Zephyr DC power pack?

holshot14

Hello all, I currently have a Zephyer dcs51 setup on a 4x4 test track that I use for incoming purchases. In the near future I will be picking up 2 new brass releases from overland, and the new Genset from atlas. I want to be able to run these out of the box for testing purposes. Am I correct in thinking I need a DC transformer and I can run that through the dcs51? Any help?

Greetings, a review of the Digitrax site showed that the Zephyr DCS51 came with the PS314 power supply and is not sold separately. It looks like the PS314 is all that is needed. If you don't have a supply, the PS314 is a 100-240 vac 47-64 Hz input for a 13.8 v 3.6 amp output. A supply with those values should work ok. I would verify the + / - pin configuration prior to use and a note to Digitrax is always good. Doc'

Hotshot, if the locos you are referring to are DC only you can run them with the Zephyr without the need of a DC power pack but I wouldn't run them for long as the performance will be less than stellar and long term operation could prove harmful to their motors. It's an issue of the "type" of power that a DCC controller uses verses DC. They will also make a very annoying sound as they operate, again due to the DCC power.

Best to just get a DC power pack to test them with. This way you won't risk damaging a DC loco running them with a DCC power pack. If they are decoder equipped, use the Zephyr.

There is a way to wire DC power packs to the jump ports on the Zephyr and they are intended as an extra DCC throttle. Up to two can be used in this manner but you should read your owners manual for all the details.

For loco testing purposes, you can find plenty of inexpensive DC power packs on the well-known auction site. You don't need anything fancy.

- Jeff

Back