to help with the extraction.

Railroad activities are likely going to be restricted to some reading the next few days.

Good Morning All!

38F @ 69% and partly. To get to 68F later. Did not quite freeze last night BUT it was supposed to be the last cold night until ...fall. Have 6 Roma plants that are busting out of their containers wanting dirt. Ok. so be it.

Got the XRay back and found that I have Bacterial Pneumonia. The only thing we can come up with as to the source is the visit we made to the Daughters on the 15th ( last month ) and I pulled the cover off a wall heater that was failing between the kitchen and bathroom. The fan would run, but no heat. Yup, piece of nichrome wire busted; so I twisted the busted part back together to make it usable until a new heater/wire can be found. A week ago one of Jordan's water lines broke in her kitchen and flooded her place and the other renter living in the basement areas. Welp, demo started and THAT opened up a huge can o worms. Apparently the water has been a very small leak for ...guessing... months; maybe years. Ya, you guessed it. Black mold all over the place. Landlord is saying he is currently into this about 25K getting it done. Chad is a good guy and we do not think he is trying to get out of anything. Jordan has 'renters insurance' and since she has no kitchen or water, they will pay for motel and a percentage of food. The demo was supposedly done yesterday although it is unknown if all of the black crap has been chased down and eradicated. Think that the City ( Missoula ) has become involved so everybody is in full view. She was stressing for 3 or 4 days until the insurance came though.

Anyway back to my issue. I do not think I have ever had Bacterial Pneumonia. Virual Pneumonia 10 or 15 years ago and that did not kick my butt anything like this stuff did. Cough cough sneeze fart cough cough; never ending and sleep was out of the question. Recliner was best as I could keep my head up; no clue of how many movies I watched. I broke the fever Wednesday night ( think I posted that ) but went into the doc anyway Thursday. Got Prednesone, heavy duty antibiotic Azithromycin 500mg and an Albuterol Sulfate inhaler. God, just what I need ... more drugs. The Prednesone is by far the worst. Doing a quick pack ( or what ever they call it ). Tastes like sh.t, smells like sh.t and that is *after* swallowing the sh.t in the first place. You can see it in your blood vessels as it makes the blood darkin up. Dropped the drawers on Friday morning and my legs looked like they had a modified chicken wire all over the place ( dark blood vessels ). Prednesone is all I smell or taste right now. Can't even taste bacon! Ya, Ya have lost almost 10Lbs which puts me below 200Lb and not good.

enough rant - hope I did not become bhorish.

Now for the fun stuff. Get to go to Cancer Care NW in Sandpoint ID on Monday and talk with them about my low Testosterone. I have lost *most* of my body mass since my Prostrate fix. Did radiology in 2020 ( Ya, covid times ), my PSA has not bounced and has been steady at 0.04 for 3 years now. Testosterone also has a lot to do with a guys 'get up and go'. In my case I have to really push myself into doing just about anything, including cooking! Don't think that appointment will take too long, so we are going to head to St Maries, ID for lunch. Planning on train pictures and maybe chasing if the opportunity arises. Been awhile since I have been there, Maria has not. Geesh, that means over 24 years! Hmmm. After that maybe to Wallace ID as I spied an old tipple mine on the side of the hill begging to be a photo shoot subject. Will see how close we can get.

Later

Good afternoon Al!

Been a busy day so far with housekeeping chores, but most have been accomplished.

The power was restored shortly after 11pm last night, so things are back to normal. This is the second longest period without power in the 19 years we’ve owned this house. The longest has been 10 hours which was a result of an ice storm. Not too bad I guess.

Everyone have a safe day!

Good Morning All!

38F @ 69% and partly. To get to 68F later. Did not quite freeze last night BUT it was supposed to be the last cold night until ...fall. Have 6 Roma plants that are busting out of their containers wanting dirt. Ok. so be it.

Got the XRay back and found that I have Bacterial Pneumonia. The only thing we can come up with as to the source is the visit we made to the Daughters on the 15th ( last month ) and I pulled the cover off a wall heater that was failing between the kitchen and bathroom. The fan would run, but no heat. Yup, piece of nichrome wire busted; so I twisted the busted part back together to make it usable until a new heater/wire can be found. A week ago one of Jordan's water lines broke in her kitchen and flooded her place and the other renter living in the basement areas. Welp, demo started and THAT opened up a huge can o worms. Apparently the water has been a very small leak for ...guessing... months; maybe years. Ya, you guessed it. Black mold all over the place. Landlord is saying he is currently into this about 25K getting it done. Chad is a good guy and we do not think he is trying to get out of anything. Jordan has 'renters insurance' and since she has no kitchen or water, they will pay for motel and a percentage of food. The demo was supposedly done yesterday although it is unknown if all of the black crap has been chased down and eradicated. Think that the City ( Missoula ) has become involved so everybody is in full view. She was stressing for 3 or 4 days until the insurance came though.

Anyway back to my issue. I do not think I have ever had Bacterial Pneumonia. Virual Pneumonia 10 or 15 years ago and that did not kick my butt anything like this stuff did. Cough cough sneeze fart cough cough; never ending and sleep was out of the question. Recliner was best as I could keep my head up; no clue of how many movies I watched. I broke the fever Wednesday night ( think I posted that ) but went into the doc anyway Thursday. Got Prednesone, heavy duty antibiotic Azithromycin 500mg and an Albuterol Sulfate inhaler. God, just what I need ... more drugs. The Prednesone is by far the worst. Doing a quick pack ( or what ever they call it ). Tastes like sh.t, smells like sh.t and that is *after* swallowing the sh.t in the first place. You can see it in your blood vessels as it makes the blood darkin up. Dropped the drawers on Friday morning and my legs looked like they had a modified chicken wire all over the place ( dark blood vessels ). Prednesone is all I smell or taste right now. Can't even taste bacon! Ya, Ya have lost almost 10Lbs which puts me below 200Lb and not good.

enough rant - hope I did not become bhorish.

Now for the fun stuff. Get to go to Cancer Care NW in Sandpoint ID on Monday and talk with them about my low Testosterone. I have lost *most* of my body mass since my Prostrate fix. Did radiology in 2020 ( Ya, covid times ), my PSA has not bounced and has been steady at 0.04 for 3 years now. Testosterone also has a lot to do with a guys 'get up and go'. In my case I have to really push myself into doing just about anything, including cooking! Don't think that appointment will take too long, so we are going to head to St Maries, ID for lunch. Planning on train pictures and maybe chasing if the opportunity arises. Been awhile since I have been there, Maria has not. Geesh, that means over 24 years! Hmmm. After that maybe to Wallace ID as I spied an old tipple mine on the side of the hill begging to be a photo shoot subject. Will see how close we can get.

Later
I'm sorry to hear you are going through all that. I hope they get your daughter squared away soon.

Be sure to finish all the antibiotics and follow up with your doctor. Any pneumonia can be serious, and it sounds like you have it bad.

I hope you feel better soon.

Back