Your Opinion's Gentleman

Smudge617

I'm re-naming this reefer and making my own decals, nothing fancy but I'd like your thoughts as to how realistic they would be, these are two mockups I've made.
I think the numbers should really be smaller, but 8 font size is the lowest I can go, does the PNR logo maybe larger ???

1697989417993.png

1697989494186.png

You said gentlemen but I’ll put my two cents in too.
I’d have the PNR and numbers on the other end of the car but hard to say for sure without seeing the whole car.
Fonts look just fine to me.

AAR standard would be the car initials and number on the side to the left of the door (if you put it on the right side of the door where you have it, when the door is open it will cover the initials). Then position them so the "n" isn't over a rib. Way more difficult ($$$) to paint something over a rib than between them.

Personally, I would either increase the size of the car number so it straddles a rib (PN 839 in one panel and R 546 in the other or shrink both so they fit completely between the ribs in one panel.

If you HAVE to have the initial and number on the right end then the PN needs to go in the panel with the EXW stenciling and above the car number, so it won't be covered by the door.

AAR standard would be the car initials and number on the side to the left of the door (if you put it on the right side of the door where you have it, when the door is open it will cover the initials). Then position them so the "n" isn't over a rib. Way more difficult ($$$) to paint something over a rib than between them.

Personally, I would either increase the size of the car number so it straddles a rib (PN 839 in one panel and R 546 in the other or shrink both so they fit completely between the ribs in one panel.

If you HAVE to have the initial and number on the right end then the PN needs to go in the panel with the EXW stenciling and above the car number, so it won't be covered by the door.
Ok, I'll enlarge it so it straddles the rib and see how that looks, thanks.

The size is fine. You should have PN on one side of the rib and the R on the other. They should be on the left side along with the number. The only time it'll go across the rib is a large logo.View attachment 175832View attachment 175833View attachment 175834
I intend to have a large PN-R logo on the right and a smaller P-N one on the left with the car number underneath split into 3X2 digits, so I need to enlarge the car number.

I'll do another mock-up when I get home tonight.

Last edited:
As others have pointed out, reporting marks go on the left so the open door does not cover them. Typically the number is 12" tall, as on the LV car and generally just below the initials, but I have seen larger as on the CSXT car. Having the name PNR on the right is not unusual in much larger font, but it is not considered a reporting mark on that side. You don't want a carman or conductor spending time searching for the reporting marks.

As others have pointed out, reporting marks go on the left so the open door does not cover them. Typically the number is 12" tall, as on the LV car and generally just below the initials, but I have seen larger as on the CSXT car. Having the name PNR on the right is not unusual in much larger font, but it is not considered a reporting mark on that side. You don't want a carman or conductor spending time searching for the reporting marks.
Thank's, so at 12" tall, to scale that would be a little under a 1/4" I think 🤔?

Back