Running Bear's May 2024 Coffee Shop

Good Morning!
A-bit frosty out there; temps sitting at 33F with no cloud.
Guy- Nice photo- I hope you didn't have to work too hard outside.
Thankyou, Curt. I try to work smart, never too hard. I had my son over here to do the heavier lifting, like getting out the table saw. He thought he had a day off work.;)

I'm still working on that gas station model as time allows. Slowly getting the walls built. Obviously, I am an imperfect modeller:
Gas_05-03-2024 (1).JPG

Here's another angle on that SD75I, for those who are enjoying my prototype photos:
CN 5710_04-29-2024 (1).JPG

TomO - Thankyou for the kind words.

Can't hang around; dog to walk, square looking garden arch to build, and models to make.
I spent $200.00 bucks on plants and trees for the wife yesterday. She works weekends, but, I expect she'll be too busy with her hobby to bother me on Monday!

Have a great day!

Good Morning All. Light fog and 66°. Showers still in the forecast for today, although it appears that they have already moved east. Thunderstorms are still in the forecast through Monday. I don't want or need more rain right now. Between Monday (2.25") and yesterday (1.5"), we have had enough; but the forecast calls for up to another 1.5" coming up. Good news though, is that all of the neighborhood cows are bathed and clean!

Yesterday's weekly grocery trek went as planned, but took longer since my wife went along. She "shops" while I stick with the "list" without being enticed with all of the fancy displays. I don't know about the rest of the country, but the cost of no sugar soft drinks locally have doubled in the last two years. I used to spend $2.50/12 pack of 12 oz cans on sale; they are now $5. Target, Walmart or Sam's Club are no better. Heck, beer has only gone up 6%! Gasoline seems to have stabilized locally to between $3.35/gal - $3.39/gal. We stopped by the nursery at Home Depot and wife bought more bedding plants that we have no room for, figuring that I will find somewhere to put them. I'll visit the stash of nursery buckets for them.
We headed for a new Mexican restaurant in town for supper, but left when informed of the wait time. So I enjoyed steak while she had chicken-fried chicken at a nearby steak joint. For a small town of less than 10K residents, we have a surprisingly diverse and plentiful number of casual dining places to choose from. About half of them though, do not have liquor licenses and are BYOB.

I only spent a little time out in the train shed yesterday and mainly did the signs for MR III.
IMG_0053.JPG

In the process I broke a mounting peg.
IMG_0054.JPG

Cut off the old one, drilled out a hole (carefully) and used a piece of Evergreen styrene to make a new one. Here iit is with the other sign that I decaled.
IMG_0057.JPG

I painted the borders, but went to supper before taking a picture.

James - About 20 years ago, our company installed cameras in all of our diesel trucks. Our drivers were experiencing incidents of "brake-checking" and several had rear-end collisions as a result. Cameras paid for themselves after using the footage to contest accident claims. It is hard to imagine drivers putting themselves at such risk by doing that with an 18-wheeler.
Curt - The black paper is primarily a view-block so the building doesn't look empty. I will replace some of it when I download and print scenes from the Internet to use.
May the 3rd is National Paranormal day!
It's also National No Pants Day. From the music world, today would have been James Brown's 91st birthday, Mr. Dynamite!

Everyone have a great Friday.

Well, howdy there internet peeps and those with Tinnitus! Sorry: THOSE WITH TINNITUS!

It's Troy again...

I had a rough tinnitus day and night. Ended up awake at 1:30 and knew I'd best head down to the recliner. Put the babbling brook on the youtubez, the earbuds in the ears, and the cat put himself on the blanket I was using. After convincing said cat to not chew on the wire between the computer and earbudz, I did get some sleep. Woke up at 6:30

Yesterday the tinnitus climbed to a 7 out of 10. It was at 9 when I woke at 1:30. Previous good days, I had it down to a 2 and could ignore it. New good days were getting it down to a 4 or 5 (more 5s than 4s).

Yesterday it ramped up in the morning and didn't stop despite all of my treatments?

I've been trying to figure out triggers for it. With the pulled muscle in the back, I'd been taking ibuprofen. And more for the sore muscles the week before. Maybe??? Ibuprofen can be damaging to the auditory system, so I've been sparring in its use. And that's probably more of a long term damage than a short term ramp up... but???

the other thing I've changed is alcohol and other sugars (like donuts and poptarts). I laid off all of those for the past three weeks. I re-started with the bourbon cocktails end of last week.

The third thing I've been dealing with with my stress and anxiety. I'm a worry wart and "rehearse" potential conversations over and over. This ongoing tinnitus cycle is making me take a hard look at those behaviors. I am working to defuse those "conversations" in my brain as they begin. A lot of deep breathing with eyes closed. "Mindfulness" for those who understand the term.

So, for this current wave of the high pitched whine, it looks like I'm cutting the alcohol again. Barring an unforseen injury, the ibuprofen is already off the table.

Hearing aids: I was excited to get the Jabra hearing aids. But, I'm going in today to get them adjusted. Reading the book, I see they have a Tinnitus Sound Generator (White noise)... but, it doesn't give me a lot of control. I see why they recommend I use the sound generators built into my iphone.

We'll see if the tech can do anything about getting the new ears up to snuff.
Troy: Yup, I am also trying to figure out the precursor to the Tinnitus. Mine checked at the last hearing test was 8KHz @ 80Db. Seems that I also have those stress and anxiety wakups which correspond to an unusually high(er) Tinnitus level. Most of the time when I get woken, I am not worried about something that is real, but some imagined process that my sub consciousness comes up with. After the wake up, and given a few minutes to catch my breath; sorta speak it is easily seen the those thoughts were bogus keep brain busy stuff. I used to think that the body was waking me up as it was time 2P. After looking into the Tinnitus stuff, I found that I was associating one thing for the other and ended up getting up and going. Once I did the 20 ft walk to the bathroom, the Tinnitus would down-rev to the ..um.. normal level. Ok, though I, next time I will try just sitting up in bed and wait 20 or 30 seconds to see what shakes out. Same as the Go2P routine, Tinnitus would down-rev. Note that not getting up made my 'catch my breath' routine a little longer and it did take time to get all the muscles to relax enough to go back to sleep.

The 'catch my breath' stuff is/was more or less actually catching my breath as I would be 'chop breathing' or 'chunk breathing'. There probably is a term for it. Also, letting the upper shoulder muscles relax slowed down my breathing and I would be good to go. I don't know if the Tinnitus was at a lower level a min or 2 after waking as there is no real reference to judge by. I do know that I start hearing stuff in a sleeping bedroom the longer I stay vertical ( dogs/cats/wife snoring/farting/yawning ... crap like that. ). This stuff had been happening before my 3pass, so I assume that it is not cardio related.

So a few days ago I got 'the crap'. Pretty much blocked my breathing and forced me to cough when inhaling. Temp went up to 102F Wednesday and I tried to get an appt with the doc. Had to wait until yesterday am. Talked with her about the 'chop/chunk' breathing during the wake-up's wondering what could cause. She agrees that it probably not cardio and would look into it. I suggested Tinnitus and got a raised brow so I got her interest.

I have been dealing with the VA and have been labeled disabled because of my hearing loss. Think it is 20%. VSO wants to add in the Tinnitus stuff of which if that happens I go to 80%.

Oh, I have found that sugars, carbs and booze do not seem to add or detract from my screaching, but sometimes salt and acidic friut do. Go figure.

Good luck searching!

Later

Howdi forum folks

30mins left at work. outside around 17c Celsius, weekend incoming what better can you have!

I have a maybe "dumb" question for you all. And yes i know iam a fan i should know that but.
How do engeneers or loc pilots get into there locomotivs? i just recognized that those diesel beasts dont have doors on the side?
Do they enter there workplace trough the front door in the nose? o_O

cheers
jay

Howdi forum folks

30mins left at work. outside around 17c Celsius, weekend incoming what better can you have!

I have a maybe "dumb" question for you all. And yes i know iam a fan i should know that but.
How do engeneers or loc pilots get into there locomotivs? i just recognized that those diesel beasts dont have doors on the side?

cheers
jay
The safety cab locomotives have a door on the right side, rear, and a door in the nose. If it is a standard cab, there is a door right side rear and left side, front. If you look closely at the nose door, it opens outward and fits over the hole in the nose. In case of collision, the door isn't forced open by impact, and doesn't fill the cab with whatever they just hit.

Howdi forum folks

cheers
jay
Yeah, what Terry said!

I'm still here!
Had a call (video) from the oncology Doctor yesterday. She said that the PetScan showed that things look much better!
We are aways form completing the Chemo (I fell again and banged up my arm causing open wounds).
So, now we have to wait on the additional Chemo for those to heal ... I told KATE to lock me in a closet so I do not hurt myself again.
According to the Doctor, the tumor HAS NOT become larger and may be a few MM smaller - that we are not out of the woods yet, but maybe some daylight? Whether true or not, It cheered me up!

Weather-wise, we are still more or less stuck in the 50 to 75 range with one day hitting the 81 spot!

Off to work, freshly brewed mug of tea in hand.

Whilst at work, will be thinking about what to do about a spares/repair Athearn Blue Box SW9 I was working on that has gone wrong as the blue rattle can has gone pitted and mottled.
20240503_142724.jpg

20240503_142729.jpg

Do I strip the paint off and start again or should I attempt to heavily weather it, lots of dirt and patched out markings etc?

Whilst at work, will be thinking about what to do about a spares/repair Athearn Blue Box SW9 I was working on that has gone wrong as the blue rattle can has gone pitted and mottled.
View attachment 186939
View attachment 186940

Do I strip the paint off and start again or should I attempt to heavily weather it, lots of dirt and patched out markings etc?
Looks like you tried painting it in one coat, one sitting. Not generally wise to do that. Try multiple light coats instead.

Good morning all!

Wife called me yesterday afternoon and said something was wrong with the garage door. When I got home last night, I was able to confirm that it had broken a spring on one side. I called the local garage door guy last night and left a message. This morning at 7:30 our ring doorbell goes off and its the repair guy to look at the door. He had us back up and running in about 45 minutes. I would call that exceptional service!

I thought about maybe trying to do this myself, but those springs kind of scare me a little. This is the second one we have broke since we had him install the new door and opener 15 years ago, so I guess that's not too bad.

Time to move on to the next chore on the list. Cat everyone later!

Have a great day everyone!

Would you believe it, another thunderstorm last night with an inch of rain.
Good morning, all! It's supposed to be, April showers bring May flowers, not May showers. And more rain forecasted for this afternoon.

Mike - I found installing the spring pretty easy. It was the adjusting that ate my lunch.
John - What if you used 900 or 1200 grit sandpaper to knock off the overspray and repaint.
Jay - What Karl said about what Terry said.
Sherrel - A little good news can't hurt. It sounds as though you are making progress in the right direction.
Willie - I watched this last night. Thought you might enjoy it.

And for railroading,
1714751409440.jpeg

STAY SAFE
LATER

Tinnitus and garage door springs.
I've had the hearing loss and tinnitus since I retired from the Corps in 93. I got 10% disability and free hearing aids. Hearing has since diminished pretty bad and the Tinnitus is so loud I'm surprised other people can't hear it. I asked for a review and got a letter back sayin 10% is all ya get for hearing loss if ya can still hear even a little bit. I'm hooking up with a VFW assistance to go at it again.
The ole garage door spring surprise. The springs that ride along the track that the door rollers follow when the door lifts can be deadly if not wired in place. They can fly around the garage doing all kinds of damage. A simple wire line can be run down the inside of the spring and secured on each end to keep it in place should the end hook rust off. The over the door along the head wall type spring, not so much a danger but takes a while to replace. Just makes a horrific noise if it lets loose in the middle of the night.

View attachment 186939
View attachment 186940

That’s called “fish eye”, and happens when the surface you are painting has contaminants that don’t play well with paint. It forces the paint away from the contaminants, causing that speckled look. If you really want to do it right, strip the paint, make sure th surface is free of stuff, even dust, and try again.

View attachment 186939
View attachment 186940

If it were me, I would drop it in 91% or better isopropyl alcohol for a few days, then us a medium stiff brush to clean off the remaining paint. Wear gloves and DON"T touch it with your fingers! Gotta have gloves!!
There obviously was something under the paint that interfered with adhesion of the new paint, and may cause paint loss later.

I'm still here!
Had a call (video) from the oncology Doctor yesterday. She said that the PetScan showed that things look much better!
We are aways form completing the Chemo (I fell again and banged up my arm causing open wounds).
So, now we have to wait on the additional Chemo for those to heal ... I told KATE to lock me in a closet so I do not hurt myself again.
According to the Doctor, the tumor HAS NOT become larger and may be a few MM smaller - that we are not out of the woods yet, but maybe some daylight? Whether true or not, It cheered me up!

Weather-wise, we are still more or less stuck in the 50 to 75 range with one day hitting the 81 spot!
Great news Captain Weems!!! Keep up the good fight, we will pray for more good news!!

Back